Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Here's a peak at our setup from instagram.com/wandrly if anyone's interested.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknathan View Post
Jack - we ended up with a 1995 Chevy G20. It's only got a 3.43 rear end but 5.7L, v8 and we beefed up the radiator and added a tranny cooler.

It's been working wonderfully, I was towing in 3rd gear (Drive) but after we got the new radiator I've been towing in OD, keeping it at around 55mph (which is all we can really do anyway before we start swaying...)

I'm curious though, do you think I should be keeping it in Drive all the while? Is 55mph too fast for Drive / 3rd gear?
If you are towing keep it in 3rd. Don't use OD based on the specs on your van. You should address that swaying issue though. That's really an unacceptable condition.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
If you are towing keep it in 3rd. Don't use OD based on the specs on your van. You should address that swaying issue though. That's really an unacceptable condition.

Jack
Agreed on all points. A WD hitch will help with van/trailer steering & braking, and either add-on or integrated trailer sway control will help with that aspect.

Start with trailer tongue weight. That needs to be from 12-15% of the trailer total weight.

And then weigh the combined rig.

Tire loads are what it all comes down to in the end.

http://www.rma.org/tire_care_info/ti...0311_FINAL.pdf

How to set up proper weight distribution is mainly acquiring numbers, plugging them in to a chart, and adjusting WD hitch to acquire the formulaic answer.

The short version is that the van needs have the same weight on the steer axle when unhitched as when hitched up with weight distribution applied. Known as FALR (front axle load restoration).

When this is done, the TW is also distributed back onto the trailer axles. All of this "leverage" makes for better handling and braking. And, if tongue weight was a good number, then with WD properly distributed (and any anti-sway devices at work) the combination should not be seeing any sway.

Loss-of-control accidents are a very big deal. Yours (by your description) is just waiting to happen.

Tire loads, friend.

A CAT Scale (most truck stops, see online locator) is about $10 for the first pass across the scales, and $1 or $2 for every other. Print out the chart in the pdf for weighing a combined rig, and read a little on how to adjust your hitch.

You'll be very glad to take a couple of hours over this. No comparison to how bad it is right now to where it will be once ironed out.

(And the pic of the rig at camp looks nice!!)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote