Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
All that said, great thread. WE HAVE a 2011 F150 Ecoboost Platinum with all the towing stuff you could order. It tows our 25 Flying Cloud just fine. However, we traded the 25' for a new 30' and in so doing are going to a F250 Lariet Diesel. Reasons, payload. Even with the 25' we were right on the line with payload on the Ecoboost. There was not a package to increase the payload and with the rated towing of 11,300 we were not concerned nor was the dealer. Then I did even more research called both factories, Ford and AS and of course received different opinions. So my wife and I made our own decision and ordered a F250 Lariet last night. The Ecoboost is only a year old, a neighbor is buying it for his boat and so it only cost us $3,000 for the year we have had it. The F250 has everything including the 10,000 payload etc. We test drove it four times, in the hills of Pittsburgh adn averaged about 12mpg, not bad. We know it will be more expensive to operate, maintain, but for us at least safety and being legal becam over riding factors. We have see several trailers pulled over this year by local cops doing a door sticker check and a trailer sticker check.

Good luck, I've always been a Ford person and the F250 was very smooth and quite.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
We know it will be more expensive to operate, maintain, but for us at least safety and being legal becam over riding factors. We have see several trailers pulled over this year by local cops doing a door sticker check and a trailer sticker check.
In 50 years of driving all over this country I've never seen this, so it's sounds like a story to me. Anyway, so what?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
In 50 years of driving all over this country I've never seen this, so it's sounds like a story to me. Anyway, so what?

doug k
What? The more expensive part, or the cop checking stickers part?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Decisions, decisions ain't it fun!

I don't know if you are a DIY'er (Do It Yourself) or a DIFM (Do It For Me) type when it comes to regular maintenance on your TV. But if you go back to each of the 3 diesels, open the hood and compare the engine bay access on each of these, I think I know which truck will win. Is it a turning point in the decision process? DIY or DIFM. But several years ago (I think with the 6.4L) it pretty much became SOP for the entire Ford cab to come off to do most of the more major repairs on the engine.

The Cummins' Columbus MidRange Engine Plant builds the Dodge engine and from '92-'06 they produced 1.5 million engines and still going. Source Turbo Diesel Register issue 77, page 61 Aug. 2012.

You have a fun decision ahead of you. Good luck.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
I doubt that any of the dealers would let me bring an Airstream and hook up, that said, I had a good talk with the sales manager at the GMC dealer and I might be able to talk him into it. The Ford dealer also might go for it if I asked really really nicely like by agreeing to buy the truck and completing all the paperwork but not including the final signature. The Dodge dealer, forget about it, the guy didn't know his product at all.

Thank you for the suggestion to contact moosetags, I've followed his postings for quite sometime and this will give me a chance to introduce myself and get some answers.

Cheers,
Rion
You rang?? I do have some impressions from our new 2011 Chevy Duramax one ton to share with the group.

We have now had the new truck for exactly one year. It is just about to turn 30,000 miles. We have been all over the country in it.

Let me start by doing a little recap of my truck shopping experience. We spent about six months shopping for the new truck. We extensively researched and shopped all of the one ton diesel offerings (Dodge, Ford, and GM). As we were also planning the purchase of a pop-up truck camper, a one ton diesel tow vehicle was all that we considered. Our plan was to carry the truck camper (3,000#) while towing the Airstream (7,400#). We also wanted a crew cab, long bed with single rear wheels.

We liked all three trucks. We eliminated the Dodge first because the back seat area of the crew cab was a bit tighter that the Ford or GM. Since we needed at long bed, the Mega Cab was not an option. Additionally, the Dodge's payload in the single rear wheel configuration was not quite where it needed to be for our use.

This left us going back and forth between the Ford and the GM offerings. We really only looked at Chevrolet as we travel extensively, and Chevrolet Dealers are easier to find then GMC Dealers. Our research had disclosed that warranty work on a GMC could only be performed (without cost) at a GMC Dealer.

We liked both trucks equally, and preferred some of the Ford features over the Chevrolet. It was getting down to price being the deciding factor.

Our wants and needs were pretty specific, so a custom order was the way we had to go. Long bed crew cabs with single rear wheels are no a real hot item on the dealer's lot, especially with the snow plow prep package, and no carpet in fire engine red.

We started getting prices for what we wanted. We found the Ford dealers that we contacted were less than enthusiastic about custom ordering a truck. One told us that he would find the truck that we wanted. He came back to us with an F-250 in white with two wheel drive. He seemed to feel that was close enough. Another Ford dealer wouldn't even discuss customs ordering a vehicle. A third one gave me a price right at sticker.

I also contacted three different Chevrolet dealers. All three came back with a price based upon my specs. There was nearly a $4,000 difference between the three, high to low.

Being that the Chevrolet was coming in at about $5,000 less than the Ford, we decided to go Chevrolet. We ordered the new truck on June 28, 2011, and took delivery on August 5, 2011.

We immediately started towing Lucy with the new truck. The performance was quite impressive over the 3/4 ton Suburbans that had always been Lucy's tow vehicles. Accelerating while towing up a 7% grade was no problem. We picked up the Outfitter truck camper out in Colorado in late September. The addition of the 3,000# truck camper did not seem to impact the truck's performance.

We have now put 30,000 miles on the new truck. Virtually all of these miles have been with the truck camper on board, and about half with Lucy in tow. Fuel mileage has been a little disappointing. With just the truck camper on board, I am getting around 14 MPG, and with Lucy in tow, I am getting Around 11 MPG.

The truck itself has not had any problems. The only item that has been repaired under warranty was a faulty cigarette lighter receptacle. The truck has now been serviced three times, and I replaced the fuel filter on the most recent service.

The servicing of a diesel engine in more expensive than gas engine service. I decided that I just have to deal with it as I don't think that a gasoline engine could do well in my situation.

Is the Chevrolet better than the Ford? I don't really know. I just know that, thus far, the Chevy has worked out well for me.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	165434  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Hi Doug,

Out of curiosity, what TV and hitch do you use on your 25' FC? I have been worried about the implications of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton shaking my AS apart, but others seem to do it without problems, yet I keep hearing warnings about 3/4 ton & 1 ton TVs.

Cheers,
Rion
I would look into the Andersen hitch. It has some cushion built into it with the large rubber washers. ( i wish I knew what they were called.). I noticed it going over bumps. My old WD would increase the jolt as the AS went over the dip or bump where the Andersen hitch takes it out.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Rion thanks for the write up on the TVs. I have a 2007 Yukon with 122K on it and just took it over the mountains of Western MD. Although it did well it did feel under power going up some of the steep inclines other then that it handle well. But now after your report I will begin looking at new TVs as we plan a trip out west and then to Alaska. It will probably be a truck and not and SUV.

Thanks

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have a question regarding four wheel vs two wheel drive. Since two wheel drive is less expensive and supposedly delivers better milage is it really necessary to purchase any of these three trucks with four wheel drive.

Thanks
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I have a question regarding four wheel vs two wheel drive. Since two wheel drive is less expensive and supposedly delivers better milage is it really necessary to purchase any of these three trucks with four wheel drive.

Thanks
Probably not "necessary", but would depend on your definition. Handy? Definately. Even useful? Definately. Necessary? For probably 99% of the time, no. However, at least in this "neck of the woods", you can't hardly give a used 2wd Diesel truck away, so I think you would get your money back when you eventually do trade.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If you get a 2wd I would get a locking rear differential.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post

Thanks
The answer to your question is totally dependent upon how you plan to use the truck. If you stay on the paved roads and avoid severe weather conditions, the answer is no, you don't need four wheel drive.

We use our truck to go deep into the back country with our truck camper. For us the answer is yes, we need four wheel drive.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Hi Doug,

Out of curiosity, what TV and hitch do you use on your 25' FC? I have been worried about the implications of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton shaking my AS apart, but others seem to do it without problems, yet I keep hearing warnings about 3/4 ton & 1 ton TVs.

Cheers,
Rion

We have towed Lucy (our 2005 Safari 25FB) almost 100,000 miles with 2 different 3/4 ton Suburbans, and now a one ton Silverado. Lucy has not lost a single rivet, and does not seem any the worse for wear.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
I amazed that such a trivial thing would be worth suggesting someone is lying. If it is a "so what", why bother to comment and insult someone.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Paiceman...you are going to LOVE your new F-250 Lariat. We got ours with the ultrimate Lariat package and like everything about it. We also went with the 4x4 only because we plan to retire in upper Arkansas and thought the 4x4 may be helpful in the Ozarks during the winters. I waited several years for Ford to sort out their diesel engine issues before I purchased. 2012 is the second year of the new 6.7 and so far all of the reviews I have read have been good. I have fiends who speak highly of the Duramax but being a loyal Ford man I just couldn't bring myself to put one in the driveway :-) Dodge was never a thought. They do by far have the best diesel with the Cummings but that is about it. You will have no problem with your 30ft. trailer and the F-250. Only issues as I stated in an earlier post will be the fuel capacity if you choose the short bed. But that can easily be resolved. Enjoy your new truck...steve
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Probably not "necessary", but would depend on your definition. Handy? Definately. Even useful? Definately. Necessary? For probably 99% of the time, no. However, at least in this "neck of the woods", you can't hardly give a used 2wd Diesel truck away, so I think you would get your money back when you eventually do trade.
All the more reason to buy a good used 2WD. Mine was purchased used at a fantastic price. The lower costs will about pay for a new truck versus my having bought a 4WD of the same type over 200k miles. Even in oilfield hotshot 4WD just means higher costs of ownership & operation as it is hardly used (this, with frequent GCW of over 20k lbs) and rejected by many if not most owner/operators.

The roads down which you take your trailer ought to be your guide. A truck is hardly the best choice as a TV in the first place . . how you use the TV the other miles should weigh more heavily. The occasional foray down a dirt road is not a determinant. Nor is the frequency of snow or ice (you'd tow in that?).

Those who buy 4WD ought to have specific reason for doing so (the experience of moosetag with several TV's and years of use being to the point).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #36

Redmond , Washington
My 2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed with exhaust brake, is so much better of a truck than my old Ford 3/4 ton. That truck was constantly in the shop for repairs and it drove horrible with my camper on. I think it was 1987, can't remember. But my old 69 Ford was an awesome truck. New ones I cant comment on, but I love the Dodge. Yes, I went through the front wheel bearings and replaced them at 70K miles and I did all the U-joints in the driveline and also the carrier bearing. A couple of them were pretty shot. I put in manual locking free spin hubs too and that is an awesome upgrade. You can back up in low gear without engaging 4WD. Probably a bit better fuel economy too. And now you can grease your wheel bearings. It's a very comfortable truck to drive.
endoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoscott
My 2003 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab, 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed with exhaust brake, is so much better of a truck than my old Ford 3/4 ton. That truck was constantly in the shop for repairs and it drove horrible with my camper on. I think it was 1987, can't remember. But my old 69 Ford was an awesome truck. New ones I cant comment on, but I love the Dodge. Yes, I went through the front wheel bearings and replaced them at 70K miles and I did all the U-joints in the driveline and also the carrier bearing. A couple of them were pretty shot. I put in manual locking free spin hubs too and that is an awesome upgrade. You can back up in low gear without engaging 4WD. Probably a bit better fuel economy too. And now you can grease your wheel bearings. It's a very comfortable truck to drive.
Comparing two vehicles 16 years apart in age is an apples to oranges comparison to say the least. Even among the same brand. You didn't specify gas or diesel in the '89 but diesels of that era were naturally aspirated as opposed to the turbo charged diesels if the modern era. You could compare your '03 Cummins to a '12 Cummins and would surely be pleasantly surprised as well.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
My $.02

4wd is more of a luxury. It was 60 years ago when it was invented, and I believe it is now. Buy a 2wd and get stuck more or spend the extra $2-3000 (new) and get stuck less. Simple and straight forward! Less maintenance and mpg without it and less vulnurable with it.

As for Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy.... Theres things you will like and hate about each. Get a 6L Ford, engine problems. Get a Dodge, tranny. Chevy seems to have the best track record except most around here are about rusted in two. Fords got the best interior, especially with the King Ranch package. Cummins has got the best engine (not Dodge!), and Chevy is somewhere in the middle IMO.

If I had more money than such dang good looks Id buy a 2010-13 F-150, 4wd, King Ranch, EcoBoost. Period. But a $40,000 truck is a hair outta my price range lol. Comfort, towing ability, and 22 mpg unloaded
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Gmc

GM changed the transmission software in 2012 so the Allison upshifts quicker from a stop and feels more responsive than the 2011. Also, Truck Trend published a towing test called 'Power Pullers', testing diesel 3/4 ton trucks. The result was the 2011 Chevy out pulled the 2011 Ford up to the Eisenhower Tunnel dramatically. It wasn't even close. So, regardless of the rated power, the Duramax seems to have far more power when the turbocharger is really active at high elevations. The GM 4x4's have independent front suspension and the steering is more precise than the Ford or Dodge. Truck Trend and Trailer Life picked the GM truck first of the 3 in testing. Something to think about.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:42 AM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Except that the downhill portion is the only one that counts.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote