Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 09:57 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Can fan

When we were searching for our AS in 2009, we bought our TV first, 2005 Express 12 passenger 3500. One AS dealer commented, “Ah, yes, the tow vehicle all others aspire to be.” “Silvester” has towed “Silvia”, our ‘06 Safari 25fb through 30 states so far, and we’re determined to fill the US map with stickers (except Hawaii.) When not towing it hauls lumber, theatre scenery, and family and friends to events. It’s frequently borrowed to move furniture and appliances, and loved by the whole family. It usually has one bench seat in allowing the dogs a comfortable seat while still accommodating way too much camping equipment, or 8’ lumber. Remarkably tight turning radius, excellent visibility, and with running boards, easy enough access. I use 600# bars on the Reese cam weight distribution, and we barely feel the passing of an 18 wheeler. I’m thinking about changing the differential ratio to add a little more rev at freeway speed. And I’m hoping to find some used van conversion seats. But we are keeping Silvester until he dies, and we’ll bury him with the pets in the back yard.
jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Lake Elsinore , California
My in-laws have a Chevy Express van conversion with a nice leather interior they use to tow their pontoon boat with. Not sure of the boat and trailer weight, but it tows easily with a 6.6L Duramax diesel under the stubby hood of the van. I suspect it would do fine with an AS in tow.
safaridave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #23

1999 19' Bambi
Minneapolis , MN
My TV

I tow my '99 Bambi 19 footer with The Silver Unicorn: a 2016 Chevy 1 Ton Cargo van that was ordered (not by me) with passenger van amenities. Plenty of power with the 6 liter engine and a 10k towing capacity (factory tow package including tow mode option), non-slip differential, with factory tie downs/mat in the back of the van that can hold our motorcycles and gear. I wanted a sliding side door with glass, as well as glass in the back doors, too. Check! Tinted windows block prying eyes while on the road and we feel more secure when not in close proximity with the factory alarm. The Unicorn came with cloth Captains' seats (w/ a power driver's seat) along with heated power mirrors, so adjusting between drivers is a piece of cake. It has a touch screen (XM) radio display with back-up camera and navigation (in a CARGO van!?!). Came with rear heat & cooling as well. The Hubster insulated the walls & ceiling with Easy-Cool, and added nice oak 'rail' wall protectors. Did I mention remote start? And unlike most cargo vans, it is not white. It also has the color coordinated halo trim on the back side and chrome bumper option. We average 15 mpg on our most recent trip (last summer) and the buffeting is way less with the van's profile; you hardly feel Bambi back there. When not towing, I use it for work (Craft Services [think catering]) and hauling stuff.

It's a true Unicorn and I love it! I've had Chevy vans before, and I dreamed of such a vehicle within my price range with low miles (42k). I searched the entire US for months (over a year actually) before finding it in Houston, with everything I wanted and then some. We flew down from Minneapolis & drove it back, and the trip up was marvelous!! I have a pic of the Unicorn & Bambi together, but having a smidge difficulty uploading it (will attempt later).
ChopstikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
This is our unicorn tow vehicle. 2016 1 ton Chevy Express cargo van with Quigley 4x4 conversion. Only thing I wish it had was the new 6.6 vs the 6.0 motor that it has.

Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Planting a seed here for a future all-electric Ford E-Transit van tow vehicle -- click on the orange arrow in the quote to go directly to the new Ford F-150 Lightning thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS -- One important factor just came to light, as I was researching the proposed E-Transit all-electric van mentioned briefly in the Lightning's roll-out.
. . .
Here is the Ford E-Transit home page:

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/e-transit/2022/
. . .

There are additional points there about Ford's proposed charging stations and other owner support factors.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote