Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Seems no one has one yet.

Would someone mind going out and buy one so we (me) could get an honest opinion?
OK, I ordered one. I have a 27’ I rarely use. Plan to commute in this truck, about 80 miles round trip per day, and camp occasionally, nothing crazy. I should have it in about a month.

One question: does the tow package include towing mirrors?

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #22
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
The tow package on the GM 1500s does not include towing mirrors, they are an option that must be ordered.
My Denali pulls my AS 25 International RB with ease. The FB may be an issue due to a higher tongue weight. My axles with full fresh H2O, gas, most of the gear sans food and a few items on a Certified scale were: Steer Axle - 3180, Drive Axle - 3400, TRL Axle - 5960, Gross Wt. 12540. Max Axle loads - 3800 both, TRL 7,300 GVWR. My Sierra Denali Carbon Pro can tow up to 9,000 with a GCWR of 15,000. Hope that I am golden! Cheers, J
Maxine-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
The girlfriend of one of my work mates just got here 3.0L I-6 GMC Diesel. I had a chance to look under the hood. Clearly GM has taking a page out of Cummins (I-6) design philosophy. My workmate said they got 34 MPG (non-towing) on a recent 280 mile round trip on flat FL roads. The under hood engine layout (at a quick glance) is a lot more mechanic friendly than the V configured diesels.
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #24
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
2020 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali Carbon Pro Durmax - Snug Top Canopy Fitted

My Carbon Pro Bed now had a Snug Top Canopy thanks to their Dealer in Milton. They used the bed's tie downs to attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012963 (1).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	384580   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1012964.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	384581  

Old 12-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Houston , TX
For anyone considering purchasing a Silverado/Sierra (regardless of engine choice) be mindful of what options are important to you. I have the standard tiny side mirrors and want to upgrade to the towing mirrors. Well, I'm finding out it's a royal PIA and they're very expensive. There's just so many options these trucks have that the tow mirrors aren't as simple as plug-and-go unless you're "lucky" enough to have zero options (manual fold, no side alert, no task lighting, etc).

If you want tow mirrors, make sure (1) you order them with it, (2) they're already installed, or (3) you have the dealership install them and make sure they're in full working order.

I don't know why GM has made it so difficult, it should be easier.
Duramax3oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:19 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax3oh View Post
For anyone considering purchasing a Silverado/Sierra (regardless of engine choice) be mindful of what options are important to you. I have the standard tiny side mirrors and want to upgrade to the towing mirrors. Well, I'm finding out it's a royal PIA and they're very expensive. There's just so many options these trucks have that the tow mirrors aren't as simple as plug-and-go unless you're "lucky" enough to have zero options (manual fold, no side alert, no task lighting, etc).

If you want tow mirrors, make sure (1) you order them with it, (2) they're already installed, or (3) you have the dealership install them and make sure they're in full working order.

I don't know why GM has made it so difficult, it should be easier.
The situation with Ford is very similar. We who use pickups to haul and tow things are somewhat in the minority of pickup buyers in the USA, especially of half-tons. It's a big family car for lots of people, other capabilities just aren't used much... hence the low-numeric axle ratios, the fact that tow packages are an option, the fact that tow mirrors are a RARE option, etc.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
Palm Desert , California
I bought tow mirrors for my ‘18 Sierra Denali because it wasn’t an option at the time. Yes they were stupid expensive. I did the install myself. It took a morning and all the features work. I’m taking them off and selling them soon because my lease is up.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:11 PM   #28
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
2020 GMC 1500 Sierra Denali Carbon Pro Durmax - Red Brembo Brake Upgrade

For those of you considering ordering a GM 1500 Series for towing, here are the specifications for the Red Brembo Brakes that can be ordered with your build, or added at a later date to your vehicle. It is an expensive package, however, the knowledge that you have equipped your TV with the most capable brake system available adds safety as well as confidence to your trip, with the consequences of a collision reduced, and safety margins increased. It is hard to put a value on that. Our passengers, TV, and Airstream deserve the best.

Here are some facts:

The Brembo kits feature the company's iconic red six-piston, fixed aluminum calipers loaded with brake pads that clamp onto to larger-than-stock, 42 percent larger, 410 x 32mm (16.1-inch x 1.3-inch) Duralife™ vented rotors. This package offers an 84 percent increase in brake pad area to increase system thermal capacity.
The caliper wraps around a large, vented rotor that not only looks great and fills the wheel opening, they also contribute to reduced braking distances and better control when hauling loads or pulling a trailer.
During GM testing, the Performance Brake Upgrade system provided a 31 percent reduction in pedal force and 12 percent reduction in pedal travel at max deceleration, providing improved pedal feel.

They are a bit heavier that the OEM that they replace, and being a Dealer added option, I believe that they are not factored into the GVW. My trip to the scales with my 25 International confirmed that I do not have much reserve for cargo, although for my purposes I should be fine.

I hope that this information can be of use to those considering TV issues.

Cheers, J
Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Interesting about the brakes. Thanks for posting.

For OP these things are designed transmission and engine management to tow the most comfortably (engine & cooling system) and efficiently at 65. Not saying your tow mileage won't improve at lesser speed just saying its designed to be optimally efficient their for the power required. I've noticed I can easily tow 14 hours on 3 fill ups. If running 70 it takes 4 and whatever time I saved by running faster was lost refueling that last time.

I have an older Ram 3.0 diesel. It with aftermarket engine & transmission tunes normally averages in the mid 15s both directions with a double axle AS. Towing mine with a friend towing with his 19 Cummins gets 12 - 12.5 mpg a 3 mpg difference. If we speed up to 70 mine will fall off to 13.5 ish his 11.5 to 12 about a 1.5 mpg difference. The fuel savings corridor quickly gets smaller as either drag from speed increases or as we move to larger boxier and heavier trailers. Inside the what I call half ton appropriate loads the little diesels are great outside you may as well get the bigger truck & motor.

Yes we transport for AS & other TT Mfgrs. Myself mostly AS's. 775,000 on my 2014. Different tune settings can really affect how well your turbo brake works. If someone offers a tune for GM 3.0 diesel ask about turning up the turbo brake settings. Its really nice coming down a miles long 6 percent grade with say 7k pushing you and never having to touch your truck brakes to hold your speed down. Saving your brakes and keeping them cool for a strong emergency stop. With the factory trailer brake controller its very comforting and reassuring.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags