Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I slowly realized the subtle differences in the shifting of the transmission 1 1/2 year later. AND my wife agreed.
That may have been the transmission learning new shift points from the load. If you drove it for a while in a dramatically different style without a trailer, it would do the same thing.

I towed our 20' Safari with an '05 ML500 and was very happy. It did, over time, torque the hitch so it angled slightly upwards. It was easily compensated for by adjusting they WD hitch. But I think the reinforcement they put in eliminates that.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
the Cherokee is built on a Mercedes ML platform anyway.
As is the Durango, which is what I got as a replacement for my ML500. I wanted the room, not the 3rd seat, so it stays down all the time.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
I am glad people on here are finally starting to realize that towing with these new downsized suv is not the way to go. Emperiorr andy will eventually get someone hurt or killed overloading these suv and telling people they can tow with no problems. If DOT ever starts enforcing laws on the general public like they do on us that tow for a living they would make alot of money off of people that are more worried about comfort and status than safety in their tow vehicles.
One problem is that sometimes people plan based on the advertised "towing capacity", which is meaningless. E.g. VW Touareg (BTW, a very capable vehicle and is used here just for illustration purposes only) has a 7700# towing capacity. Assuming 770# is on the tongue and the gas/DEF tanks are full, you are only left with 150# of payload for a driver -- that's it. I doubt most people want to tow a camper just by themselves. They usually have family members/gears/etc. Reality is that payload, tongue weight, and front/rear axle weight ratings will limit the towing capacity way before the maximum towing capacity is reached.

Besides, the maximum towing capacity of cars/trucks is not being measured in an objective way, and many times is inflated by car companies for marketing purposes (hence things like the 80% rule to counter that). Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), came up with a test plan to objectively determine the max towing capacity of cars/trucks. One of the tests was that a car/truck should be able to do a 0 to 60 with max towing capacity in less than 30 seconds. Another test, they have to go up a mountainous road with AC on and with a specific speed without overheating, and other tests. Toyota accepted the standard (kudos to them), and revised its towing capacities (Sequoia's tow rating dropped from 10000# to 7400#). GM agreed to implement the standard as well, but backed away when Ford did not implement the standard (BTW, Ford, GM and Chrysler all had input on how the tests should be designed). The reason the big three did not accept the standard is that they know their cars/truck will be down rated and nobody wants to be the first. So I would take the towing capacity of the big three cars/trucks with a grain of salt.

I think MB is very conservative with their tow ratings; they are not advertising their cars/trucks as tow vehicles, hence they advertise the "actual" tow rating. I know of several people on a Benz forum that have maxed the tongue weight/payload/axle ratings/tow rating and the truck still performed.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #24

2015 23' International
yacolt , Washington
Mercedes GL320 towing ROCKS

[QUOTE=rostam;1306647]Attached are some photos of the hitch on our 2012 GL. Looks very different than the recalled hitch on older GLs (I had seen those in a Benz forum).[/QUOTE

I agree we just had the local Portland oregon MB dealer install a new factory hitch. We are Towing a 2015 Airstream sig 23. The diesel combined with that amazing heavy Mercedes factory hitch pulled like a dream. So check this out. I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 diesel with bigger exhaust and cold air intake,larger higher output fuel pump. I towed the same Airstream trailer and drove the same route to the beach. On the steep hill passes the Mercedes Gl320 kicked the Dodges butt! The Gl had more power and of course a superior ride,comfort and handling. SOLD SOLD SOLD BABY! I am using a Curt pro anti sway and weight distribution hitch as well as the Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller. Todd
espresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #25

Currently Looking...
Oneonta , New York
Towing a big airstream with GL350

Many folks in the MB world are towing large air streams with 900+ lb tongue weights, etc. Does anyone know the max tongue weight allowed on the current GL350? Rear axle GAWR? I don't see it on the MB site in the specs-, just the 7500lb towing capacity.
Thanks
Regalflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
The 2011 was 700 lbs.

I've said this before, but...

The hitch can be reinforced by Can Am, but no one has told me where other components, such as the tranny can be beefed up to accommodate the heavier rigs.

I feel my 2011's transmission suffered by towing our old 23FC.

Of course this is IMHO only.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote