Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dodge Dakota - TV?

I have a Dodge Dakota, club cab, with a 5.2L engine, automatic transmission. Am looking at possibly buying a 23' AS (dry weight 4000 lb/hitch weight 670 lb). I know that I have enough power to tow, but do I have enough "footprint" to handle a 23" AS? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
jmichaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I pull my 21 globetrotter with my 99 Dakota extended cab 5.2 litre automatic, 4X4 and have had no problems. I could use some more power on the Colorado passes as I get down to second on the long uphill pulls, and I don,t use overdrive in the mountains.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Him JM, I had a 2005 Dakota quad with the 4.7L V8 with a 3.73 rear end, and was towing a 25 ft AS. I have to admit that I did have some problems towing the 25 ft up hills to the point that the engine cut out on me in Yosemite. It was always running hot and couldn't use the AC. BUT, I know the Dakota you have, as my son had one similar to yours. First off, YES, you will be able to tow the 23 with no problemo. The 5.2L is a nice strong engine.
My 25 is 5380 lbs empty. max tow on the truck was 7000. by the time I had the trailer loaded and the back bed of the P.U, I was at 6000 lbs. plus.

The other good news is that the Dakotas are heavier then the standard mid-size truck which is why they are the "morphed" mid size truck. You'll probably have some of the guys give you the mathematical formula for towing etc, etc, ect........

But it all comes down to dollars and cents. and Safety.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
For many years my buddy has been towing a 21' SOB with his 8 year old Dakota. It has the small V8 and 2:90 something gears. Goes from Canada to Florida and back every year. No problems. He is and engineer and is very fussy about the overall setup.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hi there!

There have been several people with this question (I have had interest because I am a Dakota owner, too). Here are the ones I could find for you:

Dodge Dakota towing 27'

94 Dakota as a tow vehicle

Towing a 69 Tradewind - Dakota?

Help! Dakota vs. Overlander

Dodge Dakota + Safari 23'

What year is your Dakota? We have a 2002 Dakota quad cab with the small V8 and a fiberglass topper and have been very happy with towing most things, usually a Triumph car of some sort on a flatbed trailer with the bed full of tools and equipment. The heaviest load we ever towed was our old 1981 Chevy 454 dually longbed on an 18' metal dovetail trailer (Brad broke down in the Chevy, so I went and got him). It did okay going slowly, but stopping was not fun.

I think you would be fine with your 23', but be sure to check your brakes well before towing. Our Dakota has the upgraded tire and wheel package and from what I understand, Dodge did not change the brakes for larger wheels. Front rotor warping is a big problem on our-era Dakotas.

I hope all of this helps!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
I had a 2000 4.7L extended cab Dakota 4x4 sport. Pulling my enclosed v-nose snowmobile trailer approx. 1,500 lbs with two sleds 500 lbs each and all of our riding gear, this truck had a hard time maintaining 60 mph unless OD was turned off. I also felt like the wheel base/width was on the small side. Not sure if I'd use it to tow our 1964 24' A/S. The new Ram does so much better.

Later _ Derek
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrtheil View Post
I had a 2000 4.7L extended cab Dakota 4x4 sport. Pulling my enclosed v-nose snowmobile trailer approx. 1,500 lbs with two sleds 500 lbs each and all of our riding gear, this truck had a hard time maintaining 60 mph unless OD was turned off. I also felt like the wheel base/width was on the small side. Not sure if I'd use it to tow our 1964 24' A/S. The new Ram does so much better.

Later _ Derek
Yikes! You should always turn off the OD when towing! It is specifically stated in our owner's manual. The trans light did come on one time when I forgot (very early on) -- showing the fluid was getting hot.

I also think the new gen Dakotas are bigger and heavier than the older ones. I can't vouch for that, though.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We used a mid 90's Dakota 5.2, 4.10 gears, long bed, extended cab to tow our Argosy 20. It had no trouble with the trailer. I know of a forums member that used the identical vehicle to haul an Excella around the southeast. He was in white-knuckle territory doing it, though.