Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #41
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Bono - my apology. Please, ignore the F15 specific suggestions.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Finally, after over one year, I managed to visit CAT scale with my trailer. After slight dial in the car is:

- max on my front axle (within the tires limits)
- 300 lbs over the limit on the rear axle (within the tires limits)
- 500 lbs over approved GVW

My tongue weight was 940 lbs distributed 100 lbs to the front axle and 180 lbs to trailer axles.

I had one additional adult, dog and spare tire on board. I can decrease the tongue weight by 100 lbs easily as I had some luggage in the front of the trailer. After some shuffling, I can get the combo within the axle limits, probably 200-300 lbs over the payload.

For what it’s worth, the combo is super stable. I towed it for over 8k miles, including a drive from Indiana to California. No problem with power, the only “issue” was with a slight sag in the back – I installed spring inserts and problem solved.

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Centreville , VA
Hi Bono, I guess this answers my questions. So being 500lbs over your GVWR doesn't bother you from a safety/excess wear standpoint?
EDWARD W LUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Nothing bothers bono, he is an oracle in every sense of the word. He and people like him comprehend more than the combined intelligence of the the entire BMW, MB, Porsche, VW and Audi engineering divisions.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #45
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD W LUI View Post
Hi Bono, I guess this answers my questions. So being 500lbs over your GVWR doesn't bother you from a safety/excess wear standpoint?
I would worry more about GVWR if I was a commercial carrier, as GVWR has legal implications for those uses, from a vehicle tax and licensing perspective.

For a non commercial carrier, the more relevant limits are tire and axle ratings.

Here is a hypothetical. Load up the TV to GVWR and hitch up a trailer with a 500 lb load. That will be within manufacturer ratings. From the vehicle’s perspective, what is different than simply loading 500 lbs more into the vehicle, as long as TV tire and axle ratings are not exceeded? Same load on the power train and brakes. Same wear.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Short answer is no, I am not concerned about it. These cars are designed to drive on autobahn up to 155 mph all day long. They are overbuilt. Small portion of the time we used them for towing would not affect the wear in a way I would worry about. My car is 9 years old and over 100k miles. I was not planning to keep the car that long, as I would prefer to have another BMW which is under warranty. However, the vehicle tows / drives so well that I just do not want to change anything for worse.

Safety? Look how many pickups are towing around. They should be concerned about safety. Primitive suspension, poor handling, poor braking, very often hitch not dialed in (hitch up and go mentality among many truck drivers) - no, I am not concerned about safety... unless there is an expert who does not know how to merge the highway (two times I had an emergency braking) or there is expert around towing 80 mph, because this is highway speed and his truck is rated to tow certain trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD W LUI View Post
Old 09-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
jcl, bono was also 300 over the rear axle limit and at max on the front.... What bono is doing boarders on indefensible.

Indeed, people who think they are smarter than and know more than the vehicle designers such that they can safely tow oversized trailers generally have such strong egos they are certain that if they experience a towing failure it will have been the fault of someone else or a component failure (likely due to an engineering design failure), they will never admit to themselves they were perhaps unwise to push past the limits.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard , Texas
?

Have him explain it to the plaintiff's attorney.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Yeah, yeah, you forgot to mention potential problem with insurance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafitte View Post
Have him explain it to the plaintiff's attorney.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Some words about truck handling: Stability refers to the ability to maintain control in an emergency situation where the vehicle continues to respond to driver and computer input. Instability is where the vehicle careens out of control in spite of driver or computer input. Unrefined, uncomfortable, or jarring feel are not indicators of instability they are inherent characteristics of vehicles designed to haul heavy loads. Nor is the opposite of crisp, comfortable smoothness assurance of stability. Likewise proper setup has most impact on comfort and ride whereas the fundamentals tend to impact stability. If you follow bono's observations, you'll tend to develop overconfidence on the wrong considerations. Instead pay more attention to the fundamental limits suggested by those who know the vehicle best, the designers.