Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2024, 11:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Does increased truck height change hitch and towing? (Asking for my behemoth of a tru

Hi all! I have previously been towing my 25ft airstream with a 2013 F150, and just purchased a 2500 HD Chevy Silverado of the newest generation which means it’s significantly taller - no lift, just so. damn. tall. This may be a silly question but will this impact how I can tow with my current hitch? Will I need to get a different hitch to make up for the height difference? Wondering if anyone else has navigated this before… thank you!

wonderlust87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
You'll need to adjust the drop on your hitch to match the height of the trailer.
Old 05-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Absolutely need to adjust the hitch. Whether you need a new hitch will depend upon what you have now and if it can be adjusted accordingly. Going from a quarter ton to 3/4 ton will affect not only the hitch height (most 3/4 tons are 6 inches higher than 1/4 tons) but also the weight distribution set up. Remember you want a level trailer with so much weight on the tongue (10 to 15%). Some of it will depend upon how much drop you get on your rear suspension. A 3/4 ton will have less drop and thus the need for a different WDH adjustment.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlust87 View Post
Hi all! I have previously been towing my 25ft airstream with a 2013 F150, and just purchased a 2500 HD Chevy Silverado of the newest generation which means it’s significantly taller - no lift, just so. damn. tall. This may be a silly question but will this impact how I can tow with my current hitch? Will I need to get a different hitch to make up for the height difference? Wondering if anyone else has navigated this before… thank you!

Yes, but it will not be significant. Hitch heights are usually within a couple of inches of one another, especially among the same brands. The biggest difference comes from going from 2WD to 4x4. Then, the 2500 frame will be higher, but its usually not significant.

You will need to raise the hitch on the shank a notch. But remember there will be less hitch settling when connected up to the 2500 frame as opposed to the 1500 frame.

If your 2500 does NOT have rancho or billstein rear shocks from the factory I would immediately change them and get it overwith now. Before you set up.

The 2500 will be a much much better tow vehicle for your length camper. It will be immediately noticeable that it handles the trailer weight better and will be more stable.

Your current hitch, should have adjustment left for the 2500. Try it and see where it settles.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
When we went from a 1500 to a 2500 we had to drop the hitch height two inches. We also go with a little less spring bar tension.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:00 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
You just need to adjust the hitch and ball up, till it is level with the trailer. I prefer my trailer to nose down a tiny bit, and you should be good. Never have it so high the trailer noses up, even a little bit leaves you with potential sway problems. I just went from an equalizer hitch setup and installed a shocker hitch, with a sway bar, really impressed with it.
xfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Portal , Arizona
Measure then get a drop bar to keep your Airstream level or with a bit of drop. You can use the same ball.. I did that for mine - cost about 35 to 65 dollars for the hitch. Get a locking pin. I had mine stolen in Tucson while I was having lunch.
ant guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:32 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Draw bars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlust87 View Post

You will need to change your “draw bar”… I purchased my trailer used, with a WD hitch, my 3500 dually, was much to tall, so I had to source a longer, 10-12” “drop!!!” draw bar.
Amazon I think? Spend the money for a heavy duty 10-15k pound capacity bar.
You may still need the WD hitch, I have an anti sway bar I use for mine, don’t really need the WD bars with a 1ton dually.
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:21 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You may / will need a new shank. This is the part of the assembly that plugs into the receiver on the truck. The other end of the shank is where the "ball" for the hitch mounts. In some cases, the receiver on the new truck will be bigger than the old one (> 2" maybe). You deal with that as well as dealing with the change in "drop". Both need to be right for things to work correctly.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
When we went to an F250 we had to adjust our Equalizer hitch 2 inches. We had this done at a Ford RV center since we didn't have the proper tools to do this. We also needed to get an adapter sleeve to go down to the 2 inch sharft on our hitch ( and a longer hitch pin)

We looked at just getting a 2.5 inch hitch, but we didn't want a heavier hitch to handle.

Here is the reducer we got. https://www.fordoempartsoutlet.com/p...CSOwQAvD_BwEAt
At first I got one from e-trailer, but it lacked the flanged end and was really really hard to get the hole lined up correctly.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
When we went to an F250 we had to adjust our Equalizer hitch 2 inches. We had this done at a Ford RV center since we didn't have the proper tools to do this. We also needed to get an adapter sleeve to go down to the 2 inch sharft on our hitch ( and a longer hitch pin)

We looked at just getting a 2.5 inch hitch, but we didn't want a heavier hitch to handle.

Here is the reducer we got. https://www.fordoempartsoutlet.com/p...CSOwQAvD_BwEAt
At first I got one from e-trailer, but it lacked the flanged end and was really really hard to get the hole lined up correctly.
When moving from an F150 to an F250 we went ahead and upsized the "stinger" (as I call it) to the larger size. I also tried sleeve first but maybe I got a poorly designed one and I hated dealing with it immediately!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I recently switched from a Chevy 1500 to a Chevy 2500. I dropped my Equalizer hitch 2" and removed 1 washer to angle it less. This puts more weight on the rear of the truck.
My new truck came with a sleeve for the larger receiver. I can't tell the difference. It doesn't move at all when the pin and lock are in.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
May be able to adjust your current, but might need a new “stinger” or drop shank.

Might as well get the 2.5 to avoid having to use a reducer sleeve. The sleeves cause extra slop and can wallow out the holes and possibly cause the pin or sleeve to get stuck.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Absolutely need to adjust the hitch. Whether you need a new hitch will depend upon what you have now and if it can be adjusted accordingly. Going from a quarter ton to 3/4 ton will affect not only the hitch height (most 3/4 tons are 6 inches higher than 1/4 tons) but also the weight distribution set up. Remember you want a level trailer with so much weight on the tongue (10 to 15%). Some of it will depend upon how much drop you get on your rear suspension. A 3/4 ton will have less drop and thus the need for a different WDH adjustment.

Thanks for the input - I attatched the picutres of what I have (It came from the previous owner so I'm not sure the specifics) to see what yall think in terms of just dropping the hitch height versus needing a new hitch. (very new to understand this aspect)

My 2500 Silverado is also 4x4 as JJTX mentioned so it will impact needs as well. JJTX I'm not sure about rancho or billstein rear shocks but I will check on that. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese Ball.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	443727

Name:	Reese logo.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	443728

Name:	Reese.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	841.5 KB
ID:	443729
Old 05-24-2024, 03:38 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
When moving from an F150 to an F250 we went ahead and upsized the "stinger" (as I call it) to the larger size. I also tried sleeve first but maybe I got a poorly designed one and I hated dealing with it immediately!

If I'm lowering the drop AND changing from 2" to 2.5", is that too many moving pieces that will decrease effectiveness of the hitch?