Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Diesel Heads..What Fuel Additive?

I use Ford diesel fuel additive and avoid bio diesel like the plague.Refined animal fats and cooking oils and who knows what has been blended.It is probably great in a old school Diesel engine but it has no place in my $25,000 computer controlled sensor laden complicated high pressure injected 2015 6.7 turbo diesel.
The new diesel fuel when refined for low emissions loses most all of the natural occurring lubricating properties They actually add lubricants back into the blend after refining takes place.
Ford frowns on its usage for a reason other than a conspiracy against bio producers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There was once a website where we could find "racing" fuels.

Wonder how we could find "pure" diesel?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Impo, none! Unless the manufacturer of your engine requires it. Most are either an unnecessary waste of money or snake oil.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:25 AM   #24
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Another Stanedyne user here. But my truck is right at 12 years old with 175k and I am the original owner. Not a single fuel related issue. But I don't think that if I stopped using it my truck would self-destruct either. YMMV.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 AM   #25
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Ford's Cetane Boost PM22 in every tank and Ford does recommend it. Where do you find the Cetane ratings? I think that I might have seen a rating once. I know when I get better fuel, the truck gets better mileage, but it is very random around here. The best fuel that I have used was in the Southwest, especially Texas.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
not to hijack the thread but if you have a 6.0L ford you might like to learn about Archoil's products. Bill Hewitt of PowerstrokeHelp.com has been putting out some videos about how the oil addative has been helping, especially the 6.0L, with injector sticktion. you know how when it cold the engine will start but seem like it running on 3 cylinders for a bit till it get warmed up some.

they, archoil, also has product for fuel that folks are using and some see difference other don't. the cost is inline with most other stuff to a bit lower depending on what "snake oil" you are using.

diesel fuel is like gas. you can go to one station and the car runs like new, go to another on and it runs like it has 300K miles. "Fuel" is NOT perfect in any way or shape. If it were perfect, there were be no injector or pump problems. Injector rebuilding is probably one of the biggest industries to come up in the past 10 yrs.. WHY.. crap fuel thanks to EPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So what can you tell us on how to know it is going down? I drive a 6.0 Powerstroke by the way, so obviously I have my concerns.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, it has nothing to do with crap injectors?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Crap fuel thanks to the EPA?

I wonder what the crap fuel would be like if it were left up to the oil refineries.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post

I wonder what the crap fuel would be like if it were left up to the oil refineries.
I left up to the refineries diesel fuel would still be good and there would be no reason to have additives except for cold weather operation. The EPA just makes living more expensive for the common man through its unfunded mandates.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #30
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Impo, none! Unless the manufacturer of your engine requires it. Most are either an unnecessary waste of money or snake oil.
I'd agree with you for the most part. However, it is important to use fuel that has an HFRR of less than 350 for longevity of the high pressure fuel pump. The US standard is 520. If you are using an non biodiesel blend, I would use some type of additive to lower the HFRR of straight ULSD.

Here is a study from last winter showing diesel fuel quality worldwide.

https://www.infineum.com/media/80722...ull-screen.pdf

Old 10-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #31
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I left up to the refineries diesel fuel would still be good and there would be no reason to have additives except for cold weather operation. The EPA just makes living more expensive for the common man through its unfunded mandates.
Well, that's one opinion. I don't share it though. I would bet it would be similar to the diesel in Kuwait with 1350 ppm of sulphur. That will get you big black clouds of soot from every diesel engine.

I have lived in places where there isn't an EPA like entity. Not good. I prefer to have clean air.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Lance, perhaps I gave the short answer. My presumption was, of course, that one uses a known high quality fuel. I see fleets who use low bid and end up with issues sometimes.

And yes, a bio blend, (again presuming a quality blender/distributor) is really good stuff for lubricity. I did see a localized issue with bio 2 winters ago in Central Illinois. This was not due to "bean squeezins" but a quality spill at the blender...out of spec fuel got out.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #33
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Stanadyne Lubricity, thank you. I also have some Fuerza Diesel Additive given to me by a friend (10 large bottles). Diesel
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
If your truck uses DEF (all newer model diesels) and you use additives you will notice a increase in DEF usage. I pull loads of cabinets to West Texas with my Dodge Ram duelly and run hard for hours at a time only stopping to fillup from my aux tank with pump in the bed. I have used Power Service gray bottle and noticed little to no fuel mileage increase but way more DEF usage.

If your going to use additives stay below the recommended amount. These new trucks don't need that much of the stuff like the old ones. If I am running heavy BioDiesel I will run a little more than normal.

Winter I use the Power Service white bottle anti-gel. Saved my bacon more than once. Consider it like winterizing your trailers plumbing. Guys in the south might not think they need it but I got caught in single digit temps in West Texas before.

These newer diesels are a whole different animal from days gone by. Much more stuff to go wrong emissions wise but I'm not seeing any problems on the road. Last 100,000 miles no engine troubles at all. Had a rear wheel seal start a slow leak. Only problem. Thank you Ram and Cummins.

Boy's the key to these new engines is to work them. Put a load behind that diesel. Helps tremendously to keep the engine clean and running for a long time. Stop and go traffic and short trips to the store will eventually clog your emissions with soot. Remember that black smoke you use to see coming out of the exhaust? It's getting trapped inside the exhaust so running hot and hard cleans that out. These are work trucks. Work it! You will be glad you did.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I don't know, a lot of opinions on the subject.

After adding Opti-Lube, my truck runs much better. I used to avoid starting it until I had the kids in it because the exhaust was a real turn off. Now it Opti-Lube, the issue is near gone. I am getting 15 mph towing my 30', we are 17,000 lbs going down the road.

I don't have the time to research fuel when going down the road, I run out, I get more. I try to find the best I can but hey, I'm on vacation in the middle of nowhere.

Opti-Lube has been on of the best things I have done for my truck from my observations, hope that helps the OP.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post

This new fuel is way better than the old fuel,you don't have the jelling problems that you had with all the paraffin , the sulfur which corroded the valves, the new fuel burns cleaner and the fuel filters will run 50000 miles, or more I remember the fuel in the late 1970 's plugging the fuel filters at 21 degrees, and you don't see all the black black smoke coming out of the exhaust when idling also the new engines with this new fuel last longer..Life is good....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote