Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Controversial, no. More like a lot of misinformed folks posting as experts.

120% times 7300 lbs is a bit less than 9000 lbs. A tow capacity of 11000 lbs is the overkill engineering team talking. There is a Ford F150 with a tow package that is rated about that level. Maybe that's what the dealer was thinking.

The 120% is what people think is needed. It's not. You need the 7300 lbs that the loaded trailer will weigh. A little excess capacity is not a bad thing. A lot is not needed.

However, lower capacity vehicles often have low payload capacity. Lots of options will lower the payload. You need enough payload to carry the tongue weight, all the passengers beyond the driver, and all the gear you will carry in the tow vehicle including the hitch and any after purchase additions like a bed liner, cover, bumper or tools/spares. Fire wood is very heavy.

Tongue weight of a 25 is close to 1200 lbs. The weight distribution hitch will move about 10-15% of the tongue weight to the rear axle of the trailer, so you will save some there.

There are standard 1/2 ton pickups, heavy duty 1/2 ton trucks, and tow package 1/2 ton vehicles. The capacity ratings will vary on each and the payload changes with the option mix. Yellow sticker on the door gives you the rating fo that specific truck.

Folks like to buy 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. They are big rough and tough. You may find one to be your final choice. The primary reason is when more payload is required. The problem with these trucks is that you feel less of what is happening with your tow. The added weight dampens out the rig movement. That same weight is harder to stop and takes more fuel to run.

Since your son will drive, you might conside what is reasonable to handle as a day to day vehicle.

So, first - do the research. There are a lot of threads on vehicle choice, best vehicle, how to make a smaller vehicle work, and similar subjects. Read about ten. Make a list of questions and ask them. You do not need to get a truck. SUVs will tow a trailer too. However, more trucks that fit your needs may be available.

Hitches are same thing. Do your research (10 threads) and plan to have to adjust whatever you get. It won't be right until the rig is loaded and tested.

Now - do not believe anything you read here or anywhere else until you prove it for yourself. Only you are responsible when towing, so understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. It gets easier from there.

Good luck to you and your investigation. Chase those smiles. Pat
..1200 lb tongue weight..3/4...no question....the ram has rear coil springs..the ride is very good...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
..1200 lb tongue weight..3/4...no question....the ram has rear coil springs..the ride is very good...

Agree. I test drove Fords and Rams and the RAM 2500 has a noticeably better ride. The coil springs are variable rate so they still carry a heavy load really well. RAM also claims the coils also make for better handling, especially when braking.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellBell View Post
We just bought the 25FB FC this weekend. The AS dealer told us we should look for a TV that could tow around 11,000 lbs!!! That seems like a LOT! Is the dealer correct in recommending that amount for a trailer that is 7300lbs? I know that we want something that pulls more than the max amount of the trailer, but 3700? We eventually will put in a tankless hot water heater and a couple of solar panels. But if we found a truck that pulled 9500 lbs, is that enough for the trailer and upgrades and 2-4 people in the truck? Sorry for these "newbie" questions, but new to it "all"--owning a truck (well, drove my parents truck when I was growing up in Texas but never towed the boat), owning a trailer, and towing (anything bigger than my folk's flatbed utility trailer)! TIA!!
9500lb is plenty, check axle rating to confirm you have enough to carry what is needed, ck tire load ratings and combined weight limits.
Buy what tickles your fancy and has the capability. It's Airstreaming not stress streaming.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
So, as you can see, there are lots of opinions on tow rigs. I have a 27 FC FB which, according to AS specs comes in fully loaded at 7500 lbs. I towed for the last three years with a '09 Silverado 1/2 ton, crew cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.3l small block. It was rated to tow around 9500 lbs and it was fine, except, when going up steep grades, say 8% or greater, I would be going around 30-35 mph. That gets old quick. And I'm pretty sure we were overloaded on payload, which I believe manifested itself with premature bearing problems in the front wheels, and some braking issues, (chattering shuddering needing the rotors turned more often) and one particularly memorable white knuckle downhill scare into Medford (S OR) that ended up with a unscheduled stop at Les Schwab to fix the brakes before going on to the Redwoods.

Anyway we are signed up for a Caravan next fall in Kentucky, which is a long way from OR. So last week we went shopping for a new truck. If I had won the lottery I would have brought home a new F1250 diesel. But th extra 9k entry price for the diesel and increased maintenance cost had me rethinking the deal. We ended up with the 150, echoboost. Rated to tow. 12,700 lbs, payload just N of 1600 lbs, it should do the trick. It's much more capable than the 09 Chevy, and a friend has one towing his 25 ft FC. So, I would say take a look at the F150 ecoboost, and see what you think. Good luck.

Mike
We have about the same set up (trailer and truck) and so far it has worked well. You do have to be a bit careful about payload if you are bringing more than two, though. With the two of us for less than a week I don't have to think about how to load things, but when taking the grandkids we had to take a bit of care.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
Well, DH has narrowed down his his choice of truck he wants to test drive on Sunday--we're going to look at the F-150 Platinum with max tow pkg. Will definitely put us up in the 11K tow range. I'm just happy it's going to have what I need in it without taking all over creation to put in after market gear (backup camera, trailer brakes, etc) since I'm primarily the one going to be towing!
NellBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Well, DH has narrowed down his his choice of truck he wants to test drive on Sunday--we're going to look at the F-150 Platinum with max tow pkg. Will definitely put us up in the 11K tow range. I'm just happy it's going to have what I need in it without taking all over creation to put in after market gear (backup camera, trailer brakes, etc) since I'm primarily the one going to be towing!
Look at the payload number on the sticker on the driver's door pillar. Platinums often end up a little short on payload because of all the nice toys.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
On the power front all the major half tons are more than adequate these days. While I don’t agree with all of their methodology, the ‘fast lane truck’ guys have many YouTube videos of their towing tests up the IKe in Colorado. As I recall the 2019 crop of ford, gm, and dodge half tons all managed to pull 7000-9000lbs trailer on the ball at the speed limit up the grade at high elevation.

In my own experience pulling multiple passes with 12500 GCVW of a 25FBT and a GMC 1500 with the 6.2 power is absolutely not an issue. I have no want nor desire to deal with a diesel again after using this modern V8. The biggest downfall in my experience with the half ton over the 3500 GMC I used previously are the soft springs with a full load. This is fixed with air bags giving me the load control when needed and better handling empty.

Manufacturers give ratings and discussions on the forum are entertaining about how much truck people want to have and the margin of capacity that is deemed needed over and beyond what the engineers and lawyers spec from the factory. The short of all of this in my opinion is that driving safely and within your limits of skill and for conditions will be far more important than any over sized tow vehicle.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:

Before pulling the trigger I encourage you to make a list of weights and do some math to make sure the specifications are correct. Getting it wrong can be big $$$$ mistake.

Is payload capacity enough?

I'll estimate>
5 people @150 average weigh = 750 (reality is probably more)
Loaded trailer tongue (a few hundred pounds more than empty)= 900
Hitch, bars, ball (compete hitch) = 100
Camping equipment (bicycles, hiking gear, chairs, water totes, cooler, fire wood, etc) = 150
Generator = 100
Topper or bed cover = 100
Tools & fuel container = 50

TOTAL = 2,150 LBS (approximately)

Will the 1500 crew cab have that much payload capacity? Look at the placard on the driver side door opening.

^ edited^
&
ps:
In an earlier post you said your newly licensed son would be the primary/everyday driver. That truck has a lot of power and not much load on the rear tires when empty, it will most likely spin the rear tires. And, the vehicle is top heavy (high center of gravity). It is not the safest vehicle for the average new driver.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Before pulling the trigger I encourage you to make a list of weights and do some math to make sure the specifications are correct. Getting it wrong can be big $$$$ mistake.

I'll estimate>
5 people @150 weigh = 750
Camping equipment (bicycles, hiking gear, chairs, water totes, cooler, fire wood, etc) = 150
Generator = 100

TOTAL = 2,050 LBS (approximately)

Will the 1500 crew cab have that much payload capacity? Look at the placard on the driver side door opening.
This is excellent advice.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
As mentioned above, Airstreams are not hard to tow for many vehicles. A half-ton can pull the whole line. Payload is the harder number to meet, especially with fancier trucks or more travelers, and the 25’ length in Airstreams is where tongue weight starts ramping up, cutting into payload significantly.

I wanted to get by with a 150. But with 4 travelers, 4 bikes, a modest campstuff and a 27’ Globetrotter, I was at or over the limit for most 150s (the 25’ Airstreams don’t weigh much less). If it were just me and my wife traveling I probably could have gotten away with a 150 but in the end I’m glad I went with a 250.

If you are set on a 150, look hard into the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP). It will boost your payload *significantly*. It will probably need to be ordered and in 2019 is only available in XLT trim or below. But you won’t have to shuffle stuff around as much to stay within safety margins.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Fall 2018 Overland Journal article on 2019 RAM 1500.

http://www.exploringoverland.com/ove...-2019-ram-1500

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

I'll estimate>
5 people @150 average weigh = 750 (reality is probably more)
Generator = 100
Topper or bed cover = 100

TOTAL = 2,150 LBS (approximately)

^ edited^
&
ps:
In an earlier post you said your newly licensed son would be the primary/everyday driver. That truck has a lot of power and not much load on the rear tires when empty, it will most likely spin the rear tires. And, the vehicle is top heavy (high center of gravity). It is not the safest vehicle for the average new driver.
Agree 100%! Do the math ahead of time...my Platinum 150EB SuperCrew 4x4 was a big disappointment in payload numbers...don't make that mistake. The Platinum, Limited, and King Ranch models are very nice drivers, but for payload, they suck compared to the LTX and Lariat potential payload's you can attain when ordered correctly. Don't go by the sales guy or spec sheets...check out the door jam "Payload" sticker.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
1997 34' Limited
2013 30' Classic
, Florida
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post

My brother, sarcastic as he is, "a Prius can tow an airstream, just not for long, or very far"
Nor would it be a fun ride!!
acwdgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to pixelhead
Lot's of good advice. My personal experience with a 25FB having started out with a 1/2 ton chevy and later upgraded to a 3/4 ton? Night and day towing experience, the 1/2 ton worked but it never felt real comfortable in the mountains or under heavy breaking. Many people start with a 1/2 ton and upgrade later, I've not heard of anyone downgrading. If you plan on covering a lot of miles a 3/4 ton makes a lot of sense.
pixelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
We towed our 2013 FC 25FB with our Ford F-150 Ecoboost engine for five years for many miles around the western US and Canada with no problems. Sold the AS last year and now travel in a Leisure Unity motorhome. Enjoy you 25FB - it's a great layout and very comfortable.
musicbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Corunna , Ontario
Check out this site.

https://www.canamrv.ca/

Great articles and videos of what possible for vehicles.
They set me up with my Ford explore platinum with the large Ecoboost motor, pulling a 25’ Safari. Pulls like a dream.

I was pleased and impressed with their knowledge.
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
St. Augustine , Florida
Countryboy59 You are soo going to get hammered! The Know-it-all overthinkers will be offended! You will know who they are shortly.....😂
sarge12212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I tow a 28 Serenity, so 2 ft longer and maybe 500 lbs more weight than your 25. I started towing it with an Expedition EcoBoost with a 9200 lb tow rating. It was OK, but only had 1319 lbs of payload. My hitch weight is 963 lbs.
I traded for a F250 diesel. What a difference! Anyone that says you don’t “need” an 3/4 ton may be technically correct, but it sure makes it easy to tow! And I am getting 16.5 mpg towing at 65 to 70 mph.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
1. How often are you going to tow?
2. How far are you going to tow?
3. Where are you going to tow?

A. You don’t NEED a 3/4 ton diesel. That IS overkill. Nice to be sure. But not necessary.
B. If you are towing for long stretches and out for a long time (months at a time) then it might make sense to go with a 3/4 ton gas for payload since you will want to drag along more stuff. If you are going out for a few weeks at a time a 1/2 ton will be just fine. Save your money and get a 1/2 ton F150 3.5 Ecoboost with MAX tow haul package (or something similar). I have 1850lbs of payload with mine which is completely sufficient, and I have a 28’ serenity.
C. If you are towing a lot in the mountains, then it might make sense to go with a 3/4 ton due to heavier duty breaks. If you want to spend the money (a lot more money) then a diesel is wonderful, but it is overkill.
E. I would think a lot more about your hitch set up. That will make a big difference in your towing experience. Get a no sway weight distribution system.

Remember if you get a 3/4 ton and you are using that to drive around town, that’s a big truck to depreciate (especially a diesel) and handle. And diesels are expensive to maintain and fix.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
25 foot FB AS TV

That’s exactly what I have. I bought it last year in February. I have a Ford F-150 with the 3.5 EB with the total tow package with 20 wheels. You need the 3:73 rear end if available or the 3:55 if not. Get the tow mirrors from the factory. I towed my AS 16,000 miles across the Rockies last year without a problem. If ordering your truck if I had my time to go over I would have gotten the 6.5 bed instead of the 5.5 long bed. Don’t let a dealer convince you you need a 2500 series truck. Don’t over buy cause that don’t have one of these trucks on their lot and most don’t. These trucks are designed for towing and they don’t order many with this rear end and TOTAL TOW PACKAGE. Be careful to make sure the wording on that. They will try to convince you it’s a tow package but it won’t be the total tow package. They tried to do that to me and put tow mirrors from an after market company. If it has the total tow package it will come with the tow mirrors from the manufacture. Good luck.
dnsapp is offline   Reply With Quote