Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Question Any 2019 Audi Q8 towing experience?

Hello everyone,
So happy to be a part of this wonderful community...
We are looking at a used 2019 Q8 to tow our 2021 Bambi 16RB. It comes with a tow package already installed but we are unable to confirm that the 2019 Q8 ground clearance is 8.7" (vs the 2020 and 2021 ground clearance listed as 5.8"). For anyone who has or knows a 2019 Q8 that tows an airstream, is the ground clearance fine for boondocking?
The next issue we're being warned about by our beloved Colonial Airstream folk is that Audi seems to use the Stealth Hitch which apparently needs an adaptor to render it horizontal and stealth recommends not using a weight distribution and sway control hitch system. What???? How is this possibly considered safe by industry standards?

All help will be enormously helpful!!!

Lisa & Peter
Have Doula will Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
I have quite a bit of experience towing with a 2019 Q7 Prestige. For specs sake, very much the same vehicle. My Q7 had air-suspension and would be the only way to achieve 8”+ of ground clearance. The system is, in fact, a variable ride height, load-leveling system. In my opinion, the Q8 would be quite suitable to tow your 16’ trailer. I would seek out a wheel/tire combo with more sidewall and all-season tires, particular for any off-paved-road activity. The Q8 is pre-wired for a brake controller and Audi sells (recommends) a Curt unit in their accessory offerings. It is correct, you cannot use a weight-distributing hitch with their tow package. (At least not without some aftermarket reinforcement) I utilized a Hayes Sway Master electronic, on-trailer unit and found it quite a good solution. Yours would be a dream combo with the above precautions taken.

Cheers,
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Towing with a Q8

Hi Brenton,
Thanks so very much for this very helpful and positive response. We would be towing with a premium Q8 without the added suspension package. We are still waiting for Audi to confirm the conflicting ground clearance specs. Given the standard suspension on our possible 2019 Q8, I am wondering if you still feel the Hayes Sway Master electronic, on-trailer unit would be a viable fix?
We've heard back from Colonial Airstream that your suggestions were right on point and they do have customers towing successfully with Q7s. They just have not had experience yet with the Q8. I will look to confirm that without the add-on suspension feature and with 8.7" of ground clearance (once confirmed) AND the Hayes Sway Master, we would be just fine; without having undue concern.

grateful for your input,
Lisa
Have Doula will Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Bon Air , Virginia
Hi Lisa,

I've checked (good Audi connections) and I was mistaken. The ground clearance of the standard, steel suspension on the 2019 Q8 is, in fact, 8.7". The air suspension must be capable of over 12"!
Given the Q8's tow capacity of 7700 pounds/770 pound tongue weight, I think the 16' would be easily handled. Your trailer GRVW is less than half of that capacity and I don't think the 430 pound tongue weight would cause the Q8 to squat much if at all, provided neither the trailer nor the truck is overloaded. The effect of the Sway controller is significant, it made a night and day difference in our towing experience, albeit with a far heavier Airstream. Best of luck and congrats on the brilliant combo!

Cheers,
Brenton
Brentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Hello,

I would to hear an update on if you have been towing with your Q8 and how it has worked out for you... I’m
In the market and considering the Q7 and Q8 but a slight lean toward the Q8. Any info on how it’s working, setup you are using etc...

We intend to tow a 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB.
Imdakine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Hi there. We test drove a Q7 but it didn’t feel solid or stable enough on the road. The Q8 just feels far more substantial.
We can report back as of next week when we trailer back from NJ having picked up our Bambi 16RB. I am not sure what the limits are on the Flying Cloud 23 FB but we love our Q8 thus far.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Doula will Travel View Post
Hi there. We test drove a Q7 but it didn’t feel solid or stable enough on the road. The Q8 just feels far more substantial.
We can report back as of next week when we trailer back from NJ having picked up our Bambi 16RB. I am not sure what the limits are on the Flying Cloud 23 FB but we love our Q8 thus far.

Awesome! What year? Do you have the adaptive suspension package?

I had a 2021 base Q7 (for a few days as my /014 Q5 TDI was being serviced) which is underpowered for that vehicle...

I believe the same engine is used in the 2020 and 2021 Q7 and Q8 now...

I did test drive a Q8 and beyond some safety features I wasn’t as aware of it drove so well and felt solid but also not that large even though it is only 3 inches shorter than the Q7. I also see the Q8 as more of a “dream vehicle” as I’m not a car aficionado but I’m into wagons and hatchbacks and for some reason I fell the Q8 is like a wagon/SUV combo!
Old 12-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Newbury Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentone View Post
I have quite a bit of experience towing with a 2019 Q7 Prestige. For specs sake, very much the same vehicle. My Q7 had air-suspension and would be the only way to achieve 8”+ of ground clearance. The system is, in fact, a variable ride height, load-leveling system. In my opinion, the Q8 would be quite suitable to tow your 16’ trailer. I would seek out a wheel/tire combo with more sidewall and all-season tires, particular for any off-paved-road activity. The Q8 is pre-wired for a brake controller and Audi sells (recommends) a Curt unit in their accessory offerings. It is correct, you cannot use a weight-distributing hitch with their tow package. (At least not without some aftermarket reinforcement) I utilized a Hayes Sway Master electronic, on-trailer unit and found it quite a good solution. Yours would be a dream combo with the above precautions taken.

Cheers,
Brenton
My wife and I have a Q8 that will be used to tow our Caravel 22FB with. A few observations...Regarding ground clearance, it has 8.7...I have know idea we’re the 5.7 in. # came from. Maybe with the optional air suspension in low setting? The higher spec models have 22...Huge wheels for towing! Installing the brake controller was a bit of a pain. Gaining access to the plug under the dash requires some fuss. Payload seems to be the only real limitation for us, so we gotta pack a bit light. Lastly, our Q8 does not have the air suspension. Over-all we really like the car and it ended up being a pretty good value as well. We were able to find a 2019, bought as new in the high 50’s...The only other vehicle we considered was the new Defender, but concerns over reliability steered us to the Audi.

Tony
tmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartino View Post
My wife and I have a Q8 that will be used to tow our Caravel 22FB with. A few observations...Regarding ground clearance, it has 8.7...I have know idea we’re the 5.7 in. # came from. Maybe with the optional air suspension in low setting? The higher spec models have 22...Huge wheels for towing! Installing the brake controller was a bit of a pain. Gaining access to the plug under the dash requires some fuss. Payload seems to be the only real limitation for us, so we gotta pack a bit light. Lastly, our Q8 does not have the air suspension. Over-all we really like the car and it ended up being a pretty good value as well. We were able to find a 2019, bought as new in the high 50’s...The only other vehicle we considered was the new Defender, but concerns over reliability steered us to the Audi.

Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for sharing. We are still in between getting the Q7 or Q8. I was initially under the impression that the Q8 payload capacity was

1,511 Q8 2021
1,598 Q7 2020

However after the dealer sent me the door stickers I see it is

1,124 Q8
1,202 Q7

The 23’ Airstream we will be towing:

Dry Weight
4,806 lbs.

Payload Capacity
1,194 lbs.

GVWR
6,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight
467 lbs.

Options

I’m not sure why but the Q7 and Q8 we are looking at have the 22 inch wheels which likely aren’t great for towing? We are looking the adaptive suspension package as I like the idea of the all wheel steering more for everyday use as it supposedly makes the turn radius more similar to a A4 instead of a Q7 or Q8 larger vehicle.

What year is your Q8 and what features do you have? Do you think the big wheels will be an issue? Your thoughts about the adaptive suspension?
Old 12-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Newbury Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post
Hi Tony, thanks for sharing. We are still in between getting the Q7 or Q8. I was initially under the impression that the Q8 payload capacity was

1,511 Q8 2021
1,598 Q7 2020

1,124 Q8
1,202 Q7

Dry Weight
4,806 lbs.

Payload Capacity
1,194 lbs.

GVWR
6,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight
467 lbs.

Options

I’m not sure why but the Q7 and Q8 we are looking at have the 22 inch wheels which likely aren’t great for towing? We are looking the adaptive suspension package as I like the idea of the all wheel steering more for everyday use as it supposedly makes the turn radius more similar to a A4 instead of a Q7 or Q8 larger vehicle.

What year is your Q8 and what features do you have? Do you think the big wheels will be an issue? Your thoughts about the adaptive suspension?
Regarding payload, it’s a bit confusing. The sticker on the door shows different weights. After a call to Audi North America, it is actually about 15,000 LB. Honestly, my wife and I were a bit freaked out when we saw the 11,000 on door sticker....It just didn’t add up. The factory hitch receiver is rated at 770LB.

Our Q8 is a more base model. We stumbled across a new 2019 that a dealer had left over. So we were able to pick it up at a substantial discount, plus it had a hitch! It would have been nice to get the Prestige version, but we just couldn’t justify the extra cost and finding a Q8 with factory installed hitch was tough too. And as much as I like those 22’s...The 20’s are better for us...Especially if you plan on doing a lot of towing/adventure stuff.

The air suspension is nice as is the rear steering, but all models included the adaptive dampers. Once again, we just thought that the extra cost and complexity of those features wasn’t worth it for us. The only option I really wish we had were the fancy seats with cooling and premium leather.

To be honest, picking a tow vehicle that would work for us was tough. With COVID we really didn’t want to go out and test drive a bunch of vehicles. Especially when many dealers here in California require a sales persons to go with you on test drives.

My wife and I are going to share the Q8 and it will be used as a daily driver/grocery store car. It is a very easy to drive, feels compact compared to a truck, handles well, is extremely quite and smooth...plus it looks a bit sporty when compared to other SUVs and the Q7.

We also liked how simple the design is with the Audi compared to other vehicles like the Mercedes/BMW or some of the American alternatives. The interior MMI control/touch screen is super easy to use after you get used to it. My only real complaint is finger prints, all that screen and piano black! We just keep a soft micro fiber cloth in the car and give it a quick wipe down when we drive it.

Lastly, make sure to get a maintenance/wheel repair package. We were able to negotiate a 50K package for $500...Well worth it!

The only other vehicle we really liked was the new Defender. But we were just to concerned with the unproven reliability/build quality. With that said, I still would consider the Defender.

Tony
tmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Quote:
Regarding payload, it’s a bit confusing. The sticker on the door shows different weights. After a call to Audi North America, it is actually about 15,000 LB. Honestly, my wife and I were a bit freaked out when we saw the 11,000 on door sticker....It just didn’t add up. The factory hitch receiver is rated at 770LB.

Our Q8 is a more base model. We stumbled across a new 2019 that a dealer had left over. So we were able to pick it up at a substantial discount, plus it had a hitch! It would have been nice to get the Prestige version, but we just couldn’t justify the extra cost and finding a Q8 with factory installed hitch was tough too. And as much as I like those 22’s...The 20’s are better for us...Especially if you plan on doing a lot of towing/adventure stuff.

The air suspension is nice as is the rear steering, but all models included the adaptive dampers. Once again, we just thought that the extra cost and complexity of those features wasn’t worth it for us. The only option I really wish we had were the fancy seats with cooling and premium leather.

To be honest, picking a tow vehicle that would work for us was tough. With COVID we really didn’t want to go out and test drive a bunch of vehicles. Especially when many dealers here in California require a sales persons to go with you on test drives.

My wife and I are going to share the Q8 and it will be used as a daily driver/grocery store car. It is a very easy to drive, feels compact compared to a truck, handles well, is extremely quite and smooth...plus it looks a bit sporty when compared to other SUVs and the Q7.

We also liked how simple the design is with the Audi compared to other vehicles like the Mercedes/BMW or some of the American alternatives. The interior MMI control/touch screen is super easy to use after you get used to it. My only real complaint is finger prints, all that screen and piano black! We just keep a soft micro fiber cloth in the car and give it a quick wipe down when we drive it.

Lastly, make sure to get a maintenance/wheel repair package. We were able to negotiate a 50K package for $500...Well worth it!

The only other vehicle we really liked was the new Defender. But we were just to concerned with the unproven reliability/build quality. With that said, I still would consider the Defender.

Tony

We have many similarities in our experience as TMARTINO. We bought our 2019 Q8 as an Audi Ceritfied Pre-Owned Vehicle from a dealership that had it as a loaner. It is the entry level tier of Q8 without the air suspension, but we had experience with that many years ago with our Audi wagon that had the suspension which was very expensive to maintain. The Q8 was a great deal (mid fifities) with the four year warranty. It also came with the tow package which made it a no brainer. We too love that it it has a shorter profile than the Q7 and a wider wheel base for stability. It takes a little practice pulling into narrow spaces. We also think how great the air conditioned seats would have been but are LOVING the heated steering wheel here in our Vermont winter!
We are using the Curt Bluetooth brake controller with a dedicated spare cell phone just for the controller. This is a great solution to installing one.
It was very appealing to us that the Q8 travels under the radar in it's beauty -"simply" beautiful. Peter and I are also sharing the Q8 as we gave up our second car for the Bambi figuring we're not doing a lot of separate travelling anyway in this time of Covid. We researched a plethora of potential TVs but were clear that a truck at this time for us was not practical as a daily I completely agree with Tony that the Q8 drives beautifully and handles really well. Having owned Audis for decades, we also believe in their engineering and safety, which gives us security. Keep us all posted!
Old 12-13-2020, 01:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Quote:

Tony

Thanks for sharing! We are based just outside the SF Bay Area in Santa Cruz. We are super excited to get our 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB sometime in the next couple of months (?) dealer said Mid-January / Mid-February when we ordered it in October but who really knows with COVID!

We were hoping for the smallest but capable SUV. Our list has included Mercedes GLE, Porsche Cayenne, abs Audi Q7... Although I have a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI that we will keep, the Audi Q7 was the lowest on the list due to it being the highest out of the list of tow vehicles.

The practical part of me would lean toward a Q7 as it’s me, my wife, and our three year old daughter. I saw the Q8 and started to read the specs and thought wow this could tow and somewhat meet what I can imagine as nearly a perfect “dream car” as I’m nit a car aficionado and love wagons and think the A7 (or whatever versions they have it) is awesome...

I see the Q8 as a bit of a A7, a bit of a cross over, abs a bit of a SUV. Since we intend to likely keep the vehicle for 6-7 years at least if not longer as I said we love our 2014 Q5 TDI and I can’t imagine getting rid of it or the next car we get.

Debate

The big debate is do I buy 2021 new for about 12% off MSRP or do I but a dealer 2021 CPO with 1,700 miles and 46 months on original warranty and a +1 for being a CPO...!

The two dealers with the new 2021 has offered $700 above the what I could get as the CPO 2021. Each are slightly over by ($600 ) between the new 2021 or dealer fleet version.

Question

Do you use adaptive suspension? Do you use a weight distribution hitch (WDH) although Audi says to not us it etc...

What is your towing setup?
Old 12-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Picked up our Bambi 16RB at Colonial. Had a great orientation and sleep over. We had them put on a Reese friction sway control given that the Audi hitch is not compatible with a WD sway controller. We also added in the Curt bluetooth brake control.
The Q8 drove and towed like a dream.
So much appreciation to all those here on the forum who contributed to our planning, answered questions and shared thoughts.
Just waiting for covid to settle a bit, days to get a wee bit longer before we make our way out to SoCal and our grandbaby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	505.8 KB
ID:	385420  
Old 12-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Santa Cruz , California
Any 2019 Audi Q8 towing experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Doula will Travel View Post
Picked up our Bambi 16RB at Colonial. Had a great orientation and sleep over. We had them put on a Reese friction sway control given that the Audi hitch is not compatible with a WD sway controller. We also added in the Curt bluetooth brake control.

The Q8 drove and towed like a dream.

So much appreciation to all those here on the forum who contributed to our planning, answered questions and shared thoughts.

Just waiting for covid to settle a bit, days to get a wee bit longer before we make our way out to SoCal and our grandbaby!

Congrats!!! Looks great together!

Can you share your full setup?

Do you have the Audi Ball(?) for the hitch or another brand? Does the 7 pin work or any needed additional adaptor?

You choose the Curt Bluetooth over A Curt wired version? So just using a spare phone with Bluetooth fully charged or plugged in while use seems to work well? I know the car is supposedly pre-wired under the dash for a brake controller but Bluetooth might be easier with dedicated older phone etc...

Lastly the Reese Sway Friction is used instead of a weight distribution hitch (WDH) (as you said Audi doesn’t recommend)... Did you have to reinforce the tow hitch to use the Sway Bar? I’ve heard some people using a WDH and reinforced the hitch before doing so etc...

Did you get this all done at the AirStream Dealership or before you went to their dealership?

Sorry for all the questions! I’m just excited to see the Q8 towing as I believe it is way more rare over the Q7 and am hoping to hear about experience with the Q8 since it’s my #1 choice for our tow vehicle but my main hesitation is likely less people have towed with it over the Q7.

We are looking to get a 2021 Q8 Prestige with the tow package & Adaptive Suspension. We will be towing a 2021 Flying Cloud 23FB. I believe the actual tongue weight for our 23FB is similar as your 16’ Bambi.

Thanks in advance and would appreciate learning more from you and any other Q8 owners!

I would also love more photos as it really looks great towing the AirStream!!!
Old 01-23-2021, 10:31 PM   #15

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dana Point , California
I've towed a Caravel 22FB over 10,000 miles with a 2020 Q8 with trailer package and adjustable suspension. Pulled like a dream - can't even tell it's there. Didn't go too far off the beaten path, so can't offer full details about clearance. Q8 alone in off road position is supposed to give 10", which I doubt, but 8+ is probably a sure thing.
Johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #16

Langley , British Columbia
Hi everyone, while I don't own an Airstream (yet). I've done a lot of research on how to tow successfully with an Audi Q8. Here's a video I put together that covers of everything from installing a brake controller to hitch mount height and the issue of Weight Distribution Hitches. Enjoy...

campingmanbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt - read some posts from years back via search as we have ALOT of history here with Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 towing…

Hours & Hours of fun reading…
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdakine1 View Post

1,511 Q8 2021
1,598 Q7 2020

1,124 Q8
1,202 Q7

Dry Weight
4,806 lbs.

Payload Capacity
1,194 lbs.

GVWR
6,000 lbs.

Hitch Weight
467 lbs.

Options

I own a 23FB, and I tow it with a GMC 1500 truck. You’ll find that once you are loaded for camping, the 23FB tongue weight will be well over 600 lbs. My trailer’s loaded weight is about 5,400 lbs. My truck has a payload capacity of 1,497 lbs, and I have to pack carefully.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote