Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2019, 06:14 AM   #221
4 Rivet Member
 
farafield's Avatar
 
2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 481
Images: 1
While getting the recall done on my gennie (so that I can sell it haha) the service manager really wanted to talk about electric cars! He told me that the direction they are going is to make a battery pack that can be switched out--so when on a longer trip, you go to a dealer or whatever, take out your battery pack and get a new one. So many people don't get an electric car because of the few times of the year when they need a longer range. Until the switch out idea gets going, some kind of rent/car share program would be good.
__________________
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy...

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #222
Rivet Master
 
2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,652
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
While getting the recall done on my gennie (so that I can sell it haha) the service manager really wanted to talk about electric cars! He told me that the direction they are going is to make a battery pack that can be switched out--so when on a longer trip, you go to a dealer or whatever, take out your battery pack and get a new one. So many people don't get an electric car because of the few times of the year when they need a longer range. Until the switch out idea gets going, some kind of rent/car share program would be good.
That may be true for city dwellers. But for us rural folks it is an 1.5 hour drive to the hospital. And that’s pretty typical for rural communities. And when we drive someplace we tend to do more driving to get other errands done. EVs will be more difficult in rural areas simply because of distance that one has to travel to get to places. Not to say it can’t be over come. Just may take a bit longer.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #223
4 Rivet Member
 
farafield's Avatar
 
2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 481
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
That may be true for city dwellers. But for us rural folks it is an 1.5 hour drive to the hospital. And that’s pretty typical for rural communities. And when we drive someplace we tend to do more driving to get other errands done. EVs will be more difficult in rural areas simply because of distance that one has to travel to get to places. Not to say it can’t be over come. Just may take a bit longer.
Yes, absolutely good point.
__________________
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy...

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #224
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
While getting the recall done on my gennie (so that I can sell it haha) the service manager really wanted to talk about electric cars! He told me that the direction they are going is to make a battery pack that can be switched out--so when on a longer trip, you go to a dealer or whatever, take out your battery pack and get a new one. So many people don't get an electric car because of the few times of the year when they need a longer range. Until the switch out idea gets going, some kind of rent/car share program would be good.
A battery is a lousy fuel tank.
The EV people keep trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #225
4 Rivet Member
 
vintageracer's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 347
The reality is that the VAST MAJORITY of vehicle Buyers/Driver's today LIVE in Urban Areas (Cities) where an Electric Powered Vehicle will "Meat" 98+ percent or more of their daily driving needs for commuting, comfort, hauling, safety and vehicle driving range.

For those long trips of more than 250+ miles or more one way RENT A GAS VEHICLE for that RARE trip!

Living in a METROPOLITAN URBAN AREA in the USA is where most US citizens and illegals live. For these urban living folks driving an electric vehicle is cheaper as you git FREE ELECTRICITY & FREE PRIME PARKING at most all public charging stations, your EV causes no more hassle in your life than a gas powered vehicle AND you git the THRILL of pissing off the government by driving on their nice fancy road for FREE without paying any gasoline tax for that privilege!

All in all it sounds like a GOOD DEAL to me to become ELECTRIFIED for the vast majority of us living and driving in the good ole USA!
__________________
Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #226
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,195
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
A battery is a lousy fuel tank.
The EV people keep trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

It's true. They hold such a tiny amount of fuel.


Never turn your back to the ocean.
__________________
John Audette
Air Cooled Porsche Specialist -

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #227
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
A battery is a lousy fuel tank.
It is misleading to focus on what the efficiency of one component in a system is.

A fuel tank is pretty efficient, but it supplies an internal combustion engine that has a peak thermal efficiency of around 30-35%, but which in typical use is far lower than that due to part throttle operation, more like 15-20%

A battery is less efficient (in terms of space and weight occupied) but that depends on battery technology, and the efficiency is rapidly increasing with technological developments. But the critical point is that it supplies an electric motor which has a peak efficiency of 95%, typical in-use efficiency of 85%, and the potential for regeneration.

No contest.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #228
Rivet Master
 
kscherzi's Avatar
 
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,679
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The reality is that the VAST MAJORITY of vehicle Buyers/Driver's today LIVE in Urban Areas (Cities) where an Electric Powered Vehicle will "Meat" 98+ percent or more of their daily driving needs for commuting, comfort, hauling, safety and vehicle driving range.

For those long trips of more than 250+ miles or more one way RENT A GAS VEHICLE for that RARE trip!

Living in a METROPOLITAN URBAN AREA in the USA is where most US citizens and illegals live. For these urban living folks driving an electric vehicle is cheaper as you git FREE ELECTRICITY & FREE PRIME PARKING at most all public charging stations, your EV causes no more hassle in your life than a gas powered vehicle AND you git the THRILL of pissing off the government by driving on their nice fancy road for FREE without paying any gasoline tax for that privilege!

All in all it sounds like a GOOD DEAL to me to become ELECTRIFIED for the vast majority of us living and driving in the good ole USA!
First off, electricity for electric cars isn't free anymore. There were a few publicly funded free charging stations built early on but most have been removed or replaced by fee based charging. Private charging stations, like at a grocery store, all charge. Charging at ones house was never free. More important, you can now be charged by the minute if you overstay at the charging station after the battery is full.

If everyone had an electric car then parking downtown would be the same hassle as today with a gas car.

Some states have, and the rest are considering, road fees for electric cars to replace revenue lost by the gas tax. Electric car owners will be expected to fund road work in equal measure to owners of gas cars. States won't put up with cuts to their road funding.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #229
4 Rivet Member
 
vintageracer's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
States won't put up with cuts to their road funding.
They have so far!
__________________
Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #230
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
They have so far!
Eventually they’ll tax miles driven. The technology exists to monitor and direct bill by the mile. They could even leverage driver behavior (the worse you drive the more you pay).

Careful what you wish for, in your zeal to punish the few electric vehicles on the road.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #231
4 Rivet Member
 
vintageracer's Avatar
 
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Careful what you wish for in your zeal to punish the few electric vehicles on the road.
I not suggesting to punish or promote electric vehicles either way.

Just stating the obvious FACT that most folks in the USA could seamlessly transfer to an electric vehicle with no changes or compromises in their daily lives or daily driving needs!

The electrical infrastructure support needed to make this electrified change on a large scale is a whole nother issue!
__________________
Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #232
TinCan
 
graysailor's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 879
Kinda following the electric car market. If interested I think I would go with a hybrid at least for now.
__________________
TinCan
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #233
jcl
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Eventually they’ll tax miles driven. The technology exists to monitor and direct bill by the mile. They could even leverage driver behavior (the worse you drive the more you pay).

Careful what you wish for, in your zeal to punish the few electric vehicles on the road.
Agreed, but it will be km here. With different rates based on congestion zones (downtown, tunnels, bridges) and time (rush hour vs not). I also expect different rates based on vehicle size and weight, but not necessarily on fuel type.

We have had a regional government study published here already, proposing different models of (anti) congestion pricing, with either transponders or GPS trackers. They need to replace fuel taxes as a funding stream (our region is moving to electrics much more quickly than some other areas), and this would be more equitable, while also helping with demand management for road space.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #234
Stay Calm and Stream On
 
HHPJ's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 313
False?
About 63% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases). About 20% was from nuclear energy, and about 17% was from renewable energy sources as of Mar 1, 2019.
This is directly from the government:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

I won’t even get into the hazards of disposed lithium and lead acid batteries...
“Electric motors and batteries add to the energy of electric-car manufacture. ... The same MIT study noted that the materials used in batteries are harmful to the environment. The mining and processing of metals such as lithium, copper, and nickel requires much energy and it can release toxic compounds.”

Biggest scam around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs_4_beer View Post
I have heard this before and is mostly false. Depending on where you live, much of your electricity from the grid may already be from renewable sources. In addition, many people with EVs can put solar panels on their house and charge 100% of their miles from the sun. No one can say that with ICE vehicles. Even if 100% of your power came from coal power, the power plant is likely more efficient and maybe even cleaner burning than your vehicle.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...-still-cleaner
HHPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #235
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,211
I see this thread is progressing as usual. Next comes the comparison of the carbon output from building an EV and a windmill, compared to building a Mercedes diesel.

The pollution part doesn’t matter to most people. Everything pollutes. Cost per mile is what matters. When I drove an EV it cost wayyyyyy less to drive than my Jeep, VW diesel (that got 50 mpg) or any of my trucks.

I have a diesel truck for towing. But I commute 60 miles a day. Perfect trip for an EV.
__________________
2018 International Serenity 27' FB
Michelin 16” tires
Hensley Arrow hitch

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #236
Rivet Master
 
DewTheDew's Avatar
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
False?
About 63% of this electricity generation was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, petroleum, and other gases). About 20% was from nuclear energy, and about 17% was from renewable energy sources as of Mar 1, 2019.
This is directly from the government:

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

I won’t even get into the hazards of disposed lithium and lead acid batteries...
“Electric motors and batteries add to the energy of electric-car manufacture. ... The same MIT study noted that the materials used in batteries are harmful to the environment. The mining and processing of metals such as lithium, copper, and nickel requires much energy and it can release toxic compounds.”

Biggest scam around.
Nuclear is also "carbon free". And you do not dispose of lithium ion batteries from vehicles, you recycle them.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #237
Rivet Master
 
2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 571
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
AND you git the THRILL of pissing off the government by driving on their nice fancy road for FREE without paying any gasoline tax for that privilege!
No so fast: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...-gas-tax-cost/
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #238
Rivet Master
 
2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The reality is that the VAST MAJORITY of vehicle Buyers/Driver's today LIVE in Urban Areas (Cities) where an Electric Powered Vehicle will "Meat" 98+ percent or more of their daily driving needs for commuting, comfort, hauling, safety and vehicle driving range.

For those long trips of more than 250+ miles or more one way RENT A GAS VEHICLE for that RARE trip!

Living in a METROPOLITAN URBAN AREA in the USA is where most US citizens and illegals live. For these urban living folks driving an electric vehicle is cheaper as you git FREE ELECTRICITY & FREE PRIME PARKING at most all public charging stations, your EV causes no more hassle in your life than a gas powered vehicle AND you git the THRILL of pissing off the government by driving on their nice fancy road for FREE without paying any gasoline tax for that privilege!

All in all it sounds like a GOOD DEAL to me to become ELECTRIFIED for the vast majority of us living and driving in the good ole USA!
I agree, if your daily commute is around a 100 miles or less and you can plug it in over night its a great idea. That is how it should be promoted marketed and priced. Not as a complete replacement for the ICE.
There shouldn't be any subsidies whatsoever.
People should purchase them because it fits their needs not because of a government mandate or sbsidie.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #239
Rivet Master
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 904
South Carolina charges an annual $120 road use fee (in addition to the registration fee) for electric vehicles. Wait until EV's become more popular. You will see governments and electric companies getting on the bandwagon.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 PM   #240
Site Team
 
wulfraat's Avatar

 
2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,300
Images: 1
And we thought diesels had torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight
South Carolina charges an annual $120 road use fee (in addition to the registration fee) for electric vehicles. Wait until EV's become more popular. You will see governments and electric companies getting on the bandwagon.


Well what I can say is that after 1 year and 15k miles on our 2017 Tesla model 3 our “all in” cost to operate (maintenance, energy, etc) was $0.04/mile.

My “all in” cost for the same mileage over similar period on my 2017 GMC 2500 tow vehicle was $0.25/mile.

If I had to pay a whopping $120 road tax per year that would increase my all in EV OPX to ~$0.055/mile.

$120 is less thank the cost of a single oil change on an ICE vehicle.

We operate both ICE and EV vehicles in our household - but the EV is absolutely the go-to vehicle for daily driving and associated expense management. GMC is for towing and other business related activities.... when needed.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Torque or Not to Torque bella_intl Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 50 08-31-2017 05:26 AM
Just when we thought we had it figured out...! cheetah1 Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 9 09-20-2014 09:10 AM
Thought I Had Seen It All....But Not This!!! Airhog1 Off Topic Forum 27 09-15-2008 10:21 PM
and you thought you had a motorhome! Excella CM Classic Motorhomes 3 12-29-2007 05:42 PM
Wow, thought I had been "kicked out" :) Kistler Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 4 08-26-2006 06:13 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.