Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 07:07 PM   #41

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Hi--I've been lurking on Air Forums since purchasing 25ft FB Flying Cloud a few months ago. Embarrassed to admit, hadn't given a moments thought to payload until I started reading AirForums. The towing capacity on my Tundra was adequate so I thought I was ok. What a mistake. Of course, the trailer's tongue weight is much more than advertised in the specs. So with two passengers even a minimal amount of gear in the bed maxes our payload capacity.

I really don't want a ¾ ton for all the reasons listed by David and more--so just this week I special ordered an F150 with 3.5 Ecoboost, Max Tow and Heavy Duty Payload packages. I believe it will be more than adequate to tow the trailer and I know I'll enjoy it more when I'm not towing. Fingers crossed.

Jim
If you ordered an F150 with option 627 (Heavy Duty Payload Package) you'll have plenty of payload. I really wanted a few options they wouldn't allow on a truck on which they'd also allow 627, so I went with a Lariat 502a with no sunroof or massaging seats, etc. and got enough payload for my needs, but I only have a little overhead loaded for long trips. Now it seems they'll let you order the 360-degree camera as a standalone item, so the only things I'd have to decide about would be the bigger dash screens and the LED headlights... but I *DO* like the LED headlights. They may not allow HDPP on a new Lariat at all, it doesn't show in the online configurator even on 500a (Lariat Standard.) And the big extendable trailer mirrors are an extra line-item, even with HDPP (but the manual XLT ones at least are cheaper to add)

On the F150 forums, people with HDPP supercrew XLTs report payload stickers in the 2300-2500 lb range. Lariats would probably be slightly less, though you can only get it on a 500a Lariat, so you don't get much more equipment than a 301a XLT.

I've seen a sticker on a 2wd XL Supercrew that was 2808 lb!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #42

1978 Argosy 30
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgranrud View Post
As a fellow Colorado member, who has driven the I-70 corridor through the Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass several hundred times without a camper and several times with my 27FB, I can say you will really appreciate a 3/4 ton diesel. Rolling down the west side of the Eisenhower Tunnel to Dillon and only requiring the exhaust break is a blissful experience. The unfettered climb up either pass gives confidence as well.
Thanks to you and the other Coloradans posting here, as well as others discussing mountain towing. I live north of Denver, have a 2000 Suburban 2500, 4WD, gas (no diesel available that year), tow package, that now has 185,000 miles on it. At least 80,000 of that is pulling a variety of A/S. I bought the 3/4 ton b/c I wanted to be able to tow any size A/S without concern and in general, it did not disappoint. It's a wonderful vehicle, comfortable, easy to drive, nearly maintenance free. The long wheelbase is optimal when towing, as well.

I have a 1978 Argosy, rear bedroom, 30' that I want to get back on the road. Much as I love my Suburban, I'm considering that it might be time for a new TV. My towing concerns are particularly what you and moosetags mentioned, so I'll be looking into a low mileage 3/4 ton diesel RAM, and also the diesel Silverado. Very appreciative of the good advice on this forum.
AirstreamLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
keep an eye on axle rating

be sure to keep the axle rating in mind as you contemplate this, when I had an F-150 as my tow vehicle, I had a slim margin of payload remaining, but according to the CAT scale tickets, I was *overloaded* on my F-150 rear axle. I don't know if the axle rating changes with the HD payload package, but the axle weight rating is a different number than the payload rating.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have owned three F150 and one Sierra 1500 which were very capable towing vehicles. I recently purchase a F250 (7.3 L) for my soon to arrive International 27FT. I don't want to even think about weight restrictions and limits on towing. For me, more is better. The 3/4 ton also has other advantages over a 1/2 ton besides towing.
TexasVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #45
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Tundra Experience

pteck,

Sorry; I don’t recall the final drive ratio. Also, mine was a 2015, I believe.

There were two other complaints I had about towing with the Tundra. First was the size of the fuel tank. I actually put a 55 gallon tank on the RAM because of that.

Second was the transmission. The software engineers thought they knew better the gear the truck should be in—especially on slow uphill grades (usually when I was behind trucks or slow cars). I could put it in the gear I wanted it to be in to keep it from constantly upshifting and downshifting—but the transmission would still do the same thing, regardless. I have a good friend who works for an independent auto repair firm and he confirmed that other Tundra owners—usually ones who towed trailers—had the same complaint about the transmission refusing to stay in the manually selected gear. And, no; I wasn’t over-revving the engine going uphill or downhill; quite the opposite going uphill when the transmission would upshift itself even when in manual and lug the engine.

Fortunately, it didn’t happen very often, but when it did I really felt the truck was abusing itself. I should have taken it to a dealership to have the transmission checked (I’m told some have a “learning” function which can be reset???), but I traded it in—primarily because of the braking concerns.

I drove the I-70 Eisenhower Tunnel East and West with the Tundra; didn’t care for the downhill into Dillon. I’ve also driven it with the RAM; night and day difference. Uphill and down.

YMMV, as they say!

Still, I have read about Tundra owners putting different disc brake pads and even rotors to get better braking for towing. And there are aftermarket fuel tanks (though none at 55 gallons, at least not when I was checking). Don’t know about shifting mod kits, though.

As I say, if Toyota ever comes out with a diesel Tundra I’m getting one. (Hopefully they will have learned from Nissan’s experience.)

Safe travels, everyone!
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Ingleside , Illinois
While you could get away with a 1/2 ton you would be better off with the 3/4 ton for safety purposes. I know a lot of folks go with a diesel, but to be perfectly clear you don't need a diesel for what you will be towing. I tow my 30' International with a Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. Plenty of power going over mountains. A diesel cost roughly 10 grand more and takes away payload. Diesels don't do well just sitting or driving just around town. You have to deal with diesel emission fluid and regen issues. Maintenance costs are lot higher on the diesel. On the plus side you do get better mileage. And if you tow heavy and often they are the way to go. Just wanted to let you know you don't need the diesel, gas is a good alternative. However only you know how you will be using it. Good luck and safe travels.
JohnandDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:10 AM   #47

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Waipahu , HI
Also need help

My wife and I visited Colonial Airstream while on vacation any my wife fell for the two Classics. My question is which truck should I be looking at to tow either the 30 or 33 while carrying a 800 lbs. motorcycle or UTV. Thanks for the help.
Aaron Agmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Buying a truck to pull my NEW AS

I have a ‘21 Classic 33 & tow with a RAM 2500 (Diesel). With that tongue weight, passengers and bunch of gear I put in the bed - I could not add an 800# motorcycle. That would definitely put me over the weight limit to tow safely.

Use this:

Towing Calculator
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218201
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:56 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's human nature for someone who's just paid $80,000 for a new tow vehicle to love it. No one will say, "I can't tell any difference from my 1995 F-150!"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:59 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Yes - I think I am hearing that the 1/2 ton will not get it done in the mountains for sure. I will not be driving this truck for daily transport so was wondering about the diesel fuel as have been told that it goes bad if not driven out - congeals (?) the more questions i ask the more confused i get. To be honest I LOVE Nissan so the post saying that it works well was nice to hear. Oh well - I have a few weeks before I have to decide. Thank you all
DBHent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #51
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I pull a 25 FB with a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra. 12,000 miles in the last 15 months. All over the west, up and down many passes. It does very well. No sway issues, and no feeling of the tail wagging the dog. I would have a 3/4 ton diesel though if I wanted to spend the money, and could fit it in my garage. I really believe you have to drive more carefully with a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 ton. I also think a big diesel would pull easier than most any gas engine.
The 1/2 ton just tows so well I can’t justify it.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHent View Post
To be honest I LOVE Nissan
Seems like a gas Titan XD would be a no brainer then.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Boulder , Colorado
As prior owners of a 25’ AS and now a 30’ AS, also located on the Front Range, we are so glad we were talked into the Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel. We can go up and down I-70 through the Eisenhower Tunnel without dragging up the Divide or getting pushed around from the rear going down. In the mountains, having the larger truck is just so much more relaxing - it just does what it needs to do without hesitating. We spend lots of time cruising around our beautiful Colorado mountains and never get white knuckled. Now if you’re thinking of buying used, avoid the GM truck years with the bad fuel pump design - we just spent $8000 to replace ours.
Bkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #54

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHent View Post
Yes - I think I am hearing that the 1/2 ton will not get it done in the mountains for sure. I will not be driving this truck for daily transport so was wondering about the diesel fuel as have been told that it goes bad if not driven out - congeals (?) the more questions i ask the more confused i get. To be honest I LOVE Nissan so the post saying that it works well was nice to hear. Oh well - I have a few weeks before I have to decide. Thank you all
Lots of people will tell you just that... and lots of other people tow with half-tons in the mountains regularly, so people hear what they want. Your statement that this will *NOT* be a daily driver means a lot more, actually, since you wouldn't be dealing much with the downside of the larger trucks (which is mainly that they're larger and longer.) If it's a dedicated tow vehicle, then really only the towing characteristics should matter for you.

Gasoline will degrade much faster than diesel. You do need to be careful with water in diesel fuel systems, having a bunch of water sitting in low points for months on end is not good, but dry pump gasoline will degrade faster than dry pump diesel fuel. If your tow vehicle using EITHER fuel is going to sit for weeks or months at a time without being driven, consider using fuel stabilizers. Diesel stabilizer is mostly just algaecide, gasoline stabilizer does a bit more, but either one is good insurance.

Also consider a battery maintainer for modern vehicles that don't get driven regularly... their "standby" demands on the battery are MUCH higher than even the recent past.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
It's human nature for someone who's just paid $80,000 for a new tow vehicle to love it. No one will say, "I can't tell any difference from my 1995 F-150!"
That might be because no one will say
"I can't tell any difference between this old 5 pound sledgehammer and this new 10 pound sledghammer "....
Old 03-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have two threads on these forums: Help me Spec a new F-150 and Help me Spec a new F-250. I have gotten a lot of kudos on these threads from people making the same decision.

It comes down to payload, which has a lot to do with which trailer you have and how you travel. I really wanted an F-150. If it were just my wife and I traveling, I could have gone that route. Add 2 kids, and therefore 2 more bikes and two more chairs and so forth—it all adds up quickly.

I wanted to be within the numbers. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #57
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron agmata;
my wife and i visited colonial airstream while on vacation any my wife fell for the two classics. My question is which truck should i be looking at to tow either the 30 or 33 while carrying a 800 lbs. Motorcycle or utv. Thanks for the help.
3500 IMO with that much weight on the rear axle.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #58

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Waipahu , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
3500 IMO with that much weight on the rear axle.
Thank you for your response. Would I need a dually to carry the weight of the bile and trailer?
Aaron Agmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #59
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Agmata;
Thank you for your response. Would I need a dually to carry the weight of the bile and trailer?

I cannot advise if a SRW or DRW is appropriate. I have no doubt a DRW will do the job but you may be fine on a SRW - depends on the truck, it’s rating, and the total weight you plan to put in the bed / on the receiver.

You’ll need to do some math and add everything up, then start looking at the door sticker on trucks you are interested in buying.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Agmata View Post
I would