Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Calculating dry and tongue weights

Numbers on top are the truck without cargo, but include DH & me.
Numbers below are with truck on the front CAT scale section and Gracie (dry/empty) on the next section.
Our 2009 F-150 Supercab, Short bed has a 6550# GVWR package, and GCVWR of 13,500#Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8351.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	303672
Thoughts... be nice please [emoji6]
So we add the tongue weight to the trailer weight number?
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
You are fine.
This is how I weighed mine;
Disconnected TV from AS completely on scale=Gross Trailer Weight
Parked trailer with tongue on scale and axles off scale=Tongue Weight
TV and AS connected on scale=Gross Combined Weight

Calculating tongue weight by subtracting will not yield a correct answer and weight distribution hitches will exaggerate this error.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So if I read it right, the trailer weighs 5380 lbs. The trailer adds 620 lbs to the truck and carries 4760 lbs on its axles. If the WD hitch is engaged to transfer wt then the load on the truck will be less than the actual tongue weight since a little weight is transferred back to the trailer. The actual tongue weight (with the trailer disconnected and a jack under the tongue) is a relatively useless number when you have the actual load on the truck as you do. And yes, you seem to be well within specs.

For comparison, our 25', 1988 Excella, weights 6300 lbs loaded and adds 800 lbs to the truck when hitched. I do not know its actual tongue weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So if I read it right, the trailer weighs 5380 lbs. The trailer adds 620 lbs to the truck and carries 4760 lbs on its axles. If the WD hitch is engaged to transfer wt then the load on the truck will be less than the actual tongue weight since a little weight is transferred back to the trailer. The actual tongue weight (with the trailer disconnected and a jack under the tongue) is a relatively useless number when you have the actual load on the truck as you do. And yes, you seem to be well within specs.

For comparison, our 25', 1988 Excella, weights 6300 lbs loaded and adds 800 lbs to the truck when hitched. I do not know its actual tongue weight.

We have a new Anderson WD hitch on the truck/trailer. Should we weigh the trailer unhitched? Park the trailer on a CAT scale with the tongue on a different section than the axles?
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. I think what's throwing me off is you have 0 pounds on your steer axle which is where the front of your tow vehicle should be on the scale.

Steer is your truck's front tires.

Drive is your truck's rear tires.

Trailer is the axle(s) of your trailer.

Gross is the sum of all 3.

So somewhere in there I think we're missing a number to determine how well you're set up. But what I think you're saying is the truck itself is 5780#, the trailer must be 5380# and from that we can conclude you're within the the GVWR and CGVWR specs you posted - so that's good news!

What we can't tell (well, I'm personally not smart enough to figure it out from these tickets - maybe someone else can) is the impact of the trailer weight on the front axle or the effectiveness of your hitch in restoring that weight.

So - I'd suggest another pass being sure the axles are aligned on the scales to get those different weights with 3 passes (in whatever order works for you)

1) truck alone (steer and drive axle, no trailer axle)

2) truck with trailer attached, no weight distribution applied (with your Andersen, I think that's unwinding the bolts that compress the bushings so they're not having any tension on the hitch) - here you'd have steer axle, drive axle and trailer axle - and your steer axle will weigh less than it does with the truck alone you weighed in point 1) above

3) truck with trailer attached with full weight distribution on (again, tightening the bushings on your Andersen to apply weight distribution to the steer axle of the truck). What you should see here is an increase in weight on the steer axle - and depending on your Ford's user manual, you'll likely need at least 50% if not 100% of the weight taken OFF the steer axle (obtained in point 2) above) replaced back ON the steer axle now that you've got the weight distribution applied.

If you can do that again and post the pics, you'll get some good advice on how the system is working and a good approximation of tongue weight through a simple calculation - which as already mentioned won't be perfect, but probably good enough for jazz [emoji3]

Good luck!!

-
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
I had to watch the CAT Scale weighing videos on their website and YouTube to get the hang of where to put the axles. Do it just like the big trucks.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Calculating dry and tongue weights

Need to redo the scale passes.

First with WDH tensioned and both vehicles loaded for camping with all passengers full fuel, propane and fresh water.

(At least, full TV fuel and water/propane).

Second pass is same except remove all WDH tension.

Third is to drop trailer and weigh TV only.

CAT Scale phone app makes it easy.

Don’t sweat the truckers. Your use is as valid as theirs.

Mid-morning probably best time of day for least scale traffic.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote