Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2023, 09:45 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
NW Chicago 'burbs , Illinois
I took Monarch Pass this end of July and was easy breeze, wide road, sections with two lanes going up, nothing to be of concerned
but I was towing my 22' Bambi with bmw x5 45e which had tons of power
Di3s3l_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
Apparently General Motors doesn't believe it can sell enough heavy duty Suburbans and Yukons to Warrant selling them to the general public, although they continue to build a few that just are not available to us.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 06:46 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Basalt , CO
So....any general consensus on the Yukon with a new 25ft?

Why can't Airstream get their tongue weights down?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 10:38 PM   #64
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to ETroup
Consensus is hard to define. Regardless, we are pulling a 2021 AS International 27ft with a 2023 Yukon Denali Duramax with Air Suspension. We have switched to a ProPride hitch. It is a combination that works well for us.
ETroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:15 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Agree with Etroop. Our Yukon Denali (with the 6.2) is fine pulling our 27FB. Put 20k miles on it in 2 years. Everything from New Hampshire to GA, the UP in Michigan and out to the Rockies and back to PA. It’s works just fine. As for tongue weight, my fully loaded trailer with full fresh tank is 940. Totally doable. My advice is to go to a CAT scale to dial in your WD, then put this out of your mind and go camping. :-)
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:32 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
A moment of fright...

We were headed home this Saturday from a trip to Yellowstone, Grand Teton and RMNP. 2023 Diesel Suburban LT pulling 1988 29' Excella weighing in at 6500. Headed down I35 south of Fort Worth on a 4 lane, I saw an older subcompact pull up even with me and then run even. At this point things happened fast. An older (2013?) Yukon ran up to the subcompact and then tried an aggressive pass on the shoulder. The subcompact swerved onto the shoulder to prevent the pass. The Yukon ran into the median, overcorrected to avoid the fence and then headed straight toward me (from the driver side). I swerved onto the shoulder to avoid being hit. The Yukon again overcorrected into the median, regained control and sped to catch the subcompact. I don't know how their "dispute" ended, but I do know I was very pleased with the way the rig behaved. I had a couple of good tail wags (second less than the first) before I hit the (factory) trailer brake and got things straightened out. This could have been really bad without an great towing setup. I think the longer wheelbase was a plus, and the Reese dual cam weight distribution hitch with sway control did it's job well.

Yes, the rig performed well over passes with 10% grades over 8000 feet. But the real test of the setup is in the emergency handling. That is not something I wanted to test, but it got tested and passed. And we are alive to tell the story.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Why can't Airstream get their tongue weights down?
Good question. Most Airstream tongue weights are too high. This is bad for trailer stability as it promotes oversteer. The old conventional wisdom target was 10-15% tongue weight, but since tow vehicle manufacturers have been measuring oversteer the target is now 10%. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to reduce tongue weight on an Airstream. You would have to change the trailer's axle position on the frame, and this would mean the wheel wells are moved. You would have to re-do the entire floor plan.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:14 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Basalt , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
Good question. Most Airstream tongue weights are too high. This is bad for trailer stability as it promotes oversteer. The old conventional wisdom target was 10-15% tongue weight, but since tow vehicle manufacturers have been measuring oversteer the target is now 10%. Unfortunately, it's not that easy to reduce tongue weight on an Airstream. You would have to change the trailer's axle position on the frame, and this would mean the wheel wells are moved. You would have to re-do the entire floor plan.
Then this is what they should do!
Old 09-11-2023, 10:15 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Basalt , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETroup View Post
Consensus is hard to define. Regardless, we are pulling a 2021 AS International 27ft with a 2023 Yukon Denali Duramax with Air Suspension. We have switched to a ProPride hitch. It is a combination that works well for us.
I see on the Sequoia there is an option for factory air suspension...but did not see it on the Yukon.

Am I just missing it, or did you go aftermarket? Just rear or front as well? Thx
Old 09-11-2023, 10:27 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member

Oak Park , Illinois
I did tow with a Yukon XL with the 6.0L back in the day. It was a competent truck, it did work double time in rockies, but then what gasser wouldn't.

Towing with a diesel is just a pure joy for a few reasons.

First, slighty better fuel economy.
Second, it has gobs of torque at low RPMs.

Yes, the oil changes are a bit more costly, but then nothing is free in this world. My vote, if you like mountains, you can't go wrong with diesel. In cold or very cold climates, you need to plan accordingly, but to me the positives far outweigh any of the deltas.

I strongly suggest diesel for anything larger than say 27-28 feet and if you do or plan to do a lot of driving out west, which basically puts the GM full sized SUVs out of the running.

That smaller Duramax is nice, but it's just that, smaller and very capable for what it was designed to do, but towing a 30', and a 30' in the mountains, I'd prob pass.
sfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:54 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Basalt , CO
I am trying to decide on the best SUV (new) that has a third row, to tow a 25ft. As for mountains...I live 20 minutes north of Aspen and have zero desire to travel to the south or plains.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:33 PM   #72
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I am trying to decide on the best SUV (new) that has a third row, to tow a 25ft. As for mountains...I live 20 minutes north of Aspen and have zero desire to travel to the south or plains.
Ford Expedition. You will benefit from the turbocharged Ecoboost at altitude.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:17 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
For the typical 3-row SUV, it's an either-or situation: either you tow at max capacity or you fill the seats in the SUV, but not both.

The problem you will have is you will run out of payload if you truly intend to use the 3rd row for occupants while towing. Most 1/2-ton based SUV have a payload of 1500# to 1800#. Assuming a tongue weight of 900# (it may be closer to 1000# in reality) that leaves only 600# to 900# for everything else in the vehicle. If you have 2 people, then you'd be OK with careful management of what cargo you place in the vehicle but it you have 6 people and/or some dogs, stick a Thule on roof, and/or pack the cargo area full, you may run out of payload.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:15 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I agree with the others that youíd likely run out of payload if you have 3 rows of passengers. A better option might be a 4x4 Ford Transit passenger van. You can get them in a 250 or 350 series. Tons of payload and tons of room. They are super hard to find though.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I'm looking for feedback on how the 3.0 L Duramax Diesel performs in either a Suburban or Yukon XL 4 x 4 as a TV pulling an AS, preferably 27' or longer.

We'll be getting a 27' GT FBT and I'm evaluating a range of TV options.

We live in the Pacific NW, so much of our travel will be in mountains in the Western U.S. and Canada.

Note: The Max Payload as per GMC may be around 1,475 lbs., which could be an issue!!

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bryan
Echoing what others have said ... payload, payload, payload ...

Our standard length Yukon was fine with a 25 Eddie Bauer UNTIL any king of inclement weather was encountered.
Then, the tail began wagging the dog!

We had previously used both a Ram and a GM 3/4 ton PU as a TV without incident.
Watch your payload / cargo rating and check your tongue weight with a Sherline or other tongue weight scale. Yes, we have gone back to a PU ... one ton this time for no worries on cargo capacity even with an added camper shell. The one ton springs only come into play as overloads - the rest of the time, it handles as if it were a 3/4 T.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:10 AM   #76
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
First of all, it is a myth that 1 ton, 3/4 ton or even a 1/2 ton pickup handles better than an all independent suspension Yukon. Certainly not in snow. Braking distances are longer and there is no contest in a slalom (evasive maneuvers). The larger pickup have more payload but should that be your primary or only consideration?

A properly setup Yukon can handle an Airstream 27ft especially if equipped with the Duramax. Even better with air suspension - an option not available on any GM pickup. We use a ProPride hitch to eliminate trailer sway.

Yukon is more comfortable, easier to maneuver and park and gets great diesel mileage. They have more covered storage. Larger Duramax and Cummins have more horsepower and more payload.

If you like a 2500/3500 then by all means get one. It should work well. If you are going on extended trips and want to carry 4 seasons of clothes, bikes, rafts, tents and all sorts of extra gear then a pickup might be necessary.

If you take shorter recreational camping trips and want some of the advantages of a full size SUV like a Yukon or Explorer, they can also work. You just need to take care not to overload the Yukon with too much stuff and load the Airstream to minimize added weight in front of the axles with total weight kept to about 7,000lbs.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:51 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Has anyone found a FALR (Front Axle Load Restoration) figure for a Yukon Denali? I have tried various settings of weight distribution. At 50% i get a lot of porpoising. At 100% the ride is great, but I don't love putting that much stress into my front bedroom 27' Airstream with all the front end separation issues these front bedroom units have. I actually have a popped rivet at the storage door so I'm a bit concerned about FES. It's going to the dealer next month to have it looked at. I've checked the owners manual for the Yukon and GMC's towing guide. Can't find anything on FALR. I like the ride at 100% FALR but I'd like to know what GMC recommends.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:57 PM   #78
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlintiaga View Post
Has anyone found a FALR (Front Axle Load Restoration) figure for a Yukon Denali? I have tried various settings of weight distribution. At 50% i get a lot of porpoising. At 100% the ride is great, but I don't love putting that much stress into my front bedroom 27' Airstream with all the front end separation issues these front bedroom units have. I actually have a popped rivet at the storage door so I'm a bit concerned about FES. It's going to the dealer next month to have it looked at. I've checked the owners manual for the Yukon and GMC's towing guide. Can't find anything on FALR. I like the ride at 100% FALR but I'd like to know what GMC recommends.
I don't know the year of your Yukon, but the 2023 owner's manual lists FALR in the towing section (Driving/Operating, Towing, WD Hitch). They publish 50%, but also give a separate procedure for vehicles with 4 corner air suspension.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:29 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Lorena , Texas
52% on mine

I have a Ď23 Suburban with diesel. One year old. Just over 13,000 miles of towing my 6700 pound 29í 1988 Excella.

I just went and looked through my scale tickets. Iím at 52 percent. The ride is very good. A big roll in the road at 70 MPH will cause it to porpoise just a bit but it settles nicely. Iím very happy with the way this setup cruises.

And for the concerned, no I donít normally drive at 70, but when Iím on a Texas road with 80 mph speed limits the speed sometimes creeps up before I notice it.
lemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:24 AM   #80
3rd RV, First Airstream

2021 27' International
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
I don't know the year of your Yukon, but the 2023 owner's manual lists FALR in the towing section (Driving/Operating, Towing, WD Hitch). They publish 50%, but also give a separate procedure for vehicles with 4 corner air suspension.
For any vehicle with an automatic leveling air suspension, you must turn that feature off (put into maintenance mode) before you go through the process of adjusting a weight distribution hitch.