Old 05-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Unhappy Anyone Experiencing Excessive Trouble with Nissan Titan XD Diesel?

Greetings All!

Have been trying to get this 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel lined up to tow the Airstream and Argosy since August of 2017, but haven't been able to find enough trouble-free time to even make one trip. The truck now has approximately 8,000 miles -- and it seems most of that has been going back and forth to the two nearest dealers -- one in Marion, IL and the other in Cape Girardeau, MO (either about 30 miles) with little success. The same maladies keep reappearing accompanied by others as time goes by. It seems that neither dealer has a fully-trained diesel mechanic nor is any staff member truly familiar with these diesel trucks.

The most recent trip involved the truck staying at the dealer for about ten days. During that time, a Nissan Engineer visited and examined the truck, reviewed its history, and we are awaiting his report. Among the things that were done at this time was the replacement of the complete turbo charger system -- something that hadn't been an obvious problem in what driving we had done. Two different times. it has appeared that Nissan corporation has been on the verge of offering either a buy-out or a replacement with an identically equipped new Titan -- but the final person in the chain to pass on the offer turned thumbs down in both instances.

In the short time (less than two weeks) since the truck has returned, it has had recurring problems. When trying to stop at a traffic signal, it had absolutely no brakes -- the pedal went to the floor -- examination showed that the master cylinder was VERY low on fluid (this has happened nearly one dozen times in the past) -- refilled the master cylinder and continued. Then the seat heaters (supposedly repaired at the most recent dealer stay) became stuck in full-on), and the heater/air conditioner fan would run, but it was impossible to re-direct the air to where it was wanted. Shortly thereafter, smoke began pouring out from under the cab of the truck -- shut off the truck, but no fire could be located (there was definitely the smell of burning wiring insulation but none could be seen) -- drove the few miles home where the truck now sits.

This has not been the fun experience of owning a new vehicle that was had with the 1999 Suburban, 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle, or 1985 Oldsmobile -- it has been a stressful mess that has gone on far too long.

The following is a list of the issues that have befallen the truck:
  • Info-tainment Center refused to reliably pair with nearly any Apple I-phone and most Android phones. This problem took four trips to be successfully repaired.
  • Climate Control System refused to direct airflow to selected outlets. This problem has been "fixed" three times and has now returned three times.
  • The truck was constantly going into regeneration mode -- every trip was interrupted by regeneration. This would reduce fuel economy to around 5 to 9 MPG, and the dealer's response to this was to re-flash the computer and return the truck -- this was done about four or five times. Then we were told to avoid driving the truck on short trips in town as this was causing the frequent regenerations -- and to limit its use to longer highway trips. We had slightly better luck with this approach, but still had the truck periodically go into a "forced" regeneration "limp-home" mode where the truck would slow to 20 MPH and would refuse to go any faster until it finished regeneration.
  • The truck experienced extremely harsh shifting of the automatic transmission. This problem was addressed three different times before the shifts seemed to smooth out. Each time, the dealer's response was to re-flash the computer controlling the transmission.
  • The driver's side exterior door handle failed and it meant that one had to enter from the passenger side and open the driver's door from inside -- this was repaired under warranty -- and so far this is about the only repair that hasn't has to be repeated.
  • The street-side passenger door exterior handle failed in a similar manner to the driver's door, and again was replaced under warranty. The repair only lasted a few months and had to be repeated and one can only wonder how long this repair will last.
  • The brakes began going out without warning at less than 1,500 miles. You would be approaching a stop, press on the brake pedal and it would go all of the way to the floor -- in every case, the master cylinder would be dry or nearly dry, but no evidence could be found of an external leak. These instances were often accompanied by excess smoke from the tailpipe, but the dealer discounted our reports of this fact. This problem went on for over a year and at least six trips to the dealer before a repair actually seemed to last -- but the problem reappeared in the past three days.
  • The built-in trailer brake controller only work for the first use of the truck towing our car hauler. Every time that we tried to utilize the truck for towing thereafter, setting the gain control would only work for a very short time and then it would begin randomly flashing throughout its range of numbers and you couldn't predict what kind of braking you were going to have. Neither of the nearby dealers have room for the truck and trailer in their facility so there is no way for them to see what is happening when it is connected -- not that we would want to tow 30 miles with it misbehaving as it is. Of course, the dealers are trying to point their fingers at all three of our trailers.
  • The truck periodically without warning of any kind decides to backfire. The backfiring can happen upon starting when everything is cold or when shutting down after a longer trip. It is unpredictable so hasn't replicated itself for the dealers.
  • The latest issue, and I am not certain that this is a problem developing or me reacting to all of the problems with this rig, but it seems like it is becoming slow to automatically shift into and out of four wheel drive -- it reminds me of my Suburban when its transfer case control module circuit board would begin to fail.
  • In the best case scenario, the truck has never returned more than 13 MPG.
I keep hoping, in a way, that we have a rare lemon, but these trucks are so rare in our area that its hard to know whether it's the truck's problem or the dealer's problem, or some of both.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
My son-in-law (SIL) and I have had three Titan XD Diesels (two 2016s, one 2017). Ours had less troubles than yours, but we still gave up on them due to lack of dealer support as we traveled across the country and reliability issues. We had "key system errors" on two of the trucks. When this happens, the truck won't start. Just shift the truck into drive and back to park and it will start (dealers don't know to tell you to do this). We didn't like the regen system. SIL had more troubles with this because he wouldn't drive it until it was done once it started. But regens were frequent and annoying. SIL had engine wiring harness meltdown and bad injector. Shocks wore out quickly so ride got harsh quickly. My fuel tank had the vapor locking problem. My truck's dash lit up like a Xmas tree and went into limp mode. That's when I traded my 2016 on a new 2017.

We loved how these trucks' towed. We loved the engine braking. The seats on the Platinum were great, but we hated the seats on the 2017 SL. SIL had 70,000 miles on a 2016 SL with more problems than me. I had 46,000 miles on my 2016 Platinum when it broke down in Montana and then traded it on a 2017 SL after Nissan wouldn't cover the recall under warranty. I had 9,000 miles on my 2017 SL when I traded it on a Ford F250 Platinum (Didn't like the seats).

Our biggest concern was that not many dealers support the truck. Most dealers have none on the lot, some have one, few have many. Most dealers did not even stock fuel and oil filters. When I had my 2016's oil changed at one dealer, he parked it alongside the new trucks so it looked like he had one! I went to five dealers all across Michigan and could not buy a set of fuel filters.

My SIL and I have switched to Ford F250 Diesels so we can travel around the country and have dealer support and parts availability. We liked the Titans and would probably still be driving them if the dealers supported them better. We also had fight with Nissan to honor the warranty when we had breakdowns.

Our family has had dozens of new Nissans over the years. We've never had any problems with any of our other Nissans. We love Nissans and the family still has about 10 Nissans in our driveways. We were so excited that Nissan came out with the Titan XD with Cummins Diesel that we couldn't wait to buy them. But the Titan XD experience was dreadful with breakdowns, lack of dealer support, and lack of Nissan warranty support. Too bad, because they are awesome trucks when they are not broke down.

(O+5200)
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Nissan Dealer Support of Titan XD Diesel

I agree the Platinum Reserve is a beautiful truck, it rides well, and what little towing we have done, it seemed a quite capable tow vehicle, but its reliability is lacking. It seems that Nissan needs to do some work on training, equipping and preparing its dealers to sell and maintain these trucks -- if they haven't already damaged their reputation with too many potential buyers of the diesel option. I can't imagine that they have a tremendous number of potential repeat buyers if many are having similar problems with reliability and parts availability.

We continue to hope for some sort of a buy-back offer from Nissan as the resale/trade-in value of this truck in this area is so far below what was paid that it would be VERY painful to trade it in.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm guessing Illinois doesn't have a Lemon Law?

I'm a big Nissan fan, as I've had nothing but the best experience with my 2007 Altima 3.5SE 6 sp with 200,000 kms and counting, BUT, as with any other manufacturer, Nissan does have its share of lemons and those built in Canton Mississippi seem to be of the lemon variety; even the previous generation and Armada were low on any reliability reviews.

These days I'd stay away from a modern diesel.

I hope Nissan comes through for you with something.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Illinois Lemon Law

Greetings Sidekick Tony!

Yes, Illinois does have a Lemon Law, but we are finding that it can be difficult and expensive to have it enforced when the dealer and manufacturer are so ambivalent. We have been trying to avoid getting an attorney involved, but, alas, that is likely among the next steps to be pursued if this most recent contact through the Nissan Engineer proves fruitless.

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 05-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mine has been flawless. Just over 44,000miles. In fairness, if you go up on the Titan XD Forums, there are lots of folks with problems so I suppose I have been lucky.

It is a very capable, comfortable vehicle but if I had to do it over again, I'd get the gas version -- lots more payload, easier to find fuel and simpler routine maintenance.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
WBCCI # 23456

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Like you, I have a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel. I love it. It has just over 16K miles and has been trouble free to date. It pulls like a locomotive and handles the 30 footer on curvy downhill mountain roads. I love mine. I wish you success.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I am not generally a fan of lawyers nor lawsuits. However... I had a similar terrible situation with a new BMW about 2 years ago. The dealer was fine and recognized the serious problems I was having with the car. But BMW North America, from whom I’d bought several new cars within just a few years, was dreadful.

Without getting into details of the problems and bad support from BMW I’ll just say that the best thing I did was call the lawyer with the cheesy “lemonlawyerNC.com” website. I explained the situation, sent him all the dealer service records and he said “it’s a slam dunk, you’ll hear from me a couple times over the next six months but rest assured you will be content with the resolution”.

I probably invested a grand total of 20 minutes over the next 6 months into the ordeal and he did everything else. Bottom line...it was very satisfactory emotionally and BMW ended up paying 100% of my original purchase price, plus fees and random expenses (insurance, my time shuttling the car back and forth to the dealer, reimbursement of my euro deliver airplane ticket, an extra couple thousand) AND paid my attorneys fees.

I still don’t really like lawsuits and prefer to have meeting of the minds with a fair and equitable resolution. But when BMW stonewalled me the lawyer was really the only solution. And while I would have originally been satisfied with just a good trade-in value towards a new BMW I ended up much better off, and BMW will likely never sell me a car again.

I’d call a lawyer if I were you and let them tell you if the Lemon Law is applicable. If so, hands off the stress to them and just move along with the finer things in life.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Attorney time for sure. Not a fan of suits and lawyers in general but they do get results.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Wow, that dealer owes you something, that certainly sounds like a lemon.

We did have an issue with a 2015 Chevy 2500 diesel Silverado that refused to play nicely with our Airstream and the Chevy dealer worked very hard to fix the issue as did Airstream. The Chevy mechanic took the truck and replicated our issue, swapped out parts with some that worked from other trucks, did test drive after test drive, checked and printed every company bullletin and made calls across the country and to Airstream (with us listening in) so that we knew exactly how hard he worked to make it right. End case was perplexing; no issue hauling the Airstream with any other Chevy truck, no issue hauling any other trailer with our truck -but hauling our Airstream with our truck? Bells every minute or two for the entire trip (to be totally honest, they did get it down to a warning every 10 minutes or so, but still horrible for a drive of an hour or two)...

When it became apparent even their "world class" mechanic couldn't fix it, the local Chevy dealer offered us a spectacular trade in price on a new truck as well as some other considerations. And the new truck and the Airstream work and play nicely together. A good solution overall.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
No, 16 XD Diesel with 21k miles 11k of it towing 8,000lbs. The only trip back to the dealer was for a tailgate latch fix.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbashin View Post
Attorney time for sure. Not a fan of suits and lawyers in general but they do get results.
It's time.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Attorney will get his fees and any costs from the Manufacturer. Don't hesitate, don't pass go and don't pay $200. Don't wait longer as you may get the clock run out on being able to get this resolved.

Side note every new car buyer should familiarize themselves with their states lemon laws when they buy a new vehicle.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
You shouldn’t have to hire an attorney to force a manufacturer to do the right thing but that’s why attorneys (and the Civil Court system) exist.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #15
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
“Bring lawyers, guns and plenty of cash, because fit has hit the shan.”
Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
2012 28' International
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Wow! What a mess.
I have a 16 Titan XD Platinum Diesel with 55,000 miles on it, 1/2 towing our 28’ International. Dealer replaced the infotainment center under warranty is all my problems. It does regen too much, especially if I let it idle to warm up. Also it cost $$ to have the oil and fuel filter changed ever 10k as recommended. Otherwise it has been great with towing and the ride is impeccable. So far no other problems (touch wood).
I sold a 2014 F-150 and bought the Nissan because 2dealers could not get the vibration out of the Ford even with new Michelin tires or a driveshaft re-balanced.
Stay on Nissan, they need to make you whole.
Titansection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
You could attempt to motivate Nissan in some creative way, such as, rent a billboard on a busy street, listing how many times that truck had been in the shop, how many times it has not been fixed, and how Nissan refuses to stand behind their vehicle......

Start a social media campaign doing the same, etc.....

As long as you are absolutely factual in your info they cannot sue you.....

YOu could even have some signs made for the truck......I would bet they will come through with a solution.

It appears you need to get as forceful in seeking a resolution, as they have been in avoiding to supply you with one.
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurtiss View Post
You could attempt to motivate Nissan in some creative way, such as, rent a billboard on a busy street, listing how many times that truck had been in the shop, how many times it has not been fixed, and how Nissan refuses to stand behind their vehicle......

Start a social media campaign doing the same, etc.....

As long as you are absolutely factual in your info they cannot sue you.....

YOu could even have some signs made for the truck......I would bet they will come through with a solution.

It appears you need to get as forceful in seeking a resolution, as they have been in avoiding to supply you with one.

Factual or not - they can sue - would they win? Maybe/maybe not. That might not be their goal. Exhausting one’s relatively scarce (in comparison to a large corporation’s) resources, energy, and emotional bank account would serve the same purpose - corporate pockets are far deeper to sustain such a campaign.

Perhaps a better strategy is to talk with Dennis Le Vot, Chairman of Nissan North America. Start with a firm, sincere, and kind note acknowledging the excitement of owning the brand and the utter disappointment of the experience - and lack of support which doesn’t speak well of the organization or brand. You’re not just seeking your own goals, you’re providing valuable market insights to help them maintain a sterling brand reputation.

The chairmen of many companies receive calls and letter like this often. If they’re serious about their brand, they do look in to it - and if their company screwed up, they’ll take action to make it right. I’ve experienced it both as the person who contacted a company chairman when I felt I was wronged, and when the chairman of my company was contacted by a customer who wasn’t happy with their case.

Just a thought. And Happy’s advice about lemon law lawyers is a good next step if you can’t get satisfaction with Dennis - maybe let him know you’re not interested in going that route but with the lack of support received to date - if he can’t help, you may just need to pursue legal assistance to resolve this. Very sorry for your troubles, Kevin. Wishing you the best!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
Lemon Law?

Most of the problems you describe have little or nothing to do with it being a diesel and instead have more to do with it being a crummy build.

I'd start the process of getting rid of it and getting some of my money back just as soon as possible.
sequoyah101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #20

Duncannon , Pennsylvania
XD transmission over heat & oil consumption

I bought the XD diesel when first introduced in 2016. Truck Regen a lot and used excessive amounts of engine oil.
Transmission over heat when towing in traffic to the point it would stop with out warning. I felt the truck was unsafe for this reason.
Truck was nice but didn't fill the bill, besides loosing my shirt to get out of the Titan l traded it on a Ford Super Duty diesel.
Buy from the top 3 and spec heavy you will not be disappointed.

Ford is offline   Reply With Quote