Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Exactly, stories, nothing more.

All the time? Odd that I've never once seen it.

That's either hyperbole or you need to learn to shop around. Brand new Bosch injectors, $2,000. But then I only have 210,000 on my originals and they are performing flawlessly so no need to go there.
Well you have obviously not seen much.....

Yes, we just had to do it to our Cummins.....$4000, and that was the buddy price.....sorry you just do not know what you are talking about.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:09 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
.$4000, and that was the buddy price....

Injectors Direct, six new Bosch injectors for 5.9 Cummins $2,094. Your buddy must not like you.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Six new injectors for a Cummins 6.7, 2007-2012 at Lincoln Diesel Specialties only $1999.00!! Sure glad I don't have a "buddy" that sells me things!! Injectors for 2013-2018 are the same price!! Injectors for the 5.9 are the same price, new, only $1999.00!! Pays to shop around a bit!! Duramax injectors only $1849 for the 2011-2016!! I bought injectors from them for my 2002 Duramax and was very pleased. Some people just hate diesel's. Most that make very negative comments have never owned one!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
...........where was the above mentioned getting his fuel? Maybe from a steel above ground tank? Or worse...
That is a good question, I didn't get much more detail than what I've mentioned here. It was really more of a "this is some of the ramifications of a diesel system".......good, bad, or indifferent.

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Six new injectors for a Cummins 6.7, 2007-2012 at Lincoln Diesel Specialties only $1999.00!! Sure glad I don't have a "buddy" that sells me things!! Injectors for 2013-2018 are the same price!! Injectors for the 5.9 are the same price, new, only $1999.00!! Pays to shop around a bit!! Duramax injectors only $1849 for the 2011-2016!! I bought injectors from them for my 2002 Duramax and was very pleased. Some people just hate diesel's. Most that make very negative comments have never owned one!!
As the saying goes sht happens.
I read these stories and I am amazed.
As I posted previously I spent better part of 40 years purchasing, owning and maintaining diesel equipment and during those years I can count on one hand so called catastrophic failures especially due to fuel systems.
Ran our semis for 750 k miles rebuilt the engines and ran them another 500k before selling or trading. My mechanic could rebuild a Cat 3204, parts costing under 5k, and that would include a new injector pump.
I own a BMW 540 as my daily driver ( the ultimate driving machine ) that has been collecting dust the last 5 years because I prefer to drive my F-250 diesel. I even drive it downtown Chicago when I take my wife out to Ruth Chris. The porters get a kick out of driving it.
Of course I spent my working life in pickup trucks.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
Injectors Direct, six new Bosch injectors for 5.9 Cummins $2,094. Your buddy must not like you.

At our Dodge shop here, materials and labor, $4000.00

We did not do the repair ourselves, and neither will 99.9 % of the diesel engine owners out there.....so a materials and labor price is the only price worth mentioning, on this forum, to work on a modern diesel engine....

This was at the Dodge dealer, that guaranteed the work, and used top shelf injectors that they guaranteed.......We were not interested in aftermarket bs that had some flaky or non-existent warranty....
Old 12-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
..We were not interested in aftermarket bs that had some flaky or non-existent warranty....

New Bosch injectors are not aftermarket with a flaky warranty. OEM actually.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #68
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
As I posted previously I spent better part of 40 years purchasing, owning and maintaining diesel equipment and during those years I can count on one hand so called catastrophic failures especially due to fuel systems.
Ran our semis for 750 k miles rebuilt the engines and ran them another 500k before selling or trading. My mechanic could rebuild a Cat 3204, parts costing under 5k, and that would include a new injector pump.
Your 3204 was not a truck engine, it would have been installed in something like a Cat D3 or 931 track loader. What we used to call Lawn & Garden equipment. It came out in the 1970s as a pre-cup engine, before the days of direct injection. It had a single injection pump. There is no comparison to repair costs to modern emission-controlled diesels. I suspect that all of your semis were pre-emissions as well, so also not comparable. All you had to do in those days was drain the water out of the separator on a regular basis.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
New Bosch injectors (8) from Lincoln Diesel, installed at local shop with warranty $2800!! I don't go to dealers unless under warranty. Don't like getting bent over. Why pay dealer shop rates with second rate mechanics, when you can get far better mechanics and a lot less shop rate at a smaller private shop. Common sense prevails!! Good idea to shop around and ask people for a referral.
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I've drove nothing but diesel trucks since 1999. I do not drive my diesel truck more than once a week and sometimes twice a month unless I am on a vacation and hauling the AS or a stock trailer at sale time, (I drive a company truck daily). Same with my diesel tractors sometimes sit for a month or more. In my 40 years of owning diesels, I have NEVER had a water in fuel issue.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Your 3204 was not a truck engine, it would have been installed in something like a Cat D3 or 931 track loader. What we used to call Lawn & Garden equipment. It came out in the 1970s as a pre-cup engine, before the days of direct injection. It had a single injection pump. There is no comparison to repair costs to modern emission-controlled diesels. I suspect that all of your semis were pre-emissions as well, so also not comparable. All you had to do in those days was drain the water out of the separator on a regular basis.
I just spoke to my Son and he corrected me we had CAT 3208 in some of our trucks. Our smaller front end loaders came with CAT 3204 engines.
Our 179k lbs CAT 375 excavators came with the CAT 3126 engine.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #72
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I just spoke to my Son and he corrected me we had CAT 3208 in some of our trucks. Our smaller front end loaders came with CAT 3204 engines.
3204 was a half of a 3208, with common parts.

The 1100/3208 came out in 1967, for Ford medium duty trucks. The last 3208 in a truck was in 1999, as they didn’t meet year 2000 emission controls. Which is to say that they are based on much older technology, and not relevant to a discussion about repair costs of modern diesel engines in pickup trucks.

I do recall delivering new Ford C7000 delivery vans with 3208 engines in the late 1970s.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I take the scare about water in fuel and biodiesel seriously. You cannot get away from biodiesel - I believe it is at least a minimum 5% most everywhere I have been and some states it is up to 20%.
Several years ago as a preventative measure I had an additional Mopar water separator added to my truck at the dealership. This should filter out the water and set an alarm if it happens before the fuel gets to the factory filter/h20 separator.

All you can really do is put on more filtration and service the filters at regular intervals to guard against this happening. Keep spare filters in the truck.

The fuel pump that has been on the naughty list due to water in fuel is the Bosch CP4 pump used on many of the late model Ford, GM and VW diesels. Dodge used the CP3 pump which had a better reliability record. For some dumb reason Dodge decided to use the CP4 pump in the 2019 and newer CTD's. People are wary and shops are starting to make retrofit kits to CP3 pumps. Shops are either working on peoples fears or they understand the questionable history of the Bosch CP4 pump.
I agree with what an earlier poster has said that owning a diesel takes more involvement from the owner. Many people are not used to this because they have driven gas n go econoboxes without much need for maintenance besides the occasional oil change. Remember when tune-ups happened every 10k miles with points, condenser and plugs.......
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
You cannot get away from biodiesel ..

It is a requirement that pumps label if they have biodiesel and how much. I tend to only buy my diesel at Shell stations because they generally don't have biodiesel. At least that's my experience. I don't shop for the cheapest per gallon price because usually the cheap price is for biodiesel. If I'm in a jamb I'll get 10 gallons or so but I try to avoid even that.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
New Bosch injectors (8) from Lincoln Diesel, installed at local shop with warranty $2800!! I don't go to dealers unless under warranty. Don't like getting bent over. Why pay dealer shop rates with second rate mechanics, when you can get far better mechanics and a lot less shop rate at a smaller private shop. Common sense prevails!! Good idea to shop around and ask people for a referral.

Our Dodge dealer has the state of the art equipment to do the job right, and the ability to stand behind it......bubba joe with a great "presentation" that has uncle dan working for him, with maybe one certified mechanic in the whole shop, who is never actually there, and they watch youtube videos to figure out how to fix your truck.......naw....I am not trusting my 15,000.00 diesel engine to uncle dan, or bubba joe......common sense does prove valuable ! Thats why I only use authorized shops with ALL certified mechanics ! bubba joe sipping bourbon on break and making up excuses why it is gonna cost me twice as much as they quoted is not my idea of a good deal !
Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Gosh. My local shop has 2 certified mechanic's, one Ford and one Dodge. Both left the dealership because of lack of work, other than warranty work. Why?? Because nobody takes therir diesel to the dealer for repair because of the rip off shop rates!! These guys charge "real" time, not "book" time. Always busy and use "factory" parts. Warranty their work. Dealer shops are so slow that they are adding anything and everything to unknowing customers. A smart diesel owner will check around to find a good repair shop. Easy to ask other diesel owners in the area. JMHO!!
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
So knowing all of this, it seems that even the newer engines should run a long while if you take proper care of them and don't ignore the warning indicators which are there for a reason.

I wrench all my vehicles when possible, the bigger jobs and exotic repairs I usually give my dealer as if they do it wrong it is on them to rectify.

I can see why most people don't want to get involved in the new EPA version of diesel rigs, but I guess from what I'm hearing, it's really a no brainer and I will be able to handle the normal ins and outs of the engine type.

I'll be certainly looking at forums that deal with the model and make I'm looking for to get further background on their operations and repair issues.

As I said in my first post, I was just taken back to actually see a $12k invoice just for repair......and half was labor.....

Thanks to everyone who contributed, much appreciated.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Wow...had diesels since 1992..ford 7.3....07 ram with 6.7...and now a 17 ram with 6.7...and my last big truck..with 1.4 million miles....never had any water in the fuel...makes you wonder where the problem fuel is comming from
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Quote:
Gosh. My local shop has 2 certified mechanic's, one Ford and one Dodge. Both left the dealership because of lack of work, other than warranty work. Why?? Because nobody takes therir diesel to the dealer for repair because of the rip off shop rates!! These guys charge "real" time, not "book" time. Always busy and use "factory" parts. Warranty their work. Dealer shops are so slow that they are adding anything and everything to unknowing customers. A smart diesel owner will check around to find a good repair shop. Easy to ask other diesel owners in the area. JMHO!!
Here in the USA, the diesel mechanics at the dealer shops are backed up for months.....can't speak for your country, and it does not matter. We talkin about USA.