Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I tow my ambassador with an 08 sequoia, We chose this over the suburban because it will tow more than the 1//2 surb.. And are friends have a 3/4. It sucks on gas and is a hard ride. Plus we use it as an everyday driver with the kids and use the third row sometimes. A truck just wouldn't work for us. Plus I like the reliability of the toy. We have owned chevs and had a lot of problems.. Have a 4 runner with 130,000 miles and never a problem...

Although I must say our neighbor has a blazer with over 400,000 miles on it.. But he has had 2 transmission and just about everything else replaced except the motor...

Anyway I have no problem towing my 4200 lb trailer, even in the mountains of colorado...

So figure out what you want, find the vehicles that fulfill the needs, Put them in a jar, and pick out your new TV...
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
East vs West...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat View Post
I was told by many that if I stuck to mostly eastern US driving and had a good WD hitch, that a 1/2 ton truck would be adequate for my '08 25' AS, but that if I ever wanted to go longer AS (I do!), tow in western mountains (plan on it!), or am new to towing (I am), that I might find I am more comfortable towing with a 3/4 ton.
From my experience over the past two summers and 17,000+ miles coast-to-coast twice, I would say that the strain of hill climbing in the East is much, much worse than the strain of mountain climbing in the West. It's simply a matter of the grade of the road and it seems that, more often than not, the grades in the East are much greater than the grades in the West even though the hills are puny in height in comparison to the Sierras, the Rockies, and the other Western mountains. Those 800 and 900 foot elevations along I-40 in Maryland and West Virginia, for example, or the hills of upstate New York and western Massachusetts are much more difficult to climb with a trailer in tow than mountains in California, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, or elsewhere in the West where we have driven.

What do others think about the comparison?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper View Post
We get 10mpg... but it is hard to keep it under 70.
Slow down, Mike, and enjoy the journey. I guess that's the difference between being on extended vacation (us) and not (you).

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I grew up in Montana, went to university and grad school in Spokane. In 1996 (during the blizzard), I pulled a trailer to Maryland and have lived here since. I have driven Montana, northern Idaho and eastern Washington with a wide range of vehicles and loads. My experience in the Mid Atlantic has involved fewer vehicles, but my wife loves "road trips" so there aren't many places in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland or Pennsylvania we have not seen. We just finished a road trip to Chicago and back. We took a "northern route" out (Ohio) and a southern route back (Kentucky/West Virginia).

Personally, I think a person can get in trouble in Appalachians or the Rockies. There are hills I don't like near my hometown (Elk Hill between Libby, MT, and Kalispell, MT, where the old road had so many white crosses it looked like a "borrow pit" cemetery; the long hill dropping into Bonners Ferry, ID, from the east.) Driving the length of West Virginia on two-lane roads, we also found some drops and climbs (2+ miles at 9+ percent grades). For some reason, the roads in the east (particularly WV) don't seem as well marked or designed. There were a few roads where I thought, "Hey, a road sign to gear down would have been nice." In the west, the roads don't seem quite as tortuous... save the unpaved "goat trails" and places like Going to the Sun highway.

The major roads in the west over the passes are generally designed to accomodate a range of vehicles. There are some very long pulls which can be hard if you are pulling too much weight, it's too hot and your cooling system is not up to snuff. There are also some very long drops where many a brake has been devoured. The stuff in the east feels "sneakier." I would worry less about the hard uphill pulls, but I would not scrimp on brakes or suspension... in other words, make sure you have enough vehicle because there is always a surprise around the corner.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
You want to take a long while going downhill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The major roads in the west over the passes are generally designed to accomodate a range of vehicles. There are some very long pulls which can be hard if you are pulling too much weight, it's too hot and your cooling system is not up to snuff. There are also some very long drops where many a brake has been devoured. The stuff in the east feels "sneakier." I would worry less about the hard uphill pulls, but I would not scrimp on brakes or suspension... in other words, make sure you have enough vehicle because there is always a surprise around the corner.
I agree with these comments. Who cares whether it takes a long while going uphill as long as the tow vehicle can handle the task without overheating. And, I'd rather take a long while going downhill rather than getting to the bottom too quickly...if you get my drift (pun intended).

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
FFWilliston

2021 30RB Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Best Tow Vehicle

If you want to combine superior towing capabilities with excellent passenger seating/comfort/room, you may want to consider a Nissan Armada. I have towed a 26-ft Four Winns boat and a 30-ft Airstream to TX and back from SC (at different times, of course) with absolutely no problems with either tow. My wife likes it for around-town driving due to its great visibility and, again, comfort. Unless you absolutely require a pickup, look at the Armada. Sincerely, Fred
ffwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I towed my 28' 'o6 Safari with a Chevy Avalanche for a couple of years - the 28'er was only about 500 lbs more than the 25' and the Avalanche was rated to tow 7200. Figure on adding 800-1000 pounds of "stuff" when you include everything from propane to flip flops and you're looking at a 6500 lb trailer. My Avi got the job done but I live in flat as a pancake Florida. I would not have been comfortable taking it into the NC mountains (we go to Boone often but rent a cabin.) I recently upgraded to an '08 Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton and the difference is remarkable. I think I could pull the AS up Mt. Everest if I wanted to.

With the 25'er you don't need a 3/4 ton diesel truck, especially with diesel at over $4 a gallon. I do think a 1/2 ton truck or SUV rated to tow at least 6500 to 7200 would be a worthwhile investment though.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We now have an '01 25' and pull it with an '07 GMC 1/2 ton with towing package, 5.3 L engine, 3.73 axle ratio, tow rated for 7800 lbs., and we have no troubles.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #29

Currently Looking...
Charlotte , North Carolina
Thanks for all of the great responses!

Wow, I was maybe expecting a few answers, and possibly a "don't ask such a dumb question", certainly wasn't expecting over 30 responses- thanks! Fun to see how everyone has a great solution for their needs. I like the idea of a truck so I can haul a bicycle, and maybe a smoker back there. I noticed Tundra, and Sierra are giving real good deals right now. Thanks again, I now have a much better idea of what it is going to take to tow my future 25' safari. Look forward to many more answers on this great forum!
Chef Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwanabe View Post
How about a 69-73 Chrysler Town & County Wagon with a 440 V8
or 69-73 Imperial with the same engine,

or 74-76 Cadillac Fleetwood 472 or 500 V8, 500, that's Big!

74-79 Lincoln Town Car with 460 V8

I have not mentioned a newer car yet,

Those cars are what I remember seeing growing up in the 70's
Greg,

I am partial to the 1977 Lincoln and so is my friend commander31.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I'm probably the wrong person to chime in on this thread considering I tow a vintage 25' Trade Wind with a one-ton crew cab dually, but I can only afford one truck and it has to be able to tow considerably more than just the AS. However, I subscribe to the theory of 'Better to have too much truck than not enough.'
Growing up on the gulf coast, it was very common to see larger boats being pulled by vehicles that simply weren't up to the task. As flat is the area is, it was still pretty common to see people white-knuckling it down even a small hill when the trailer started driving the truck. The popularity of smaller Jeep Cherokee sized SUVs in the early '90s seemed to multiply the problem. Nothing scarier than a Nissan Pathfinder with a 30' cabin cruiser pushing it down a hill, especially when the trailer has no brakes!
Now that I've moved to South Carolina, I spend a good portion of my leisure time in the Appalachians. I often see mid-sized SUVs pulled off the side of the road with the brakes smoking because they were towing campers that were close to the max rating of their vehicle when empty and the truck just couldn't handle the steep descent with a loaded trailer behind it.
My point is, just because you have a truck that will pull the trailer under ideal conditions, doesn't mean it will keep it under control in more extreme situations. I've been towing heavy loads pretty much since I was issued a driver's license. Even with one of the heaviest tow vehicles on the road, I'm still very picky about the things I'm willing to hitch the beast up to. The safety of my family and the others around me is too important to me to consider towing a heavy load on public highways that my vehicle can't safely handle.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jeff View Post
Wow, I was maybe expecting a few answers, and possibly a "don't ask such a dumb question", certainly wasn't expecting over 30 responses- thanks!...<snip>...
Well, the reason for that is that you've touched a nerve in the towing community...there is a lot of discussion (and even more opinions) of tow vehicles, hitches, etc. and most folks have their own take on it... When I saw your original questions, I braced myself for the hot and heavy discussion that I thought would ensue...but I'm happy to see that that did not happen after all, and you actually got some level-headed, sensible and useful information that is based in caution and helpfulness to work with... Thanks everyone for that!

See you down the road...travel well!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Slow down, Mike, and enjoy the journey. I guess that's the difference between being on extended vacation (us) and not (you).
I can't drive 55! After all - It's a hemi dude.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
dont buy the tundra......I learned today from a freind that chevy trucks with the VIN number starting with 1 is american 2 is canadian and 3 is mexico. I love my Super Duty
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
Equalizer

I'm thinking about the getting the equalizer hitch for my Tundra, since I'm upgrading to a 25 SS on Monday. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems to make sense to me, but just looking for some suggestions before laying out the money for it.
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #36
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jeff View Post
I noticed Tundra, and Sierra are giving real good deals right now. Thanks again, I now have a much better idea of what it is going to take to tow my future 25' safari. Look forward to many more answers on this great forum!

The best advice I have been given is to buy your tow vehicle AFTER you buy your Airstream!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #37
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
I had to slow down; our daily driver died for good about two weeks after we bought the big dog. Faced with feeding it on a daily basis and with diesel prices shooting up, not wanting my travel limited by the bookkeeper, and seeing the real savings to be had by slowing down, I decided it was the way to go for me.

Secretly I was thrilled to get to drive my truck all the time, but I didn't kill the van on purpose, honest!

When I first slowed down to 55 after being a lifelong leadfoot, I was embarrassed to be passed by little econoboxes, big rigs, and everything in between. Silly, I know.

Then I noticed how peaceful it is to slow down and actually take in the scenery going by, how much less stress I felt, and I took a secret pleasure in knowing I could pass 'em all going uphill if I wanted to

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #38
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The GVWR should be the first number you look at. Then the tow capacity. Figure tongue weight, fuel, passenger weight, and cargo. Many medium size SUV's are quickly over capacity.
The goal is not to achieve what will go down the road, but, rather what will bring you back alive in a strong cross wind gust, going downhill, with a trailer that is starting to fishtail.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My brother bought a new Tundra. (He seems to buy a new truck about every six months). He tows a 26' non AS trailer (boxy and heavy) in Montana and often tows it on steep, unpaved roads. He installed rear air bags and a quality aftermarket hitch system. Between the bags and sway control, he's been happy with how the Tundra has pulled.

I own a Nissan Titan. You may encounter a bit of skepticism about "foreign" trucks and towing. If you buy a Tundra, my suggestion is find a good Tundra forum. I visit "Titantalk" on a semi-regular basis. This is how I found out that the Dana 44 rear differential is a weak point on the Titans. As noted on other threads, I recommend finding a vehicle that will pull the load "on paper," i.e., GCWR. There is also a great "after market" with products that can really make a towing experience better. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Prodigy braking system. Many folks feel more comfortable with air bags or something like the Roadmaster installed. If there are weak points in a suspension, you can bet that someone makes a beefier replacement, e.g., PRG makes an aftermarket shackle for the Titan that is much stronger than stock. You can't go wrong with something like a Reese dual cam. Some people buy a truck and think, "Hey, I'm ready to go." If you're buying a Ford F-350 to pull a vintage Bambi... OK, you probably don't need much. On the other hand, there are many great "add ons" that can make your towing experience more comfortable and more safe. Good luck.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Wow Airbags on a truck????? I put my 11000 lbs on my super duty it might drop 1/2 inch maybe. I use weight distributing just because the hitch reccomends it. My Ford Van was the same way. I agree go not with what tows it but what can travel with it sefely. I wanted to ad my buddy is a diehard chevy guy. He puts a large slide in camper in his truck with a 24 ft thompson boat behind it. He fishes and camps and hunts No Airbags!
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safari