Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Can you help me figure out if I didn't buy enough truck?

Reading some of the threads on this board has me worried that my 2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab V8 4wd is inadequate. The dealer said the Titan is more than capable but I am not so sure anymore. Here are the specifics:

Nissan Titan GCWR = 14822 lb
Truck curb weight = 5038 lb
Weight distribution hitch, sway control bar and electronic trailer brake control

I am pulling a 2011 28'FC which has a tongue weight of 976 lb and GVWR of 7300 lb.

Does this mean 14822 - 5038 - 7300 - 976 = 1508 lb which is the maximum passengers, hitch receiver, hitch and cargo can weigh?

Please let me know if I've got the calculations all wrong. Thanks.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should check the GVWR of your TV. I would suspect that with the heavy tongue weight of the trailer and a couple of average size people in the TV you are right at the max with the load carrying rating of your truck.
There is a difference between the load carrying capacity and the towing capacity.
Look up the specs on the load carrying capacity. Then subtract the tongue weight, passenger(s) and drivers weight. Plus anything else you are hauling in the truck. If it is a negative number. You may not have enough truck.
But the scales will give you a better picture.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Gonna jump into this one based on my past limited towing experience and way too many hours of research . Folks on forums always have fun with this topic!

Here's what a website said about your 2006 vehicle: "The heart and soul of the Titan is pure, unabashed power, with an all-aluminum 5.6-liter V8 engine that produces 305 horsepower* and 379 lb-ft of torque and features a maximum towing capacity of 9,400 pounds for Crew Cab (when properly equipped) – as much as some 3/4-ton pickups. Titan utilizes a rugged, fully boxed high-strength all-steel F-Alpha platform for enhanced crash performance and long-term durability."

So, weight-wise, you are fine pulling the trailer with your Titan Crew Cab even if you load up the trailer to its maximum GVWR.

And yes, to: "Does this mean 14822 - 5038 - 7300 - 976 = 1508 lb which is the maximum passengers, hitch receiver, hitch and cargo can weigh?"

Remember you probably have 1,000-1,500 lbs allotted to the gear you put in the trailer till you reach your trailer GVWR of 7300 lbs.

Sounds like just the right tow rig to me. Let's see what others have to say. And most importantly how it feels to you when towing! Safe and sound is what we all want!

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You should check the GVWR of your TV. I would suspect that with the heavy tongue weight of the trailer and a couple of average size people in the TV you are right at the max with the load carrying rating of your truck.
There is a difference between the load carrying capacity and the towing capacity.
Look up the specs on the load carrying capacity. Then subtract the tongue weight, passenger(s) and drivers weight. Plus anything else you are hauling in the truck. If it is a negative number. You may not have enough truck.
But the scales will give you a better picture.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
I believe the GVWR of the truck takes into account passengers, no? It is 6422 lb, btw. Max payload is 1587 lb.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Gonna jump into this one based on my past limited towing experience and way too many hours of research . Folks on forums always have fun with this topic!

Here's what a website said about your 2006 vehicle: "The heart and soul of the Titan is pure, unabashed power, with an all-aluminum 5.6-liter V8 engine that produces 305 horsepower* and 379 lb-ft of torque and features a maximum towing capacity of 9,400 pounds for Crew Cab (when properly equipped) – as much as some 3/4-ton pickups. Titan utilizes a rugged, fully boxed high-strength all-steel F-Alpha platform for enhanced crash performance and long-term durability."

So, weight-wise, you are fine pulling the trailer with your Titan Crew Cab even if you load up the trailer to its maximum GVWR.

And yes, to: "Does this mean 14822 - 5038 - 7300 - 976 = 1508 lb which is the maximum passengers, hitch receiver, hitch and cargo can weigh?"

Remember you probably have 1,000-1,500 lbs allotted to the gear you put in the trailer till you reach your trailer GVWR of 7300 lbs.

Sounds like just the right tow rig to me. Let's see what others have to say. And most importantly how it feels to you when towing! Safe and sound is what we all want!

Chris
I'm certainly hoping I have enough truck. Regardless, I will be upgrading the suspension with springs, coil overs and thicker sway bars.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Can you help me figure out if I didn't buy enough truck?

The tire/wheel/axle ratings are what matter most. The changes noted may not help. Dial in the WDH on a certified scale and set TV tire pressure accordingly.

Too much spring rate like too much tire pressure can work against what is needed. Get the hitch right and get some road time.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
It appears you are double counting your tongue weight in your calculation as it is all ready part of the gross trailer weight. your CGVW should be 14822-5038-7300=2484. The tongue weight is used with your Titan GVW.

With a good hitch (I love my ProPride) your truck is fine, but then I am quite happy towing our 34' with an F150. The key is to make a trip over the scales and find out what your trailer truly weighs when loaded for camping. Our 34' has a max weight of 10,000#, but we are only around 8,200# when we go camping.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The truck manufacturer's published "towing capacity" is an almost meaningless figure that is put out there so people can have bragging rights about who owns the more "manly truck." Your truck can PULL that trailer, of that there is no question.

The essential question remaining is can the combination of tires, axles, suspension and the truck's frame safely handle the WEIGHT of the trailer's tongue plus all the cargo you will have in the truck (people, fuel, and stuff.) This is usually where a tow vehicle can come up short.

Check your truck's specifications to determine the maximum cargo carrying capacity (or some similar terminology) and then add up the weight of all the people, fuel, accessories (e.g., cap or bed cover,) weight distributing hitch, and cargo you plan to carry plus the published hitch weight of the trailer to see where you stand. If you are close to your truck's maximum, then you might want to get actual weights at a truck stop and if the actual weight is still close to the truck's maximum, then you will have decisions to make.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avoid Donner Pass when it's snowing.

Seriously you're not the only one with a Tundra and a 28. It may not be great in the mountains but it's probably adequate. Tow vehicle "discussions" can get very heated; there are a few folks who think an F-350 dually isn't robust enough for a Bambi and others who think you can tow a tri-axle 34 with an Explorer... Neither of those extreme views are valid.

Use "SEARCH" function - select Google search and try "Tundra tow vehicle" you'll get about a dozen threads.

The stopping power of a vehicle can actually be more important than the towing power. Keep your transmission cool, and your brakes in good condition!

Paula
Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
The mfg tongue weight of # 976 is not accurate.I think that you will find it to be #1100-#1200 when trailer is loaded and lp tanks are full.According to your specs that you listed your truck has a maximum payload of #1384lbs.This does not included the passengers and gear that will be in the cab or box.
I have a 28ft International and all I can tell you is I pulled it for one season with a 2010 f150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 V8 with a similar #1350 maximum payload and while it pulled ok I could tell it was maxed out in suspension,braking and hill pulling and for me I was out.Traded for a larger capacity truck and the difference is night and day.You will find that people on this forum all have different ideas on tow vehicles.Some say the mfg's have conspired to sell big trucks by publishing low payloads on small vehicles and mini vans etc.They also are under the belief that any tow vehicle will be fine if you modify it.
The Titan may be a little light for this big of a Airstream but that is for you to decide.Pull it and find out that will be the best thing.Be safe
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Several comments that might help (and I'm not interested in starting an argument):
The published GCVWR is a reliable figure, no manufacturer wants the liability of telling you the vehicle can handle more than it really can.
The GCVWR means exactly what is seems to mean, which is the combined gross weight of the truck and trailer and is found by adding ONLY the GVWR of your Truck and the GVWR of your trailer. The tongue weight is included in the GVWR of your trailer. You don't need to add it in again.
The GVWR of your truck means the maximum weight the truck can carry, regardless of where that weight is. Same thing with the GVWR of your trailer. The Maximum Cargo Carrying Capacity is simply that: the truck with all of its equipment weighs "X" number of pounds. Put a 150# driver in the front seat with a full tank of gas, weigh the truck, subtract that answer from the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and you have the Cargo Carrying Capacity.
Assuming you don't overload the trailer (which is a HUGE assumption) your figures tell us that IF your truck's MAXIMUM weight never exceeds 7522# then you are with in specs. You didn't give us the GVWR of your truck.
The safest way to figure out if you have "enough truck" is to hook up the trailer and truck, load them for travel, and weigh them. If that weight exceeds the 14822# the answer is a resounding NO! Having said that, only a fool would aim for maxing out the weights.
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Avoid Donner Pass when it's snowing.

Seriously you're not the only one with a Tundra and a 28. It may not be great in the mountains but it's probably adequate. Tow vehicle "discussions" can get very heated; there are a few folks who think an F-350 dually isn't robust enough for a Bambi and others who think you can tow a tri-axle 34 with an Explorer... Neither of those extreme views are valid.

Use "SEARCH" function - select Google search and try "Tundra tow vehicle" you'll get about a dozen threads.

The stopping power of a vehicle can actually be more important than the towing power. Keep your transmission cool, and your brakes in good condition!

Paula
The OP actually has a Titan, but he should still have plenty of truck to pull his 28' FC. Run what you brung. The original Titans back in 2004 were advertised to tow 10,000#.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post

Does this mean 14822 - 5038 - 7300 - 976 = 1508 lb which is the maximum passengers, hitch receiver, hitch and cargo can weigh?
No - you're deducting the tongue wt. + the trailer - which includes the tongue.

Total trailer wt. & TV curb wt. deducts from the combined max. total vehicles' weights.

Hitch or tongue wt. & curb wt. deducts from the total gross vehicle weight.

The lower of the 2 net is your useful load for passengers & cargo, & the curb wt. usually includes a 150-165# driver & 90-100% full fuel, but their are variances on that, so check your owner's manual or Nissan for what they included in curb wt.

TT
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
It is amazing how many people do not read the posts before chiming in with their opinion.Lol
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have towed my 31' Sovereign almost 60000 miles now with my 2004 Titan Crew Cab. The truck has a total of 181000 miles on it. It has never so much as hiccuped . On a steep grade, 3rd gear and about 3800 RPM will motor you up nicely and neither the engine or tranny temp gages budge. The 5.6 is rock solid as is the transmission. The only upgrade I have done is slotted/dimpled front rotors.

Can you take your bowling ball or Mosler safe collection? No.

Is the truck a very solid, capable tow vehicle. Yes.

We get about 11 mpg when towing which is pretty much average for a V8 gasser. The downside, as you know, is that it only gets around 15 as a daily driver.

The clear coat is failing. There are dings and dents. But it starts every time, doesn't burn a drop of oil and is a very pleasant ride.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A paint job is less expensive than a new truck.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Why not simply drive over to a CAT scale and pay $10 to get the total rig weighed?
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Take the rig to the nearest CAT truck stop scales or grain elevator and you will get three weights - trailer axles, truck rear axle and truck front axle. Drop the trailer in the back of the truck lot and cross the scales with the same folks and gear but no trailer. You now have the total vehicle weight to compare to the truck label Gross Combination weight allowance on the door tag. You also have the axle loads to compare to the axle ratings on the truck door tag and the trailer axle ratings.

You also now know the trucks weight weight alone and can see how close it is loaded to maximum weight. The axle loads will show whether the weight distribution hitch has actually moved some of the trailer tongue weight to the front axle.

If any of the gross weights or axle (also check tire load ratings on the sidewalls of the tires) or tire ratings are exceeded, then there are some major decisions to make.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
It is amazing how many people do not read the posts before chiming in with their opinion.Lol
I think it's very entertaining.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There have been a lot of posts on the Forum over the years that claim the Titan and Ridgeline trucks are not capable towing vehicles. There have also been posts from owners of thee Nissans and Hondas saying they have towed with them and have no problems. This will never be settled.

But a few things to think of—

The payload (or cargo weight) should be listed on the sticker on the driver's side B pillar. That should show the payload as the truck left the factory, but any added options will count against payload. That could include running boards, topper, tonneau.

Manufacturers have determined payload differently. Check the owner's manual—there should be a towing section somewhere. When they calculate it, do they use a full gas tank, all other fluids, driver? You may find different payload numbers in the manual, but that would be for a model only with standard options, but most come with optional options which you have to subtract from the manual's numbers.

You can add another leaf spring to the rear suspension or use other upgrades, but you also have to consider axles, brakes, wheels and tires, differentials, engine, tranny, etc. You may have 3/4 ton springs and 1/2 ton axles. Nissan used to be known for powerful engines (compared to Toyota, but times may have changed), so you surely have enough power, but as others have said, there's more to it.

Tongue weight stated by Airstream is probably low. You have to add in the weight of propane, spare tire, anything added to the tongue (heavier batteries are one possibility) and maybe some heavy stuff at the front of the trailer. Add 200 lbs. to be safe. But here's the good news—with a weight distributing hitch, 1/3 of the tongue wt. is transferred to the trailer axles and 2/3 to the truck axles.

A few years ago the SAE issued recommendations as to how to calculate towing weight. Last I heard only Toyota had adopted these recommendations; the numbers went down a bit, maybe 5-10%. But other companies did not adopt them and your truck was built long before SAE acted anyway. Your numbers may be inflated.

So if your actual tongue wt. is 1,200 lbs. compared to the nearly 1,000 lbs. according to the specs, only subtract 800 from payload—there, you just gained 200 lbs. for cargo. Now you can bring a Great Dane with you, maybe two.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote