Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Anyone here burn Bio-diesel, or vegetable oil?

With the cost of fuel at insane levels clearly this is having adverse affects on travel plans, and on a larger scale the overall RV industry including our beloved Airstreams. I am curious where Airforum members weigh in on alternative fuels.

Are any of you using bio-diesel? Are any of you burning Vegetable Oil? If so what’s it costing you? If not, then why not?

Here are a couple of links to some very interesting information on the subject of bio-fuels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_used_as_fuel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Google “bio diesel kelp” and “bio diesel algae.”
airhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
With the price of vegetable oil at $7.15 a gallon for the off brands, I'm wishing that I could deep fry chicken wings and fish in diesel oil.
InspectorDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Bio diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorDread
With the price of vegetable oil at $7.15 a gallon for the off brands, I'm wishing that I could deep fry chicken wings and fish in diesel oil.
Yes, but what about reclaimed (used) vegetable oil from restaurants etc? Also, I have heard that some people are brewing their own bio-diesel for much cheaper than what we pay at the pump. It would be great to know if any Air-compadres have any experience with this stuff!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
If your diesel engine is still covered under manufacture's warranty, I would think twice. Ford, for example performs oil and fuel analysis prior to authorizing any internal engine warranty repairs. In fact, using anything greater than B5 will void the engine warranty (Ford). Larry
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
While I have no experience with Bio in full sized TV’s, I’ve had plenty with VW diesels.
Last winter was pretty rough with gelling and waxing of the fuel. We add Standyne One-Shot additive when doing a maintenance.
There are also issues with whatever the black sludge is that can plug up the pick-up screens. Some think its algae, some a carbon based derivative of some kind. Google "black sludge in diesel fuel".
I believe that quality control is the greatest challenge to the bio diesel industry. Bio Willie seems to have a following among the truckers and meets the ASTM standards. When you ask one of our customers with a fuel problem where they’ve been getting their Bio you never seem to get a straight answer. There’s a lot of "Home Brewers" out there. It also seems to be a bit of an underground economy.
The best advice i can give to Bio users is installing a better than stock fuel filter and doing more frequent changes. Keeping ahead of your maintenance schedules and searching for the best fuel in you area.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
I have been using waste vegetable oil (wvo) from a local resturaunt for about 5 months. After some growing pains and learning curve things are working great. I drive my truck on a daily basis and find that I use 25% diesel and 75% oil. (I start on diesel until the oil is warmed up and switch back to diesel two miles before I turn the motor off to purge the system of oil.) We just took our trailer on a 200 mile trip and only used about 3 gallons of diesel. The oil is free but a set of filters cost about $50. They are supost to filter approx. 800 gallons per set (I will find out if that is true or not soon enough) and I use a small amount of electricity to heat the oil to aid in the filtering process. The TV is a 1950 GMC Suburban on a 1982 GMC chassis with a 6.2 deisel.
74"Twinkie" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead2
veggie/biod?...
covered here including posts from the inventor of frybird....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ers-24246.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Cool TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74"Twinkie"
I have been using waste vegetable oil (wvo) from a local resturaunt for about 5 months. After some growing pains and learning curve things are working great. I drive my truck on a daily basis and find that I use 25% diesel and 75% oil. (I start on diesel until the oil is warmed up and switch back to diesel two miles before I turn the motor off to purge the system of oil.) We just took our trailer on a 200 mile trip and only used about 3 gallons of diesel. The oil is free but a set of filters cost about $50. They are supost to filter approx. 800 gallons per set (I will find out if that is true or not soon enough) and I use a small amount of electricity to heat the oil to aid in the filtering process. The TV is a 1950 GMC Suburban on a 1982 GMC chassis with a 6.2 deisel.
Your 50' GMC TV takes the cake. It would be great to see some more pictures of it (perhaps you'll post some), very cool .

Thank you for describing your experience. It sounds like you can drive around with a feeling of satisfaction few drivers experience these days (it is motivating). Please let us know if you run into any unique maintenance related issues.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
covered here including posts from the inventor of frybird....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ers-24246.html

cheers
2air'
Thanks from one 'air' to another
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
No diesel, but e85. overall it is usually about .75c/ gallon less than unleaded and about 1.30 less than diesel. I have in the states of iowa and colorado bought it from 1.99 to an average 2.75/gallon depending on the retail outlet. independent fuel c0-ops the lowest, oil company stores the highest.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Bonney Lake , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead2
Your 50' GMC TV takes the cake. It would be great to see some more pictures of it (perhaps you'll post some), very cool .

Thank you for describing your experience. It sounds like you can drive around with a feeling of satisfaction few drivers experience these days (it is motivating). Please let us know if you run into any unique maintenance related issues.
I've added a couple of pictures to my members photo list. Unfortunately I doubled the pics that I added- Does anyone know how to delete photos from the members photo list?
74"Twinkie" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Tax Man!

Vern Townsend (53FlyingCloud) and I met a man who had converted two older Suburbans to grease cars. He gave us a very thorough tour and told us a few of the upsides and downsides. First, you definitely DO NOT want to mix veggie oil in with your diesel. You start and run on diesel until the engine reaches 160? degrees, then switch over to the filtered oil. You switch back to diesel about 2 miles before you plan to stop, to purge the system. Secondly, you can be pulled over and inspected for using improper fuel - i.e. heating oil diesel which isn't taxed for road use. Seems the home use has a dye in it, and if they catch you running a car with it, big fine!

He was pulled over because he had a big sitcker in his rear window proclaiming Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems. In his case, the mechanic who installed the second tank had rigged up the fuel supply lines incorrectly and the grease was being pumped into his diesel tank, blending the fuels and turning them a sort of ugly brown color. Net story a big fine from the state of N.C. $1000 - which he DID get refunded after the guys that had converted his car admitted that there was an installation error and that they had corrected it.

Also, and as always - the tax man has caught up with the grease car industry. In Virginia you are required to pay state and federal taxes on the miles you run on grease. The reason - a grease car puts the same amount of wear and tear on the highways that a gasoline or diesel car does. Apparently you're supposed to send the state your mileage every quarter and your conventional diesel consumption - they bill you so much per mile 19.5 cents I think, that you travelled on grease. Comes out to about $1200 per year? Oh, well we all should pay to maintain the roads I guess.

Nothing is ever easy .... or if it starts easy, it doesn't stay that way.

Paula
Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I run biodiesel when ever I can get it. Closest place is 30 miles away. I also run propane fumigation, too. I can save around $45 per tank of diesel and propane together, over just a tank of diesel, IF you can find the propane for 2/3 the cost of the diesel. Otherwise it is not really worth the trouble.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
bio diesel reactors can be bought pre-assembled on ebay for $1100-$1500 plus shipping ($350+/-). i would be brewing my own - just don't have the available footprint for the reactor and associated mess at my house. airstreaming cost me almost three bills this past weekend and i never left new jersey.
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
1955 16' Bubble
2006 25' Safari
Burlingame , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74"Twinkie" View Post
I've added a couple of pictures to my members photo list. Unfortunately I doubled the pics that I added- Does anyone know how to delete photos from the members photo list?
74' Twinkie; thanks for posting the photos of your custom GMC, very cool. I like your Argosy as well, but I guess that goes without saying given the subject matter on this forum . They look great together!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
I have run Chevron biodiesel B20 for most of this year and have had no ill effects nor have I seen any mileage improvements either. We only have have one station that sells the biodiesel. I have read on other forums that the biodiesel has more lubricity for the engine parts and that is why I buy it when possible. When I buy petro diesel I add stanadyne fuel addittive to help with the lubricity.
As for the used or waste veg. oil systems or WVO bio diesel I have also read on other forums that the salt from deep fryers is not 100% removed during refining to make the biodiesel. Which can cause corrosion with your fuel system. I am sure someone can chime in and may have run across this and no how to remove it. I would be eager to hear any replies on that myself. Also when using higher concentrations of the biodiesel you will need to use synthetic fuel hoses/lines where applicable on your vehicle and change your fuel filters more often.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead2 View Post
Your 50' GMC TV
Gee with a TV that big you could tow something like a 85 foot Airstream! Talk about room for full timing!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
When ever we have to do tank maintenance on one of our airplanes the diesel drivers here at work are like hawks circling their prey waiting for the sumped fuel. Each tank on the Herc has about 30 to 40 gals of fuel we can't legally put back in and there are 8 tanks.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote