Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXair View Post
Hi Atsushi,

Hello neighbor, this is Alvin from NJ.
I use to tow a 22' CCD with my Nissan Armada LE w/ tow package and was amazed how the SUV didn't fell any different with the trailer behind. Uphills and down hills were a breeze, as long as you know when to shift gears. Now I tow a 25' CCD, but now I do feel the trailer due to it's very heavy hitch weight which I plan on reducing. Other than the hitch weight being heavy the SUV still performs great. I get on average 11.5 MPG with this trailer going up state to the Adirondacks.

Hope this helps.
If you need more info PM me.
Thank you, Alvin. I would like to ask a few more questions. I'll send you a PM.

Atsushi
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I am towing 33 ft SOB trailer with BMW X5. With Propride hitch it is stable as rock. With any German SUV you will not notice that you have 22 ft Airstream behind.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I am towing 33 ft SOB trailer with BMW X5. With Propride hitch it is stable as rock. With any German SUV you will not notice that you have 22 ft Airstream behind.
Has nothing to do with country of origin, German SUVs are nice machines but no better than others when it comes to towing...they just incur higher maintenance costs along the way.

Back to the poster from NJ's question regarding towing with an SUV; a lot has changed. Today, most "SUVs" are now Crossovers which mean a transversely mounted engine and transmission, as well as no separate frame. These are negative features for towing.

In terms of overall power, stability, and durability for towing the size Airstream you are talking about with low maintenance and regular gas, a Chevrolet Tahoe or Ford Expedition would be excellent.
troverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Thank you for your comments. I wonder if a minivan (SUV crossover?) could also be a candidate as well. For example, Chevy Traverse?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Thank you for your comments. I wonder if a minivan (SUV crossover?) could also be a candidate as well. For example, Chevy Traverse?
Traverse is not a minivan. It is a front wheel drive (awd available) car, or "crossover" as they say.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Those minivans or crossovers typically do not have the same payload/towing capacity as a large SUV.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean BMW or Mercedes. The independent suspension and good brakes are key. These attributes are making their way into global vehicles from many OEMs.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
I saw this:

http://www.autobytel.com/crossovers/...trucks-119920/

2016 Chevrolet Traverse -- 5,200 lbs.

"The 2016 Chevrolet Traverse is about as close as you can get in size to a big SUV without going over completely to a truck-based platform. That being said, despite its large size and its exceptional passenger capacity (up to 8), the Chevrolet Traverse conducts itself far more like a car than one would think from behind the wheel. This is true even when taking into account the Traverse's 5,200 lbs. tow rating, which is made possible not only by its long wheelbase but also the 288 horsepower (with optional dual exhaust), 3.6-liter V6 engine under its hood that is also rated to produce 270 lb-ft of torque."

That's why I brought it up. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge or experience to judge the validity of this article.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
I found this article:

"2016 Chevy Traverse is about as close as you can get in size to a big SUV without going over completely to a truck-based platform. That being said, despite its large size and its exceptional passenger capacity (up to 8), the Chevrolet Traverse conducts itself far more like a car than one would think from behind the wheel. This is true even when taking into account the Traverse's 5,200 lbs. tow rating, which is made possible not only by its long wheelbase but also the 288 horsepower (with optional dual exhaust), 3.6-liter V6 engine under its hood that is also rated to produce 270 lb-ft of torque."

But I don't know how to judge the validity of this claim.

Atsushi
Old 09-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #70
Rivet Master

I drive German cars, therefore, I mentioned German SUVs. This was the only reason. Since you referred to this, non-German SUVs are just not on my list to drive. Some do not notice the differences, some do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
Has nothing to do with country of origin, German SUVs are nice machines but no better than others when it comes to towing...they just incur higher maintenance costs along the way.

Back to the poster from NJ's question regarding towing with an SUV; a lot has changed. Today, most "SUVs" are now Crossovers which mean a transversely mounted engine and transmission, as well as no separate frame. These are negative features for towing.

In terms of overall power, stability, and durability for towing the size Airstream you are talking about with low maintenance and regular gas, a Chevrolet Tahoe or Ford Expedition would be excellent.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 19' Safari SE
Brossard , Quebec
Chevy traverse

Quote:
I found this article:

"2016 Chevy Traverse is about as close as you can get in size to a big SUV without going over completely to a truck-based platform. That being said, despite its large size and its exceptional passenger capacity (up to 8), the Chevrolet Traverse conducts itself far more like a car than one would think from behind the wheel. This is true even when taking into account the Traverse's 5,200 lbs. tow rating, which is made possible not only by its long wheelbase but also the 288 horsepower (with optional dual exhaust), 3.6-liter V6 engine under its hood that is also rated to produce 270 lb-ft of torque."

But I don't know how to judge the validity of this claim.

Atsushi
I have a 2011 Traverse LT (2WD) with Towing Package and a 23FB. Rig set up by Andy of CanAm London Ontario. Totally satisfied.
The LT base version of the Traverse come with 17 inches tires; not a perfect choice for towing.
For engine power; depending of your "perspective" of required power: It is OK.
On flat road, no wind, cruise control: 1700 RPM (overdrive) around 15.7 miles per US Gal. (15 Liter per 100) Km
In White Mountains around 12 miles per US Gal.
I am in process to replace it by a 2017 Pilot LX AWD and I will make the trip to CanAm for hitch installation.
I expect the gas consumption will remain in the same values.
Michel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9735.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	271823  
Papou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
Quote:
Traverse is large, but still features a car-like drivetrain. The V6 engine is low on torque and needs to be revved higher to make power. There is no frame, and the transverse mounted transmission is not as heavy duty as a longitudinal transmission. I think it would tow reasonably well, but I would expect higher wear and tear on the engine, transmission, and suspension components. I personally have no experience with the Traverse.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Anytown , New Hampshire
Quote:
I drive German cars, therefore, I mentioned German SUVs. This was the only reason. Since you referred to this, non-German SUVs are just not on my list to drive. Some do not notice the differences, some do.
I've driven German vehicles for years, as well as other European vehicles. I appreciate the styling, safety, and high quality interiors. The two worst vehicles I have ever owned in terms of repairs and maintenance were an Audi A8 and a BMW X5. Although not terribly reliable, we had two Mercedes E Class vehicles, which were better. I've owned 5 Land Rover products. The best was a 2005 Land Rover LR3 V8...but my point is that all of these vehicles pale in terms of reliability to a good old fashioned American truck or SUV. I've sold all my European vehicles now and own a new turbo aluminum body F150 and a new diesel King Ranch Super Duty. The interiors are not as nice, but not bad...and the vehicles drive very well...have more power...and don't break down. It also feels nice to support American auto workers. Nothing tows better than a full size American pickup truck.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Good for you. GL!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
.. which will be no larger than 22' (more likely 19'~20'). I would like to use a SUV to tow it.

...and occasionally, a couple of extended family members may come with us for a short trip (that's why we are interested in SUV).
You should also keep the GVWR in mind as a fully loaded crossover or SUV will be tight on payload.

Consider my Cayenne that has a GVWR of 6,790 lbs and weighs about 5,500 lbs. Add 300 for my wife and I and we are down to 1,000 lbs of available payload. The tongue weight is about 800 lbs so I can carry an additional 200 lbs of people and gear. This means that my set-up is not suitable for a family of four. Whatever you decide, take your time and hit the scales to get your axel weights. Note: Newer Cayennes are lighter and have a higher payload of 1,700 lbs.

As for the tow performance, we're on our sixth week of our maiden voyage and our V8 powered Cayenne has performed well.

A note on tongue weights: the AS specs are for dry trailers as they leave the factory. Real world numbers for FB's are usually higher. Check out the 23 FB that is light at 437 lbs. Easy tow with a crossover, no? But the main storage is under the bed and that's right over the tongue. So plan on a higher value when towing.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Thank you for everyone for your input.

Maybe someone can check my understanding:

Let's say our trailer is FC20'

GVWR: 5,000 lbs
Adding 15% safety margin: 5,750 lbs

Tongue weight (say 12% of GVWR): 600 lbsLet's say 4 people are in the vehicle: 500 lbs (3 Japanese + 1 American)

Cargo: 50 lbs
-------------------------
total payload: 1,150 lbs

Let's say our TV is: Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD
5.7L V8 engine with fuel saver technology and VVT
Class IV – Extra Heavy Duty

Max towing: 7,200 pounds, 4WD (>5,750 lbs) GOOD
Max payload: 1,290 pounds, 4WD (>1,150 lbs) GOOD Source:
http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabili...dCherokee3Tab*

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Atsushi
Old 09-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:

Max towing: 7,200 pounds, 4WD (>5,750 lbs) GOOD
Max payload: 1,290 pounds, 4WD (>1,150 lbs) GOOD
Am I missing anything?
Sounds to me like you are good to go. Just be sure to check your axel weights before and after you hook-up.

My dealer set up my WD hitch such that the AS was level and it looked good. So I hit the scales. Guess what? My front axel was 200 lbs lighter than the base weight and my rear axel was 150 lbs over its limit.

So I cranked up the spring bars to push some weight forward and some rearward to the AS. Then back to the scales and the front axel was back to the base weight and another 150 lbs was transferred to the AS axel. And my rear axel was below it's limit. Whew!

But the AS wasn't level so I had to drop the ball one notch on the shank.

The problem was that the dealer tech didn't have scales and was just guessing at the WD settings. Kudos to him for getting the AS level but he had no way to measure the weight transfer.

Now all is well and I'm a happy camper
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote