Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #61

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We are doing a lot of number crunching, how much we owe, how much it's worth, how much something else will cost, and the hard to put a number on fact that the Flex just looks a whole lot cooler than a mini-van. There's also the possibility that I feel more distrustful because I have read so many negative things online, but of course few people go online to praise something, they mostly go post when something is wrong. Tough to know what to do.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
We are doing a lot of number crunching, how much we owe, how much it's worth, how much something else will cost, and the hard to put a number on fact that the Flex just looks a whole lot cooler than a mini-van. There's also the possibility that I feel more distrustful because I have read so many negative things online, but of course few people go online to praise something, they mostly go post when something is wrong. Tough to know what to do.
Hi, look up anything on the internet and it will be filled with bad things, not just your Flex. I just joined the F-150 Ecoboost forum and so far I have only read complaints. Getting rid of your Flex might be just jumping out of the pot into the frying pan. [unless you plan on buying new] We had good luck buying two used vehicles but they were: (1.) Three years old, with less than 17,000 miles, and with a certified factory extended warranty. (2.) One and a half years old, with about 15,000 miles, and an existing factory warranty.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Steph,
I agree the Flex is a good looking vehicle. My neighbor has one and I look at it often, thinking it would look good pulling our Caravel. I like Ford vehicles, maybe it is partly because of their previous relationship with Mazda that I like them. As you know I have two Miatas. I have also owned a Mazda B2200 pickup and a Ford Ranger pickup. We bought our '03 F150 used to replace the Ranger several years ago. When I bought the F150, I was somewhat concerned that it would not be as reliable as the old ranger was. The only thing the ranger needed in the years that I owned it was a heater core. Everything else was routine maintenance. As it has turned out the F150 is just as reliable. It has the stubborn spark plugs that had to be replaced and I just replaced one coil pack. Other than that it has been trouble free with 120k on the clock. I do a lot of routine work myself, changing brake pads, oil changes etc. When any of my vehicles have to go to the shop I stay far away from dealerships! For the Miatas I use a mechanic that specializes in Miatas and other Japanese cars. For the truck I use a neighborhood mechanic that has been doing work for years for all types of vehicles. If they can't fix it they are great at recommending someone who can. If it runs over their estimate, they will call first and ask if I want to continue the work.

Our F150 is the last year of the old body style. That is part of my philosophy in buying used, is to by a model that has been out for a few years. I really like the newer style trucks, but the newer ones have even more electronics that can cause problems. I hope you get some resolution about your Flex. Try and independent shop before you trade it back in. Find somebody that specializes in transmission work, somebody that loves to do that and won't charge a fortune. They are out there, you just have to ask around and find the right mechanic. If all else fails trade the Flex for an F150 Supercrew.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #64

1968 17' Caravel
lol, we're trying to downsize here! If I could talk my hubby into it I would probably go back to another E150 van, just because they are primarily made for work, and so I suspect they really are made to take a beating. But it's nice to have double the gas mileage, and really our vehicle just hauls us and the dogs around 90% of the time, so we don't need anything heavy duty. The Flex does tow the Caravel very nicely! I was worried about going to a smaller vehicle (smaller than the van, anyway) but it is completely non-eventful. If anything it is much nicer just because the Flex is much nicer - quieter, smoother, just all around more relaxing to drive.

Buying the first year Flex was probably a mistake. I think we'll go ahead and fix what needs to be fixed and keep using it, because it does do a good job at what we need it for. IF things would stop breaking!

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Silly question, but...

...before I just start tugging...

...is there a trick to getting the upper engine cover off?

On a related note, what's a good source for a Service Manual?
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #66
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have you checked all of the TSB's that have been put out on the Ford Flex? Unfortunately, most car dealerships will not believe there is an issue with a vehicle unless there is a technical service bulletin, a computer code, or an obvious means to replicate said problem.

Hell, I had a long ongoing battle with my dealership that was overfilling my F150 with oil because it specifies that it holds 6 qts. Well guess what, it doesn't drain all 6 qts and the residual oil left in the engine will bring it up to 6.5 qts. This took months of arguing with them before they were able to accept the fact and now only add 5.5 qts. to an ecoboost engine.

Anyway, you may be stuck with the dealership if it is a warranty issue. Ford customer service is useless. It takes persistence to get things done sometimes, ...don't give up unless you are ready to trade it in on something else.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #67

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Silly question, but...

I haven't tried yet. But you might want to visit Ford Flex - 2009-2013 Flex Forum Photos Specs and more The Forums there are fairly active. You might get an answer before the day is out.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #68
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
Silly question, but...

Most of the top covers have a few bolts holding them on. Typcially they are on the "sides" of the engine. If you have a transverse mount they may be on the front and back. I know the ones on the F150/250/350 are on either side.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Some covers are made to just lift up. They are held in place by pins with shoulders and snap down into a rubber grommet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #70

1968 17' Caravel
After much discussion (and listening to that tranny noise), we are going to trade in the Flex. I think we will be tow-vehicle-less for a while, and instead will get a regular family car, probably something newer with a warranty that my husband can use for driving to work. Then next year we can look for an older Honda Odyssey in excellent condition to pick up to be mainly a tow vehicle.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Stephanie I would look at the Caravan or T&C. My 09 Caravan now has 170k and still ride and runs like a new car. I have had no major problems. Brakes and rotors a tune up at 140k. It tows our 66 Caravel great. I've got as high as 17.5 mpg towing. I avg. 14.5 mpg towing and 25-28 mpg not towing. Plus I love the stow and go seats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254 copy.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	229010

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #72

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks for that advice. When you stow the seats, does it have a flat loading area? I have to say, I shy away from the Chrystler minis because we had a Caravan back in the early 90s that wasn't great, but obviously they are completely different cars now.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Thanks for that advice. When you stow the seats, does it have a flat loading area? I have to say, I shy away from the Chrystler minis because we had a Caravan back in the early 90s that wasn't great, but obviously they are completely different cars now.
Yes the cargo area is flat in the caravan. Mine has 2 bucket seats and the third rear bench seat. All the rearseats stow independently. I have road camp out of my van for weeks with no problems. My van has a smaller engine only the 4 speed transmission. The new ones have a larger engine and a seven speed.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	229012

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Here is my van in road camp mode

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	229013

WBCCI 2169
TAC PA-1

Proud Owner of a
1966 Caravel
2015 Shasta Retro
Old 12-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The GCs are awesome for road camping. 8x4 flat space in the back means easy sleeping, with tons of storage space leftover. I wish they'd be around when I was younger, they would have made fantastic music festival campers.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Then next year we can look for an older Honda Odyssey in excellent condition to pick up to be mainly a tow vehicle.
You want to do your homework on those, too - some years of them had serious transmission issues (early 2000s I think, probably older than you'd be looking at, but it's worth knowing when you are looking).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I have done some checking on this "flex issue" primarily I know three people with them that love theirs so I looked into it a little more just as an FYI.

Since 2009 the Flex has been marketed as an SUV crossover- people hauler on a car frame. There are two distinct packages as far as towing is concerned. The standard model Flex, which Ford spells out as including aftermarket hitches and equipment added and the tow package model with significant upgrades. The standard model can haul up to 2000 lbs, the rest follows the car scheme as far as payload. The tow model can haul up to 4500 lbs with a class III and WD hitch -quite a difference. The tow package includes coolers, axles, etc. as I said, quite a different animal.

I do not know which one you have but I looked up the 1968 Caravel and oddly Airstream has TWO different weights listed for that model. SO, here tis:

Tongue 300 lbs. Weight 2460 (based on one of their ratings, the other says 2350) so around 2400 lbs. Is this the trailer weight or loaded weight (GVWR) I do not know.

At any rate, a standard Flex would be over specs hauling a 17' Caravel and that, would just be considering the weight factor, not transmission cooling, etc.

A standard Honda van is 3500 lbs. but they rate it strangely in the manual. They subtract any cargo, people, etc. from the towing figure rather than a payload and tow capacity separation. I will share that my coworkers, heavy campers, purchased a new Honda van in 2006 and a new 26ft SOB trailer and had extensive hitching work done to their van and burned it up their first trip out west somewhere halfway there. They tell the horror story and their remorse constantly. They told me not to buy a trailer but rather a class C as they ended up doing. They got rid of the van and bought a new Honda van again but just for commuting.

The problem is that nearly every vehicle sold now no longer has a frame to bear weight. They are like Honda, a triangular tube running down the middle (simplified) with things attached to that and rated a bit beyond their vehicular needs. Towing is most times not even recommended. Personally I would stay away from people haulers for towing- FWD vans, etc. Consider a used truck. I bought an '09 super crew that has room for six people inside with a bed than can be covered with a cap if need be for tons of space and, you could easily tow that Caravel without any concern. I was NOT a truck person but now that I have seen how it is like a full-size car inside and rides quite and nice, I'm OK with it. Once you lose that area of the third row in a flex for equipment, you basically have seating for five- six if you don't have that 2nd row console and you would gain 20" more wheelbase, a bit of width. MPG would be less with a truck but not too much. A used 2WD F150 like mine gets 13/21 actual rated 15/20 compared to 17/24 of the flex. A new model would be about the same as the Flex- a 2015. Add to that the multi-purposeness of a truck.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #78
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Fairy is truly dismayed by your Ford Flex Dilemma.

She's not a shoulda-woulda-coulda type, but if you do join the Dodge mini-van camp, she offered to take time off from her busy unicorn hauling schedule to fly out and dust it for you.

Just be sure to hide your hub-caps if you want to keep them...

Best Wishes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	caravan fairy.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	642.3 KB
ID:	229056  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #79

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The standard model can haul up to 2000 lbs, the rest follows the car scheme as far as payload. The tow model can haul up to 4500 lbs with a class III and WD hitch -quite a difference. The tow package includes coolers, axles, etc. as I said, quite a different animal.
I'm curious where you found that because I believe the only differences between tow equipped and non tow equipped is a little engine oil cooler. The Flex already has a transmission cooler for all models, and the suspensions are supposed to be the same.

Either way, we went the truck route for the last ten years, and it was overkill for us. We travel lightly, there's only us and two little dogs, and we don't carry a lot of stuff (in the TV or the trailer).

Either way, the towing has nothing to do with the issues we have had so far, except for worrying that towing is going to hasten whatever that noise is in the transmission, the thing tows beautifully. And it has hardly had to do any towing, we've only had three weekend trips with it. It's mostly just used for driving around.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #80
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Rod

I know there is a comfort level when you look under an F150 and see a frame. These days however that is very dated technology the real strength in any vehicle is the body structure. Of coarse in a pickup other than a Ridgeline there is no body structure so it has to use the old fashioned body on frame construction. 30 years ago when we were setting up Chev Caprices etc. for towing one of the things we would do is weld plates onto the rear rubber body mounts so they would not squash from the torsion bar pressure. The strength came from the body not the frame.

Another example is if you tow with a GM pickup you can feel the flex or whip in the truck frame, from the cab to the bumper there is no strength really you to pulling with a couple of diving boards. Drive a Suburban which is on the identical chassis and the flex goes away because of the body strength.

In our fleet at the moment are three vehicles with over 100,000 miles on them that have towed extensively two are unit body's a Chev Impala and a Dodge Charger the third is a 2500 2008 2WD dodge quad cab. The Impala and Charger are just about as tight and solid as they were when new the 2500 is full of rattles and has substantial chassis flex today.

One disadvantage of the chassis flex in a truck is that you would not get much added value from independent suspension. The reduction in unsprung weight would be helpful but the wider suspension stance would just result in more chassis twist.

There are lots of good reasons for many people to own a pick up but a frame is not one of them.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote