Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Diesel Excursion Owners!

Looking for some input from those who use a Ford Excursion diesel as a tow vehicle.

My current TV is fine for my needs (Nissan Aramda), but I stumbled across a 2004 Ford Excursion Ltd with the 6.0 TD at a very reasonable cost.

My concerns are on the 6.0 TD, and some of the "new motor" issues and recall Ford has had, as well as the suppoed horrable OEM shocks on the Excursion itself. I have no idea how well it will handle my 28' Safari (7300#).

My reasons for looking at this beast are as follows:
  1. Diesel - 6.0 is quiter and better milage than the older 7.3
  2. Better milelage both with or without the A/S.
  3. More Margin of weight on the TV than I have on the Nissan Armada.
  4. Diesel - Keep the engine idling to keep the 2 dogs in back cool in the texas heat and warm in the texas winter.
  5. Flexability to get a bigger A/S later???
Can anyone with Diesel Excursions chime in on their thoughts? or Mods they felt they needed? Happy with it as a TV or should I wait until GM ever gets a diesel back into their suburbans?

Thanks

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Wow, that's some hefty TV for a Bambi. Sounds good for a 25' and above, but I think you're going with too big iron for that Bambi. This may be your last chance to get an X, but gee, you could just hoist the Bambi on the roof and give it a softer ride.

You DO tow a Bambi, right?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
AYRSTRM2Wow, that's some hefty TV for a Bambi. Sounds good for a 25' and above, but I think you're going with too big iron for that Bambi. This may be your last chance to get an X, but gee, you could just hoist the Bambi on the roof and give it a softer ride.

You DO tow a Bambi, right?

John
John,

No, I had a 2005 Bambi CCD for 10 months until aluminumitis struck again, and I got a 2006 28' Safari....

I can't find the option for a 2006 28' in the model listings for my avatar, and I've just kept my screen name...

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
aha. Well, check the thread "A-frame cracks..." They're talking about the F-250 right now. I'm no expert so who knows?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Post The Excursion is a great truck!!!

My 2003 has been terrific and as you know, this was the first year for the 6.0L. At 65MPH without the Airstream and without the AC running, I get 21 MPG!!! Towing I get about 16-17MPGs. I've had no problems with the engine and the torqshift tranny is fantasic on the 6% grades. Tap the brake as you're going downhill and the tranny maintains your present speed. No need to brake anymore!!!

The shocks are OK, but I put Bilsteins on mine and will soon go with the Rancho 9000s. The only problem I've had is with the A/C. It crapped out after the warranty.

I can honestly say this is the best truck/vehicle I've ever owned. A pleasure to drive and tow with.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Oi, if they would just put that modular diesel in the F-150 chassis. I would buy a diesel Expedition in a Heartbeat!!!!

Rumor is, they won't because they don't want them to compete with the heavy duty trucks (f-250 and f-350). My loss.

John
Old 08-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Mello Mike,

Thanks for your comment. was the MPG calculation based on the on board trip computer, or your calculation based on miles / gallons at the filling station?

Did you have any other mods than the shocks? I hear many people with the 2003 did not have rear sway bars, and had to add those, or the ones that came OEM on the later models were undersized, and so people were using aftermarket or a rear swaybar from a F350.

The only issue I has was "porpoising" on a very rough road in Memphis TN. Other than that, I've had no issue with the current TV.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #8
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Better get it ! There are NO More !

This could be your last opportunity to get a good Excursion. The one your looking at will tow anything. I have bought 5 Excursions since they came out and wouldn't have anything else (if I have the choice).

I prefer the gas engine but also have had the diesel units (7.3). 'sarmimi' on the Forum is towing a similar rig around the country with that vehicle and apparently he is quite pleased.

Go to: http://www.fordwarrantys.com/?source=adwords
Type in the VIN & mileage and see if that unit will be accepted for a FORD ESP Premium Plan. If so, buy it and don't worry.

By-the-way, I lock & idle my V-10's to keep the dog cool and haven't ever had any problems doing it. I have never had overheating problems, idling or towing, even when the outside temp displays at 114 F (towing through Las Vegas & the desert in July).

If you want to research a Forum about the Diesel & Excursions you can go here:

There are other diesel threads that are referred to within this Forum. Further, you could go the extra upgrading with sway bars, traction controls, upgrade brakes, etc., although in my opinion the Excursion does just fine stock. Maybe after 100K and the warranty is expired or maintenance requires replacement, upgrades could be considered.

BUY AMERICAN !
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Mello Mike,

Thanks for your comment. was the MPG calculation based on the on board trip computer, or your calculation based on miles / gallons at the filling station?

Did you have any other mods than the shocks? I hear many people with the 2003 did not have rear sway bars, and had to add those, or the ones that came OEM on the later models were undersized, and so people were using aftermarket or a rear swaybar from a F350.

The only issue I has was "porpoising" on a very rough road in Memphis TN. Other than that, I've had no issue with the current TV.

Kevin
The MPGs were hand-calculated and verified by the computer. Yes, I got rid of the OEM rear sway bar and upgraded to one which made a significant improvement on turns.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
_

. , .
excursion or f-250?

hi bandit

certainly when there is a good price on a near new tow rig.....well it becomes hard to cross shop. so many variables to consider........but

have you considered the f-250 super crew with the psd?

some of the reasons i like it over the excursion.....

-it hasn't been discontinued
-the truck version has a higher tow rating/ncc. either would be fine for the safari but you did mention potential trailer upgrades.....
-new ones have coil instead of leaf springs up front for a tighter turning radius...excursion uses the older version of the front end.
-with the s crew cab there plenty of room for dogs but lots less space to cool
-camping supplies stored in the back......stay in the back during sudden stopping.
-if you carry dirty or smelly (gas can) stuff....putting items in the truck bed is more isolating
-the truck bed has more space than the excursion
-turns out there is more space in the engine compartment too so mods are easier (like turbos or banks power pack)...i think the truck may have higher performance figures because some larger exhaust bits are used on the trucks
-with the truck in long wheel base version you get a bigger fuel tank and even better towing characteristics because of the long wheel base

while i went with a 4x4, given you live in texas the 2wd has an independent front suspension and weighs less so it has greater towing capacity, better mileage, better handling and looks cooler...

i haven't posted pics of the 250 but with the bed shell it looks like a reallllllly long excursion......cool.

lastly if you are thinking about any ford with the psd, join the yahoo group for powerstrokediesels. it is an amazing forum with a true mastermechanic that answers questions better than any mechanic i've ever met!

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
2air,

Good points on the F250. I looked at them for those exact reasons, and I know they redsigend the front end of them this year. I would get one in a heartbeat if I knew of a way to cap the bed and heat / cool it.

I thought about putting my 2 dogs in the back seat of the crew cab, but experience tells me from a 3/4 ext cab GMC I had before, it doesn't take a long trip for the siberian husky hair to float on forward on any breeze or movement!

I'd love to get the p/u, but with the dogs, - oh yeah, can't forget about the wife, and the remote possiblity of future kids, I just think the Excursion is the only choice I have in a newer diesel SUV (not counting the Hummer H1 wagon).

Part of me is kicking myself for getting my Nissan armada in the first place. Got that new last year, all before the airstream bug bit my wife and I. It was more of a toy, so I didn't really need it. But in retrospect, if I still would of had my 2001 Tahoe, it would have been a very borderline situation in towing the 28' Safari, so at least I can do that with more margin on the Armada than the Tahoe. It has plenty of power, but now I "want" more margin and "dog space".

With all the road trips/trailer travels now, keeping the dogs cool or warm is a new issue for us. That diesel excursion is the only thing I know that I can feel comfortable in both towing and idiling.

Kevin
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
_

. , .
kevin

well don't kick yourself too hard.....the nissan is a fine rig; well made and stylish with a touch of brute.....it's just that once the airstream bug bites our rating system for cars and trucks changes.

figured you had debated the truck/suv issue with the dogs, wifey, future bandits and trailer in mind, but it always helps to bounce it around before spending the cash.

good luck with the challenge of buying an american built vehicle. this truck is my first us auto in 30+ years and on balance it's just right for the task....but i kept my euro wagon and asian roadster too! driving a truck/big suv everyday in a metro area is a lot of work.

there still isn't really an asian/euro competor for the big 3 when it comes to towing or building condo sized suvs.

as for the hummer, i drive a real h-1 several times a month out on the prairie ranch and they are perfect for herding cattle, crossing creeks, ravines and so on.......and amazingly agile. BUT they are slow and have too short of wheel base for towing a big trailer like yours or mine.

cheers
2air
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up VIN Check?

I know that the Diesel Place Forums will do a free VIN check on DuraMax diesels to see if there have been any service issues... Is there one for Fords? Am I limited to only a CarFax history?

Kevin
Old 08-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #14
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Better buy it before it gets away !

Kevin,

Take the VIN to a cooperative Ford dealer service department. Get one of the service attendants to plug the VIN into the computer and run an OASIS RESULT. Print it - take it home and study.

The OASIS will provide you with the basic build spec's of that vehicle and it's warranty repair history; which dealer did the repairs and what they were. It will tell you if any outstanding field service actions (recalls) exsist and what, if any, extended warranty is placed on that vehicle.

For more basic TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) info on that VIN go to:
http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html. Here you can get a hint of what issues that year vehicle has had & pay for the detailed information.

The Diesel Stop DS is a good place to see other peoples issues.

For special upgrades to suspension, etc. try this: SM Find 'LANDYOT' submissions to their Forum ... A little over the top, but that what some people do.

For a simple install and adequate sway bar go to: Helw
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Thanks Driftwood,

That site gives me a pretty good idea of what to look for. Too bad it requires a subscription to see the details.

I just joined the supermotors.org excursion forum to ping some of those guys too.

It's too bad the TSBs and recall info isn't free... Not that way on my Nissan.

For those who use Nissan Armada / Titan for Tow Vehicles, or for anyone who has Nissan / Infinity vehicles, this website is awsome to keep you up to date on TSBs and recalls, and it's free!!!

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Model.htm

Kevin
Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Now I got one!!!

Thanks to all on this thread for their pointers and opinions...I just picked one up from Houston last night...

I gots myself a (new to me ) 2005 Limited Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel....

I now have to redo the layout of my toolbox and workbench in the garage, but it fits with a few inches to spare!!

Cant wait to hook it up to the AS!!!

Thanks guys... (now I'm ready for a bigger A/S)

Kevin
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #17
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Congrats, Kevin! Get a set of LandYot's radius rods and make sure you've got the rear sway bar installed. Air your tires up to near max pressure (70-75psi) and you'll have a serious towing machine!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
_

. , .
congrats bandit on the new ford.

i was new to this diesel thing myself in march. one resourse that had been exceptionally useful is the powerstroke group on yahoo. the chap who runs this list is extemely informative and has his own web site for the ps diesels.....includes all the tsb, service guides and lots of other goodies. i thinks its called diesel dogs but once you're a member of the ps group on yahoo you'll get all the other details too.

now you're towin' with the big boys!
cheers
2air'
Old 09-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Fyi

The '05 F-250 has had many upgrades from the '04 model year. Some of them included upgrades to the transmission and tow-haul features and OEM trailer brake controler. There was also a lite re-redesign. There are some others to the diesel as well. I purchased an '05 F-250 super crew with power stroke diesel in April and have been very please with it.

Since Ford decided to cancel the Excursion due to lagging sales, they didn't want to invest in any upgrades for this vehicle. However, they desided they could make the cosmetic changes at a minimal cost and extend the model for one additional year. Basically, the only changes for '05 for the Excursion were cosmetic to match the look of the updated F-250. In other words they could get one more year for almost free. With current fuel cost, it is almost a sure thing they won't extend the model for another year. So the suspension, etc., are the same as the '04.

The '06 F-250 will be the final year for the current F-250 incarnation before it receives a ground-up redesign incorporating the aforementioned upgrades as well as some new ones. The new incarnation is supposed to have more of the current F-150 look. I don't like the boxiness of the current F-150 so I didn't care to wait for the new model in '07. I was also able to get a really good deal (virtually as good as the employee pricing) on the exact color and equipment combination that I wanted.

The current Explorer/Expedition model is due to be replaced/redesigned in '07 or '08. Ford is keeping mum, but their venders are wispering about a near future extra large SUV to compete with the Suburban that would be more of an extension of the Explorer/Expedition line. If you notice the current line looks so much alike that from a distance they are indistinguishable (at least to me) unless there is some scale of reference. The venders are calling this extra large SUV the "Expedition Max" until an official name is given. If these rumors are correct, I would expect the relationship between the Expedition and "Expedition Max" to be similar to the Taho and Suburban.

In the past, Ford has offered the Expedition with a diesel engine. So they might offer it again when the Excursion is gone. Ford has given the Explorer a facelift for '06. In the past, the Expedition has followed by one or two years. So we may see a diesel Expedition in '07-'08 or we may see this "Expedition Max" with a diesel in '08-'09.

Having said all of that, I would have given serious consideration to an Excursion if my wife didn't have an Expedition. We just don't need two full-sized SUV's and unfortunately her Expedition has the 5.0 L and not enough towing capacity for a larger Airstream and it was my turn for a new vehicle.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The '05 F-250 has had many upgrades from the '04 model year. Some of them included upgrades to the transmission and tow-haul features and OEM trailer brake controler. There was also a lite re-redesign. There are some others to the diesel as well. I purchased an '05 F-250 super crew with power stroke diesel in April and have been very please with it.

Since Ford decided to cancel the Excursion due to lagging sales, they didn't want to invest in any upgrades for this vehicle. However, they desided they could make the cosmetic changes at a minimal cost and extend the model for one additional year. Basically, the only changes for '05 for the Excursion were cosmetic to match the look of the updated F-250. In other words they could get one more year for almost free. With current fuel cost, it is almost a sure thing they won't extend the model for another year. So the suspension, etc., are the same as the '04.

The '06 F-250 will be the final year for the current F-250 incarnation before it receives a ground-up redesign incorporating the aforementioned upgrades as well as some new ones. The new incarnation is supposed to have more of the current F-150 look. I don't like the boxiness of the current F-150 so I didn't care to wait for the new model in '07. I was also able to get a really good deal (virtually as good as the employee pricing) on the exact color and equipment combination that I wanted.

The current Explorer/Expedition model is due to be replaced/redesigned in '07 or '08. Ford is keeping mum, but their venders are wispering about a near future extra large SUV to compete with the Suburban that would be more of an extension of the Explorer/Expedition line. If you notice the current line looks so much alike that from a distance they are indistinguishable (at least to me) unless there is some scale of reference. The venders are calling this extra large SUV the "Expedition Max" until an official name is given. If these rumors are correct, I would expect the relationship between the Expedition and "Expedition Max" to be similar to the Taho and Suburban.

In the past, Ford has offered the Expedition with a diesel engine. So they might offer it again when the Excursion is gone. Ford has given the Explorer a facelift for '06. In the past, the Expedition has followed by one or two years. So we may see a diesel Expedition in '07-'08 or we may see this "Expedition Max" with a diesel in '08-'09.

Having said all of that, I would have given serious consideration to an Excursion if my wife didn't have an Expedition. We just don't need two full-sized SUV's and unfortunately her Expedition has the 5.0 L and not enough towing capacity for a larger Airstream and it was my turn for a new vehicle.
Came across this on MSNcars today:
"Ford [also] is increasing the Expedition lineup with a new Expedition EL. Almost 15 inches longer than a standard Expedition, the new EL adds 24 cubic feet of cargo capacity behind the third-row seat. This makes the Expedition almost as large as the outgoing Excursion. The new Expedition will go on sale this fall."
Looks like that Expedition "Max" might be coming to a showroom near you this fall.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote