Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 28' International
Wilmington , North Carolina
Cruise Control - yeah or neah?

Greetings - newbie here so please don't shoot me.
We have a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi towing a 2019 25 FC FBT. Obviously traffic, weather and road conditions aside, but when the opportunity presents itself, do y'all recommend staying away from the cruise control or is the prevailing thought Sure, when the time is right I use my Cruise Control?
etojeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Cruise control makes pulling the trailer much easier on the driver during long trips. Use common sense, and if concerned about any road conditions turn it off. I use mine all the time when it is safe to do so. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We use Cruise control when ever we can.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
When cruise control is used driving solo it often leads to a casual driving style. When towing, that is not acceptable. The driving approach must be focused, active, and attentive. The cruise control must be used as an electronic throttle, controlled by hand and as active/effective as if the throttle was foot controlled.

We use the cruise control. It has the added value of automatic braking when engaged. It is necessary for the driver to out think the cruise program but the system is quite helpful.

However, do not feel it is a requirement to use cruise control. For many, active throttle control keeps the mind engaged and focused. Not a bad way to up your attentiveness driving style.

Drive safe, rest when needed and do not take chances or push to maintain a tight schedule. Enjoy your adventure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Biglerville , Pennsylvania
Cruise Control +1

When the road and conditions permit I engage the cruise on my 15 F-150 - I would caution you only if conditions deteriorate or traffic dictates hands on control.
Dad250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yes...whenever possible, towing or not.
If you are a safe driver and conditions allow, CC makes extended trips much less stressful.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Cruise control makes pulling the trailer much easier on the driver during long trips. Use common sense, and if concerned about any road conditions turn it off. I use mine all the time when it is safe to do so. Chris

+1. Nailed it!
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Granted pulling with a 15 year old GMC van is not the state of the art with the modern transmissions and electronics but one I have learned is that the cruse control in my vehicle is missing one big feature. It's called anticipation. It's the ability to notice what's ahead albeit it traffic or road conditions. And when you are doing 60 mph, pulling an 8,600 lb load, you can travel a lot of distance with cruse control prior to you being able to disengage either manually with a control or the brake pedal. The ability of me being instantly able to adjust my speed is important and has kept me out of a lot of bad situations over the years.

Yes I may use it for a minute or so when I need to get rid of a foot cramp or some other short term issue, but I really do want to have total control of my tow vehicle all of the time, and have the ability to quickly make adjustments to speed, up or down as the situation demands. That foot in a relaxed position when in cruse control has to be lifted, positioned to the proper pedal and depressed, maybe taking only seconds, but still slower than being on the accelerator and instantly releasing it and pivoting to the brake if you need braking action.

I like Pat's comment above regarding focused, active, and attentive. I honestly believe that I'm a better safer driver in that mode. Maybe I gain a little more stress in that mode, but that's also why I limit the distance I drive in a day....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Check the manual

We tow with a Dodge Durango. The Durango manual explicitly states that you should NOT USE CRUISE CONTROL while towing. So we don't.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
LEES SUMMIT , Missouri
I have the same truck albeit one year older--2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi (towing a 2019 30' Classic)--and just returned from my second 5,000+ mile trip. I think the cruise control built into that truck is really good especially going down steep hills. When going downhill, I set the cruise control for 5 mph slower than I feel comfortable traveling and the truck will downshift automatically to prevent the truck from going more than 5 mph over my set speed. Because using cruise control makes driving less tiring, I am a big cheerleader for cruise control, but I never use cruise control in heavy traffic, while driving at night (I also try to avoid driving after the sun goes down), and while driving in posted wildlife crossing areas.
dechampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #11
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
It’s a real treat to use CC in my 2017 F150 with the ten speed...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Older truck with 4 speed. I use the cruise on level ground. Like using it. But in hilly country or when traveling fast the truck responds too aggressively with the cruise and hard shifts. I use the cancel and resume buttons or just drive without the cruise.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
yes when ever possible ...last time I towed up southern I-15 i loved it as I was the one of the slowest and the cruise could stay on for long periods. I set it at about 65mph..... That is a very fast highway and a lot of trailers are being towed vveerry fast!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Like others said use it when it make sense as it will make your driving easier. What I do like about it is that it keeps us at a steady pace on the highway. When I have not used it I have found myself driving at over 70 miles an hour and IMO that is to fast pulling a trailer.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by etojeo View Post
Greetings - newbie here so please don't shoot me.
We have a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi towing a 2019 25 FC FBT. Obviously traffic, weather and road conditions aside, but when the opportunity presents itself, do y'all recommend staying away from the cruise control or is the prevailing thought Sure, when the time is right I use my Cruise Control?
It depends. I like cruise control on moderately level ground. Once I get into the hills, the cruise control tries to maintain exactly the set speed, so it downshifts and takes the revs too high for my taste. Especially in "Tow/Haul" mode where the shift points are already raised.
When it has trouble keeping up, I go manual and let my speed drop going up hills and restore on the downside. It's all about momentum.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
We use Cruise control when ever we can.
I concur. No problems especially if you have a FORD
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
-- snip --let my speed drop going up hills and restore on the downside. It's all about momentum.
MD - have you tried staying ahead of the little CC brain by dropping the speed setting as you climb? Not sure how slowing keeps the momentum bank full though.

We actually find the CC to be very smooth and predictable in keeping the momentum consistent, except for one issue. Our CC has an auto braking function. So as we approach a slow moving truck, we must pull out and pass or get slowed to the speed of the truck. Talk about losing momentum. Again, you have to out think the CC brain. It's part of staying attentive and in control. You may find it easier to do as MD practices. Manual driving is comfortable, because you are used to it. That may be more convenient/consistent than out thinking the CC brain.

On the down side - you need to drop out of cruise control if the system is one that includes braking to control going faster than the set speed. Constantly riding the brakes by way of the cruise control is as bad as doing it manually. Brake, release to cool, and repeat.

So as MD says, it depends. Flat land, Rolling hills, long down hill, mountain Tain grades and down slopes all require the correct approach and best is what you do best. Understand your CC brain and what you do best to stay attentive. Most important, stay safe and enjoy the adventure. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
As some of us still say, you gotta be smarter than the gadgetry to stay safe.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Always.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
sussex , New Jersey
I use cruise a lot when towing. I find I can concentrate more on my surroundings than stressing on my speed by having to keep looking at the speedo
bmark is offline   Reply With Quote