Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #1

Las Vegas , Nevada
BC or Bambi more aerodynamic?

Does anybody know if the Basecamp is more or less aerodynamic than the Bambi or caravel? It appears that it might be, but I know looks can be deceiving. I want to tow with a Tesla model Y so aerodynamics is key.
Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Neither one is particularly super. Both are terrific compared to a flat front SOB. I would be more concerned with payload than drag.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
BC or Bambi more aerodynamic?

Can Am RV has pulled a BC with a base Kia Soul with a 1.6 and a manual transmission. Having towed an 8’ wide Airstream with a non-turbo 2.4 litre engine in the past, I’d say a 2.4 is the minimum engine size for comfortable highway towing. Since the Soul did the job, the BC must be notably more aerodynamic.

Andy might weigh in since he’s been experimenting with a Model 3 for some time now and probably has the best understanding of how an EV performs while towing.

One more thought. Power is not an issue whatsoever. The biggest reason to focus on aerodynamics is range.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #4

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
Can Am RV has pulled a BC with a base Kia Soul with a 1.6 and a manual transmission. Having towed an 8’ wide Airstream with a non-turbo 2.4 litre engine in the past, I’d say a 2.4 is the minimum engine size for comfortable highway towing. Since the Soul did the job, the BC must be notably more aerodynamic.

Andy might weigh in since he’s been experimenting with a Model 3 for some time now and probably has the best understanding of how an EV performs while towing.

One more thought. Power is not an issue whatsoever. The biggest reason to focus on aerodynamics is range.
Thank you! I’m familiar with his tests with the model 3, but not the Kia.I will look it up.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Personally, I'd give the 22 Sport a look. It's narrower, 7.5ft, and nicely equipped. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #6

Las Vegas , Nevada
I’m only a few weeks into the airstream world, but am I right to assume the Sport is what they call the Bambi now? Looks like it from the pictures. My only issue with the Sport is I immediately start thinking I might as well just get the Caravel 22, then I start looking into the Flying Cloud, and it gets expensive real quick. I’m considering living in it full time though so more space and nicer seems like the way to go so I don’t regret it, but at the same time this will be my first RV so I probably shouldn’t jump straight into the deep end either.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Alexandria , Virginia
I have a Bambi 16 Sport curb lbs 2800 lbs max 3500 lbs 2019 and have towed quite successfully with my 2018 Mazda CX 9.I am getting a Tesla 2021/22 Model X hopefully in Jan 22 that tows up to 5000 lbs and has a 360 mile range that should give me a towing range of at least 50% i.e. 180 miles.I took a deep breath and bit the price difference between the model Y and X because of range/storage and new upgrades.Be wary of the negative/significant range degradation with EV towing as you step up speed above 55mph.
Congrats on your Airstream and Tesla marriage.
Ron1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Las Vegas , Nevada
Oh I don’t have either yet, but it’s what I’m fantasizing about hopefully getting in the future. Congrats on the X, that’ll be amazing I’m sure!