Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Xxxxxxxx , Xxxxxxxxxxx
Coyote 5.0 class action

On Jan 8 there was a class action started against Ford for excessive oil use on the 5.0 liter coyote motor for 2018-2020. Any one here have such problems? How do you like your late model 5.0 f150?
Roll me away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll me away View Post
On Jan 8 there was a class action started against Ford for excessive oil use on the 5.0 liter coyote motor for 2018-2020. Any one here have such problems? How do you like your late model 5.0 f150?
I personally don't with my 2015 but have seen the horror stories on the f150 forums. Ford decided to switch to a coating for the cylinder walls instead of sleeve-ing the motor which is causing all the issues.

Generally people who drove the piss out of their trucks/mustangs right off the lot were able to avoid consumption issues with their motor. Switching to a heavier weight oil has also been proven to help.

I like mine... now it's getting to the age however where little stuff is starting to act up. On the driver's mirror - the memory and defroster don't work anymore. The sunroof has finally broke which is common on these trucks. Luckily it's closed. Still can open the rear to vent. The mesh is also molded due to how it's designed. After it rains I get a nice musty smell in the truck. I know it's the mesh because I pour bleach in there and the smell goes away. No leaks with the truck itself. My auto-highbeams and lane-keep have stopped working as well. Too lazy to go get them "calibrated" at a dealer after having the windshield replaced. Oh and the drains in the doors like to get clogged. I had one fill up with water. Pretty wild how heavy it got.

Keep in mind this is a truck with 110k miles on it now. Mechanically it has been a stout truck and has never left me stranded or given me a big repair bill. It's all of the luxury creature comfort stuff that is causing issues.