Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
I am always interested in this type of post even more as I get closer to the end of my lease. I am now paying .20@mi after our extended summer trip with the new 08 31 Classic being over 36k in the 05. The Suburban 3/4 6l 4.1 axle performed well till we reached the mountains and manual downshifting made me a convert to going diesel. I would say a clear majority of the western folk I ran into pulling large fifth wheelers no heavier than my AS were in diesels. I have decided to get into a crew cabin duramax with allison drive. I have not decided whether to go with a single axle 3500 or a 2500 HD. Belief it or not in Oregon I saw quite a few 1 ton single axle trucks pulling trailers. Those folks are heavy duty campers and seem to have alot more experience than floridians. I leased the Suburban before I even knew that I might buy an RV, it came about because I almost lost my Volvo XC AWD when trying to pull my BWhaler out of a wet ramp at low tide. It was over kill but providence was looking out for me, it met the ticket for the AS. When we were in Perry the Burb met many of its brothers, same configuration. I plan on buying and want longevity and the possibility to run biodiesel. I have been monitoring the biodiesel forums on the coops and many are now occupied with its production especially in the more rural areas of central florida. If fuel stays up near $3 there will be the incentives for more individuals to look into the processing. I drove the Superduty Ford, more refined than its earlier incarnation but still too much like a truck for us. I plan on getting a topper with carpet and connector for AC from the cab. There is also a full bed tray that allows one to get easier access to cargo. The GMc/Chevy model is more like the suburban is in the LTZ line.The new burbs with the plastic bumpers really turned me off, I think the 05-06 burbs have a nicer exterior.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Dear RBolton: Your right the 3/4 ton is close in cost until you add in the 6K or so for diesel. I always reasoned I would get all or most of that back at resale or in longer useful life.

I hate engine lug and downshifting and thats why I was asking whether the guy in the colorado mountains was driving 40-50 mph because his engine was straining or if thats all you can do on mountain switchbacks.

I have been happy with diesels but the big Dodge 10 cylinder is the smoothest engine I have ever driven. When they were new they were pretty spendy and thirsty. Now you could probably catch a real good deal on a used one and the money saved together with gas at 40 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel may make them a bargain.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet
I am always interested in this type of post even more as I get closer to the end of my lease. I am now paying .20@mi after our extended summer trip with the new 08 31 Classic being over 36k in the 05. The Suburban 3/4 6l 4.1 axle performed well till we reached the mountains and manual downshifting made me a convert to going diesel. I would say a clear majority of the western folk I ran into pulling large fifth wheelers no heavier than my AS were in diesels. I have decided to get into a crew cabin duramax with allison drive. I have not decided whether to go with a single axle 3500 or a 2500 HD. Belief it or not in Oregon I saw quite a few 1 ton single axle trucks pulling trailers. Those folks are heavy duty campers and seem to have alot more experience than floridians. I leased the Suburban before I even knew that I might buy an RV, it came about because I almost lost my Volvo XC AWD when trying to pull my BWhaler out of a wet ramp at low tide. It was over kill but providence was looking out for me, it met the ticket for the AS. When we were in Perry the Burb met many of its brothers, same configuration. I plan on buying and want longevity and the possibility to run biodiesel. I have been monitoring the biodiesel forums on the coops and many are now occupied with its production especially in the more rural areas of central florida. If fuel stays up near $3 there will be the incentives for more individuals to look into the processing. I drove the Superduty Ford, more refined than its earlier incarnation but still too much like a truck for us. I plan on getting a topper with carpet and connector for AC from the cab. There is also a full bed tray that allows one to get easier access to cargo. The GMc/Chevy model is more like the suburban is in the LTZ line.The new burbs with the plastic bumpers really turned me off, I think the 05-06 burbs have a nicer exterior.
We had 2 Burbs before the BA CC. The Burbs are great family vehicles. You cannot beat the DA for tow duty though. Economy with the diesel is much better, as noted, the interior is just as refined as the Burb. The Allisson is unreal.
One thing to consider, and the reason we bought an 06, the previous gen diesels will burn anything, not so sure about the new (07) engines...
PM me if you want any more details on our Suby/DA CC experience.
Bill
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
We had 2 Burbs before the ?? ??. . .
PM me if you want any more details on our ????/?? ?? experience.

We have no idea what you're talking about.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Smile Why I went diesel

Bill,
My '07 Chev 2500HD Duramax EC SB can burn any of the Bio-diesels that are comercialy available now.
And it is a cleaner burning than the '06.
I have not towed my '91 34' Limited Edition yet as I am still working to rebuild the interior. However when towing a friends 10,000 lb trailer, I got 13 plus MPG, but I did not tow it far enough to have a real good log on it. Only went 430 miles. I'm getting right at 18.6 empty and it is increasing with every tank full. Only have 3700 miles on it so not completely broke in yet. Yes, my fuel cost is higher than a gasser but the end result is worth it.
I went with the Duramax because it is much QUIETER than the Dodge or Ford and IMHO a better ride.
Also the 2500HD has a towing rate well beyond the GCCC of the AS's rated 8,900 lbs.
But this is JMHO.

Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

Hi Mark...I think he means DA CC...Duramax Allison Crew Cab and Surban (Suby)...the one reference to BA CC I think should have been a silmilar DA CC. Crew Cab is I believe the four door version as opposed to the EC or extended cab. Next poster talks of the EC SB...extended cab short bed.

It also drives me nuts when I don't recognize the "code"...you probably figured it out by now.

Thanks...Tom Rootness...currently IN Eden Prairie
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 AM   #27
solitaire

1970 31' Sovereign
Hillsboro , North Dakota
Solitaire responds

My 93 Silverado is an 8 cylinder 350. I don't know about the RPM's It is a strain going up the mountain. I would prefer a 3/4 ton but for the time being I have to live with what I have.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #28
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4
Bill,
I went with the Duramax because it is much QUIETER than the Dodge or Ford and IMHO a better ride.

Claude
Have you heard or not heard the 08 Ford? Very quiet, much quiter than my 06. Any the tow capacity. I can tow your AS and your TV with my F-250.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #29
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Michelle-

can not.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Brad,

You're absolutely right about the Dodge V-10. It's a terrific alternative to the diesels. Sadly Dodge has left a terrible gap between the 5.7 Hemi and their diesel. The V-10 was a low cost way to get the towing capability that rivaled the diesels. With the money saved one could buy a couple thousand gallons of gas.

As for its smoothness. If you haven't picked up from some of my previous posts, I am a Dodge Dealer. When I got my first V-10 truck in everybody gathered round to hear that big honking V-10 rumble to life. What a let down. It purred like a kitten. I even had an old school mechanic set a nickle on edge to show just how smooth it ran.

Strangely this post has drifted, I think, from Steamer1's intial post where he made the observation that a 3/4 ton truck was starting out with a power disadvantage to the 1/2 ton when engines were the same. He's right - and this V-10 in a 3/4 ton truck would correct that situation.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Can too!

Old 11-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Smile thecatsandi

Wanna hook up hitch to hitch and see who pulls whom? That is if you have not added super chips and such stuff??
Could be a good fun outing.
And yes, I have HEARD the 2008 FORD DIESELS. AND THEY , oops, sorry the neighbor just turned his off. Sorrry I was shouting. Anyway, they are louder than the new Duramax. IMHO.

And back to the 1/2 ton - 3/4 ton issue, if you plan on towing anything over 5,000 lbs GCCC then you should look at the 3/4 ton if for no other reason than as stated here before---- the brakes....
And do not believe all you see in the comercials about who has the best brakes as the new kid on the block claims.

Another "IMHO" remark.

Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #33

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
can Too

No Chips, No funny business.
I will be using 4 wheel drive, low range though.
Yes my truck has big brakes. 4 whell disc with ABS.
The 08 Ford is a lot quiter than mine.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #34
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by catson4
Anyway, they are louder than the new Duramax. IMHO....
good thing it's only an opinion...

check the reported db for each...

and the interior dbs for each...

then report back.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
To the original question

The short answer is gears.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #36
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
...By the way (Here I go Again!), is that Powerstroke in the F450 and F550 the same as the one in the F250 and F350? Again...
here is your guide to the 2008 ford...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...now-30023.html

the 6.4liter is the same engine from 250 up....

in the 450 it is geared differently and detuned (lower hp) slightly...

but the towing capacity of 24,500 lbs is adequate...

ok guys (and michelle)

since we are bragging...

how's this

cheers
2air'

and IF ya click the pic it is even BIGGER!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_enough.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	907.3 KB
ID:	49219  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
Brad,

You're absolutely right about the Dodge V-10. It's a terrific alternative to the diesels. Sadly Dodge has left a terrible gap between the 5.7 Hemi and their diesel. The V-10 was a low cost way to get the towing capability that rivaled the diesels. With the money saved one could buy a couple thousand gallons of gas.

As for its smoothness. If you haven't picked up from some of my previous posts, I am a Dodge Dealer. When I got my first V-10 truck in everybody gathered round to hear that big honking V-10 rumble to life. What a let down. It purred like a kitten. I even had an old school mechanic set a nickle on edge to show just how smooth it ran.

Strangely this post has drifted, I think, from Steamer1's intial post where he made the observation that a 3/4 ton truck was starting out with a power disadvantage to the 1/2 ton when engines were the same. He's right - and this V-10 in a 3/4 ton truck would correct that situation.
I noticed that also, but oh well!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
here is your guide to the 2008 ford...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...now-30023.html

the 6.4liter is the same engine from 250 up....

in the 450 it is geared differently and detuned (lower hp) slightly...

but the towing capacity of 24,500 lbs is adequate...

ok guys (and michelle)

since we are bragging...

how's this

cheers
2air'

and IF ya click the pic it is even BIGGER!
Hey 2air, THAT's a BIG ONE!
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #39
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
looks like it's glad to be there, too
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #40
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane

oops! Typo, should have been DA=DuraMax Allison
CC=crew cab (4 door)

sorry for the confusion...

Bill

Tags
1/2 ton