RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Kansas City, , Missouri
Dodge Durango with Airstream Bambi 19CB

I am considering purchasing a new Dodge Durango mid-size SUV 3.6L V6 with a book GVWR tow capacity of 6200 pounds (the highest capacity of any 6 cyl mid-size) for our likely purchase of a Bambi 19 or Bambi 20 trailer, each with a GVWR of 5000 pounds.

My research on a Durango gives it high towing marks with larger V8 engines with higher tow capacities, but I have been unable to find a review or comment on how safe and reliable the V6 with a factory tow package would be if mated with the Bambi 19. Some reviews of Durangos with V8s note that acceleration on the same trailer with a V6 would be slower and that speeds up grades would be more taxing, but that seems perfectly understandable and is not necessarily a significant issue for safety and reliability.

My likely Airstream dealer says the V6 Durango should be more than sufficient for Bambi19, but has no firsthand knowledge.

I'm wondering if anyone in the AS community has direct experience with the V6 Durango towing a similar AS trailer and can provide me some helpful advice on the relevant pros and cons.

Appreciate any help you can provide.
JJKC is offline   Reply With Quote