Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Diesel Smoking

My F-350 is now starting to smoke reallyy bad in the morning when I start up. It also has a hard time actually moving and keeping the engine RPM up... However, once I finally get from the crawling at 3 mph to the drive... everything works just fine - even in the afternoon - cranks right up and off it goes... I know nothing about diesels - other than it uses a glow plug... before I take this to a Ford Dealer....would like to edumacate myself..
Old 10-15-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Sounds a lot like a few glow plugs are not working. Check the glow plug fuse first. It should be a 50 or 70A flat style fuse somewhere.
It could be a sticky or dirty injector, but usually then you would notice it all the time.
Unless it's direct injection.....then you'd better see the dealer.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Fuel filter

Had that problem once colder it got worse it got. Thought I was in for a major $ repair. Turned out to be the fuel filter ?
Worth a shot..

GARRY
Old 10-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
What year is your Ford and how many miles? How old are the batteries? Do you know any history on what's been done as far as maintenance? I would check the batteries first and then move on to the glowplug relay and the glowplugs. Depending on the model you also need to check the glowplug wire harnesses where they pass thro the valve covers, they are known to burn at that connection. Replacing all these components yourself is not too difficult and is probably what the dealer would do first anyways. Try to stick with Motorcraft parts which are available at decent parts houses at a better price than the dealer.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Agree with Chas. Bettin' it's the relay.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Its a 99 7.3L with about 150K on it. The only maintence shy of the regular oil changes was that I ended up having to get the water pump replaced. It has the dual battery set-up - and they appear to still be strong.

Will take a look at it when it stops raining and see if I can locate some of those things mentioned here. Its not a Jeep so I am fairly clueless what everything is in there as its jammed packed. It has every option imaginable from the cold weather kit, etc...

Thanks for the suggestions - hopefully it is something I can do myself but with my trip end of the month to LA - I want to make sure I can get there and back with the AS with no hiccups...
Old 10-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Its either the relay or the fuel filter. They will both give the same effect, especially when it gets colder.

Try plugging in your block heater at night and see if that helps. If it does, check the relay.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote