Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Difference in towing due to vehicle length?

Hi all, thanks to everyone that responded to my "Best $12K TV" thread.

Interestingly, it seems that very similar trucks (all with double or crew type cabs) that have LONG (8') beds, are cheaper than ones with SHORT (6') beds. Not sure why, but it must be supply/demand.

So, besides the inconvenience of harder to store, and I guess make sharp corners, what effect will a longer truck have- on towing?

BTW, I don't need the 8' bed for any function.

Thanks,

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general the longer wheelbase provides more stability while towing.

Crew cab trucks with an 8' bed are too long to fit in most garages and parking stalls. Extended cab trucks with an 8' bed are a tight fit in those places and may not fit in all of them. If you live, work, or travel to places where parking is at a premium, that is a serious problem.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Wow, a terrific, concise answer in 7 minutes that explains the issue to me exactly. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks, and ya gotta love this forum!

Don
Old 08-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
Hi all, thanks to everyone that responded to my "Best $12K TV" thread.

Interestingly, it seems that very similar trucks (all with double or crew type cabs) that have LONG (8') beds, are cheaper than ones with SHORT (6') beds. Not sure why, but it must be supply/demand.

So, besides the inconvenience of harder to store, and I guess make sharp corners, what effect will a longer truck have- on towing?

BTW, I don't need the 8' bed for any function.

Thanks,

Don
Don.

The super heavy duty truck your thinking about, WILL beat the living devil out of your Airstream.

An Airstream trailer MUST have a soft ride, or else.

The or else, is many damages to the trailer and the appliances.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I tow a similar Safari beautifully with a standard wheelbase F-150. In fact I downgraded from a Super Duty and have never regretted it.

Considering your situation with a 25' trailer, the only advantages of the larger truck would be the availability of diesel and a larger fuel tank.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Tinloaf, Andy, and others- Not sure how I implied it, but I DON'T want a heavy duty truck- would be most happy with the smallest capable vehicle. I'm aiming at a gas 1/2 ton pickup. Just want to make an educated decision. If I could swing the money, a '07 or later Tundra with the 5.7L engine and 6 speed tranny, and a comfortable ride, seems like a great choice. If I thought I could get away with an earlier Tundra with the 4.6 engine, that would be great too.

Don
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Tinloaf, Andy, and others- Not sure how I implied it, but I DON'T want a heavy duty truck- would be most happy with the smallest capable vehicle. I'm aiming at a gas 1/2 ton pickup. Just want to make an educated decision. If I could swing the money, a '07 or later Tundra with the 5.7L engine and 6 speed tranny, and a comfortable ride, seems like a great choice. If I thought I could get away with an earlier Tundra with the 4.6 engine, that would be great too.

Don
Don.

Now your cooking on the right burner.

Just make sure that the rear suspension is "NOT" heavy duty.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Interestingly, it seems that very similar trucks (all with double or crew type cabs) that have LONG (8') beds, are cheaper than ones with SHORT (6') beds. Not sure why, but it must be supply/deman
Yup, supply and demand. I just figure the truck looks better with a short bed.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have an F-250 Supercab and short bed; about the shortest 3/4 ton you can get. I ordered it that way after having a 2002 1 ton (F-350) Crew Cab Long bed (about 22' long) and couldn't fit into any parking space except for the back 40 acres. I LOVE my supercab short bed.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our old Chevy crewcab had an 8-foot bed and a long wheelbase. It towed great, but when we drove it around town (without our Bambi), it was like parking a semi. It overhung regular parking spaces, so we had to park in the back 40 in parking lots, where we could use half of the next parking space to accomodate the extra length.

In addition, U-turns were almost impossible, even on four-lane streets where we'd start the U-turn from the highspeed lane, instead of being in the turn lane, to allow for the huge turning radius.

Our 2008 Tundra CrewMax's turning radius (with 5-1/2 foot bed, I think) is more like a regular car, and we can park it in all but the compact car spaces. Plus, U-turns are a breeze, even with our 19-foot Bambi in tow. The Toyota is much more comfortable and a very capable tow vehicle; and I would not go back to the Chevy, especially with our small Airstream.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Andy (and others), My search for a TV has gone a bit wild (and more expensive). Looking seriously at TWO different '07 Tundras (5.7 engine, tow package etc.). One has "TRD" and the other doesn't. Wonder if the "TRD" package makes the ride stiffer, and therefore worse for the Airstream? The TRD truck has some other advantages (new LT tires, slightly better condition, nicer guy to buy from...)

Quick! Might buy one tomorrow!!

Thanks,

Don
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If I recall correctly, depending on the model you have, the TRD option may not actually add much. We got it when we bought our Tundra new in 2008, because it wasn't a very expensive option, and it added several things we wanted. I have not ridden in a regular model to see if our TRD rides differently, but the ride is not hard or truck-like (compared to our previous 1978, 3/4 ton Chevy crewcab). See description below, which is for the 2011 model:

TRD OFF-ROAD PACKAGE -- Includes off-road-tuned suspension, Bilstein® shocks, unique 18-in. alloy wheels with P275/65R18 BFGoodrich® tires, fog lamps (Standard on Limited models), manual sliding rear window with privacy glass (Regular Cab models only), engine (4x2 models only) and fuel tank skid plates, front tow hooks (4x2 models only), TRD Off-Road Package graphic and Tow Package (see below). (Excludes Limited and Regular Cab models.)

TOW PACKAGE [3] -- Includes tow hitch receiver, trailer brake controller prewire, 4.300 rear axle ratio (4.100 on 4.6L V8), TOW/HAUL mode switch, transmission fluid temperature gauge, supplemental transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 7-pin connector and heavy-duty alternator and battery.

Note: Check out Consumer Reports for 2007 model reliability. The 4WD model has some drivetrain issues in the transmission, transfer case and front differential. We have a 2008, CrewMax, Limited, 2WD and have had absolutely no problems.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote