Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Changes in HD Truck Market

I just came across this article regarding the Heavy Duty Truck market here in the US. Although I believe Toyota is a great manufacturer, it looks like the Japanese are worried about being able to take on the US big truck boys. It is hard to beat American Iron when it comes to haulers. So if you have been holding off for a Japanese Heavy Duty Truck, you are gonna have to wait a lot longer.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Interesting article.

I think the Japanese are being patient and smart. Why try to fight for market share in a flat or down market. They will just wait for the next upturn in the economy to go after a share of another segment.

Fuel prices may change this segment too. I love my gmc 2500 but, $88 at a fillup (the highest bill this summer) causes me to start to think about alternatives.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:43 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
about alternatives...

Hi there;
In Europe, fuel prices are double from yours so there is , for the moment, an alternative to pay less... the LPG . Most of american cars and pick-up, are equipped with LPG system and that work well . the fuel price is half and we appreciate that even it's your fuel price today. But with the double price, it'll be impossible, for us living in Europe, and France, for me, to drive an american pick-up truck as my F150 to tow the A/S.
In spite of the economy that system give you, not many others vehicles are equiped ( exept only in Holland, I think) because people are afraid of lpg for what they saw 1 or 2 explosions at TV.
Plus, to began do real economies , you have to use your vehicle for doing lot of miles; the car modifications are expensive and if it stay at your garage, you don't profit of the low lpg price.

is there a lpg project in USA ?

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Bruno,
There are LPG powered vehicles here in the US. But there are several drawbacks. One is the limited range for a given tank size. The other is a lack of LP fueling stations. Typically LP is mainly used for heating, cooking and agricultural use. The last time I checked it was running almost the same as regular gas. My big dually diesel will run around 500 miles on a fill-up, it would take a very large LP tank to give me that kind of range. FWIW diesel is currently running around $2.56 where I am right now. We are starting to get the soybean based biodiesel. My truck prefers it. It currently is more expensive than dino diesel, but I think that will change over time.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM   #5
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Bruno,
There are LPG powered vehicles here in the US. But there are several drawbacks. One is the limited range for a given tank size. The other is a lack of LP fueling stations. Typically LP is mainly used for heating, cooking and agricultural use. The last time I checked it was running almost the same as regular gas. My big dually diesel will run around 500 miles on a fill-up, it would take a very large LP tank to give me that kind of range. FWIW diesel is currently running around $2.56 where I am right now. We are starting to get the soybean based biodiesel. My truck prefers it. It currently is more expensive than dino diesel, but I think that will change over time.

Aaron
Hi Aaron,
I've the same consumption of lpg comparated with gasoline so, i agree with you, i need a 140 liters tank ( in fact 2x70 liters tanks ) fixed behind the bed of my f150. There are many filling stations now, in France but it was hard in the beginning to find . No station in Germany, by example so hopefully, we can connect to the classic gasoline system when no more lpg to burn.

I have seen the Renault big boss, this week-end, talking about the future car energy ( he also talked about of the association with Général motors...). He thinks for a near future, to develop the ethanol energy, for a low cost system on the actual cars; is it really the solution, may be, i don't know.

Bruno.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
Last year I replaced my '91 Dodge Cummins with a Nissan Titan. I sacrificed a bit of mileage but now burn much cheaper and more readily available regular gas. I tow an
'89 29ft Excella that weighs about 6800lbs. Though the Titan is rated for over 9000lbs I would say that I run at the practical limit for this TV. I upgraded the original equipment tires and added Timbren auxillary springs front and rear. The Q-45 V-8 in the Nissan is a completely different kettle of fish from traditional detroit iron, with its torque peak all the way up at 3800rpm. With plenty of gears and using the high revs this engine was designed for I find the power to be quite adequate, even in the mountain west where I spend a lot of time. The SEMA article is typical self-serving Detroit drivel, the Japanese are and will continue to be a real threat to the US manufacturers. In May of '05 I bought the new '04 Titan/4WD/Tow Package/Utility Bed off the dealers lot for 24K (MSRP 31K) and could not touch a Dodge/Cummins for less than 35K, I am happy as a clam!

Steve
madrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Look close

Steve,

I don't think the message behind the article is that Asia can't compete, I believe the message is that they are waiting for the right time. The Titan is a great truck, but Nissan is quoted in the article as saying " It has been determined that the current Titan platform is not adequate enough for 3/4 or 1 ton models". Chances are that when Toyota and Nissan decided to produce "Heavy Duty" trucks, they will be assembled here, with the contents label heavily favoring North America. I would even bet that these foreign labeled trucks will be designed in California. Any takers?

John
Old 10-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
It's interesting how two people can read the SEMA story and come up with opinions 180 degrees apart. As I read it, Toyota is not going to make a move in the HD market until they get it right. I live in a community where there is no Lexis, Infinity, Honda, Suzuki, M-B, Range Rover or BMW dealer within 60 miles. Cadillac and Lincoln sales are generally cash deals and you couldn't buy a 2 wheel drive truck here to save your soul.

You can count the Tundras and Frontiers on the fingers of one hand at a live stock auction or cattle sale.

There are work trucks and play trucks....Toyota and Nissan will break into the real truck category sooner than later, but for the time being Dodge, Ford and GM offer the best bang for the buck. And, the profits stay in Detroit!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
And, the profits stay in Detroit!
My Suburban was made in Mexico.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
My Suburban was made in Mexico.
Yes-by a wholly US owned company...
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Spending 3 weeks in Europe I was amazed at the range of vehicles that companies, including "American" ones like Ford already have in their inventory. Toyota has been selling trucks all over the world that are more than capable of hauling an Airstream. We rented a Ford Transit van (aka Tranny Van). These have been an institution in Great Britian for decades. I can't understand why when the Sprinter has been such a huge success Ford hasn't moved to introduce the Tranny Van to the US.

The European diesels are amazing. After the Tranny Van we had a Ford Galaxy (not your Grandfather's Galaxy) that had a kick butt diesel mated to a 6spd manual. Gas prices have recently dropped here in the US but in August there wasn't that big of a difference between fuel prices in the US vs Ireland. The one thing I found interesting is that their diesel was cheaper than gas. That's as it should be since you can refine more gallons of diesel from a barrel of crude than gasoline.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi truck trend watchers...

as much as we'd like to think automotive decisions are made relative to our airstream towing needs.....we are but a tiny pice of the pie...

toyota is just 2 months from producing a genuine 1/2 ton truck. the new tundra will give ford, ge'em, and dodge fits....

ford could respond by bringing a smaller diesel to the game, but toyota will grow in this segment like no one can imagine...

still most 1/2 buyers or other small truck buyers are shopping car alternatives...the truck as a personal image thing.

weekend towing, some camping, the occasional load from homedepot and LOTS of urban driving. that is why suvs and crucks can fill this need.

the 3/4-1 ton market is much different these are work trucks. contractors, plumbers, electricians and most construction workers from all trades shop 3/4-1 ton.

also the 3/4-1 ton segment is 15-25k$ more money....and 2-4k$ more profit per unit.

small truck sales have been slowing for 2-3 years, while 3/4-1 tons numbers have continued to increase till right now.

why?

the housing market.

new home construction nationally is finally taking a breather. it is predicted to be 18-24 months before the next national home construction boom.

that is when 3/4-1 ton sales will again take off...

also the diesels which drive most of the truck models will be better sorted out. ulsd will almost completely in place by 2009.

so toyota and nissan are just properly timing their entry into the 'contractor truck' segment.

it ain't about fear of competing with ge'em or ford...only detroit insiders hold on to this myth.

it's about timing.

i really like my ford superduty and would buy one again,

but the nissan and toyota offerings, when they are built will be every bit as good...just check back in 09.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
you got it!

2air,

As usual, you are right on target....thanks for the back up.

John
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Bruno, I currently run LPG fumigation on my Duramax diesel engine. On my last LP fillup, my combination mileage yielded a cost of 93% of what it would have been on diesel alone. But, alas, diesel has dropped in price, so my LP switch is off, and the tank empty until the next refinery fire, hurricane or Mid-East military conflict starts.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi truck trend watchers...

but the nissan and toyota offerings, when they are built will be every bit as good...just check back in 09.

cheers
2air'
Very nice analysis. Thanks for sharing!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
Bruno, I currently run LPG fumigation on my Duramax diesel engine. On my last LP fillup, my combination mileage yielded a cost of 93% of what it would have been on diesel alone. But, alas, diesel has dropped in price, so my LP switch is off, and the tank empty until the next refinery fire, hurricane or Mid-East military conflict starts.
Hi pick;
Our LPG is half the price of the diesel and more than with the gazoline. the consumption is the same. When diesel & gasoline prices increase as yours in USA, LPg increase too but not in a lower range. Then, driving with LPG keep the engine oil clear because the burning is cleaner than with the other product and life engine is very longer. Really, it's a great advantage.
Note that LPG is only mounted in Europe, on gasoline engines, not diesel.

Bruno.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
still most 1/2 buyers or other small truck buyers are shopping car alternatives...the truck as a personal image thing.

weekend towing, some camping, the occasional load from homedepot and LOTS of urban driving. that is why suvs and crucks can fill this need.

the 3/4-1 ton market is much different these are work trucks. contractors, plumbers, electricians and most construction workers from all trades shop 3/4-1 ton.

cheers
2air'
Couldn't agree more. I think the recent surge in fuel costs have knocked a lot of the pretenders (the casual 1/2 ton buyers just mentioned) out of the truck market. Lets face it-a truck is not the best form a transportation for most and many folks just don't "need" a truck. The HD truck segment is different though, as stated these are sold mainly to people who "need" trucks (lets add our kind to the list also=people who "tow"!). But I also think this segment is more stable, we buy trucks because we "need them" not to massage our ego. Having said that I also feel that this is a VERY brand loyal group (just look at some of the Ford vs GM threads!) so I am not so sure the foreign owned auto makers will have an easy time breaking into this market, and they may not want to, as in the future it will be smaller market than recently due to only those folks who "need" trucks, actually buying them. Why chase a shrinking market with a very loyal demographic? An uphill battle for sure...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
GM, General Madness

Loyalty my bum. I have a GM that went to the dealer 14 times under warranty. Every year I replace front end parts. My wife's Toyota has not gone for a warranty item yet with twice the miles per year. It was almost the same when I had a Tacoma.
I have been shopping for a truck for a while now and am waiting for a Toyota. The GMC seems to have forgotten how to build a truck. My buddy bought the same GM thing a year later and has terrible problems. If I can get the Airstream light enough a Tacoma might do it. But the snow......
It will not be long before Toyota has more Americans working than GM.
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
Loyalty my bum. I have a GM that went to the dealer 14 times under warranty. Every year I replace front end parts. My wife's Toyota has not gone for a warranty item yet with twice the miles per year. It was almost the same when I had a Tacoma.
I have been shopping for a truck for a while now and am waiting for a Toyota. The GMC seems to have forgotten how to build a truck. My buddy bought the same GM thing a year later and has terrible problems. If I can get the Airstream light enough a Tacoma might do it. But the snow......
It will not be long before Toyota has more Americans working than GM.
R
fastrob,

Based on your experience, it doesn't sound as though GM has any Americans WORKING, so I wouldn't bet too much against your last sentence. I am not bashing GM, just stating an observation.

John
Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
]Yes, I was commenting on the topic of this post. Not trying to start yet ANOTHER brand war, I have a 10 yr old GMC in my driveway right now with 130k on it. Runs as good as the day it left the showroom. Just bought a ¾ ton to replace it (10 yrs is my personal limit for any vehicle. I feel I have justified my investment after so long). My wife had a Z-car in the 90’s, most dependable vehicle we have ever owned; sold that at 10 yrs old with 120k on it. I am on my 5th GM truck and have been very happy with each one. Had one tranny rebuilt at 50k, but the dealer picked up the tab as the truck was a little less than 3 yrs old. Other than that they have all been great, very dependable. Don’t know what I will own next, that is 10 yrs from now, God only knows who or what will be for sale then.

My wife’s sister has a Subaru, less than a yr old. Nothing but problems, she is pursuing a lemon-law refund. A buddy of mine owns a tow service; he’ll tell you he tows just as many Toyotas as he does Fords, etc, etc. BTW, my wife is due for a new car; she said she would like to look at foreign cars too, first time she ever said that. She is free to buy whatever she likes…she wants something that gets good mileage and has AWD.Got to admit the foreign cars tend to be better in these parameters.

My point is; they are all capable of producing a defective vehicle. They are also all capable of making very dependable vehicles. Any thing you can buy today (even a Hyundai!) is capable of 150k miles. You would be hard pressed to find junk on any dealer’s lot. I happen to like GM trucks, have owned quite a few. The point of my post, in reference to the article, is that in general (There are always exceptions as you have demonstrated) the HD truck owners are a loyal bunch. But this is a niche market, and becoming smaller as the cost of fuel rises. It cost million$ to develop new vehicle platforms, I am not so sure the foreign manufacturers would be wise to chase such a niche market. I think 2air had it right when he said the foreign mfrs will wait and see.

We can assume your truck has done some serious tow duty-have you weighed both axles? Perhaps the front end is being overloaded by your WD setup?Something is not right if you have done front end work every year.