Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
Classic truck for a classic trailer

Got a new truck to take over towing our 1975 Argosy 24. We have been working like crazy on our 1969 Dodge D300 flatbed. It's a cab and chassis dually with a 12ft flatbed, 318 2bbl, 4spd with 4.11 gears. It's a bit of a rescue, so I have been going through the entire truck fixing pretty much everything. It's got a 10000lb GVW, and we're getting custom ramps made to haul our '68 Baja bug. I have weighed the truck and have over 4000lbs of capacity. I'm going to weigh everything as it starts coming together. Today I am setting the hitch up for our first tow tomorrow. It's all going to roll to International this fall. Lots cheaper than a new truck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240412_181828.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	442690   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240221_085339.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	390.6 KB
ID:	442691  

JCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Oregon
Very cool ! Hats off to those doing the vintage thing, in my experience it's a lot more fun but it aint cheaper
2link2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:18 AM   #3
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Nice, very cool. And yes, hats off to you!
Old 04-14-2024, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I love it! Another benefit: you won’t have people hassling you about payload….. but you might get questions about parking it in town.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2link2 View Post
Very cool ! Hats off to those doing the vintage thing, in my experience it's a lot more fun but it aint cheaper
It's cheaper if you do the work yourself. I can build at least two trucks for the price of an eighty to ninety thousand dollar new truck. This one is lots easier to work on too!
Old 04-14-2024, 03:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
I love it! Another benefit: you won’t have people hassling you about payload….. but you might get questions about parking it in town.
I don't know, my trailer is bigger than a Bambi, which we all know requires a one ton to tow it (I'm joking, but the tow rig threads always seem to turn that direction), so I might need to step up to a ton and a half just to be safe!
It's already hard at gas stations with just the new truck, gonna be worse with the trailer and bug. Draws some attention for some reason.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Southern , California
What rpms/mpg you getting with those 4:11s? I just got a 1999 Dodge 5.9l Turbodiesel 5 speed manual and it has 4:10s going to get it changed to 3:54s.
Im2bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:05 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
I just installed working guages yesterday, but on my drive afterwards I was running 60mph at 3000 rpms. The truck is supposed to have 4.88s, so it's a win.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Ancient City , Florida
Proportions are just off Gonna need a bob and wheelbase reduction or a bigger trailer, lol.

Nice rides! If I can get my old girl finished, I would love to pull a classic around the west! At 45mph
G8trwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
First tow today! Went to the scales, the Argosy added 1300 lbs to the rear axle! No weight distribution, nor will I add it with this stiff of a truck. Probably going to have to get some sort of suspension hitch as the truck has no factory rear shocks (optional in 69 D300s) and the ride with the trailer is even worse than without. We'll see what it's like when the car gets loaded too. But so far so good (the brakes are awful but it stops), did 60mph with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240415_121738.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	442742  
Old 04-21-2024, 10:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRC View Post
First tow today! Went to the scales, the Argosy added 1300 lbs to the rear axle! No weight distribution, nor will I add it with this stiff of a truck. Probably going to have to get some sort of suspension hitch as the truck has no factory rear shocks (optional in 69 D300s) and the ride with the trailer is even worse than without. We'll see what it's like when the car gets loaded too. But so far so good (the brakes are awful but it stops), did 60mph with no issues.

You might want to carry a Toad!!!!!

I agree you probably will want to go with a suspension hitch to soften that ride
Keeping trailer tires as low as reasonable willhelp the shock through the trailer frame.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
I will be carrying our '60 VW Baja as soon as the ramps are done. Hopefully that will soften the ride a bit. I did put in an original bench seat, which is an integral part of the suspension in these old trucks. And I run trailer tire pressures according to axle weight requirements. And that's all I will say about tires on this forum!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Classic set up. Very nice work!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:21 AM   #14
Man of means by no means

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Midland , Georgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRC View Post
.... And that's all I will say about tires on this forum!

oh, and nice job on the set up too!
Old 04-22-2024, 09:30 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Belfair , Washington
You have a great rig there! I've been hauling Airstreams professionally with my 1st and 3rd Gen Dodges with great success since the early 2000's. Your issue with braking is concerning however. If your truck has issues now without your VW loaded, then you're looking at trouble when fully loaded with Argosy, VW and gear. The following suggestions would help ensure you have a fun and safe towing experience with your vintage Dodge. First, I hope you're running trailer brakes on the Argosy. Next, a brake system upgrade to Hydroboost would greatly benefit such a large truck. Lastly if possible and affordable, a rear disc brake conversion to complement the hydroboost braking power would make an enormous improvement to your brakes, on par with the newest trucks. Your suspension issues could be solved with Air ride on the rear axle. A worthy investment for such a cool HD tow vehicle such as yours!!
SSTransportr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 12:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westcliffe , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTransportr View Post
You have a great rig there! I've been hauling Airstreams professionally with my 1st and 3rd Gen Dodges with great success since the early 2000's. Your issue with braking is concerning however. If your truck has issues now without your VW loaded, then you're looking at trouble when fully loaded with Argosy, VW and gear. The following suggestions would help ensure you have a fun and safe towing experience with your vintage Dodge. First, I hope you're running trailer brakes on the Argosy. Next, a brake system upgrade to Hydroboost would greatly benefit such a large truck. Lastly if possible and affordable, a rear disc brake conversion to complement the hydroboost braking power would make an enormous improvement to your brakes, on par with the newest trucks. Your suspension issues could be solved with Air ride on the rear axle. A worthy investment for such a cool HD tow vehicle such as yours!!
The brakes are still just the original drums. I have a front disc conversion on order, and will see then if I need to go with a rear kit too. Trailer brakes are working fine, it's stopping better today after I adjusted all the brakes on the truck. Probably not going to haul the bug until the brakes and clutch are done. Air ride is in my future, but for now I think a Gen Y hitch is my next investment. It's all a learning process. We've towed this trailer across the country multiple times with our 2016 Ram 2500 hemi, but this is a completely different (slower) way to travel!