Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Cape May County , New Jersey
Bike rack with a bakflip tonneau

I own an F150 with a BAKflip (Revolver x4) and would like to purchase a low profile bike rack that sits on the tonneau.
I need ideas that would allow access to the bed, like a quick release/disconnect, once the bikes are removed.
Any recommendations?
Does a product like this exist?
Thank you.
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Are you willing to spend $5K + to do that..??
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/pi...cedes-x-class/

This gentleman came up with a method which works for his “retractable” tonneau…. I have a BakFlip…and I think his method might work IF instead of bolting the aluminum cross-members to the side-members…instead of bolts if you used quick-connects, Quick-Release-Pins, Tractor lynch-pins, or a Hinge on one side to flip the racks to the side while accessing the bed … just might work. (I like the way this man made his video…no long-winded intro’s… no excess talking…no attempt to be a “movie-star”… just a “get ‘er done” attitude.)

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck55 View Post
I own an F150 with a BAKflip (Revolver x4) and would like to purchase a low profile bike rack that sits on the tonneau.
I need ideas that would allow access to the bed, like a quick release/disconnect, once the bikes are removed.
Any recommendations?
Thank you.
You need to get rid of the BakFlip and get something like a Retrax ProXR with T-Slots to put a rack in. I have one, but carry a Yakima box and cage on the low profile rack with an OverHaul above it all for kayaks and the bikes on the front.

https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr

Retrax with Yakima low profile rack only:

Retrax with the Yakima OverHaul:

JetstreamAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
To work with the BakFlip you might try KB Voodoo.
https://www.kbvoodoo.com/all-prox-cr...bars-ford-f150

+1 for Retrax Pro which is what we have now on our F250. Once you add it all up it can get pretty spendy (we went Yakima). It is really nice to be able to open/close the cover without removing bikes or racks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	425628  
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
I also had the BAKflip cover on our 2500 Cummins and ended up replacing it with the retrax xr pro as others have mentioned to use the Yakima rails and put the bikes on top. If you go this route note Yakima has multiple cross members to accommodate 120 to 500 lbs of weight over the bed and retrax supports all of them with their stated weight railings. It works great. The only consideration is to make sure you can lift the bikes to load and unload.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Cape May County , New Jersey
I like this idea along with adding the quick release pins.
huck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Some friends have a fiberglass tonneau cover. They use a suction cup fork clamping rack for their bikes (take the front wheels off). Obviously, the fiberglass is very smooth so the suction cups hold well, not sure if yours is smooth enough.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
I like this idea along with adding the quick release pins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
Some friends have a fiberglass tonneau cover. They use a suction cup fork clamping rack for their bikes (take the front wheels off). Obviously, the fiberglass is very smooth so the suction cups hold well, not sure if yours is smooth enough.
huck55 and 10Smiles-

You are both (10Smiles' friends) very adventurous!

There is no way I would consider using aluminum tubing or suction cups to secure anything to the truck, tonneau or rails. At speed, the load forces change considerably and any failure (on any system of course) could be catastrophic to your bikes/gear, travel trailer and others on the road for sure! Not to mention that the entire thing can be stolen quite easily while the Yakima/Retrax is locked down. Even though it can still be stolen it would take far, far more effort to do that.

I like the guy's DIY solution and cost, but no way would I consider something like that. Found this comment/exchange interesting on the video:

Comment:

"Nice job, but I wouldve used box steel going from left to right, your aluminum bars are already starting to bend...also I would use carriage bolts so the bolts dont dig into the be rail."

Reply:

"True, but you just doubled the cost of the build."

Wow!
Old 11-21-2022, 11:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
huck55 and 10Smiles-

You are both (10Smiles' friends) very adventurous!

There is no way I would consider using aluminum tubing or suction cups to secure anything to the truck, tonneau or rails.
Not as adventurous as you think.

The racks from SeaSucker (https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike) are outstanding. I have the mini bomber and have used it all over the northeast to haul my road bikes (~$8K each) on my car and I have never had an issue or concern. The are very popular, well made and work well.

The only thing, already pointed out, is the surface needs to be smooth, either a car finish or glass.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Not as adventurous as you think.

The racks from SeaSucker (https://www.seasucker.com/collections/bike) are outstanding. I have the mini bomber and have used it all over the northeast to haul my road bikes (~$8K each) on my car and I have never had an issue or concern. The are very popular, well made and work well.

The only thing, already pointed out, is the surface needs to be smooth, either a car finish or glass.
Not sure how the price of your road bikes is relevant, other than maybe a "statement of trust" of your rack or the inference to others that don't ride that the higher the price of your ride then you will usually have a lighter frame and components. Either way, an $8k bike flying off your car or a $500 bike doing so are likely to still have the same level of catastrophe to the driver(s) behind you!

I am aware of the SeaSucker system but I still wouldn't use it and it is not practical for an application with most tonneau covers unless it is super smooth as noted above. Like the RockBros racks, there have been failures reported with the suction cups on the SeaSucker, but I am sure that can apply to any rack and any type of bike. We have several bikes, from MTB to road to electric. For super light road bikes I might feel better with your setup on a passenger car, but somewhat unlikely for most people with a MTB and of course not for a heavy ebike either.

In 20 years of using Yakima and Thule products (non-suction cup) I have never had a failure of any sort (bikes, skis, cargo boxes, kayaks, snowboards, and everything else) and the warranty/CS support has been outstanding from both companies.

Glad your system has worked out for you for that long and ride on!
Old 11-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #11
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-cs...l-assembly-set
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

South Tahoe , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
That's pretty cool that BAK makes that for the BAKFlip. Does it only work with the CS system listed by part number? If so I am not sure that meets the "would like to purchase a low profile bike rack that sits on the tonneau" spec that Huck55 was looking for?

No matter what, looks like all options are somewhat expensive!
Old 11-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC7039 View Post
One negative to that approach and the KBVoodoo adapter linked earlier is you can not open the BakFlip cover when the bike rack is installed. That is another benefit to the Retrax Pro as it rolls up unto a canister at the head of the bed. That is also a negative as the canister uses some bed space.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetstreamAS View Post
Not sure how the price of your road bikes is relevant, other than maybe a "statement of trust" of your rack or the inference to others that don't ride that the higher the price of your ride then you will usually have a lighter frame and components. Either way, an $8k bike flying off your car or a $500 bike doing so are likely to still have the same level of catastrophe to the driver(s) behind you!

I am aware of the SeaSucker system but I still wouldn't use it and it is not practical for an application with most tonneau covers unless it is super smooth as noted above. Like the RockBros racks, there have been failures reported with the suction cups on the SeaSucker, but I am sure that can apply to any rack and any type of bike. We have several bikes, from MTB to road to electric. For super light road bikes I might feel better with your setup on a passenger car, but somewhat unlikely for most people with a MTB and of course not for a heavy ebike either.

In 20 years of using Yakima and Thule products (non-suction cup) I have never had a failure of any sort (bikes, skis, cargo boxes, kayaks, snowboards, and everything else) and the warranty/CS support has been outstanding from both companies.

Glad your system has worked out for you for that long and ride on!
To each his own, our friends have had no issues with their suction cup rack. We met them on the Oregon coast and they were from Tennessee. That's why there are different products, do what makes you feel safe.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
There was a thread on an f-150 forum where someone added fork mounts and hold downs to their bakflip to make it be able to carry bikes. Was thinking of doing something similar myself.

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	425635
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #16
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Bike rack with a bakflip tonneau

When I carry a canoe it’s a mix of the Bakflip rails with a Bakflip rack and a Yakima rack. When I carry my kayak I use two Bakflip racks.

I have not carried my bicycle but it think I could use my Yakima racks and when the bikes are off and loosen and slip the back rack forward.

I also think you can use a low rack front and a high rack back in some way and then have access to the bed.

Yes. Nothing cheap about any of the options.

Name:	IMG_2822.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	528.3 KB
ID:	425648
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #17
IM Streamin

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Ditto on this solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
There was a thread on an f-150 forum where someone added fork mounts and hold downs to their bakflip to make it be able to carry bikes. Was thinking of doing something similar myself.
Attachment 425635
I did this 5 yrs and many miles ago for our 2 Townies with no issues. Relatively simple and inexpensive but bed access is a drawback. Would have liked to use the Retrax type but I need my bed space.
IB Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
As I did remove the back flip install a reflex roll up with
Channels in it that hold accessories. Long long Honeymoon got me interested in it.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Several very good ideas here.
Thank you for asking the question and everyone else for providing great options.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #20
FCNewbie

2020 25' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Any recommendations?
Thank you.
Retrax with Yakima rack is perfect for us. Lockable too. Easy to mount bikes.
capnorm is offline   Reply With Quote