Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Another option if you liked your old F150 is to get a HDPP/ Max Tow version. I just bought 1 that is just shy of 2500 payload. They're hard trucks to find but I lucked out and they had what I wanted and even had the right color at my usual dealership. Only problem with hdpp pckg is you're limited in options. This said you can still get a basic Lariat.
sinfulpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulpride View Post
Another option if you liked your old F150 is to get a HDPP/ Max Tow version. I just bought 1 that is just shy of 2500 payload. They're hard trucks to find but I lucked out and they had what I wanted and even had the right color at my usual dealership. Only problem with hdpp pckg is you're limited in options. This said you can still get a basic Lariat.
Thatís what Iím going for in my next F150. F250ís are just too big to deal with. Whatís the specs on yours? Iíll probably have to order it when I get one. You are right they are hard to find.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulpride View Post

As of MY2019 the highest level trim you can get in an HDPP F-150 is XLT. I was very interested in a 150 HDPP but did not want the cloth seats.

Maybe in MY2020 theyíve gone back to Lariat as the ceiling for HDPP on a 150?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:16 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
As of MY2019 the highest level trim you can get in an HDPP F-150 is XLT. I was very interested in a 150 HDPP but did not want the cloth seats.

Maybe in MY2020 theyíve gone back to Lariat as the ceiling for HDPP on a 150?
If you build and price on the Ford website....you can get a lariat 501 pckg ....at least here in Canada
Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Acton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Thatís what Iím going for in my next F150. F250ís are just too big to deal with. Whatís the specs on yours? Iíll probably have to order it when I get one. You are right they are hard to find.
Mine is an xlt 301 crew cab with a 6.5 box....3.5 ecoboost/4x4/max tow/hdpp/nav/tailgate step
Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Salisbury , Maryland
I sold Medium & Heavy Duty trucks for about 10 years. Mostly Internationals. We did all of our engineering with a pencil and paper. Payload is the most important thing to worry about. If your Payload is 1600 lbs.. That takes into play your personal weight, dates weight, fuel @ say 8lbs a gallon. Truck shell if you have one. Gear... and most of all the tongue weight of your trailer..

200lbs Man
125lbs Woman
160lbs of fuel
200 lbs truck shell
500 lbs of gear
___
1185 lbs before you add tongue weight
Thonevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Cypress , Texas
Is fuel considered part of the payload? I didnít think it was.
olgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Bellaire , Texas
I have a 2015 F-150 Platinum and tow a 26 rear twin bed with lots of outside storage. I was worried about the weight and payload. I donít think the Ford salesman knew anything about towing. However, I have a lifetime of towing campers. This is my biggest yet. my first AS was a 20 FC. I used an equalizer hitch. the AS dealer that installed the wd hitch for my new one put a lousy WD hitch on and it did not work. Rough ride, truck nose up in the air, AS nose down. Not good. I took it to a big rv seller that is well know for their consignment business. ďWe install Equalizer hitches every day.Ē They took the lousy one off and mis-installed the new equalizer. I decided I would learn how to do it. Everything is great. Truck and AS perfectly level. Weight distribution engaged. Now I am in the tweaking stage. I was keeping all my tools in the back storage of the AS and I am goi g to take them out and put them in the back of the truck to see the difference.
morrismaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #29

2015 28' International
Aurora , CO
did same. F150 super crew, 6'6" bed v8 and just over 2500 payload. Just finished a 1500 mile trip with 28RBQ - no issues - smooth sailing
peterb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Dike , IA
I would think a gasser would be more than enough you would ever need to pull, not to mention much lower cost of ownership for the typical rv'er. My 2018 lariat f250 is pretty loaded and has a payload of 3116. It handles the 34', 8400# box with ease.
I also went from a 2016 f150 max tow package, 1760 payload. EcoBoost had plenty of power, but would really push the setup around. I also have the ProPride hitch which makes a big difference too.

Thee 1 ton guys can chime in, but there can also be different licencing and requirements depending on your state.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_151132534_HDR.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	380.5 KB
ID:	346550  
ISUboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Don't blame the help. Stealerships train sales staff to follow scripts. Scripts designed to make a sale. Few care about product knowledge. Our Capitol Cadillac dealer in Greenbelt Maryland was exceptional in that regard. Of course, that was a long time ago. Who knows how it is today.

I can say that the Colorado Springs dealership was not in the same ballpark.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clive , Iowa
Talking Pro Pride Stinger Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Yeah, I have to say when I bought my 2500 from Lee Chevrolet in Washington, NC they did a very thorough job. They have a tech dedicated to going over every bit of the electronic stuff and will setup the radio, ONSTAR, etc, if you wish. The older sales guy did a good job of covering all of the mechanical stuff, including payload and axle ratings. I was a little impatient by the time they were done, but the only thing they did not cover was how to adjust my Propride for the new truck vs my previous 1500.

Larry
The Pro Pride website, or your manual does a great job telling you how to setup the ďstingerĒ for a different height .
jpaine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MileHi View Post
Don't blame the help. Stealerships train sales staff to follow scripts. Scripts designed to make a sale. Few care about product knowledge
So true. I used to sell construction machinery. We attended factory training centered around product knowledge, not the current sales techniques. We were the main contact with our customers and were involved with parts and service during their ownership. Building relationships with our customers was important. We could make deals, evaluate and value trades, and consumate the sale without having to check with the sales manager. We sold value to the customer, not their emotional needs. Most car dealerships think nothing about any of that, and most of the sales people are not around long enough to get anywhere near that level of service. The so called sales managers hide in offices and don't deal with people. They are less interested in selling you what you need, and more interested in meeting quotas.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote