Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #101
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
It’s cute that you are critical of TUV tests in crosswinds when your much vaunted SAE tests specifically excludes crosswinds. The TUV test cares more about stability than SAE, including a requirement for electronic sway control. It is also based on an independent inspection of the tow vehicle and trailer together, and isn’t just a test of a representative sample, run by the manufacturer, like the SAE uses.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The SAE steering wheel snap test imparts an impulse response that simulates a gust of wind. It's not perfect but it will reveal a sway stability issue. Active sway control is nice but there is wisdom in the old saying that an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I were an engineer advising the TUV I would not accept software and brakes that don't act on the source as a solution. If I took that approach with my designs, stuff would break and people would die. I am continually surprised by your lack of confidence in the hard working engineers and technicians who design systems that keep you alive. And yet you somehow put your life in their hands just the same. Very odd. I suppose ignorance is bliss.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #103
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
The SAE steering wheel snap test imparts an impulse response that simulates a gust of wind. It's not perfect but it will reveal a sway stability issue. Active sway control is nice but there is wisdom in the old saying that an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I were an engineer advising the TUV I would not accept software and brakes that don't act on the source as a solution. If I took that approach with my designs, stuff would break and people would die. I am continually surprised by your lack of confidence in the hard working engineers and technicians who design systems that keep you alive. And yet you somehow put your life in their hands just the same. Very odd. I suppose ignorance is bliss.
If you were an engineer working with TUV you would be constrained to not have electric trailer brakes, or WD equipment. To work with something like 5% tongue weight. And you would still certify specific combinations for 100 km/hr on Euro roadways. Certify. Including the current X5. Do you consider that WD and trailer brakes provide no additional safety factor?

As a retired member of the SAE, I have confidence in the engineers who designed my machines, thanks, I don’t know why you came up with that. I also appreciate the limitations of the SAE towing test standard. I think you are simply trying to create a diversion, a strawman. And as to the marketers, now that is a different story
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:18 AM   #104
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Highlands , North Carolina
Terrified

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyV View Post
Trip completed! Thank you to everyone on this thread -- I've learned a lot, and laughed a lot at my non-precise data (375 lbs/ft torque, V6 engine, etc.). Here are my final observations, learnings and recommendations vis-a-vis a 2020 BMW X5 and towing an AS.

My observations and learnings can be summed up in two statements.

1. I can take a nap while my wife drives our 2020 BMW X5, without reading postings from this thread, without me coaching her on when to down shift if she's not getting enough power to pull our sub -5,000 lbs trailer, without telling her we should have bought a truck.

2. After we setup at our camp base, and detach the AS, we can accelerate through the twisties with the the panoramic sunroof wide-open as if we had towed our convertible sports car to the campgrounds.

(The only other vehicle that I would think would have the same or better two results would be the Porsche Cayenne)

And my (I know that some on this thread may disagree) recommendation: If you have a 2020 BMW X5, with a factory installed hitch, then tow an AS with a GVWR of less than 5,500 lbs, and hitch weight less than 550 lbs.

Thanks everyone!
I after pulling my 2020 20’ caravelle with my 2018 BMWx5 I I realized I needed to do my part to stimulate the economy, so I traded for the new BMW x5i 40 AWd with factories hitch 35 more HP and better equipped for towing
I hooked up my trailer and was told I needed to install a brake controller I had one in my other BMW since I installed an aftermarket hitch I thought the 7 prong connecter on the hitch was all I needed so I took back to BMW and was told that there was not one available I took it to a hitch company and they could not find where to hook up the control I thought there would be a connection under the dash
I card BMW North America and was told it was not legal to tow a trailer that weighed more then my vehicle
I called back and was told there is a controller already on the vehicle but they couldn’t tell me where
I am supposed to head out to Smokey mountain on Saturday and I am terrified of the trailer pushing me off the downhill run
I was also told if I installed a controller it would void my warranty
Please please, any help is again appreciated
Piddleplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #105
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piddleplace View Post
I after pulling my 2020 20’ caravelle with my 2018 BMWx5 I I realized I needed to do my part to stimulate the economy, so I traded for the new BMW x5i 40 AWd with factories hitch 35 more HP and better equipped for towing
I hooked up my trailer and was told I needed to install a brake controller I had one in my other BMW since I installed an aftermarket hitch I thought the 7 prong connecter on the hitch was all I needed so I took back to BMW and was told that there was not one available I took it to a hitch company and they could not find where to hook up the control I thought there would be a connection under the dash
I card BMW North America and was told it was not legal to tow a trailer that weighed more then my vehicle
I called back and was told there is a controller already on the vehicle but they couldn’t tell me where
I am supposed to head out to Smokey mountain on Saturday and I am terrified of the trailer pushing me off the downhill run
I was also told if I installed a controller it would void my warranty
Please please, any help is again appreciated
This is so ridiculous, you're not voiding your warranty, they include the plug in the wiring harness. You absolutely need to install a brake controller. The plug you're looking for is above the left kick panel. Remove the cover above the pedals, watch out there is an airbag down there, and look up and to the left. There are 4 wires, 12+, ground, brake switch, trailer brake output. Every piece of information you need to wire this up can be found in this link https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1610985

Alternatively you can always use a wireless controller.

With the factory installed hitch you're limited to 7,209 pounds of towing - this is on page 404 of your owners manual. Best I can tell the differential, transmission cooler, rear brakes and axels are upgraded with the factory hitch install.

Unsure what the people at BMWNA were smoking but it's all in the manual.
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #106
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Sammamish , Washington
Dear Terrified

The ONLY brake controller that will work is a wireless one. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that explains why.

I purchased the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy, and I love it. The only thing is you need to use a special process (which I documented somewhere in this thread) to pair it with your 2020 X5.

Your backup plan, which I almost had to use, is to use your engine to brake on downhill slopes by downshifting. However, you wont have enough time to downshift if a car breaks suddenly in front of you. That’s where a brake controller really pays off.
RickyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Quote:
The ONLY brake controller that will work is a wireless one. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that explains why.

I purchased the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy, and I love it. The only thing is you need to use a special process (which I documented somewhere in this thread) to pair it with your 2020 X5.

Your backup plan, which I almost had to use, is to use your engine to brake on downhill slopes by downshifting. However, you wont have enough time to downshift if a car breaks suddenly in front of you. That’s where a brake controller really pays off.
I do not believe this is accurate. This is the 2020 X5 wiring diagram specifically showing the connections for the hard wired trailer brake connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200127_133732_resized.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	369828  
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #108
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South , Texas
There is a plug under the drivers side dash for a brake controller if the tow package is added (may be there for standard models, not certain). BMW has a controller in the works, it's not for sale as yet, like the did in previous generations.

Quote:

WhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #109
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Sammamish , Washington
The ONLY brake controller for a 2020 BMW X5

Oops, I forgot that the audience on this thread requires kit gloves when making strong non-precise statements one way or another

Let me re-state: For me (accepting that many on this thread would disagree), the only brake controller option for a 2020 BMW X5 is a wireless one.

I am not good at studying wiring diagrams, finding opposite gender connectors to lonely receptacles under my dash, splicing and twisting wires, or searching endlessly on Google for that “plug and play” brake controller.

I chose the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy because it did not require the talent or time that most on this thread have, and it is easily portable to my “next” AS and tow vehicle.
RickyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #110
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Quote:
Oops, I forgot that the audience on this thread requires kit gloves when making strong non-precise statements one way or another

Let me re-state: For me (accepting that many on this thread would disagree), the only brake controller option for a 2020 BMW X5 is a wireless one.

I am not good at studying wiring diagrams, finding opposite gender connectors to lonely receptacles under my dash, splicing and twisting wires, or searching endlessly on Google for that “plug and play” brake controller.

I chose the Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy because it did not require the talent or time that most on this thread have, and it is easily portable to my “next” AS and tow vehicle.
My son had the complete BMW tow package (hardware, wiring, and reprogramming) installed by BMW on his X6M, and they stated it was "all he needed" we have not verified any brake operation, but kind of a dangerous statement by the dealer to say the least if there is no brake signal on the 7 pin connector. We did discover that even with empty propane tanks the tonque weight of our 20' FC exceeds his 600 lb capacity, so he will be looking for something smaller. The Dynamic Suspension or whatever it is leveled the rear suspension and front only rose by 1/8" at 640 lb tongue weight.