Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #121
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
You're right jcl, insurance generally covers everything but deliberate acts with intended malice, but the degree of protection from liability lawsuits depends on your coverage limits so the risk is still very real. Also risk of being canceled oh having outrageous future premiums is very real as you say.
Just out of interest, do liability coverage limits across the US vary widely? What is common? I run $5 million on our vehicles, and have underinsured coverage so I get increased coverage for my own benefit if someone causes a crash with me and has less insurance. as well as personal liability coverage beyond the vehicle coverage, but I don’t know if all this is commonplace for other posters.

Jeff
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #122
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
I haven't read my coverage but if you deliberately/knowingly exceed GVWR I would not be surprised if your insurance refuses to cover either your collision or the liability if you hit someone else in the process.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #123
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
I haven't read my coverage but if you deliberately/knowingly exceed GVWR I would not be surprised if your insurance refuses to cover either your collision or the liability if you hit someone else in the process.
Is that the same for exceeding posted speed limits? That coverage is denied and you are on the hook yourself in the event of a crash where speed was judged to be a factor?
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #124
Rivet Master
 
ITSNO60's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Source?

Speed limits in Europe were generally similar when I lived and worked there. I just looked up the UK and towing speed limits are 60 mph or 70 mph depending on highway classification. Germany has a higher speed limit if your combination is TUV inspected. I recall California is 55 mph. I donít know which other states have towing-specific speed limits.

No additional drivers licence required in the UK, until you get into commercial vehicles and weights, the same 3500 kg that most light duty vehicles use for an upper tow weight rating.

I think most reduced tow ratings in the US have to do with fear of litigation, since there are differences between the US and Canada as well in terms of tow ratings, and the vehicles and driving conditions are very similar. That can be an issue, but it points to the US tow rating not always being a technically derived rating.
This article sums up some of (see first link) it however you are correct in that the speed limit can vary in the Europe part of the UK. A regular car license allows you to tow a small trailer up to 1,653 lbs or combined 7,716 GCVW and there are 4 additional "entitlements" you can get for different tow vehicles and trailers. When you obtained your license also figures into the equation. (see the second link). In summary my point is that other countries seem to have a more common sense approach compared to the US.
https://www.admiral.com/magazine/gui...-uk-and-abroad
https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules#:~:t...an%203%2C500kg.
__________________
Brian
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #125
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Is that the same for exceeding posted speed limits? That coverage is denied and you are on the hook yourself in the event of a crash where speed was judged to be a factor?
No but when you take the car to a deliberate speed event (track) it is not covered. Manufacturer will be the same; many warranty items will be void if you have deliberately and knowingly exceeded specifications.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #126
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Likely all of them. It is, after all, their job.
Show me...
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #127
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,104
You don’t see many lite weight tow vehicles in MT...we have wind and passes..
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #128
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
1)

4). My approach is to understand the context for the ratings, and apply them based on that understanding. For example, I always respect tire and axle ratings, at least when towing at public road speeds. I have exceeded them at very low speeds when moving things off highway or on closed roads, on occasion. A large and heavy parade float behind my X5 comes to mind. I always respect GVWR limits when solely hauling, especially if it is a commercial trip, but not necessarily when towing recreationally, if using WD. I consider many tow ratings to have little technical basis. Not all. I wouldnít want to exceed the tow rating of a recent North American pickup, or even necessarily tow at the capacity rating, as I think the manufacturers are already pushing it. I donít consider some receiver ratings to be very accurate, but wouldnít exceed one without investigation and some judgement. That doesnít have to include FEA or fatigue considerations to me, it could simply be an evaluation of the design and comparison to other offerings, more a state of the art evaluation, best practices.

For all of the ratings, I donít set out to arbitrarily reclaim some of the built in safety factor, because it isnít mine to use, the designer put it in for a reason. I think it is risky to just say that there is a safety factor so ďsheíll be rightď, as my Australian friends like to say.

I think there can be too much focus on the numbers. I donít think ratings by themselves make a combination safe, and there is a tendency for some to assume their safety based on being under ratings. What the article at the beginning of this thread said, when discussing 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup alternatives, was that in many cases the 1/2 ton could be part of a safer combination, due to better handling, better match, TV suspension design, etc, considering the ability of the vehicle to handle axle loads, and despite the GVWR. That the GVWR could be arbitrary when considering towing with WD. Not that it always was. But IMO all the discussion has been more about the words arbitrary and meaningless, not so much about the meat of the proposition, which was to not just focus on the rating, especially for when other items traded off in the pursuit of a higher rating compromise the result instead of improving it.

I can't be sure jcl, but my interpretation of your explanation is that you live in an alternate reality where you can suppose things you want to be true come true. I get that if we sometimes don't know how the numbers were derived and you can't be sure, but it is a leap to presume they are wrong. It is also a leap to construct just so stories about how they may be wrong. I would argue that if you don't have factual evidence, one should assume they are correct.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #129
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I can't be sure jcl, but my interpretation of your explanation is that you live in an alternate reality where you can suppose things you want to be true come true. I get that if we sometimes don't know how the numbers were derived and you can't be sure, but it is a leap to presume they are wrong. It is also a leap to construct just so stories about how they may be wrong. I would argue that if you don't have factual evidence, one should assume they are correct.
You are conflating wrong, meaning calculated incorrectly, with less relevant than other factors.

You appear to be operating under the belief that all of the ratings being referred to are the primary determinants for safe operation. I would call that an alternate reality.

You used to post that all of us should follow manufacturers recommendations. Because manufacturers know best. Now in another thread you are determining if 100% FALR can actually improve the setup. You are getting there.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:42 PM   #130
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
No but when you take the car to a deliberate speed event (track) it is not covered. Manufacturer will be the same; many warranty items will be void if you have deliberately and knowingly exceeded specifications.
Let’s leave aside the potential warranty impacts due to a change in duty cycle, and stay with insurance. Also, we are discussing on road operation, not racing. Agree that insurance policies can have clauses restricting coverage during competitive events,

So if one breaks the law by operating over the speed limit, and causes a crash, it seems we agree that insurance coverage won’t be impacted.

But you suggested that exceeding a GVWR (in private operation, not a commercial carrier, where GVWR is regulated) can have an impact on insurance. In Maryland, is exceeding GVWR an offence for private vehicle operation? In your state code, the references to GVWR I found impact driver licensing. Maybe there are other regulations, Can you provide a reference? Because if it isn’t illegal, then what is the basis for potentially impacting insurance claims solely due to the GVWR issue?
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:27 AM   #131
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 367
The vehicle manufacturers make it very clear not to exceed any of the weight ratings, yet those that believe they are smart try to rationalize why it’s ok. This whole argument is useless. Towing safe, towing within manufacturers limits, and towing legal are basically three different concepts. Towing safely is in the head of driver, how fast he travels, how he loads his equipment, the decisions he makes. Towing within manufacturers limits is self explanatory, get over it. Towing legal is staying within federal and local laws in which many only apply to commercial but there are some for the consumer. While there is some overlap between those points the consumer needs to satisfy all three of those and not ignore what is inconvenient for them.
__________________
Warning Message
Caution! Most advice given here is nothing more than a subjective opinion. Please reference the vehicles owner manual for instruction on towing and hitch use which is based on physics, facts, and research.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #132
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,697
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
The vehicle manufacturers make it very clear not to exceed any of the weight ratings, yet those that believe they are smart try to rationalize why itís ok. This whole argument is useless. Towing safe, towing within manufacturers limits, and towing legal are basically three different concepts. Towing safely is in the head of driver, how fast he travels, how he loads his equipment, the decisions he makes. Towing within manufacturers limits is self explanatory, get over it. Towing legal is staying within federal and local laws in which many only apply to commercial but there are some for the consumer. While there is some overlap between those points the consumer needs to satisfy all three of those and not ignore what is inconvenient for them.
I have to say, this makes more sense than perhaps anything I have ever read on this subject.
For going on 9 years now, I have been reading threads about tow vehicle limits and I believe this is the simplest, most eloquent assessment I have read.
Thank you...
__________________
Loving our 2021 Globetrotter 25 shopping for the next tow vehicle and 2020 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali Duramax.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #133
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Is that the same for exceeding posted speed limits? That coverage is denied and you are on the hook yourself in the event of a crash where speed was judged to be a factor?
If you read Michigan traffic law (I have the entire book from Academy) a vehicle that is exceeding the speed limit no longer has right of way, even if it did. With vehicle black boxes and dash cams everywhere I would be very careful if you speed.

Unless there are obvious signs of overload or a commercial vehicle involved Iíve never seen investigators weigh anything. Driver actions are always the first thing they look at. Usually someone runs a traffic signal or does something obvious and it ends there. If you run a red light and I slam into your vehicle it will be on dash camera and my vehicle loading wonít matter (donít get all excited, Iím well within limits without ever going to a scale).
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16Ē tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #134
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I generally agree that not all ratings are meaningless, but some ratings can be arbitrary, like the reduced GVWR label designed to avoid registration fees, or a reduced rating associated with a light duty receiver. That rating can still be meaningful, but more in reference to the receiver, not the overall vehicle. The references to payload being less meaningful were about when towing, not when applying point loads in a truck bed. The thread title was designed to provoke, not clarify, IMO.

The biggest issue I have with tow ratings is when posters relate them to ďguaranteeingĒ their safety. They donít, and I think it is misleading when some suggest they do.
Most people on here are not engineers. They read and try to follow label instructions. For example, there is a sticker in my F350 with a little picture of a truck tipping over. As an engineer I have no use for the little sticker but if it werenít there someone else might kill themself in the truck. I always try to remember this when reading any forum threads.
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16Ē tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #135
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar
 
2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,697
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most people on here are not engineers. They read and try to follow label instructions. For example, there is a sticker in my F350 with a little picture of a truck tipping over. As an engineer I have no use for the little sticker but if it werenít there someone else might kill themself in the truck. I always try to remember this when reading any forum threads.
Iím trying to remember if my GMC has that sticker...
Iíve seen it in lots of vehicles but donít remember it in this one. Maybe Iíve seen it so many times that it no longer registers.
__________________
Loving our 2021 Globetrotter 25 shopping for the next tow vehicle and 2020 GMC 2500 Sierra Denali Duramax.
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #136
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Iím trying to remember if my GMC has that sticker...
Iíve seen it in lots of vehicles but donít remember it in this one. Maybe Iíve seen it so many times that it no longer registers.
Since youíve apparently not rolled your truck I assume youíll live without the sticker!
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16Ē tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #137
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You are conflating wrong, meaning calculated incorrectly, with less relevant than other factors.

You appear to be operating under the belief that all of the ratings being referred to are the primary determinants for safe operation. I would call that an alternate reality.

You used to post that all of us should follow manufacturers recommendations. Because manufacturers know best. Now in another thread you are determining if 100% FALR can actually improve the setup. You are getting there.
Apples to Oranges since when you are below towing limits, manufacturers don't provide guidance on optimizing set-up unfortunately.

I think we would both agree our position is not so much different than it seems. The major difference is when we don't know for sure, I am more judging, I want hard evidence and prefer to say we don't know. You seem to be more intuitive and are more willing to speculate with the circumstantial evidence available. I suppose there is some merit in both.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #138
Rivet Master
 
2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profxd View Post
The vehicle manufacturers make it very clear not to exceed any of the weight ratings, yet those that believe they are smart try to rationalize why itís ok. This whole argument is useless. Towing safe, towing within manufacturers limits, and towing legal are basically three different concepts. Towing safely is in the head of driver, how fast he travels, how he loads his equipment, the decisions he makes. Towing within manufacturers limits is self explanatory, get over it. Towing legal is staying within federal and local laws in which many only apply to commercial but there are some for the consumer. While there is some overlap between those points the consumer needs to satisfy all three of those and not ignore what is inconvenient for them.
I agree with Bruce, this was very well stated and persuasive.
__________________
Brian
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #139
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Letís leave aside the potential warranty impacts due to a change in duty cycle, and stay with insurance. Also, we are discussing on road operation, not racing. Agree that insurance policies can have clauses restricting coverage during competitive events,

So if one breaks the law by operating over the speed limit, and causes a crash, it seems we agree that insurance coverage wonít be impacted.

But you suggested that exceeding a GVWR (in private operation, not a commercial carrier, where GVWR is regulated) can have an impact on insurance. In Maryland, is exceeding GVWR an offence for private vehicle operation? In your state code, the references to GVWR I found impact driver licensing. Maybe there are other regulations, Can you provide a reference? Because if it isnít illegal, then what is the basis for potentially impacting insurance claims solely due to the GVWR issue?
I haven't checked my insurance coverage regarding GVWR, but running your car on a track (not racing, but on a track) is perfectly legal. Most insurance companies will not cover your vehicle if you crash it at the track. So what the law says is legal and what is covered by insurance are two different things.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #140
1 Rivet Member
 
1990 32' Land Yacht
Lucan , Ontario
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 16
The engineers and technicians donít make the ratings. The lawyers do.
camp-n-family is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New axles - they're here, and they will require... drboyd Axles 34 07-17-2016 12:55 PM
New Tires - got Load Range E instead of Load Range D Hyperion 2009-2015 Flying Cloud 49 06-08-2016 06:47 PM
Show Your Tire & Load Info (Payload) Label KJRitchie Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 12 02-12-2015 09:10 AM
1/2 ton tires- load C to load E John Tires 75 03-20-2009 09:15 AM
Load bearing or not load bearing? Petethefeet Ribs, Skins & Rivets 3 04-27-2008 07:36 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.