Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2024, 06:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 28' International
Sierra Madre , California
Cummins service at dealer

Question to all Ram Cummins owners.

What do you pay at the dealer for Oil and filter change, fuel filters (2) changed and tire rotation?

Our new 2500 was just at the dealer for its 10,000 mile service for the above items and the bill was $730.00 and that included $125 of discounts. That just seems a bit much. My wife drives a big Mercedes sedan and if i remember the oil change on her car at the dealer is less $.

And yes, we live in California where everything is more costly.

I know that there are other options that are less money.

Would like to hear of your experience.

John
H.P. Inxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Following
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Stealer rhymes with dealer.

Lube and rotation, literally go anywhere else. The bulk of your bill, I bet was the fuel filters. The dealer up charges those crazy high.

I handle my own, but would probably go to Les Schwabs if I didn’t.

Also, the OEM filters are branded Mopar, but they are made by Fleetgaurd and the Fleetgaurd are less expensive. Find a shop that will use what you bring them or at least aren’t up charging you for the filters. For a while, Ram had a deal with Fleetgaurd (owned by Cummins) to only make the frame fuel filter available through the dealer, so I have been using a Baldwin.

Use Fleetgaurd for all (except the before mentioned frame fuel) of your filters. Buy online or at a truck shop. Especially use Fleetgaurd for your Air filter, because it is less likely to trip the “can’t communicate with turbo” code. Keep up on the air filters and it is crazy easy to do yourself. I get not wanting to drop 3gal of motor oil and deal with it, but with just a bit of YouTube and a few tools, air and fuel filters (engine bay and frame) are really straight forward.

Coming up soon will be the CV filter; it will ignite the check engine light at 60k. From what I heard the dealer really gets you on that one because they often insist on an EGR cleaning too. Nowhere in the manual does it say that the EGR needs cleaned on the newest Cummins.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
My dealer in York, PA charges as follows:

The last fuel filter change, including the two filters was $401.

Tire rotation was $21

Engine oil and filter change was $178

So the total was $600.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Inxs View Post

What do you pay at the dealer for Oil and filter change, fuel filters (2) changed and tire rotation?

Our new 2500 was just at the dealer for its 10,000 mile service for the above items and the bill was $730.00 and that included $125 of discounts. That just seems a bit much. My wife drives a big Mercedes sedan and if i remember the oil change on her car at the dealer is less $.

John
Theres no way to answer this without upsetting moderators. Sorry, I can't help you.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Inxs View Post

John
My dealer charges between $450 and $600 CDN for the above, in Vancouver.

I recently priced out oil and fuel filter changes only, the dealer was going to charge $70 labor for the oil change, and $70 labor for the fuel filter change.

They quoted $180 for the oil, $8 for the oil filter, then over $200 for the pair of fuel filters. The fuel filter price was the only thing that was outlandish IMO.

I couldn't get booked in before our next long trip so I ended up doing it myself. Tires probably need rotation but I'm going to end up getting new ones this year anyway.
jlydell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 03:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Salt Lake City , UT
Same rig, end up with annual changes - by time, not miles.

$390 in 2022
$450 in 2023

no dealer specials

not counting the 4 or so recalls (all covered $) in past couple years - spend a lot more time at the Ram dealership than the Toyota dealership with the Tacoma.

This in Salt Lake City, UT metro area

Phil
PhilRV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Absolutely ridiculous prices to change the fuel filter. I had my dealer quote me, back when my rig was still relatively new, and their prices were just as bad.

Little you tube and no more five tools to change those filters. Also, donít buy them from the dealer, there is a huge markup on them.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Moreland , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiss View Post
Stealer rhymes with dealer.

Lube and rotation, literally go anywhere else. The bulk of your bill, I bet was the fuel filters. The dealer up charges those crazy high.

I handle my own, but would probably go to Les Schwabs if I didn’t.

Also, the OEM filters are branded Mopar, but they are made by Fleetgaurd and the Fleetgaurd are less expensive. Find a shop that will use what you bring them or at least aren’t up charging you for the filters. For a while, Ram had a deal with Fleetgaurd (owned by Cummins) to only make the frame fuel filter available through the dealer, so I have been using a Baldwin.

Use Fleetgaurd for all (except the before mentioned frame fuel) of your filters. Buy online or at a truck shop. Especially use Fleetgaurd for your Air filter, because it is less likely to trip the “can’t communicate with turbo” code. Keep up on the air filters and it is crazy easy to do yourself. I get not wanting to drop 3gal of motor oil and deal with it, but with just a bit of YouTube and a few tools, air and fuel filters (engine bay and frame) are really straight forward.

Coming up soon will be the CV filter; it will ignite the check engine light at 60k. From what I heard the dealer really gets you on that one because they often insist on an EGR cleaning too. Nowhere in the manual does it say that the EGR needs cleaned on the newest Cummins.
Cummins spun off the filtration division into Atmus Filtration and did a Cummins to Atmus stock swap for anyone who wanted to. Atmus then did a IPO and now Atmus is a totally separate company no longer controlled by Cummins and Cummins is out of the filter business. I assume that for the time being, Cummins will continue to get their filters from Atmus, but that may change in the future.

I use a Baldwin fuel filter on my 5.9L because it has a lower micron rating, and have been using NAPA Platinum oil filters made by WIX but NAPA has gone to other suppliers so I suppose it will be the Cummins Stratopore or Baldwin (owned by Parker Hannifin) for the oil filter now.

Charles
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
When shopping for a fuel filter you can't go just by the micron rating. Every filter element will catch a certain amount of 3 micron particles. No filter will catch all 3 micron particles. The important question is, how many 3 micron particles can a 3 micron filter catch? For that you have to refer to the filter's beta ratio. A cheap 3 micron element with a beta ratio of 2 will catch only 50% of the 3 micron particles, while a beta 200 element will catch 99.5%. Now here's the bad news: filter manufacturers don't typically advertise their beta ratings. That leaves you stuck relying on the manufacturer's reputation for what
is a good filter element.

Don't cheap out on your diesel fuel filter. The fuel pump produces over 30,000 PSI and it requires extremely fine filtration, far finer than traditional fuel or oil filters. I get mine from Mopar or Fleetguard. Note that there are a lot of counterfeits out there so be careful of online retailers.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
I order all filters and parts from Geno's Garage. They offer both Mopar and Fleetguard and their pricing is much better than the dealership, check them out.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
Quick change

Local oil change shop, $200, oil, fuel and air filter.