Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What does the payload sticker show for a late model 2500HD Duramax, crew cab, 4x4, LT or LTX options?

Thanks

Kelvin
On our Sierra Denali HD (3/4 ton) Duramax, crew cab, 4x4, 6 1/2' bed, with 36 gal. gas tank, the cargo capacity is 2294#. The Denali is quite feature-laden, which reduces payload capacity vs. a less-heavily-optioned trim level. And this version having the 36-gal. fuel tank probably eats into cargo capacity as well. I'm thinking the LT or LTX would probably have more payload than 2294#.

After adding all of our cargo needs, which include a 90 lb. aluminum Retrax tonneau cover, Honda i2000 generator, fuel for generator, myself and my wife, our 100# Golden Lab, 2 camp chairs, 2 camp recliners, 1 small camp table, some tools, and AS tongue weight of about 1000 lbs., we're at about 2100 lbs., with almost 200 lbs. available to spare - for perhaps an extra person and/or some more camp gear/stuff. (We plan to add an inflatable kayak as well.)

Cargo capacity can be gobbled up surprisingly quickly when pulling one of the larger size Airstreams and when you add up all the stuff you might want to go in/on the truck bed. And don't forget to add in the weight of the camper shell or tonneau cover, if you want to use one of them. THIS is the reason we went with the 3/4 ton diesel vs. the 1/2 ton gasser.

Nothing wrong with the 1/2 ton gassers (we LOVED the Sierra Denali 1/2 ton) but with the 30' Airstream, we passed the cargo capacity limit on that truck easily.

If we planned to pull nothing larger/heavier than, say, a 25' Airstream, then we would possibly have been well taken care of with a 1/2 ton.

We also appreciate many other features that were part of the 3/4 ton Denali HD, including the awesome lighted towing mirrors (with back up "docking" lights built into the mirrors), exhaust braking, plenty of extra pulling power for mountains, and the 36 gal. fuel tank!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Kelvin
We test drove a Silverado 2500 Duramax LT crew cab. If memory serves, the cargo sticker was over 2500 lbs. I don't know about the fuel tank size.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
My 2015 Silverado 1500 5.3 with max tow package has a payload of 2101 lbs. and can tow 11,100 lbs. More than enough to to my 1971 31ft. Sovereign with a GVW of 7100 lbs.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The GM 2500HD crew cab Duramax seems to be a lighter chassis/engine combo than the F250 6.7L given they both have 10000 GVWR. The Crewcab Lariats and even XLTs are all under 2000lbs and they only have 26g fuel tanks. Only the 6.2L gas is over 2000lbs payload but it does have a 36g fuel tank. Seems strange for the same size F250, Ford can't put a 36 gal fuel tank in the diesel version. Must have to do it to save weight.

Kelvin
Old 07-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have a '15 silverado duramax to pull our 30' Classic. I opted for 2WD instead of 4WD when I ordered the truck. After 25,000 miles I can only say we just love the truck. My wife enjoys driving and towing the Airstream. The power folding mirrors weren't available when I ordered and that's the only thing I wish I had.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Found a couple of advertised 2013 Silver Silverado Duramax. One a LTX crew cab, has Nav, one owner with 75k miles, listed price $43k. The other 2013 Duramax with 44k miles but is the LT $37k but it doesn't have the towing mirrors. Can towing mirrors be added?

Kelvin
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I believe the doors need additional support for the camper mirrors. I would ask a dealer to be sure.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I believe the doors need additional support for the camper mirrors. I would ask a dealer to be sure.
No they don't. It's a straight swap out kit. Won't speak for aftermarket though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What is the approximate cost of OEM 2500HD towing mirrors?

Kelvin
Old 07-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What year, Kelvin?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I perused the parts manual I have, and there are so many choices that you would have to be specific on many trim level and feature items, that I can't say.

All I can see is MSRP and they vary widely....and dealers, especially online rarely are even close to MSRP pricing.

All that said, I'd guess youre in the $500 - 600 range for the pair. Spendy devils!

Old 07-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
No they don't. It's a straight swap out kit. Won't speak for aftermarket though.
I put the big power mirrors on my 2008 - for about $550 in 2009 - probably $650 now. They were heated and the top mirror could be adjusted from inside and the heat feature on the original mirror worked as is, but the bottom mirror (convex) was a manual thing - and they didn't fold in automatically when I bought mine. Installation is extra if you have the dealer do it, but it isn't rocket science. Of course you can negotiate for free installation.

Check e-bay and Amazon for the pricing, or even your local salvage yard.

One warning - watch all the wiring carefully - the inside surfaces of the door are sharp enough to cut you and if you don't route the wiring carefully it can rub and short out and pop a fuse. (guess how I found that one out).

Well I just went to Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to find that they are about $400 per pair (watch out they're priced individually for left/right since apparently people are buying them after a booboo!) AND they now just plug in! Even easier to do. Only electric folding ones I've seen are on Overlander63's RAM. These DO extend and fold flat, but it's manual (Icky when bug covered.)
Old 07-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #54
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I’m looking at the 2015 Siverado 2500HD Crew Cab with the V-8 gasser engine (6.0L)... Have a F150 EcoBoost, really like it but will be going soon to 34’ and need something more substantial. The F150 does great with my 25’ Safari...

So, any words of wisdom, caution, insights on this particular Siverado...?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
My 15 is an LTZ diesel. Love the LTZ package. I did not order navigation. The gas version should be great as well. Very quiet inside compared to the 05 I traded.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The 2013 LTX I've spotted online almost has too many features. Even has a moonroof. What else does a Denali have that an LTX doesn't? I notice some of the 2500HDs I've seen online don't have tow mirrors. I'll be skipping those. GM has a confusing option line up compared to Ford.

Kelvin
Old 07-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
These are the power adjusting and power folding mirrors that came "stock" on the Denali HD. The truck is very well equipped for towing. Duramax w/Allison transmission.

There are two LED "docking" lights (see 2nd and 4th photos) built into the mirrors when backing up a trailer.

When the lights are on, running lights wrap around the front and side of the mirror housing.

LED turn indicator lights are both IN the mirrors and in the wrap-around amber lens area of the mirror housing.

When these turn indicators are on, people WILL notice!

Of the two mirrors in each housing, the upper mirror is for distant viewing and the lower mirror is for seeing what is beside and immediately behind you.

You can program the mirrors to tilt down when in reverse, if you want that feature. Otherwise, they stay put.

These mirrors are the schnitzel@!

Power folded in for parking:

In-mirror turning indicator LED in arrow-shape and two LED "docking" lights

Not-extended

Extended for towing

GMC seems to be selling these as fast as they can make them. Running lights are shown "on".

I'm thinking that the Silverado 2500 must also offer these mirrors on some version or other. Chevy and GMC trucks are pretty close to identical twins, though the Denali does kick things up a notch over the top of the line Silverado version. We love them!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Anyone looking at the 2500 chevy/gmc needs to be mindful of a few things

Reluctantly, I agreed to test drive a black, brand new, shiny Denali 2500 HD Duramax this past Friday. There were so many options on the window sticker they had to type them on both sides. You read most the crap from outside the truck, then have to open passenger door so you can read the rest from inside.

Really wish I had not bothered. You ride down the road and it's like being in a locked air tight chamber. Hardly any noise. It's odd, I will say that. To less intellagent country folk in my area, I dare say it might be confusing, scary perhaps. Like Roswell. Elvis's empty grave. Suspension bridges. That marshmallow in a jar stuff. Not sure how many have exploded over campfires. Non-alcoholic beer. Etc.

There may be a powerful engine up front, might be a battery pack, not sure. It looked like a big powerful truck, but I feel like I'm riding around some swanky $200/round golf course in an electric golf cart in Pinehurst on smooth perfect concrete paths. Where's the beer girl?

Hell, I'm cultured by comparison to my redneck lineage (means I can type and travel a lot, otherwise no differences) and I rolled the auto driver door window up and down three times. Yep, salesman looked like I was eating crickets. Saw the glass moving, but no sounds. Almost like I rolled windows up and down after having fired my 50 BMG rifle. It's for black choppers circling the house. No sound with windows. It's just weird any way you cut it.

This is not how trucks are supposed to be. My grandpa had duct tape seats. You just can't buy seats that durable on these new trucks. Nor can you slide in and out as easily on this unusually high quality leather Denali seats. He could fix anything on his old Chevy. Almost like he hoped the damn thing would break down just so he could prove his Shadetree skills off. By comparison this Denali has sensors that monitor sensors. The back up system, surely has two back up systems. I'm sure.

Then the meager 397 HP Duramax. What the hell were they thinking?? Geesh. Just do something, anything, throw a small can of octane booster in during dyno testing, GET IT TO 400!!!!

No way I'm buying this pile of GMC ^]!\>\<\<. It's way too nice for me. Tongue in cheek, surely. This was the nicest truck I've ever seen. Absolutely floored me. I wasn't prepared to be impressed like that. Would never have pictured myself in a Denali anything. Till now.

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #59
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I notice some of the 2500HDs I've seen online don't have tow mirrors. I'll be skipping those. GM has a confusing option line up compared to Ford. Kelvin

I’m looking at the LT and it does have tow mirrors, comes with their tow package. And yes indeed, GM certainly has a option list that IS confusing. What’s irritating (as with all cars), is often times, just to get the one option you want, you have to get a “package” that includes all sorts of useless attachments...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
These are the power adjusting and power folding mirrors that came "stock" on the Denali HD. The truck is very well equipped for towing. Duramax w/Allison transmission.

There are two LED "docking" lights (see 2nd and 4th photos) built into the mirrors when backing up a trailer.

When the lights are on, running lights wrap around the front and side of the mirror housing.

LED turn indicator lights are both IN the mirrors and in the wrap-around amber lens area of the mirror housing.

When these turn indicators are on, people WILL notice!

Of the two mirrors in each housing, the upper mirror is for distant viewing and the lower mirror is for seeing what is beside and immediately behind you.

You can program the mirrors to tilt down when in reverse, if you want that feature. Otherwise, they stay put.

These mirrors are the schnitzel@!

Power folded in for parking:

In-mirror turning indicator LED in arrow-shape and two LED "docking" lights

Not-extended

Extended for towing

GMC seems to be selling these as fast as they can make them. Running lights are shown "on".

I'm thinking that the Silverado 2500 must also offer these mirrors on some version or other. Chevy and GMC trucks are pretty close to identical twins, though the Denali does kick things up a notch over the top of the line Silverado version. We love them!
I wonder if older Denali have those mirrors say around 2011.

Did the Duramax engine have a significant engine/transmission change in 2011?

I know Ford changed their diesels for 2011 model year. I won't bother to look at pre 2011 Ford diesels.

Kelvin