Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
My Ď18 GMC diesel has the DEF fill under the hood so itís inconvenient either way. More inconvenient at the truck stops as I have to pull forward enough to pump diesel and then back up enough to reach under the hood.
I carry the blue DEF in a box in the bed of my truck and fill at my leisure at the camp site or my garage.

I usually refill before I get any warning. I carry an empty 1.5 liter wine botttle / a funnel / fill the wine bottle about 7 times and Iím done. More relaxing to me than the truck stops.
Hi Jim,

Emptying the 1.5 wine bottle would make me relaxed for any situation!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Good point, Non use will lead to injector plugging and crystallization in the pump and lines. Occasional short distance driving should avoid these issues.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we have to buy the bottles of DEF, we have been buying the WalMart Duper Tech DEF. It is $6.98 for the 2.5 gallon bottle. That comes out to $2.79 per gallon which is sometimes less expensive that at the pump.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
When i purchased my 2017 F250 with 6.7 diesel, I was told by the service manager that using Ford DEF was way better for the engine than other brands. Based on your chemistry tutorial this statement from the Ford guy seems false.

Iíd love to save a few bucks and have more convenient DEF options. More thoughts from this trusted group?
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
DEF is a solution of urea and water and degrades to ammonia which is not very effective at controlling NOx. So old DEF won't harm the exhaust system, it just won't control pollution very well.
The chemistry lesson might be correct, but the impact definitely is not. Three years ago, I traveled extensively for work and then didn't go anywhere in my truck. I only put 2100 miles on a 2015 Duramax that year. The DEF sat in my truck in my garage for the hot Houston summer. AMHIK.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
My ‘18 GMC diesel has the DEF fill under the hood so it’s inconvenient either way. More inconvenient at the truck stops as I have to pull forward enough to pump diesel and then back up enough to reach under the hood.
I carry the blue DEF in a box in the bed of my truck and fill at my leisure at the camp site or my garage.

I usually refill before I get any warning. I carry an empty 1.5 liter wine botttle / a funnel / fill the wine bottle about 7 times and I’m done. More relaxing to me than the truck stops.
Because of the DEF filler neck under the hood on my 2015 Duramax I avoid filling it when the engine is hot, especially here in Texas during the summer. It's not fun. I like the idea of using wine bottles. I use the 'trip 2' mileage as a rough indication of miles on a full DEF tank (5 gal on this year model). 5K miles with hwy miles works for me, 3.5-4K if stop & go traffic. As much as possible I'm proactive and fill it where I'm comfortable. That under the hood location is pretty dumb, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Bear View Post
When i purchased my 2017 F250 with 6.7 diesel, I was told by the service manager that using Ford DEF was way better for the engine than other brands. Based on your chemistry tutorial this statement from the Ford guy seems false.

I’d love to save a few bucks and have more convenient DEF options. More thoughts from this trusted group?
DEF has nothing to do with the engine, it's all injected directly into the exhaust system so I'd be wary of the statements from that service manager.

As already mentioned a few times DEF is DEF, the date is everything. Blue DEF has done an excellent job of promotion. Our local AutoZone now sells "Gold Blue DEF", wow! Only ~$20.- for 2.5 gals
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
And I find it more convenient to buy DEF in a box than at a truck stop, where I typically find the cost of diesel substantially more than at a typical service station and particularly at Costco.
Ditto, and since I have a 2018 Duramax which requires opening the hood I prefer using the Walmart/Canadian Tire DEF. I have found that consumer diesel can be a lot cheaper than truck stop diesel, which largely covers the cost differential of a bit of DEF.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I recently found DEF in one gallon bottles at Walmart. A quick calculation was that 3 gallon bottles cost LESS than the 2.5 gallon box. Being over 70 and less than 5'6" tall getting on a stool and balancing a 20 lb box without spilling any has always been not fun. Less expensive and lighter weight vessels is a no-brainer. Check the prices with your app. It might have been a one time special.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
I used to buy the boxes and wrestle with the hose and lifting the box. And then there is the expiration and degradation while riding around in the bed of my truck under the black tonneau cover. I had one box with no expiration date / code. I contacted Peak and their advice was not to use it. So now I fill the DEF at the pump, Loves or Pilot etc. Cheaper and I'd be pretty sure the volume turns over pretty quickly so no expiration. The only problem I've encounter is that the flow rate, like the fuel, is high so I have to throttle the nozzle. The DEF nozzle fits fine in my 2016 F250.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Houston , TX
I prefer filling at the pump because it’s cheaper quicker and easier. With that said I need to figure out a corporate card or something, because I always have to go inside and prepay for it which is actually a pain in the @$$.

When towing on a trip I have started bringing along about 4-5 gallons of BlueDEF which is a full tank for me. I try to use that as back up so as I start getting low I try to fill up at the pumps. If that doesn’t work easily then I’ll fill up a gallon or so when we’re at the campsite to get me farther down the road.
Duramax3oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax3oh View Post
I prefer filling at the pump because itís cheaper quicker and easier. With that said I need to figure out a corporate card or something, because I always have to go inside and prepay for it which is actually a pain in the @$$.
When I drove a diesel car I didnít even know about DEF at the pump. But now with my F250 would much rather avoid the hassle of handling the stuff and use the pump - agree with above that some (but not all) of the time something about the Truck pumps doesnít allow credit card payment for DEF even if it does for diesel (and sometimes not even that). But I also like to use the high flow diesel pumps whenever possible out of sheer speed, so easy to do the DEF at same time when needed. I dislike waiting until the 1000 mile warnings start going off though, because they keep startling me while towing, and I may not have a truck stop available or planned for a few hundred miles.
Czarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #32
Finally retired

2018 30' Classic
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I agree. Just be glad it didn't allow you to pump diesel into the DEF tank! When that diesel would hit that extremely hot catalytic burner, whoa!
Agreed. Generally easy to fill at pump, and cheaper for sure. ( We met at JC last year when we were both there for warranty stuff.) Be well.
John W Bevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
I use the TSD Logistics Card. They have an option for RV's. You can use it at the pump to buy diesel and DEF, no going inside to pay first. You get a discount at Love's. They no longer have any association with Pilot but you can use the card at Pilot just no discount. There are discounts at other truck stops also such as TA. There is a local Speedway that accepts the card. The card is only good on the commercial side of the truck stops. I usually run my DEF level till I get the under 500 mile warning, there will always be a truck stop within that range. If you haven't heard of the TSD Logistics option you should check it out. Lots of RVers using it.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Paramus , New Jersey
Another vote for TSD, we saved almost $1 per gallon on our last trip at a TA.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Be very, very careful when buying DEF at truck stops. Some dispense both diesel and DEF from the same nozzle -- you push a button to select which one you want. With those pumps, you can get a slug of diesel before the DEF starts flowing if the previous customer had pumped diesel.

It is critically important that nothing but DEF gets in your tank and its pump. Similarly, old degraded DEF will be sensed and the system impaired.

One slug of diesel or degraded DEF and you may be looking at a new DEF pump, for very big $$$$.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcubed53 View Post
I use the TSD Logistics Card. They have an option for RV's. You can use it at the pump to buy diesel and DEF, no going inside to pay first. You get a discount at Love's. They no longer have any association with Pilot but you can use the card at Pilot just no discount. There are discounts at other truck stops also such as TA. There is a local Speedway that accepts the card. The card is only good on the commercial side of the truck stops. I usually run my DEF level till I get the under 500 mile warning, there will always be a truck stop within that range. If you haven't heard of the TSD Logistics option you should check it out. Lots of RVers using it.
These guys are legitimate. The service is great. And now we can get fuel at the truck stops (no more "will I fit in there?") and low, low prices. Those crazy fast fill nozzles mean I can fill up the Duramax in less than a minute. They always have DEF at the pump. And their phone app makes it easy to plan cheap refilling stops along your journey. And most of the time, there is adequate parking when we want to have lunch in the Airstream when we stoop for fuel. In August, we completed a 3500-mile trip through New Mexico and Colorado. On average, my final cost was $1.86 per gallon diesel using the big truck depots.

The only negative I can think of is this only works for diesel fuel.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Be very, very careful when buying DEF at truck stops. Some dispense both diesel and DEF from the same nozzle -- you push a button to select which one you want. With those pumps, you can get a slug of diesel before the DEF starts flowing if the previous customer had pumped diesel.

It is critically important that nothing but DEF gets in your tank and its pump. Similarly, old degraded DEF will be sensed and the system impaired.

One slug of diesel or degraded DEF and you may be looking at a new DEF pump, for very big $$$$.
Hi Bob, are you sure about this, it doesn't really sound right. I can find no evidence of it anywhere, but I do find evidence of people mistakenly thinking this because the two buttons are there but they only see one hose because the DEF hose is hidden behind a door. Also the DEF hose and nozzle is very small and would take forever to fill the diesel tanks on an OTR truck, and they can't make the nozzle bigger because it wouldn't fit the DEF filler neck. Also the chance of contamination is extremely likely, I would say in fact it is guaranteed and I can't see the EPA allowing anything like this. It makes no sense at all and I believe you might be mistaken on this.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:28 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Hi Bob, are you sure about this, it doesn't really sound right. I can find no evidence of it anywhere, but I do find evidence of people mistakenly thinking this because the two buttons are there but they only see one hose because the DEF hose is hidden behind a door. Also the DEF hose and nozzle is very small and would take forever to fill the diesel tanks on an OTR truck, and they can't make the nozzle bigger because it wouldn't fit the DEF filler neck. Also the chance of contamination is extremely likely, I would say in fact it is guaranteed and I can't see the EPA allowing anything like this. It makes no sense at all and I believe you might be mistaken on this.
I'm with you on this, Brian. They use separate pumping equipment, with the DEF pump nozzle being stored behind the door of the DEF pump. Since the DEF nozzle is hidden behind the door, I can imagine it might appear that there is only a single hose/nozzle for both, especially since you use the same payment mechanism on the pump.

You can be sure that no fueling stations are going to contaminate their DEF pumps with diesel fuel, as these fluids are quite incompatible.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 18' Clipper
Elgin , Texas
PAY ATTENTION ALL YOU BOX DEF BUYERS****

If you choose to buy a box of DEF make sure the seal below the cap is INTACT.
If not you can't be sure the kid in the back of the WalMarz storage room hasn't replaced it with water or something more deleterious!
Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Paramus , New Jersey
Truck stops always have a separate nozzle for DEF and one for Diesel. I have never seen it under the same nozzle. I have been using TSD logistics and filling up at truck stops for the last year.
wilsodf is offline   Reply With Quote