Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Silverale , Washington
Question Backup Camera for Silverado 2500HD

Hi Guys, hoping to get some intel before I purchase a backup camera system.
Ideal product would be an easy self install very small camera.
Looking for maybe something that integrates into the License Frame or that sits fairly inconspicuously flush on the back of the trailer.

Would love something that would integrate right into the current camera system on the truck, but all those appear to be hard wired modules.
So instead of that pricey option, maybe something that would use a smartphone app and then when android auto is connected will display the camera image on the truck screen.
Anyone familiar with anything like that?

I know there are simple license frame wireless cameras for android just not sure if then your only option is to actually use your smartphone display, would prefer to have that projected onto the trucks display.

I really don't want a big fancy bulky camera sticking out from the back of the trailer, this little trailer doesn't need that mess.

I spoke with my local Chevy dealership and looked at their wired modules... over $1k installed, definitely not worth that and of course they appear to be big bulky cameras.
Honestly I don't really need one for my little basecamp, I am just looking at relatively simple and reasonably priced options to consider.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2018 Audi Q5
F15DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Silverale , Washington
https://www.amazon.com/License-Green...7-93deae8f9840
2018 Audi Q5
Old 06-22-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15DOC View Post
Hi Guys, hoping to get some intel before I purchase a backup camera system.
Ideal product would be an easy self install very small camera.
Looking for maybe something that integrates into the License Frame or that sits fairly inconspicuously flush on the back of the trailer.

Would love something that would integrate right into the current camera system on the truck, but all those appear to be hard wired modules.
So instead of that pricey option, maybe something that would use a smartphone app and then when android auto is connected will display the camera image on the truck screen.
Anyone familiar with anything like that?

I know there are simple license frame wireless cameras for android just not sure if then your only option is to actually use your smartphone display, would prefer to have that projected onto the trucks display.

I really don't want a big fancy bulky camera sticking out from the back of the trailer, this little trailer doesn't need that mess.

I spoke with my local Chevy dealership and looked at their wired modules... over $1k installed, definitely not worth that and of course they appear to be big bulky cameras.
Honestly I don't really need one for my little basecamp, I am just looking at relatively simple and reasonably priced options to consider.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Most of what I see for ;'cheap'' is garbage chinamart throw away junk.

The airstream installed brand, off hand I forget, works well and only responds to the monitor it is paired with which I think stops some of the intermittent problems of losing signal by connecting to someone going past me.

MOre expensive. but you get what you pay for with electronics.

Your biggest problem is getting the range you need to transmit back to the monitor. Cheap ones dont transmit far.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Silverale , Washington
But that defeats my purpose... I guess I didn't clearly state:
I do not want another monitor in my cab....
2018 Audi Q5
Old 06-22-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Generally, the video systems within a vehicle are pretty locked down and only work with the "factory" accessories such as cameras. Almost any aftermarket system will not integrate with the factory systems.

The factory camera can be purchased for less than $400 (https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...ailer-85004154) provided you have a compatible display already.

In order to cast a wider net to more than just Airstream users, I would also try one of the GM truck forums such as https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/for...-hd-sierra-hd/
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Check out the Haloview RD10. Small camera that can attach with 3M tape and the monitor becomes your rear view mirror, so no video on dash. Use search here on Forums or Google for info.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Silverale , Washington
Yep, I have seen that, but my truck already has an integrated camera in the mirror...
2018 Audi Q5
Old 06-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How about this?
License plate camera, app uses smartphone?

https://www.amazon.com/License-Wirel..._t2_B07PKD87VH

or

https://www.amazon.com/License-Green..._t1_B08S6RV311

I first thought of the Garmin BC-40 but that talks to a Garmin GPS.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
SAN ANTONIO , TX
I completely understand not wanting some bulky camera on the back of your trailer and trust me I was there last year as well. But nothing beats having the factory GMC/Chevy camera and the integration into the screen. I had the wireless ones before and they were alright but the hardwire factory one integrates very well into my 2021 Chevy 2500 and I love having everything right at my fingertips to switch between the camera and tire monitors. And no additional monitors to mount on the dash or having to watch it on my smartphone. Just my opinion but I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Winter Haven , Florida
Look at this one

NVision 60195VA, I installed on my 2006 Silverado about four yrs ago and works fine. Comes with everything you need to install. Also sys comes with object sensors. One down side is the monitor is small.
Chief Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:17 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1211 View Post
I completely understand not wanting some bulky camera on the back of your trailer and trust me I was there last year as well. But nothing beats having the factory GMC/Chevy camera and the integration into the screen. I had the wireless ones before and they were alright but the hardwire factory one integrates very well into my 2021 Chevy 2500 and I love having everything right at my fingertips to switch between the camera and tire monitors. And no additional monitors to mount on the dash or having to watch it on my smartphone. Just my opinion but I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.
So I just got a new GMC 2500 AT4 which came with the factory trailer's camera, and I would love to use it instead of the existing wireless Voyager cam (which suddenly gives me "No Signal"... )
How do you mount it while keeping the black cable out of sight?
Thanks!
ZeviB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15DOC View Post
But that defeats my purpose... I guess I didn't clearly state:
I do not want another monitor in my cab....
As someone said you might find one that works with a phone app, but good luck with that. I don't know of any. I'm driving an F150 and I have plenty of room for the dedicated monitor. Anything installed by ford factory is not going to play with anything else.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
Generally, the video systems within a vehicle are pretty locked down and only work with the "factory" accessories such as cameras. Almost any aftermarket system will not integrate with the factory systems.

The factory camera can be purchased for less than $400 (https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...ailer-85004154) provided you have a compatible display already.

In order to cast a wider net to more than just Airstream users, I would also try one of the GM truck forums such as https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/for...-hd-sierra-hd/
Yes, but there are great companies like this one:

https://www.gm-navigation.com/

Who can solve his OEM problem. They have been around a while and do a lot of OEM integration.

OP: Check out that site and look into the additional backup camera options for your truck. They support the big 3.

Hope this helps.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
SAN ANTONIO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeviB View Post
So I just got a new GMC 2500 AT4 which came with the factory trailer's camera, and I would love to use it instead of the existing wireless Voyager cam (which suddenly gives me "No Signal"... )
How do you mount it while keeping the black cable out of sight?
Thanks!
So unfortunately you can't completely hide the black cable but I did my best. Ran it under the trailer and then up the back. Doesn't look the best but I was okay with the look in order to get the functionality of the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	418206   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	418207  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	418208   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	418209  

Old 06-24-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
So unfortunately you can't completely hide the black cable but I did my best. Ran it under the trailer and then up the back. Doesn't look the best but I was okay with the look in order to get the functionality of the camera.
Thank you for the images and details! Yes, it looks better than I imagined.
I was thinking about replacing the existing Voyager cam that is mounted at the roof line, which would make the installation look worse.
Still trying to resolve the "No Signal" issue before trying something else.
Cheers, Zevi
Old 06-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
SAN ANTONIO , TX
Quote:
Thank you for the images and details! Yes, it looks better than I imagined.
I was thinking about replacing the existing Voyager cam that is mounted at the roof line, which would make the installation look worse.
Still trying to resolve the "No Signal" issue before trying something else.
Cheers, Zevi
You getting the “no signal” from Vogager camera or the GM camera? If from GM camera send me a message and I can hopefully help you with that as I had to troubleshoot mine as well but now it’s working like a charm. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
You getting the “no signal” from Vogager camera or the GM camera? If from GM camera send me a message and I can hopefully help you with that as I had to troubleshoot mine as well but now it’s working like a charm. Good luck!
From the Voyager, not the GMC. Given that it is factory installed and it worked in the past - I want to get it functioning because it offers the cleanest solution.

The good news is that I talked to the makers of Voyager (ASA) and they knew what I was talking about; aparently the advanced trailering packages on the newer GMCs prevent the camera from getting a solid power signal. There's a special pigtail cable made with a resistor that should be installed (spliced) into the line that feeds the camera, so as to provide steady power to the camera.
She was sending it to me for free! What a great customer service.
I received it today, and hopefully I'll get to install it in the next few days and see.
Thank you, Zevi
Old 06-28-2022, 07:17 AM   #18
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I installed the GM camera a few weeks ago.

Very easy with the 3" lift on our AS.

Along the bottom I drilled out several rivets and replaced them with rubber coated loops riveted in and the black sticky square/zip tie in other locations.

It took about an hour. Came down the passenger side and coiled above the propane tanks and zipped to the propane line (with hose protection) up and then to the harness to the truck.

In the back I remounted the camera the opposite direction on the mount and put it right under the Globetrotter placard then wrapped it with the black squares around the license plate and along the bumper storage until I got it underneath.

Looks ok.

My long term goal is to mill an aluminum cover that will replace the really cheesy plastic license plate bracket and the (very sturdy but ugly) camera mount with something more elegant and secure.

Love the GM camera! They did a fantastic job on it functionally. Now I hope to make it aesthetically pleasing...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Late to this one... I have a 2020 GMC 2500 with the factory camera package (probably the same as yours). I was able to get ahold of the wired camera that connects directly into the truck. I mounted it on the back of my 27ft Flying Cloud and ran the wires under the trailer. I still have the camera on top of the Airstream, but the quality of that camera is horrible, and I didn't want yet another monitor mounted in the cab. The bonus is the very cool invisible trailer mode, which uses various other cameras and merges the images. I have a very early model and I don't think they had all the kinks worked out yet because it often will loose the camera settings and it has to recalibrate itself before that mode is available, but even without that mode, the standard full image is available and well worth it.

The camera wasn't cheap, but I had some GM credit I was able to apply to mine and so it wasn't horrible.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote