Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Do I have a prayer of towing this trailer w/ my Chevy Van?

I am strongly considering the purchase of a really nice 80’s 25’ Avion and I don’t want to make a mistake in regard to being able to tow it.
Trailer is 25 foot Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 7000 pounds
Cargo Capacity 2000 pounds I maybe able to lighten it up a bit

The Chevy Express cargo Van 5.3L 285 hp 3 73 with slip differential. Rated at 6600lbs. All wheel drive. I believe the wheelbase is about 135”. Can I tow it safely? Thanks in advance Tony
Tony S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Enough Truck

I think you have enough truck. But make sure the hitch is rated for the trailer GVW. Class 3 with equalizer should handle it, Class 4 will definately handle it. Also make sure the ball on the hitch is the right size, my guess would be it's 2 5/16".
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good suggestions by TG Twinkie.

That's a fair amount of tow vehicle if you take it easy on long uphills and downshift for descents. For instance, search the forums on 'Tacoma' and read what people are succeeding with in the Pacific NW. I might not go the Tacoma route but your proposition certainly is reasonable as long as this TV is running for you.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You state it is rated at 6600#'s. Is that what it is rated to tow? If so you are over the limit. So there are several rateing.
Gross Vehicle weight rating GVWR
Gross Combined vehicle weight rating GCVWR
Axle weight rating - front and rear even on a 4X2
A towing rating

Several questions you need the answer to;
If you have the power to pull do you have the grunt to stop?
If you have the power to tow do you have a transmission to move that power to the drive axle?
If you have the power to tow do you have the suspension to handle the load?

For all of those answers I would follow the manufacturers specific direction. You did not indicate what year van you have so those answers from this end would only be a guess. And some times a guess will get you into trouble that you may not want to deal with.

The best thing that I see in your combo listed above is the axle ratio. That raio is a beautiful thing.
On the down side is the all wheel drive. This feature will drop the load capacity for towing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Axle
Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I appreciate the help.

This is the information I could round up. About my 2004 1500 AWD Chevy Express with the standard 5.3L 3.73 slip differential 285hp 325lb ft of torque@4000rpm 65,000 easy miles

I believe transmission is (from 2003) brochure

Hydra-matic 4 speed OD automatic: electronically controlled with brake/transmission shift interlock and Tow/Haul mode

from internet search

Payload & Towing 1500 AWD
Standard Towing (lb.) 6600
Maximum Towing (lb.) 6600
Standard Payload (lb.) 1998
Maximum Payload (lb.) 2090
Standard GVWR (lb.) 7200
Maximum GVWR (lb.) 7200

From a 2003 brochure

GVWR (lbs) 6200/7200
Base payload (lbs) 1406/2420

From a 2003 brochure

Front suspension: independent Gross Axle Weight Rating(lbs) 3600
Rear suspension hypoid drive live axle with two stage leaf spring
Gross Axle Weight Rating (lbs) 3167

From the door of van

GAWR RR 4000
GAWR frt 3600

From a 2003 brochure

Brakes 4 -wheel ventilated disc with Dynamic Rear Proportioning
Antilock brake system 4-wheel
Front roto size (in) diameter and thickness 12.01 x 1.1/4
Rear drum size (in) diameter and thickness 12.80 x 0.78

THIS INFORMATION WAS FROM A 2009 because I could not find it on 2004 but I believe it is basically same vehicle judging from comparing what 2004 info have to what they give for 2009

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front (lbs)3600Gross Axle Wt Rating -
Rear (lbs)4000Curb Weight - Front (lbs)2778Curb Weight - Rear (lbs)2051Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap (lbs)7300

Gross Combined Wt Rating (lbs)12000Gross Combined Wt Rating (lbs)9500

So can I tow safely 25 foot Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 7000 pounds
Cargo Capacity 2000 pounds. Which I take to mean the dry weight is 5000. lbs

I appreciate the help and hope this information answers your questions that help answer mine. Tony Rogue River Oregon
Old 05-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Never assume* from year to year the vehicle is the same. A buddy of mine got into a lil mechanical damage with a Crown Vic and a small trailer because he assumed his used full sized boat was the same as an older one he had. Come to find out even though the body styles were pretty much the same the tow rating went from 5000 #s to 2000 #s in one model year change.

To answer your question of ... "So can I tow safely 25 foot Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 7000 pounds"

And your internet search of this vehicle shows
Standard Towing (lb.) 6600
Maximum Towing (lb.) 6600

The answer is yes, however the price you pay to do it will be very high! As in expensive repair costs due to equipment failure and a possible losing lawsuit with no insurance coverage if you are involved in an accident and found to be the cause of it.

Pay load refers to what the manufacturer designed the van to carry inside.
Rear axle rating would be nice to know after you have your trailer hitched to the van and ran it across the scales.
Speaking of scales, I would run the van across the scales all by it's self with full load of fuel. Then you will know what the vehicle weighs. Subtract that number from 7200 Maximum GVWR. The difference will be what the van was designed to accept from tongue weigh, passengers and gear. There should be scales all along I-5 no further than Grants Pass or Medford.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

*In fact some people will say "Never assume ever because it makes an .... well I think you have heard that one before.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Tony,

Several years back I towed a 24' Argosy with a 1/2 ton 350 engine Suburban, and then traded the Argosy for a 23' Avion. The Suburban towed the Argosy handily, but the Avion almost killed the Suburban. The thing is, the Avions are much heavier and much harder to pull aerodynamically than Airstream products.

So, based on this experience, and where you live, I believe your proposed tow vehicle will tow your trailer safely, but don't believe you will be satisfied with the experience. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
I used to tow my 31' Excella with a 1/2 ton Dodge van equipped similar to your Chevy. It's tow rating was just slightly more than the GVW of the A/S and had a long wheel base. It did the job and we took two extended trips with it of over 7000 miles each in the eastern U.S. However it was hard work right at its maximum limits for the van and it suffered. Also hills up and down were a real challenge. Our Excella weighs less than your Avion by about 1000 lbs and it is a little more aerodynamic. We just completed a 12,000 mile loop around the western US including a trip through your neck of the woods with the same trailer and our F350 TV. No problem, the van however I'm very sure would have died trying to do it not to mention the down hills would have been pretty scary.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
Thanks for adding to the discussion. It is starting to add up bad. I want the Avion if I can come to a suitable agreement on price. I also will gladly take an Argosy or AS in same shape. A thing that matters to me is I feel the guy is being honest and that I can deal with him in a straight forward manner which is the only way I will do it. Mostly, I like his coach and he certainly has pride in it, all the way to price asking but... In contrast, I do a round about the classifieds everyday, twice usually. I can't believe some of the ads. The seller has an attitude in the add. Others don't list the basic info and even have an attitude. For instance, two days ago I called a guy in Las Vegas with an Argosy he didn't know the true size, didn't have the title available, only one picture, mentioned in passing (as a slip) dents that where probably from hail. Anyway I think many of you have been exposed to the same on your search. Of course there are lots of good folks out there that play straight and are who I will wait to buy from. I have a perfectly serviceable tent trailer to use until I find the right coach.

Back to the towing. I have read numerous times buy the trailer you want that tow vehicles come and go. I can use that as a justification, but I sure like my current van ( a little less at the moment due to its limitations) and really can't afford to sell it and buy another. I could just live with it being marginal and know I will be beating it a bit and will have to replace it sooner. Can anyone advocate or validate the above justification?

I can hardly say it but it looks like I should wait to find my 24' Argosy or Tradewind or Safari.

Thanks again Tony
Old 05-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Tony,

I think you are going with the correct aproach in respect to the tow vehicle issue. Don't take me wrong, the Avions are very nice trailers, and in some ways nicer than the early Airstreams, but they are harder to tow. If you've found a nice one and are happy with the "deal", it's really hard to go wrong, as your van will pull it. I just know that I wouldn't be satisfied with the experience.

As an example, there is a couple in our WBCCI unit that tow their 31' AS with a Tahoe, of course 1/2 ton, and think it is a great tow vehicle. The thing is, I came up behind them one day going to a rally, and they were only driving 45 MPH. They are happy with that, so to each............