Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Buying a truck to pull my NEW AS

So I need to buy a truck to pull my NEW 2017 25' Flying Cloud AS and I am getting alot of help from everyone I speak to about it but they all have something different to say so getting extremely confused. The MAX axle is 7300 lbs so want to make sure that I have enough truck to pull without issues. I would appreciate any comments from others that have similar AS Trailers so that I can make an informed decision. You guys have so much knowledge that I have soaked up over the last year while I was looking for the right AS to purchase. Now my dreams are coming true. Thank you for all your help
DBHent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHent View Post
So I need to buy a truck to pull my NEW 2017 25' Flying Cloud.
A couple bits of info would help. Is it a front or rear bedroom? Real world tongue weights differ quite a lot between those two.

How much weight needs to go into the truck when you are towing? People, pets, gear, etc. Airstreams do not have a ton of external storage so things like a generator often need to go in the truck.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
So I need to buy a truck to pull my NEW 2017 25' Flying Cloud AS and I am getting alot of help from everyone I speak to about it but they all have something different to say so getting extremely confused. The MAX axle is 7300 lbs so want to make sure that I have enough truck to pull without issues. I would appreciate any comments from others that have similar AS Trailers so that I can make an informed decision. You guys have so much knowledge that I have soaked up over the last year while I was looking for the right AS to purchase. Now my dreams are coming true. Thank you for all your help
Payload is an important consideration, and somewhat misrepresented by pickup manufacturers. The payload numbers you see touted on their websites are for very specific configurations, the one you will be interested in is printed on a placard on the driver's side door post and is the ACTUAL payload for the specific truck.

If you take a lot of extra stuff with you in the back of the truck, or typically have 4 people in the cab plus a reasonable amount of stuff in the box, you can eat through payload quickly. The tongue weight of the Airstream counts against payload too.

For me, the numbers work for a 26' trailer (with possibly LOWER tongue weight than a 25', some of the 25' layouts have a pretty heavy tongue) and a carefully-specified F150 with the 3.5-liter Ecoboost. Some people don't want to think about weight when loading up and go straight to an HD pickup, but there are tradeoffs there too... if you're a Ford or RAM customer, going 4WD on an HD pickup gets you a solid front axle and all the handling compromises inherent in that. HD trucks are taller and heavier and generally longer, all of which has an effect on usability but they also tend to have much more payload capacity. If it's a vehicle you're buying almost exclusively as a tow rig then these considerations are less important and it's all about the towing capabilities, but if you're also driving this vehicle to work with a tight parking garage, etc. then you think about the compromises.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
So I hope to go without too much additional weight - of course I will not know until I get to packing (lol). That said - the bed is in the front if that helps.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
So I hope to go without too much additional weight - of course I will not know until I get to packing (lol). That said - the bed is in the front if that helps.
My advice, is don't send a boy to do a man's job, when towing, especially "Bumper Pull" trailers, like all Airstreams are.
If trying to move weight to front axles of tow vehicle, your tow vehicle is too small.Or if weighing your socks+ T-shirts, etc etc
At least a 3/4 Ton truck.Looks like you'll be in the mountains also, not flat lands.
So, a Chevy 2500 or Ford F-250 etc etc .
Bigger is always better for any tow vehicle, especially bumper pulls ( non 5th Wheels).A F-350 would be nice.
You want the opportunity for the trailer to drive the truck, at the tiniest % possible.Smaller the truck, higher that % is.Load extra weight in front of axle(s) especially with bumper pull trailers, to avoid trailer sway.
Ideally, you would want to yank it with a Semi wrecker, but a regular wrecker would do, drop it on the ball bolted to back, and go..
Old 03-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
The quoted tongue weights are all unloaded. The front bedroom 25 gains more tongue weight when loaded than the rear. So if you do a bit of searching, you will see a lot of 1,000 lbs+ when loaded. That comes right off your truck's payload.

You will see a lot of advice like Mr. Cole's. It is a simple solution. I have no interest in the size nor driving characteristics of a 3/4 ton truck, but others love them. If the payload of a 1/2 ton you are interested in can handle the tongue weight and cargo you anticipate, you can make it work. Payload is printed on the tire inflation sticker. Figure out what you need in payload and go visit a dealer and open some doors. You can configure some lightly equipped 1/2 tons to have very substantial payloads, but those typically need to be ordered. Also check the weight rating of the receiver to be sure it can handle the tongue weight.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Bigger is always better for any tow vehicle, especially bumper pulls ( non 5th Wheels).
The blanket you throw sure covers a lot of varied situations.🤔

Cheese & crackers got all muddy...I never realized I was pulling with my bumper. 🥴
I always thought it was the receiver thats attached to the frame that was do'n the pull'n.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Bigger is always better for any tow vehicle,
No matter how many times that mantra is chanted on here it's simply not the case.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The blanket you throw sure covers a lot of varied situations.��

Cheese & crackers got all muddy...I never realized I was pulling with my bumper. ��
I always thought it was the receiver thats attached to the frame that was do'n the pull'n.��

Bob
����
Throw a tarp over those cheese+ crackers Bob ... brows:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeboater View Post
No matter how many times that mantra is chanted on here it's simply not the case.
Of course it's not, how could it be???
It's kinda like going bear hunting with a slingshot,everything's fine till you hit the bear...
Old 03-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
If you look around, the 25FB is well within the wheelhouse of a 1/2 ton vehicle when properly configured. Just as many people opt to tow with a 3/4. There's not necessarily a firm right or wrong on this.

It may help if you can share how you're using your trailer. Are you a full-timer (more weight/gear) or weekender. Do you need your vehicle to serve other purposes like commuting without the trailer? How many people are long for the trip? Additional preferences to brand/model/type?

Others have given you considerations. I'll add to that - fuel capacity/range as potentially a large discriminator for your choice. While many vehicles are capable of towing this, fuel capacity and range should considered if you are looking to travel farther and wider. Perhaps fuel type too as diesels provide additional efficiency but potentially with some compromises depending on what you're looking for. You'll find that if you look at that variable, the potential options narrows quite a bit.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Unless you are, like many, attached to a specific brand, you might consider the Nissan Titan XD. The truck was designed for a diesel power plant (now discontinued) so the frame and suspension is robust and the cabin soundproofing is superb.

With the 5.6 liter V8, you should have more than 2100# of payload in any trim. It will tow well north of 12000#. It will take you anywhere you want to go.

I have the diesel version (2016). It has about 64000 miles on it and has never been back to the dealer. It has all the usual gadgets and is very comfortable to travel in.

My one caveat — all of the guys on the Titan Forums driving gassers report everyday mileage of about 15mpg and towing mileage at around 11 mpg. With a 26 gallon fuel tank...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
One more thought in case you like adaptive cruise control. Some posts here have suggested that the adaptive part is disabled on GM products when in tow mode. It works in Ford products. Don't know about other brands.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
This comes up often in the forum, there are many threads with similar discussions, and this is another area where the jury is essentially split, so you will have to take it all in and then decide what’s most important to you and go from there. I have first hand experience towing a 25’ FC RBT, initially with an F150 (approx 2000 miles towing) and I upgraded to an F250 (approx 3500 miles towing). My reason for upgrade was primarily stability, with payload as a close second. I am in the camp of opinion that a 3/4 ton TV is much better suited for the 25’ and up. If you look purely at mfr tow ratings, all the 1/2 ton trucks appear to be easily capable, but until you drive one while towing your trailer, there is no way to fully appreciate the dynamic forces, and stability needed to safely tow in conditions like high wind. I’ve been there, and I vote 3/4 ton. Lots of people tow with 1/2 ton, I did for a while, but the next critical factor in safely doing so is how much towing experience you have, and how quickly can you recognize and anticipate towing problems ? I’m not saying it’s unsafe to tow with 1/2 ton, but I am of the opinion you need to be very confident and capable with understanding the impact of weight, including tongue weight, truck payload weight and towed weight. There are trade offs either way, keep digging in the threads for lots more opinion and feedback. Best of luck in your searching and decisions.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Goldilocks revisited

Having tried all three truck sizes for our 27ft FBT, i'll confirm what others have said and agree upon: actual payload is of great importance. Regardless of what the brochure and/or salesperson says - get your eyeballs on the door jamb sticker before you commit. Our F1500 platinum had 1428 payload and we loved all the bling, but the AS had a tongue weight of 1200, not the sub 1000 the literature said. So overestimate tongue weight and underestimate payload margin so you have room to grow - you will - and all should be well.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
1StreamDream said it perfectly in the post above. My scenario is almost exactly the same. I started with an F150 then went to a F250. Towing the same trailer.
Although it can be done with the 1/2 ton, the 3/4 provides a much better experience. You cannot put a price tag on peace of mind and it’s really hard to understand this unless you have towed with both trucks. The F250 is my daily driver too and I really don’t mind it.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
So some vote for HD trucks, based on anecdotal reasons. For every similar viewpoint, there's just as many that are satisfied and successful with 1/2-ton vehicles with no want for more. Including myself with a larger 27FB.

Does that speak to the F150 or spec of those F150s in particular? Gas vs Diesel (do we want to go there)? PPP or regular WD. Coke or Pepsi? These are discussed ad nauseum in other threads with no right or wrong, other than eyes wide open for the OPs consideration.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Littleton , Colorado
Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate all your help. Hope to see you out there some day soon.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
I started not that long ago with a 1/2 ton Tundra pulling a 25 ft FB. When I felt it start pushing my truck on steep grades, I knew I was skirting the limits of its capabilities. Yes, it would be fine in KS or FL but the mountains were calling.

With a great trade, consummated on AS forum, a RAM 2500 Diesel owner and I traded trucks. He was getting out of towing and wanted the Tundra.

After towing through the Rockies, I was expressly glad I wasn’t hooked up to the 1/2 ton Tundra. The engine braking and stability of the heavier truck created a much more confident environment.

Now, it doesn’t handle like a smaller truck, so if that’s your goal, get a 1/2 ton truck. If you want safety, stability, and increased piece of mind in all situations while towing, get the bigger TV.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
First I own a 25 ft FB 2012 Flying Cloud. I have been towing with our 2012 f250 diesel without any issues regarding weight. My point is if you purchase a vehicle in this size range whether it be diesel or gas you should have no issues regardless of what you carry this is just my opinion
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote