Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
2007 Sequoia is an excellent choice for that trailer.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
Good morning from AZ, where we are waiting on snow.

I am not going to try to sell you on my tow package because the tow vehicle is personal to you. What type of drive do you like, how many people in the car, how much your tow vehicle will need to hold and how much is the tongue weight on it... I can continue on and on as I spent over 6 months trying to figure out this towing stuff!

Here are the basics:

#1: What is the weight of the Bambi?
#2: What is the tongue weight of the Bambi?
#3: What is the carrying capacity of the Bambi?

Write those down and they are your base facts. People will talk about fudging and stuff. But these are factual numbers about what your Trailer is rated at

Now look at your potential Tow Vehicle:

#1: What is the Towing Capacity of your tow vehicle
#2: What is the Tongue/Hitch weight capacity of your tow vehicle
#3: What is the carrying capacity of your tow vehicle

Question 1: Does the weight of your Bambi exceed the towing capacity of your tow vehicle?
Question #2: Does the Tongue weight of your Bambi exceed the Tongue hitch/weight of your tow vehicle?
Question #3: IF you take your Carrying Capacity of your tow vehicle and subtract the tongue weight of your Bambi how much weight does that leave?
Question #4: Based on the answer to Question #3 does that leave enough room in your tow vehicle to carry the people and stuff that you want to carry?
Question #5: How close are you to the limits of your tow vehicle, do you feel safe pushing the limits?

Now people are going to tell you about ways you can exceed and what weight distribution bars and sway control is going to do for you and I was going down that road a lot in the last 6 months. But, the question I kept on coming back to over and over again was safety. This was a personal answer, but I want to share with you: I am responsible for driving 7 tons of vehicle (Combined weight of my Bambi and Tow Vehicle) and I need to do everything in my control to be safe, not for myself or my passengers but the people on the road that I drive with that doesn't deserve to pay for me making unsafe choices.

Enjoy reading about tow vehicles and capacity etc... But please keep in mind safety.

Oh and just breathe through the flame wars that you will have to go through to get the details you need.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 2007 Sequoia still has the antiquated solid axle rear suspension, 109" wheelbase, and high center of gravity. This will require an exceptional hitch setup for stable towing in wind and when semi's pass you on the interstate.

Probably for stability (safety) concerns Toyota moved to the much more stable and safer independent suspension in the 2008 Sequoia. You should too. I think you'll like the engine better as well, as these are pretty heavy vehicles.

Our experience was with a 2006 Tundra and that engine, 140" wheelbase, and a 2012 Ram with 120" wheelbase. Both solid rear axle. We never were able to get a comfortably stable towing experience with either of these until we installed a Hensley/ProPride hitch design which essentially takes wheelbase out of the equation for towing stability in all conditions.

Personally I think the Honda selection is a little better for someone familiar with Honda. But too many on this forum will not allow a discussion to cover all the qualities of travel trailer and tow vehicle and how they may be improved, preferring to begin and end at the factory weight charts and proclaim it safe.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Here at Airforums anything but a mid-engine Porsche Cayman is considered an imminent roll over risk. Endless talk about independent suspension, low center of gravity, and sudden lane change performance. Yet 99% of tow vehicles on the road are tucks with solid axle, high center of gravity, and not-so-great sudden lane change performance. And they seem to be doing just fine. At some point you have to wonder whats real and whats not.

A 2nd gen Sequoia is better than a 1st gen. Yet a 1st gen should be just fine towing a 22 Sport. BTW, the wheelbase is 118" for 1st gen Sequoia and 121 for 2nd gen Sequoia (not 109" as someone suggested).
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I only suggested a second generation Sequoia over a first generation Sequoia for the extra power and slightly larger size for people.
The independent rear suspension may also be nice.
The first generation Sequoia will be fine, too.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
2007 Sequoia is an excellent choice for that trailer.
(Ever seen anyone quote himself before?)

What I REALLY wanted to say was

"NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO!!!!!! Get a SECOND gen Sequoia!!!!!! 2008 or later! It's bigger and way stronger! There are towing features on the 2008 Sequoia that you don't want to miss! Does the 2007 have a tow haul feature? The 2008 has a class IV hitch, and will tow AN-Y-THING made by Airstream. What if you want to upsize your trailer in a couple years? The 2007 might not be strong enough for a larger trailer. Plus the 2008 has a way cooler interior with fold-flat seating from the tailgate to the dashboard (seriously, the interior is aMAZing). And the transmission is way better too. Really, get a newer Sequoia!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

But what would you expect from someone with a signature like mine?

The reason I didn't say all that the first time is because you want the truth.

The truth is that the 2007 is a really excellent truck for that trailer.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Here at Airforums anything but a mid-engine Porsche Cayman is considered an imminent roll over risk. Endless talk about independent suspension, low center of gravity, and sudden lane change performance. Yet 99% of tow vehicles on the road are tucks with solid axle, high center of gravity, and not-so-great sudden lane change performance. And they seem to be doing just fine. At some point you have to wonder whats real and whats not.
I thought the only suitable vehicle on Airforums was a 6.7 Ram.

The real wildcard in the equation is the driver. Sudden lane changes are marks of an amateur. Good drivers plan ahead and don't need to swerve. But it's starting to snow here and the big trucks are starting to roll over, and the fwd cars are starting to spin out and hit the wall every morning. I stay right, let 'em pass, and carry tow straps.

Whatever you drive, keep driver age and reaction time in mind. Sometimes the best thing to do is just go straight.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #48
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Everybody knows that unless you have my exact truck not only are you not going to be happy, but your vehicle will probably spontaneously explode near a bus full of puppies!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not only do they need YOUR exact truck, they better be riding on my exact tires or they will not only take out the puppies but also a bus load of trial lawyers!
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
...and a Hensley/ProPride...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
I agree with the person who posted "less is not more, more is more". I am a relative "newbie" and I speak from experience, I purchased my 2015 28 ft. Flying Cloud with assurance that I would be fine towing it with my 2012 Infiniti QX 56 with a tow rating of 8,900 lbs. I was never comfortable towing with the Infiniti it wasn't the forward motion that bothered me as much as being comfortable stopping with the 7,500 lb trailer in tow. I began researching tow vehicles and was on the "bubble" whether to purchase a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup. I then had to decide whether purchase diesel or gas. I went with a GMC 3/4 ton diesel, did I need that much truck? No, do I regret the decision absolutely not, I now feel comfortable towing. In addition to the comfort factor I can now move up in trailer size without having to purchase a new tow vehicle. You do not need a 3/4 ton truck or a diesel however my advice is to "over kill" it vs just getting what you need. Less is not more, more is more. I'm sure that others will disagree but I am very happy with my decision.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Overkill is fine, if you can afford it. We're stuck with the Tacoma for now, and it does tow our 22' international safely with the ProPride setup. Just have to be patient climbing hills.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:55 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
We have a 2016 22fb Bambi .....tv a 2014 jeep gc Laredo... 6cyl.....6200 lb tow capacity....we traveled 2500 miles through the Appalachains with 6-8 % grades....I agree with the previous grand Cherokee post...we didn't set speed records, But didn't need to....we had the dealer reprogram the trans with lower shift points...gained a bit more tourge and still got 16+ mpg....paddle shifters worked great for downhill grades....combined with electric trailer brakes....equalizer wd hitch ......no problems...great tv..enjoy the ride...keep the speed under 60 mph...be safe....
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
I have a year old 22FB and pull it with an X5. In line 6 cylinder pulls around 5900lbs. I do not even know it is back there!
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote