Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question BMW X5 xDrive50i as tow vehicle?

Anyone have experience with BMW X5 xDrive50i as tow vehicle?

Looking to tow 5K UVW, 26 foot travel trailer, Blue Ox WDH.

Thanks!
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Not 50i, but 35d... X5 is an excellent ultimate towing machine. Towing 33 ft long Jayco trailer, ready to camp 7,000-7,300 lbs. I towed the trailer through Rockies, a couple of times through Sierras. I was not the fastest uphill, but I had no problem with getting to the destination.

Which model do you own? E70 or F15? With F15 you will need to install aftermarket hitch to use WDH. I have E70 and I did Can-am kind of hitch reinforcement.

I am wondering myself, how would V8 tow in comparison to diesel, as the next TV would be rather V8.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
No experience with the x50i. The challenge may be the tongue weight. Establish that and have a discussion with CanAm. May be necessary to upgrade the hitch/receiver.

The x50i likely has more than sufficient power. Which vintage X5, which hitch/receiver is installed on the X5, and the options on the X5 all combine to improve or degrade the individual X5's towing ability. Do some searches on the X5 here. Do same on Bimmerfest. Do searches for towing on Bimmerfest. Lots to learn.

Good Luck with your research. Pat

These threads may help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-163929-7.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-160973-2.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...x5-155007.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
I haven't towed with the 50i. I have towed with two BMWs, one an earlier X5.

I recently looked at an F15 X5. If we get it, it will be the 35i, not the 50i. More power than the diesel, which already has enough for towing. BMW factory tune available.

The X5 of any generation is an excellent towing platform. As bono says, consider which generation and which receiver to install. I didn't reinforce my receiver because it was an E53 model, with an incredibly strong factory receiver. Any later model after an E53 and I would reinforce it as bono has done.

Whichever receiver you use, I would use the BMW wiring kit for lights. I like the integration into the vehicle system.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
You may want to reach out to Andy Thomson at CanAm RV.

Recently, I asked his opinions for SUV's. His response, edited for brevity follows:

"There are several SUV's that handle much more precisely with the Airstream.

The VW Touareg, Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne ride and handle very nicely the Porsche is the best, Q7 is close behind and the Touareg almost as good.

The most popular one we are doing at the moment is the BMW X5 as you can still get a 3.0 Litre diesel in it. It handles as nicely as the Porsche.

In any of these you want the spring suspension instead of the Air Suspension option."

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Maple Valley , Washington
We are towing our 27" AS globetrotter with an Infinity QX80 and it has preformed wonderfully over 11,000 miles coast to coast last year. Tug weight was the issue with most SUV's. QX80 has a 850lb tug weight limit.
gcost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

What could be the reason for this? Currently I have spring suspension, but was planning to get air suspension in the next TV. At least in Mercedes GLS, I think this is standard in 550 version (i.e. air suspension), but I am be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
(...)
In any of these you want the spring suspension instead of the Air Suspension option."

Greg
Old 02-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
The self leveling air springs reduce the weight transfer from the WD hitches. Google it as it is discussed in a few threads.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Thanks! Learning something new every day.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #10
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
The self leveling air springs reduce the weight transfer from the WD hitches. Google it as it is discussed in a few threads.
Exactly. Put another way, they address a symptom (rear end sag) instead of the problem (front axle/rear axle weight distribution). In addressing that symptom, they can mask the problem.

I would always opt for steel springs.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
I tow my '67 Caravel (2500+ lbs) with my E70 4.8i with rear air suspension. I don't use any kind of towing aids and like the fact that the vehicle self levels. Factory hitch is rated for 6000 lbs towing with a maximum of 600 lb tongue weight. It is not reinforced. No issues, perfect towing, no swaying. If I had a larger trailer, I would probably use towing aids.

I am currently thinking of replacing the X5 with an F15 model and want the air suspension. Outfitted the way I want it is about $70k new and hard to find used with low miles. But, I am patient.

March 14 heading to Big Bend (LaJitas) from Austin for a week with the Caravel riding behind the X5....
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

When the next model G05 is launched this fall, F15 prices will go down a bit.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I can understand the use of a conventional spring to eliminate a possible point of failure and to reduce cost of acquisition. Can not see a reason for reduced weight transfer. Spent a short time looking at the Google hits. Not finding the concern with weight distribution capacity. At least until I learn more, I do not believe this information is valid. Pat
Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
I can understand the use of a conventional spring to eliminate a possible point of failure and to reduce cost of acquisition. Can not see a reason for reduced weight transfer. Spent a short time looking at the Google hits. Not finding the concern with weight distribution capacity. At least until I learn more, I do not believe this information is valid. Pat
The issue is that when the WD equipment is being set up and adjusted to transfer weight, it is often done by measuring the height of the fender, as an example. If the air suspension is engaged and actively levelling, it can make the vehicle appear level when weight has not yet been transferred by the WD equipment.

An alternative is to use scales instead of measuring the height.

It is possible to use an air suspension with WD equipment, it is just a complicating factor. You resolve this by turning it off.

The phrase I used was that it can mask the problem, not that it definitely will do so. It isn't a capacity issue, rather a setup issue. And if you end up with air suspension, it won't mask a problem if you turn it off while doing setup of the WD equipment.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
JCL - So, no issue with air suspension and weight transfer. Thanks for your input. Pat
Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM   #16
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
JCL - So, no issue with air suspension and weight transfer. Thanks for your input. Pat
No issues with weight distribution capacity, which was your question. There are potentially issues with reaching that capacity, but there are workarounds such as turning it off.

I would rather use my available payload for carrying my things, rather than use it to carry around a compressor that I have to regularly turn off anyway.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
IMHO, the appropriate method to tune weight distribution is to weigh the rig at a CAT scale or similar facility. No work around for air suspension is required with that method.

Understand that payload, acquisition cost, and potential of repairs may shift your perspective with respect to air suspension options. That a nice thing about BMW. You can get it just about any way you want it. Pat
Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

As far as I remember, E70 with air suspension has higher payload than steel suspension. Therefore, if there are no issues with weight distribution, I would configure the next car for towing with air suspension.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
There's a lot of information on the German SUV's as tow vehicles in this thread. It's long so check out the last two pages and note the comments from Andy. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...134917-42.html
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1765730

Here is information on higher payload for X5 with air suspension. I thought I saw it somewhere... it was my post.