Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

marblehead , Massachusetts
Boston based installer of hand brakes

Does anyone know of a garage around Boston that installs the extra electrical brake unit for the towing vehicle to brake the Airstream by itself?

Thanks
Huub
Marblehead MA
Huub Valkenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think you're talking about a trailer-brake controller. A good (especially rural or small-town) dealership for your tow-vehicle brand is one option, and trailer shop would often also have that expertise.

Depending on what your tow vehicle is, though, it might be a simple thing for you to do as a DIY project or have any half-decent mechanic do. If you have a pickup with a factory tow package, odds are good that the basic wiring is already there and you just need the right adapter to go from the brake controller to the trailer wiring. I spent more time deciding the best place to put my Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller than actually installing it because my F150 already had a trailer wiring harness and I had the Prodigy-to-Ford adapter. It's only a complex project when you have to run your own wires and figure out the right places to tap into the tow vehicle's electrical system.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't have any experience with such businesses in the area, but from a quick search one of the first places I'd call to ask questions is The Trailer Shop in Danvers.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You could try Airstream of New England in Stoughton, MA near Foxboro and America's team The Patriots :-)

They're really Bay State Ford at 1776 Washington Street but they also became an Airstream dealer a few years ago. Their service department has been getting better and better over the years - I was very pleased with my last service there a couple months ago.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huub Valkenb View Post
Does anyone know of a garage around Boston that installs the extra electrical brake unit for the towing vehicle to brake the Airstream by itself?

Thanks
Huub
Marblehead MA
The brake controller that installs in the tow vehicle, is a very simple job.

Get a good controller, read the instructions that come with it, and enjoy.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The guys at Airstream of New England are rebuilding my Argosy MH and very capable of installing a brake controller (they are adding one to my MH).

An alternate is the guys at Drinkwater Trailer at Pembroke who supplied my hauler and installed the brake controller in my Tacoma when Toyota themselves said it wasn't needed. However with hindsight, and as David points out, I should have done that myself as the most complicated part was mounting the controller, which simply plugged into the existing harness.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The guys at Airstream of New England are rebuilding my Argosy MH and very capable of installing a brake controller (they are adding one to my MH).

An alternate is the guys at Drinkwater Trailer at Pembroke who supplied my hauler and installed the brake controller in my Tacoma when Toyota themselves said it wasn't needed. However with hindsight, and as David points out, I should have done that myself as the most complicated part was mounting the controller, which simply plugged into the existing harness.
(Please pardon the hijacking...)

That is a GREAT rebuild you're doing there!!!!! That is going to be one sweet MH!

I hope you'll still be in the States by May - the New England Unit is doing Chilly Man again May 1-3 at Salisbury Beach State Park. It is always a blast and I'm sure all of us - myself included - would love to see it live!!

The website is here: http://newengland.wbcci.net/ not sure if it'll been posted yet but hope to see you there if you can make it!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hopefully we will see you there!

I recently sent off an application to the NEU-WBCCI and hopefully the MH will be done by then, Martin
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I don't have any experience with such businesses in the area, but from a quick search one of the first places I'd call to ask questions is The Trailer Shop in Danvers.
Been there, many times. Nice folks, family business...they'll be able to fix you up, for sure.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote