Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Do you like your Titan XD?

We are looking to get a pickup with more weight carrying capacity on the rear axle than our Tundra, and would like to hear from folks who have a Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0 as their tow vehicle.

We tow a 2016 FC 28, weighing in at right around 7000 lbs.

How does it handle? Is it underpowered? I’ve read that the dual turbocharger in combination with the transmission acts similar to an exhaust brake. Is this true?
Have you been riddled with problems, or is it a relatively trouble free pickup?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.
WHERRWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If you do a google search you will find that not much good can be said about the Titan XD diesel. Not only that I’m not sure you would gain in payload since the diesel is pretty heavy. Plus they are pretty expensive. And if you look at the gauntlet tests on YouTube their performance isn’t all that spectacular. You’d be better off just getting a 3/4 ton gas or diesel. But there are some on this forum that have them. I was considering it, but due to the reviews it just didn’t seem like a good value.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I looked at a few on the dealer lot.
The LOW payload capacity turned me off, to that specific truck.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
I tow with a Titan XD with the gas engine. Yes, the gas mileage sucks but the towing experience is fantastic. I tow a 25 FB that normally runs at 6700 lbs. For example, I was towing WB on I-80 out of Truckee, CA and moved into the middle lane to pass a car. Prior to summiting Donner Pass I looked down and was doing 83 mph. Power is not an issue and towing/payload is not an issue. You will find lots of opinions on this forum from people who have a very simple attitude: their package is the only one that makes sense and everyone else is an idiot.
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The 5.0 diesel should have more than enough power. I tow my 28 with a 3.0 diesel and that is more than enough.

I test drove a Titan and what turned me off was the wide turning circle, which I think is the most important consideration if you need it to double as a daily driver.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
My son-in-law and I have owned three of them. Two 2016's and one 2017. We drove these trucks for about 130,000 miles combined. The are an excellent towing platform for a bumper hitch trailer. We never had a bobble while towing with any of the trucks pulling my 7.000# FC25FB and a 24' 15,000# enclosed trailer. Almost all of these miles were towing. I towed extensively in the mountains, Colorado, Wyoming, Mt. Whitney in CA, Montana . . . I never lacked for power and could accelerate on any incline. Downhill, the truck definitely has an excellent exhaust brake, or turbo brake, or however they accomplish the engine braking. I know this is blasphemy, but it towed much better than our new 2019 Ford F250's. Fuel mileage was equivalent to slightly less than our new F250's. I would get 11.9 mpg on the interstate highway at the speed limit. If I drove the backroads at 55 mph, I could get 14 mpg. We both loved towing with these trucks. But, as you can see, we now have 2019 F250's.

Here was the problem: The trucks are very poorly supported by the dealers. Most dealers do not sell them, or have parts for them, or have a mechanic (or more than one) trained on them. I had to carry my own fuel and oil filters because they were not readily available most places. We were scared that we were going to get stranded far away from our homes. My 2016 broke down in Wyoming, the parts were not available to repair it, I traded it in and drove back home with the 2017 Titan XD Diesel. My son-in-law had bigger problems. His truck had electrical issues. The engine wiring harness needed to be replaced and Nissan tried to say it wasn't covered even though its a known problem. Also on my 2016 that I traded in, my fuel tank had the well known venting problem and the fuel gauge didn't work - there were recalls for these issues for trucks built in the period my truck was built. Nissan refused to cover this repair under the recall.

Our family loves Nissans. We have had multiple vehicles of almost every model, Altimas, Maximas, Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Sentras most of the time with two or more of each at one time. But after our experience with our Titan XD Diesels, we now own Ford F250's. The straw that broke the camel's back was the lack of dealer support and attempts (or refusing) to not cover known issues. Our 2016 trucks were purchased with promised bumper-to-bumper extended warranties that cost over $3,500 each directly from Nissan. But when we went in with problems, we were told by Nissan that the dealer only sold us powertrain warranties - why would we pay $3500 for a powertrain warranty which is included for free from new? The dealer ripped us off and Nissan wouldn't do anything about it.

After reading this, you will understand why we are now driving 2019 Ford F250s. We already have 30,000 miles of mostly towing on these trucks bought in January 2019. We are no longer scared of getting stranded while driving across the country. A Ford F250 can be repaired anywhere, by multiple knowlegeable mechanics, with available parts and filters.

Oh another issue I had, there are many more that I haven't mentioned. After I bought the new 2017, on my way home I got the dreaded "Key System Error". When this happens, the truck will not start. I called the dealer and they had never heard of it and had absolutely no idea what was wrong. They told me the battery was dead. I said I just drove for 20 miles, turned off the truck for five minutes, and now it won't start - so its not the battery. Since they were no help I called a tow truck. If there was a Ford dealer within walking distance I would have traded that truck at under 1,000 miles! (I actually traded it later with 9,000 miles). Luckily my wife posted our problem on Facebook and my Son-in-law called and told me how to fix this because it happened all the time with his Titan XD. Just shift into drive and back to park and then start the truck. That works every time (and this happened to my 2017 truck consistently).

If Ford, GM, or Dodge made the Titan XD, I'd still own them. But with our issues plus the lack of dealer support, we lost faith in them. Too bad because we really did like towing with these trucks.

Also, the fuel filler is too small for the truck pumps, the payload is extremely low for such a heavy duty truck, B10 is the highest Bio-fuel allowed (it ran terrible on B20). I'm going to stop now . . . I think you've heard enough.

Sorry
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
My son-in-law and I have owned three of them. Two 2016's and one 2017. We drove these trucks for about 130,000 miles combined. The are an excellent towing platform for a bumper hitch trailer. We never had a bobble while towing with any of the trucks pulling my 7.000# FC25FB and a 24' 15,000# enclosed trailer. Almost all of these miles were towing. I towed extensively in the mountains, Colorado, Wyoming, Mt. Whitney in CA, Montana . . . I never lacked for power and could accelerate on any incline. Downhill, the truck definitely has an excellent exhaust brake, or turbo brake, or however they accomplish the engine braking. I know this is blasphemy, but it towed much better than our new 2019 Ford F250's. Fuel mileage was equivalent to slightly less than our new F250's. I would get 11.9 mpg on the interstate highway at the speed limit. If I drove the backroads at 55 mph, I could get 14 mpg. We both loved towing with these trucks. But, as you can see, we now have 2019 F250's.

Here was the problem: The trucks are very poorly supported by the dealers. Most dealers do not sell them, or have parts for them, or have a mechanic (or more than one) trained on them. I had to carry my own fuel and oil filters because they were not readily available most places. We were scared that we were going to get stranded far away from our homes. My 2016 broke down in Wyoming, the parts were not available to repair it, I traded it in and drove back home with the 2017 Titan XD Diesel. My son-in-law had bigger problems. His truck had electrical issues. The engine wiring harness needed to be replaced and Nissan tried to say it wasn't covered even though its a known problem. Also on my 2016 that I traded in, my fuel tank had the well known venting problem and the fuel gauge didn't work - there were recalls for these issues for trucks built in the period my truck was built. Nissan refused to cover this repair under the recall.

Our family loves Nissans. We have had multiple vehicles of almost every model, Altimas, Maximas, Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Sentras most of the time with two or more of each at one time. But after our experience with our Titan XD Diesels, we now own Ford F250's. The straw that broke the camel's back was the lack of dealer support and attempts (or refusing) to not cover known issues. Our 2016 trucks were purchased with promised bumper-to-bumper extended warranties that cost over $3,500 each directly from Nissan. But when we went in with problems, we were told by Nissan that the dealer only sold us powertrain warranties - why would we pay $3500 for a powertrain warranty which is included for free from new? The dealer ripped us off and Nissan wouldn't do anything about it.

After reading this, you will understand why we are now driving 2019 Ford F250s. We already have 30,000 miles of mostly towing on these trucks bought in January 2019. We are no longer scared of getting stranded while driving across the country. A Ford F250 can be repaired anywhere, by multiple knowlegeable mechanics, with available parts and filters.

Oh another issue I had, there are many more that I haven't mentioned. After I bought the new 2017, on my way home I got the dreaded "Key System Error". When this happens, the truck will not start. I called the dealer and they had never heard of it and had absolutely no idea what was wrong. They told me the battery was dead. I said I just drove for 20 miles, turned off the truck for five minutes, and now it won't start - so its not the battery. Since they were no help I called a tow truck. If there was a Ford dealer within walking distance I would have traded that truck at under 1,000 miles! (I actually traded it later with 9,000 miles). Luckily my wife posted our problem on Facebook and my Son-in-law called and told me how to fix this because it happened all the time with his Titan XD. Just shift into drive and back to park and then start the truck. That works every time (and this happened to my 2017 truck consistently).

If Ford, GM, or Dodge made the Titan XD, I'd still own them. But with our issues plus the lack of dealer support, we lost faith in them. Too bad because we really did like towing with these trucks.

Also, the fuel filler is too small for the truck pumps, the payload is extremely low for such a heavy duty truck, B10 is the highest Bio-fuel allowed (it ran terrible on B20). I'm going to stop now . . . I think you've heard enough.

Sorry
I too drove this diesel model when they came out and was impressed. At the time, the fuel tank was small and so was the DEF tank, and I believe there was no gauge for the DEF? Not sure if that changed...I liked the "in between" size of a 1/2T and 3/4T...niche but filled the bill I was thinking at the time..I ended up staying with my F150 and moving to the F250 in 2017.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I too drove this diesel model when they came out and was impressed. At the time, the fuel tank was small and so was the DEF tank, and I believe there was no gauge for the DEF? Not sure if that changed...I liked the "in between" size of a 1/2T and 3/4T...niche but filled the bill I was thinking at the time..I ended up staying with my F150 and moving to the F250 in 2017.
Titan XD has a DEF gauge, but it is not accurate like the one on the F250. The Titan XD gauge reads full until its 1/2 full. The tank is 5 gallons on the Titan XD. So I would drive until it came off full, then add a 2.5 gallon jug. I believe the Titan XD uses more DEF than the F250 - not a big deal because DEF is cheap. But it felt like I added DEF frequently on the Titan XD. With the F250, I went my first 5,000 miles to 1/2 tank of DEF and then needed 5 gallons of DEF - exactly 1/2 tank just like the gauge indicated. The F250 will easily go to a 7,500 mile oil change interval without adding DEF. Change oil, add DEF - easy peasy.

Another issue just popped into my head. Regen's were a pain on the Titan XD. It seemed it would regen two miles after filling the fuel tank. That's how far it was from my house to the gas station. So I'd fill it up, start driving home, and the Regen would start. The owner's manual said to continue driving when regen starts. I'd have to drive about 15 miles to get the regen to stop. It smelled like an old diesel when regenning. My Son-in-law would not do this and plugged up his regen tank and the dealer again wanted to charge to clean it out.

With the F250, regen's are seamless. I can't even tell they are happening. There's no smell and the fuel mileage doesn't drop to 4 MPG like it did on the Titan XD. Again, much more refined.

The F250 has all these bugs worked out from their years of experience, the Titan XD feels like a BETA test platform in comparison.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
Titan XD has a DEF gauge, but it is not accurate like the one on the F250. The Titan XD gauge reads full until its 1/2 full. The tank is 5 gallons on the Titan XD. So I would drive until it came off full, then add a 2.5 gallon jug. I believe the Titan XD uses more DEF than the F250 - not a big deal because DEF is cheap. But it felt like I added DEF frequently on the Titan XD. With the F250, I went my first 5,000 miles to 1/2 tank of DEF and then needed 5 gallons of DEF - exactly 1/2 tank just like the gauge indicated. The F250 will easily go to a 7,500 mile oil change interval without adding DEF. Change oil, add DEF - easy peasy.

Another issue just popped into my head. Regen's were a pain on the Titan XD. It seemed it would regen two miles after filling the fuel tank. That's how far it was from my house to the gas station. So I'd fill it up, start driving home, and the Regen would start. The owner's manual said to continue driving when regen starts. I'd have to drive about 15 miles to get the regen to stop. It smelled like an old diesel when regenning. My Son-in-law would not do this and plugged up his regen tank and the dealer again wanted to charge to clean it out.

With the F250, regen's are seamless. I can't even tell they are happening. There's no smell and the fuel mileage doesn't drop to 4 MPG like it did on the Titan XD. Again, much more refined.

The F250 has all these bugs worked out from their years of experience, the Titan XD feels like a BETA test platform in comparison.
Never had an issue with regen on my F250...56K miles now and will be 2 years old in June. From what I read, it is not a common issue if your towing...cleans/burns off automatically, from what I understand. I still don't like the cost of oil changes and fuel cost with the F250; BUT, I love how it pulls my AS and carries my payload!

I did have the electronic tailgate issue, but Ford finally picked up the entire tab, so I'm pretty happy.....so far.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Do you like your Titan XD?

I had high hopes for the Titan XD but I’ve read too many posts like those above.

I have nothing against the Big 3, you pay your money and take your chances... I think I keep driving my Ram.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
So, my 2016 Titan XD diesel just went over 40,000 mile. About half of it hauling my 31' Sovereign pretty much all over the lower 48. It has never been back to Nissan. I do most of my own routine maintenance (had my mechanic do the transmission flush...). So, in comparison to others, my truck has been flawless.

Having said that. If I had to replace it, I would buy the gas version -- simpler maintenance, fuel available anywhere, more payload. No DEF.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Do You Like Your Nissan Titan XD?

I wish that I could be more positive about my experiences with the 2017 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve 5.0 Cummins Turbo Diesel. This truck presents itself very well, rides well, is a pleasure to drive when it is operating as designed, and tows well when it operates as designed -- but this particular truck rarely operates as designed. It may have been trying to give us clues from the time that it was delivered.

It is evident that Nissan dealers in our area don't have a great deal of experience with diesels, and our closest local dealer had to arrange a dealer trade with another dealer nearly 400 miles away to get this truck. When it was delivered to us there were candy wrappers, empty chip bags, etc. on the floors, there was a rip/tear in the leather on the passenger seat, there were deep abrasions on the tailgate protector, the bedliner was badly discolored, and there were several flaws noted in the paint. The dealer made assurances that all would be taken care of under warranty.

Thus far, all of the above have been resolved except the paint issues which have been ongoing since August of 2017.

Many other issues have crept up since then. The first and most perplexing was driveability and fuel economy. Initially 4 to 10 MPG seemed to be the best that we were seeing. Several trips to the dealer later, we learned that this was being caused by not allowing the truck to finish regenerating before shutting it down (via the Internet) -- but we have yet to have anyone at the dealership be able to tell us how to tell when the truck is regenerating (and I haven't found this mentioned on the Internet either). Before we learned about regenerations, the dealer reflashed the computer at least three or four times. The driveability issue came to a head when we were headed home and about 2 miles from our destination the truck went into "limp home" mode and would not exceed 20 MPH -- we learned from the Internet that this was likely caused by frequently not allowing the truck to finish its regeneration cycle -- another trip to the dealer and a day in the shop resolved the problem, but we are still not entirely sure how to avoid it in the future. From extensive reading on the Internet, we have surmised that frequent short trip, in-town driving results in frequent regenerations so we have discontinued using the truck for short, in-town trips and use only for longer out-of town trips in hopes of reducing this particular issue.

The second issue has been a true safety issue, and has happened repeatedly without forewarning. The truck's brakes will suddenly be inoperative when attempting to stop. They may be totally or partially inoperative, but just the same, the only way to stop is to jam on the emergency brake. This has happened three times with total failure and another four or five with partial failure, and each time the master cylinder has been empty or nearly empty with no obvious leaks in the hydraulic system. It has been back to one of three dealers within 60 miles each time that this has happened, and at this time nearly everything in the system has been replaced or thoroughly inspected. It has been a fair period of time since the last incident, so there is a glimmer of hope that they may have found this problem.

The third issue has been exterior door locks. Both driver's side door handles have malfunctioned and become inoperative and had to be replaced under warranty. Evidently, there is either a recall or technical service bulletin out for this problem, and there was no problem with getting this work done, just the inconvenience of taking the truck in twice -- once to verify that it did indeed have the problem and then the wait for Nissan to ship the parts to the dealer.

The fourth issue has been the built-in trailer brake controller. It worked flawlessly the first two times that we used it, but since then it has been like we are connected to some kind of video game. It is impossible to set the gain control and have it remain where set. We have verified that the contacts on both the truck's connector socket and the trailers plug are clean and that the two are firmly seated, but we still get the same result. The display just flashes random numbers as soon as you place your foot on the brake pedal. The trailer will have either no brakes or the brakes may lock up -- sometimes somewhere inbetween. Our worst case scenario was when it somehow locked up the brakes on our car hauler while towing on a busy highway (no brakes applied in truck) and before we could get to a safe stopping place, a tire on the trailer overheated and blew out (there were no shoulders on the highway). When we explained our difficulties to the dealer, one of his first excuses was that the system was not designed to tow Airstreams due to their vacuum over hydraulic brakes -- I had to explain to him that 1964 pre-dated this feature by nearly a decade and that the trailer has Kelsey Hayes electric drum brakes and the 1978 Argosy has Dexter electric drum brakes -- when towing either Airstream product, we have had intermittent brakes and usually none.

The truck only has about 8,000 miles at this point and it seems that two-thirds of this has been going back and forth to dealers trying to get various problems resolved. It was at the dealer Thursday to be examined by a Nissan engineer in an effort to resolve the issue with the trailer brake controller, and intermittent seat heaters, as well as investigate its list of other problems. We are still awaiting a report from this visit. We have yet to actually hitch up one of the Airstreams and actually go anywhere -- it has just been for comparatively short local test drives to see how the truck reacts to the trailer -- and so far the actuation of the trailer brakes has not been confidence inspiring.

It is going to take quite a bit for this truck to live up to my opinion of the 1999 K2500 Suburban. The Suburban towed like a champ, returned respectable fuel economy for a 7400 VORTEC and was among the most comfortable driving tow vehicles that I have ever experienced. It held up well over 200,000 miles with the only problem being a recurring issue with the electronic module that controlled its transfer case -- but that did not leave me stranded when it failed and I could get it replaced when convenient. Even at 200,000 miles, it wasn't using any oil, the transmission was OEM and had only received its 30,000 mile services, -- and I was confident in it such that I would have gotten in it and taken off for either coast without hesitation. I had it Ziebarted when new and kept up the annual retreatments so the body was still in excellent shape as well.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
HI Kevin,

The only way to tell if you are in regen is the instantaneous mileage readout. If you are in regen, the mileage will be terrible (4-6 mpg) while you are moving and may only go up to 8 or so when you are coasting to a stop. On my truck, this may go on for 15 miles or so, depending on speed, then the mileage pops back up to normal.

Basically, the truck is spraying extra fuel into the exhaust stream to burn out all the particulates that have accumulated in the Diesel Particulate Filter. If it doesn't do this regularly, the soot builds up and... Regens occur more often when you are using the truck for lots of low-speed, local trips. Blasting down the Interstate, or will happen much less frequently.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
CAVU

2019 25' International
Gulf Breeze , Florida
We tow our 25 with the XD Diesel and have been completely happy with it. No issues.
SavyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I liked my '16 XD/cummins so much that after 50k miles I traded up to an '18 XD/cummins Platinum Reserve trim level, 5yr/100K miles bumper to bumper warranty. In my opinion it's the perfect truck for towing any AS, powerful, heavy and extremely comfortable.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
George Town , Grand Cayman
We've passed 85,000 miles on our 2016 XD Pro-4X Cummins and are still very happy with our choice.
seanslatt is offline   Reply With Quote