Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
Cadillac Super Cruise?? Other steering assisted TV?

GM says you should not tow using Super Cruise!

So I have ordered the new Cadillac Escalade with diesel and 'Super Cruise' which is GM's fully automated cruise control with steering and speed control for highway driving. I have badly arthritic hands and not having to always hold on would be wonderful.

But now GM says you shouldn't use Super Cruise while towing. UGH.

Is anyone using the Telsa X for towing? It's only 5000lb able but for a small Bambi it should be fine. I would love to hear about your experiences.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have no idea about the Cadillac software, but we have towed using adaptive cruise control in our Jeep Grand Cherokee without any problems. It doesn't have the steering control which might be the reason for the warning.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
None of the autonomous mode features are currently designed to be without active human interaction. Can you do it, pretty sure it can be done to some degree, but remember you are using software that is not fully perfected yet and so I would have serious reservation doing so normally and would have significant reservations with several tons of RV behind me that the system was not designed to manage. Should a crosswind hit and push the trailer, it is yet unknown how the vehicle would react and in the event of an incident, logs can be pulled from the car to see if the interaction was present.

Bottom line, I would not do it, nor do I know of any autonomous consumer grade vehicular offering that does.....yet.

Super Cruise as it's called in GMland, IIRC requires hands on the wheel, unless it's evolved from last time I saw it in action.

I am aware that testing on tractor trailers is ongoing and farm equipment has been doing it for years, but also has satellite guidance and those are also not moving at 60+mph. The tractor trailers might be, but then again, those were purpose built, whereas the consumer gear is more supplemental convenience than full autonomous for now, hence the do not do it from the manufacturer(s). In fact there may even be laws against doing so in the current offering.

Regardless, if the manual states not to do, and you do it and something happens, and there is personal injury outside of your party (or worse) and your vehicle was at fault and said logs find you were not actively participating in the vehicles control any ambulance chaser would gladly take on that kind of case, and a DA depending on severity might also take on a reckless endangerment or involuntary manslaughter case.

Of course when they say it's ok to do, you're off the hook...more or less.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
Good perspective.
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Supercruise was just coming out when I retired, but I believe it is hand and foot free, but has a camera-like device which requires eyes open and forward facing. If you refuse the eyes forward warnings, the car will pull over and park.
I never have driven one though..

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I'm waiting for ACC, where I can stay home and the rig goes Camping

Happy New Year..👍

Bob
🇺🇸

Love for the Adirondacks

"It is more wiser to ponder all things with diligent suspicion, than follow with blind assumption."
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote