Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Basic Towing Questions and answers for tow vehicles

Hi All,
I'm getting ready to buy my very first Airstream, and I need to figure out exactly what towing equipment I'll need. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra which came with the "towing package", though I have never towed with this vehicle. I have done a little reading now in these forums, but, honestly, I don't really know what all the parts and pieces are that are required for towing. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
reshecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings reshecca!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Hi All,
I'm getting ready to buy my very first Airstream, and I need to figure out exactly what towing equipment I'll need. I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra which came with the "towing package", though I have never towed with this vehicle. I have done a little reading now in these forums, but, honestly, I don't really know what all the parts and pieces are that are required for towing. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

The following questions typically need to be answered about your tow vehicle prior to towing:
  • Good luck with your investigation!
  • Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
After reading overlander64's detailed answer, I can only add one thing:

The trailer goes in back.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Wow, thank you for all the information.... and the humor
It appears that the tow package that I have includes the transmission cooler as well as a class 4 hitch, a heavy duty 130A alternator, and a 7 pin connector with converter. Though, I don't really know what the last part means - what would the converter be?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Basic Towing Questions....

Greetings reshecca!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshecca View Post
Wow, thank you for all the information.... and the humor
It appears that the tow package that I have includes the transmission cooler as well as a class 4 hitch, a heavy duty 130A alternator, and a 7 pin connector with converter. Though, I don't really know what the last part means - what would the converter be?
The converter in your tow package refers to the tail light circuits. In modern tow vehicles with separate lights for brake and turn signals often identified by amber signal light lenses in the rear of the vehicle), the converter is necessary to mate the tow vehicle to many, particularly older, travel trailers as well as utility trailers. The converter also acts as a fused link between the trailer and the tow vehicle in some cases.

The converter may also refer to a device used to adapt the seven-pole connector to be used with a four-or-six-pole connector, but I suspect its application is more likely in the tail light circuit.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We also have an 2006 Tundra with tow package. It came from the factory with hitch receiver, 7-pin connector, transmission cooler, and wired with plug-in for a brake controller. To tow our new 2007 20' Safari SE we added a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller (the one that comes with the pre-wired plug-in cable for Toyota Tundra), an Equal-i-zer 1000" weight distribution and 4-point sway control hitch, and Tow-N-See side mirror extensions (flat on left and concave on right). Tows our trailer perfectly and economically, but I could not recommend a larger trailer because I haven't tried anything larger. Our travel preference is off the freeways at moderate speeds as a safety measure as well a more pleasant and scenic trip.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We also have an 2006 Tundra with tow package. It came from the factory with hitch receiver, 7-pin connector, transmission cooler, and wired with plug-in for a brake controller. To tow our new 2007 20' Safari SE we added a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller (the one that comes with the pre-wired plug-in cable for Toyota Tundra), an Equal-i-zer 1000" weight distribution and 4-point sway control hitch, and Tow-N-See side mirror extensions (flat on left and concave on right). Tows our trailer perfectly and economically, but I could not recommend a larger trailer because I haven't tried anything larger. Our travel preference is off the freeways at moderate speeds as a safety measure as well a more pleasant and scenic trip.
I'm still trying to figure out if my Tundra is pre-wired for a brake controller. Was this a standard part of the tow package for your '06 Tundra?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
reshecca, yes it is pre-wired for a brake controller if it has the tow package. There will be a 7-pin connector next to the hitch in the back for connecting the trailer. If you open the driver's door, the under-dashboard courtesy light will be shining right on the brake controller plug. It is a white plug with a white protective cap on it, and has several wires coming out the back side. It is located just above the plastic foot kick-board on the side, and should be taped to a larger wire bundle there. You can order a Tekonsha brake controller with a specific wiring harness included that will plug right into this connector, after removing the white protective cap.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
If you open the driver's door, the under-dashboard courtesy light will be shining right on the brake controller plug. It is a white plug with a white protective cap on it, and has several wires coming out the back side. It is located just above the plastic foot kick-board on the side, and should be taped to a larger wire bundle there.
Does this look like the correct plug? I apologize for the blurry photo, the angle was a little awkward...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8160006.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	85484  
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Reshecca, you have been busy today.

We had a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7 L. V8 and bought a 2008 Safari 25' FB. We believed the '02 wasn't enough truck for that heavy a trailer. Some people do tow pretty heavy trailers with the early first generation Tundras and seem to be happy. The '06 has a higher horsepower version of the 4.7 L. engine. I don't know how that would tow. I think a substantially lighter Airstream than a 25' may match well with your Tundra. We replaced a perfectly good '02 with an '07 with the 5.7 L. engine and it tows very well. The 2nd generation Tundras are very overbuilt for a 1/2 ton truck.

The real issue is payload for any 1/2 ton truck and depending on what trailer you want, the '06 may or may not be ok.

You will be advised over and over on this Forum to buy the trailer you want and then decide what tow vehicle is right for the trailer. That, in my opinion, is good advice. Airstreams cost a lot more than most tow vehicles and are easier to replace. The trailer is with you for a long time. If you select the wrong trailer, the loss on depreciation is very large. In fact, it's a good idea to look for a well cared for one several years old.

So, start looking at Airstreams—go to dealers and just hang out in them and check them out. Go to a rally and check the trailers out and ask questions. Airstream owners are passionate and will talk about their trailers until you can't stand it (you'll be the same way—it's a symptom of aluminitus, an incurable disease). Check the classifieds and see what people are selling. Keep reading on the Forum because there's a lot to learn.

When you focus on the trailer you want, then you'll know what it weighs, what the tongue weight is, and can see if your Tundra or another truck is the one to pull it with. If you go longer than 25', then you may have to buy a 3/4 ton truck. I think the 27' Flying Cloud (formerly Safari) FB could be pulled with a 1/2 ton Tundra, but some will advise not to do it. In fact, some will advise 3/4 ton diesel for any trailer but a Bambi—but that seems like overkill.

Seems like you already have aluminitus and take a deep breath and take your time. There'll still be truck and Airstream deals out there in September and October. Sales are still slow.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Reshecca, you have been busy today.
Yes, I have been busy....

Thank you for the advice. My Tundra is the 2006 4.7L V8 with towing package, and I have settled on a 20' Flying Cloud. At a GVWR of 5000lbs, the AS comes in below the towing capacity of my Tundra (6900lbs). I don't recall the hitch weight right now, but I did look at those numbers and, again, it's well within the capacity of my truck. If I ever do decide to get a larger AS I agree that I will definitely need to reconsider my tow vehicle.....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yes reshecca, that is the brake controller connector. Tekonsha (and maybe others) make a Toyota-specific brake controller with a complete harness (no splicing) that will plug right into this connector. (I worked with aircraft wiring many years and do not like wire splices, unless soldered.)
Old 08-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just a note that may save you lots of money on the Airstream. The 2008 Safari 20 SE and the newer Flying Cloud 20 are virtually identical. The big difference is cost. You may be able to make a great deal on any 2008 still in inventory this fall.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Hi All, this is my first post with a question and request for advise, we are taking delivery of a 30 foot Flying Cloud. My sense is that our 2009 LR3 landrover will not be the right fit but would appreciate any feedback, thank you.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Just looked up your tow rating on trailerlife.com (http://www.trailerlife.com/Towing-Gu...-Towing-Guide/) You're limited to 7716 pounds, as long as trailer comes with trailer brakes, which every new Airstream trailer has. Airstream you're considering (Airstream, Inc :: Specifications) has a "base weight" 6322, so you're under your tow rating, by almost 1400 pounds. Of course, options on trailer, as well as any items you store in trailer, along with water in tank, fresh, gray and black, along with propane will make your base weight higher.
My suggestion would be to see if the dealer could weigh the trailer so you'd have an idea of your weight, before you start stocking it with necessary items (clothes, pots, pans, food, etc.)
Depending on your plans for travel, your LR3 may be the perfect tow vehicle, or if you're heading for the Rockies, may not be the perfect tow vehicle. Just my opinion on the LR3. But, for all practical purposes, your LR3 is within the tow ratings.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Thank You, appreciate the feedback, I have also heard that the issue may not be the tow capacity but the short wheel base on the LR3, still checking.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
bde,

The 30' FC GVWR is 8,880 lbs., significantly more than the tow capacity of your vehicle. If you bring few clothes or food, leave the fresh water tank empty and empty the black tank every day, you could get below the capacity of the Land Rover. You would have little margin for error and would be maxing out the Land Rover. It is important to check the payload of the LR to see how much you can bring in that.

The LR vehicle has a reputation for unreliability, so buying a tow vehicle with a better reliability would be a good move. Getting stuck by the side of the road with a 30' trailer is not a lot of fun.

The LR's short wheel base may also be a factor. Tractor trailers have much longer trailers than tractors and most don't jackknife, but some do.

Gene
Old 11-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #18
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Thank you all for your great advise, we have decided to move forward and sell the LR3 and get a Ford Diesel F250.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Good call on F250 truck.. There is an entire thread recently updated on LR3's as tow vehicles.. Short wheelbase and limited hitch weight are both serious problems for a 30' Airstream...

Good news is that any 3/4 ton truck with average to long wheelbase will work for your trailer.. Need not be diesel, need not be new, although new diesels are quiet and very luxurious, if expensive...

If you haven't bought truck already, viable options include:

Chevy Suburban 2500 or GMC Yukon XL 2500
Ford Excursion (Diesel or V10 preferred..)
Ford F250 Pickups - any cab or bed

I agree with views of other posters, that Truck is afterthought once you've found the right trailer.. There are a lot of ways to solve towing problem, but not a lot of perfect matches in trailer, floorplan, decor, etc... You can find decent tow vehicle for $5K or $50K and anywhere in between... Good luck!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
bde, there are lots of threads discussing the pros and cons of diesel vs. gas engines. Modern gas engines have plenty of power to tow a 30' trailer, lower initial price and lower maintenance costs. If you want to keep the truck for hundreds of thousands of miles, costs may equal out, but most people don't keep a truck that long.

Gene