Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
BMW 2020 X5 4.0i

Hey guys,

My wife and I are looking to get our first Airstream. Right now, we're still in the "trying to make sense of all the floorplans and decide what we want" phase.

We've narrowed down to Globetrotter 25, 27 or (maybe 30 with its gorgeous open living area) or a Flying Cloud 30 Bunk. We have a 13-year-old daughter so need to consider sleeping arrangements and privacy for a teenager. The FC30 Bunk looks hard to beat for family travel.

So, no, we're not looking at a Bambi or Sport or anything smaller than 23 at a bare minimum based on how we like to travel. We rented a 28' International Signature a few years ago for a one week trip out west and the size felt just about right. Our TV included with the rental was a 2016 Tahoe XLT. It was a little sketchy as we made our way to the North Rim - had to keep it under 50 MPH, but the ride quality was nice.

We recently purchased a 2020 BMW X5 4.0i and opted for the factory-installed Class III hitch, welded directly to the frame. The tow weight rating is 7200 lbs.

Seems that almost any trailer we're considering is pushing the weight limit. The 30' Bunk that I'm leaning to is rated at 8800 lbs. If we could live with the 23 or 25 GT, maybe the X5 could handle the load. But we're not sure.

The only other option seems to be to purchase a new TV. I like the Sierra 1500 Denali, but seems that popular opinion is to go for the 2500 HD. Doing this would almost double the overall cost of the Airstream. And I doubt that anything would match up to the amazingly comfortable and quiet ride of the X5 (with acoustic glass).

Looking for advice. Anyone on here towing with the 2020 X5 and factory hitch? What size AS can we get away with?

Thanks!
dlfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Not directly related to your question, but....

We have a FC30 Bunk. We really like how the back of the trailer seals off for a "2nd bedroom", giving the kids a modicum of privacy. Fully loaded, the CAT scales tell me we're less than 8000lb trailer weight, even on multi-week trips. But that's not the constraint. For us, payload capacity is the limiting factor that pushes us to HD truck. Trailer tongue weight, 4 passengers, 2 dogs, bicycles, firewood, etc. add up quickly. Do your best to calculate/estimate all your towing parameters and then decide if want to try to make the X5 work for you.

My wife drives a 2017 X5 diesel. While I'm sure the car could pull our AS quite nicely (especially with the ProPride hitch), that vehicle has far too little interior space for the 4+2 of us and all of our travel gear (snacks, electronics, books, etc.).

Good luck with your decision!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Plantation , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
Not directly related to your question, but....

We have a FC30 Bunk. We really like how the back of the trailer seals off for a "2nd bedroom", giving the kids a modicum of privacy. Fully loaded, the CAT scales tell me we're less than 8000lb trailer weight, even on multi-week trips. But that's not the constraint. For us, payload capacity is the limiting factor that pushes us to HD truck. Trailer tongue weight, 4 passengers, 2 dogs, bicycles, firewood, etc. add up quickly. Do your best to calculate/estimate all your towing parameters and then decide if want to try to make the X5 work for you.

My wife drives a 2017 X5 diesel. While I'm sure the car could pull our AS quite nicely (especially with the ProPride hitch), that vehicle has far too little interior space for the 4+2 of us and all of our travel gear (snacks, electronics, books, etc.).

Good luck with your decision!
This is definitely helpful. Thank you.
dlfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfphoto View Post
Hey guys,

Looking for advice. Anyone on here towing with the 2020 X5 and factory hitch? What size AS can we get away with?

Thanks!
Oh for sure, there are a lot of Airstreamers towing with an X5 and for 26' and under, for short wheel base vehicles they are among the best as long as you give it some healthy anti-sway support. Of the vehicles I have looked at in detail only the Porsche Cayenne is better, and perhaps a couple of the Mercedes again with sway control. Many who tow with X5's will tell you they can tow 33' and more with a few modifications, and that they feel sure and firm and they will under normal circumstances. However the X5 is dialed in for handling unburdened and when you put torque on the rear axle from a trailer it experiences over steer in high g force avoidance swerves once trailer weight exceeds 7000 lbs and tongue weight approaches 900 lbs. So if you're a stunt driver no problem, if not, you probably want to hold it to the 7200 BMW recommends. Also the engine and transmission does heat up just a bit on the steepest passes out west when hauling near max.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
OP, be careful who you are listen to. There are some self-claimed experts on this forum. I would rather stick to advice from Can-Am RV or somebody, who has a real life experience with a similar car / trailer.

You can check posts from withidl on this forum, who towed a large AS with BMW X5 E53 for many years. I am towing Jayco trailer (33 long) with X5 E70. It tows great, but any AS will tow easier due to lower center of gravity and better aero profile. Please let me know, if you have any questions.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
We have the same vehicle (2020 X5xDrive 40i) with the front and rear air suspension due to the 3rd row seat & with the factory tow package. The biggest hurdle is actually getting factual data. Bimmepost.com and bimmerfest.com G05 X5 subforms have been great, as has this website. The tongue weight and use of weight distribution is sore subject. I believe the factory hitch allows for the WD hitch and the tongue weight limit is 720 pounds along with it. However, I'm simply unsure as the specifications are confusing. The tow package comes with a harness under the dash for a brake controller. The harness is a flat four plug and BMW has not yet released the OE brake controller. However, on bimmerpost.com, there is a thread on how to make a pigtail using ECS tuning plug and pinned wires - about $20 and uses the BMW plug.

We're renting a trailer at the end of June to try out the X5. A 28' Grand Design 2400BH (~5,700 unloaded and 7,500 GVWR) that currently has a 650 pound tongue weight. I've ordered two brake controllers from etrailer.com as well as the LED light adapter in case the X5 doesn't like the LED trailer lights. The one controller is the Tekonsha RF wireless model and the other is a Curtis unit that uses a round dial that can be mounted anywhere and a control box that goes under the dash. I'm still not sure which one I'll use, but I want to limit the negative impact of the X5's interior.

Quote:
Hey guys,

My wife and I are looking to get our first Airstream. Right now, we're still in the "trying to make sense of all the floorplans and decide what we want" phase.

We've narrowed down to Globetrotter 25, 27 or (maybe 30 with its gorgeous open living area) or a Flying Cloud 30 Bunk. We have a 13-year-old daughter so need to consider sleeping arrangements and privacy for a teenager. The FC30 Bunk looks hard to beat for family travel.

So, no, we're not looking at a Bambi or Sport or anything smaller than 23 at a bare minimum based on how we like to travel. We rented a 28' International Signature a few years ago for a one week trip out west and the size felt just about right. Our TV included with the rental was a 2016 Tahoe XLT. It was a little sketchy as we made our way to the North Rim - had to keep it under 50 MPH, but the ride quality was nice.

We recently purchased a 2020 BMW X5 4.0i and opted for the factory-installed Class III hitch, welded directly to the frame. The tow weight rating is 7200 lbs.

Seems that almost any trailer we're considering is pushing the weight limit. The 30' Bunk that I'm leaning to is rated at 8800 lbs. If we could live with the 23 or 25 GT, maybe the X5 could handle the load. But we're not sure.

The only other option seems to be to purchase a new TV. I like the Sierra 1500 Denali, but seems that popular opinion is to go for the 2500 HD. Doing this would almost double the overall cost of the Airstream. And I doubt that anything would match up to the amazingly comfortable and quiet ride of the X5 (with acoustic glass).

Thanks!
WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
6,602 pounds towing capacity

Last weekend, we also purchased a BMW X5 xDrive40i 3.0L V6, the all wheel drive gas model. Unfortunately, the specs show a towing capacity of only 6,602 pounds.

If you Google search you'll find it says "up to" 7,200 lbs and 7,200 is reserved for the RWD and the M50i.

Fortunately, 6,602 pounds is more than adequate for our 2019 Airstream Nest, which is 4,000 pounds fully loaded.

Your options are the Caravel 23FB, which is 5,000 lbs, and any Airstream that's lighter than that.

Reference: https://www.bmwofnorthhaven.com/2020...wing-capacity/
RickyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
WhereItsAt, You are correct about the BMW guidance on tongue weight and Weight Distribution for the 3rd seat option (with Air Suspension).
Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyV View Post
Last weekend, we also purchased a BMW X5 xDrive40i 3.0L V6, the all wheel drive gas model. Unfortunately, the specs show a towing capacity of only 6,602 pounds.

If you Google search you'll find it says "up to" 7,200 lbs and 7,200 is reserved for the RWD and the M50i.

Fortunately, 6,602 pounds is more than adequate for our 2019 Airstream Nest, which is 4,000 pounds fully loaded.

Your options are the Caravel 23FB, which is 5,000 lbs, and any Airstream that's lighter than that.

Hey, I didn't know BMW x5 4.0i came with a V6? I thought they were I6.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
OP, be careful who you are listen to. There are some self-claimed experts on this forum. I would rather stick to advice from Can-Am RV or somebody, who has a real life experience with a similar car / trailer.

You can check posts from withidl on this forum, who towed a large AS with BMW X5 E53 for many years. I am towing Jayco trailer (33 long) with X5 E70. It tows great, but any AS will tow easier due to lower center of gravity and better aero profile. Please let me know, if you have any questions.
bono forgot to mention he thinks anyone towing at 65mph, the most common trailer limit in the US, is crazy. He tows comfortably well below 65 and you can too. If you keep your speed below about 56-57, avoid traffic, don't get in the way of other drivers who may not react well to your low speed, and avoid hard cornering, you can successfully tow a 33 or 34 footer too.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
I understand your confusion as BMW makes it difficult to understand the limits of each vehicle. However, if opted for from BMW when built, the 7,200 tow package is available on every model. If not opted from the factory, the limit is 6,600 pounds and it's recommended not to use a weight distribution hitch without the tow package. Additionally, adding the third row increases the payload capacity, and I believe, the tongue weight capacity. I'm still unsure if the 720 pound limit comes from the tow package or third row, actually.

The 7,200 pound tow limit boils down to this. If the tow package was added at the factory, 7,200 capability. If not added at the factory, 6,600 is the limit. It's independent of the drivetrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyV View Post

Old 05-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
I don't believe BMW has ever made a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Hey, I didn't know BMW x5 4.0i came with a V6? I thought they were I6.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
After traveling through Germany and seeing many trailers being towed by BMW’s, none were as large as the AS’s you’re planning to buy. Most were 16 ft. and smaller.

There are many on this forum with far more knowledge than I about towing, so with that I’ll close.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
The bunk house 30' is our favorite model, but is well outside the capability of any BMW's. We are deciding between the Flying Cloud 26' and a Grand Design 23BHE. The Airstream is our preference due to lower height and less slab sided, along with a much better interior. However, the downside is no bunk option and heavier to begin by about 900 pounds. The GD is mid grade trailer, but the 23MBE comes with bunks. Overall length is just under 28'. The quality is what you would expect, but not bad. However, GD does tend to have a good reputation for quality and customer service, as far as I can tell from the owners website mygranddesignDOTcom. They even have Jamborees where the factory is onsite and doing needed checks and repairs if scheduled in advance.

We're renting a similar GD model, the 2400BH next month. It's nearly 29', a few hundred pounds heavier, but damn near the same throughout. The rental is less than a year old and should provide a good example of what we THINK we want. We have one child left in the house and are thinking that we could endure the GD for a few years, then possibly move to an airstream when she rushes out to University. The cost of the GD is at a price point that would minimize risk and provides the bunks for more comfortable trips for us all.

As you look, keep in mind that the tow rating is 7,200, but the tongue weight is 720 pounds, max. Trailer tongue weights add up quickly and that will limit trailers. The Globetrotter line is out of spec for the X5. The 25' is over 800 pound tongue weight empty. The flying Cloud works, however.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 07:40 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Hi I own this car. The factory hitch isn't welded to the car. It's bolted.

With the factory installed hitch option you get do get 7200# towing capacity. Larger rear brakes (smaller than m-sport though) and a transmission cooler are also included.

The specified tongue weight is limited to 551 pounds and weight distribution is prohibited on the factory hitch per BMW's specifications. Every trailer you've listed exceeds that.

The Airstream currently makes only two trailers with two axels which can be reasonably loaded and remain under the BMW tow specifications are the 23FB models of the International Serenity and Flying Cloud (not globetrotter, I assume due to the electronic awning, jacks and additional cabinetry). I have the Flying Cloud.

The BMW specifications for your trailer with 3 rows of seats (specs can be found on page 405-406 of the attached owners manual):

Approved rear axle load lbs 3,858
Approved gross vehicle weight lbs 6,691
You have the capacity of 1,246 lbs of load

Attached is a picture of the sticker of the towing specifications on a 2020 x40i factory installed hitch (taken off the car in my garage)

If you want a 25ft+ airstream on an unaltered BMW factory installed hitch and you want to remain within BMW specs, you're SOL you need a different tow vehicle.

There are a number of people, myself included that feel there is some wiggle room in the numbers above, however I am not an automotive engineer by training nor a hitch and towing professional so I will defer to people who have those qualifications.

Happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5537.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	368782  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2020-bmw-x5-76636.pdf (6.75 MB, 108 views)
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
Like I said, the information is confusing. And your information has caused me to contact BMWNA as the new BMW has less capability than the F generation if the numbers are indeed 551 pound tongue weight maximum. Thanks for the information!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Highlands , North Carolina
my bmw

As you can see from this forum, I asked the question about my 2018 X5i with an aftermarket hitch to pull my 2020 20ft caravel. Comments were so very helpful, and I made the decision to try and pull my new Airstream from Florida to my high mountain home in North Carolina.

With suggestions from this forum, I bought the proper hitch with sway bars, etc ($800 installed to my existing reciever) Aside from the diminished gas mileage, I barely knew the trailer was there. I used sports mode going up really steep mountains, and I used the downhill descent mode when coming down steep hills.

I live in a community where trucks are not allowed, and in my business, it would not be appropriate to drive up in a truck, and my other car (a Porsche) is only for fun sunny days. Also, I am single, and pulling up for a date in a truck would probably scare off potential future ex-husbands. I loved the ability to park my camper in a state park, and on rainy days, zoom zoom zoom around the curvy mountain roads. I liked it so much, that I am trading my 2018 for the new 2020 with factory hitch. You are right, I called BMW north america and was told the model you have in 35 HP stronger, and has a towing capacity of 7200.

My question to you please, how do you like the 2020 X5i40? The one I wanted is arriving on Saturday, and I have not made a commitment yet. I'd love a review.

The downside, once I realized how much I love camping in the airstream, and I walked around the campsites speaking with others, I realized all the fun items I was missing! A mini big green egg grill, (65 lbs) a Sole Stove fire ring (30 lbs) my bicycle, my fly rod, an ATV.... and on and on... So a truck makes more sense for all the accessories I can't live without LOL. Otherwise I will overload my poor little European beauty.

Kathleen

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Piddleplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
Congratulations. The G05 is a great vehicle. We have the insulated glass and the interior is whisper quiet at highway speeds. The seats are 18 way adjustable and extremely comfortable. The straight 6 is silky smooth and power comes on strong at every RPM. Other than the tongue weight, we love it.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereItsAt View Post
Like I said, the information is confusing. And your information has caused me to contact BMWNA as the new BMW has less capability than the F generation if the numbers are indeed 551 pound tongue weight maximum. Thanks for the information!
Please keep us posted on what you find. I would be specifically curious as to what the difference is between the load capacity is between an X5 with 3rd row & air suspension and just air suspension alone is. There is not a single part difference which could account for the ~500#s in additional load the 3rd row seats gives you. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Additional vehicle changes with the factory tow package.

- Rear differential assembly. (Same diff used in the 4.4L V8 x5 with towing as well)
- Rear axel assembly (Same as the m50i X5 with towing package)