Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Keep your dream alive! We both drive and tow, and we can both hitch up the trailer - even by ourselves when we have to! I do almost all of the backing. Kay is very capable of doing it - she just prefers not to. As mentioned, there are lots of pull though sites you can use, and the best way to learn backing is to practice. You've received lots of good advice, but advice is just that. Up to you to decide. But I think if you asked for a vote, the overwhelming majority would say to keep the Airstream!

Best of luck!

Chris and Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
Hi everyone,
So, here is my dilemma. I purchased my lovely 75 Airstream Overlander last february, did some revamping on it with my boyfriend who bought a 1985 Ford F250 and converted it to run on grease. It was the perfect combo! We were set to travel for the whole summer plus some. So the sad news is that the planned got foiled and unfortunetly, we parted ways. I still have the airstream which I am still very attached to, as you all know how that goes..So, I am looking for advice.
I no longer have a vehicle to tow the beauty, and have to make a decision whether or not it's a good idea to keep her. I would have to find another tow vehicle to purchase, and I don't know the first thing about backing up a trailer, so I would have some serious learning lessons ahead.
Do you think I should keep the dream alive? If so, what tow vehicle do you suggest for a chica on a budget?
Thank you in advance for your AS words of wisdom
Lucy P
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
Lucy, Keep the trailer, you have already done all the work, its your dream and you should never give up on a dream because of an inconvience. You can learn to handle this trailer just as good as anyone else all it takes is practice.
After my 22 years in trucking and I have driven, hauled, just about everything there is from small to large, was an instructor, so here is my advice.
First is we would all need to know what size trailer you have to know what vehicle to advise you to get, in general 25 foot and under you could do it with a 1/2 ton Pickup that is set up for towing the newer the better off you will be and the less you will have to spend on extras. Over 25 foot I would suggest a 3/4 ton. Either case get a Crew Cab (4 door) with a 6 1/2 foot bed. You will need a sway bar hitch setup I would strongly suggest you get a Hensly Hitch if at all possible because it is the best on the market.
Now that you got your tow vehicle find a mall and find out when the parking lot is the most empty go to it and practice first going forward, turning both directions once you are comfortable then try some backing up first in general just to get use to it, then try backing it into some parking places, then backing into the parking places by staying between the lines. If you can find cones this is a help.
Remember this saying GOALS= Get Out And Look Stupid
for one who thinks they are too good to do so is the very one that is going to tear up something. I have it imprinted on my mirrors at the bottom edge.
After a few days of practice you will be ok, another thing dont be afraid to ask someone to help as a spotter for ya either. You may have a bunch of joksters around but for every 5 there will be at least 1 that will help.

Sarge
P.S. boyfreinds, girlfriends, husbands, wives, may come and go but the AS and the memories will always be there.
I also have a 2007 GMC Sierra that can handle anything under 28 foot for sale take over loan.
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
I'll not repeat the encouragement you've already received. Just to add my 2 cents though, if you purchase carefully, your tow vehicle can also be your everyday vehicle, as mine is. Good luck!
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Anything I can do you can do better...

There are plenty of duma s s men who handle this everyday...keep the trailer and find a tow vehicle...its worth every minute of time....
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Airstream break-up, keeping the dream alive

Greetings Lucy P!

If you don't mind being apart from the crowd, you might consider an older GM full-size sedan or wagon for towing duties. It is still possible to find one of these cars that is in good condition for a very reasonable price. The cars that I am referring to would include:
  • 1993--1996 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance with LT 1 -- 5.7 Liter V8 and the options indicated in the post at this link.
  • 1993-1996 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Station Wagon with 5.7 Liter V8 and the trailer towing package.
  • 1993-1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Station Wagon with LT1 -- 5.7 Liter V8.
The Oldsmobile and Buick would be the less desirable of the three given the weight of your coach. The Cadillac, however, has a 7,000 pound trailer tow rating with the correct equipment. When I purchased my new tow vehicle in 1998 the Suburban was the best compromise between car and truck -- I would have preferred a car, but none of the new cars by that time had much if any trailer towing capacity.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lonely forever?

Hi, there are a lot of fish in the ocean and many of them have trucks. Find a new boy friend.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Backing vs. Forward

You don't have to be good enough for a reverse obstacle course...just functional in the backing department. I do all the driving and backing because she's scared to, once she drove for about 3 hours on the interstate out in New Mexico and exclaimed, "well I don't know what I was worried about!!!" I always offer and encourage her to drive, but so far the answer has been no. So as far as I can tell you are miles ahead if you don't mind the driving part, just plan your escape route and you might not have to do a lot of backing. FYI...I once wheeled around the back of a CVS drugstore and realized there was no lane other than the two drive throughs. With a little backing and checking of roof clearances I just drove right through the drug pickup lane. (I don't recommend this) You should have seen the faces of the staff smeared against that store window as I went by without a scratch!! That's where the escape route plan comes in, so don't go around that building blind because there may not be an easy way out. Keep the trailer!!! Learn to Back!!! Have Fun!!!
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The worst vice is advice.

Over the years, my daughters have asked for advice. I try to go easy on the fatherly "wisdom" and ask (repeatedly), "What is it, in your heart, that you really want to do." If towing the Airstream around is your dream... it belongs to you, not the guy who left. How you get on the road (and back up) are just minor details. Good luck.
Great advice. I don't remember our son and daughter asking my advice but I gave it anyway. They are in their 30's now and turned out pretty good so my advice to you is GO with your dream. The challenges are worth the pursuit.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Follow Those Dreams!

LucyPepper, it's all good. All the advice, the Airstream, and whatever your heart desires. It's all good.

Do not doubt yourself. You can back a trailer and don't ever let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

Take it from another women that can tow and back both a 24 and 30 footer (though not at the same time ).
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
If you can't afford a tow vehicle this year, see if you can find a seasonal lot at a lake somewhere and have it towed there by someone else and then towed back home in the fall. That way you could be driving a Corolla and still have a great summer in your Airstream!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Salt Lake City , Utah
Mi Airstreama Familia

My lovely airstream family,

You've made a valley of tears come certain vulnerable orfices from this chica just looking for someone to reply.

Thank you ALL for your encouragement and hope.

You don't know how important of a role you all have played in my decision. Although I still have a lot of details to work out..as my lock just broke on the door I am determined to live out the dream I set forth, and who knows..maybe it will be immensely modified compared to the "plan" but seriously, whose life goes as planned really??

It's important that I thank everyone for being part of a larger family of tin can lovers. No one I know personally quite understands my fascination with Airstreams, and thinks I am even more crazy to have the puppy just sitting around in friends driveways with no use for the last year with the circumstances. It has been a struggle to keep her alive, as most people thought I should have sold her a long time ago. They just don't understand, do they. I know you guys understand.

And your right. So far the old girl has been better than any relationship I have had so far..and your right about the boyfriends.

I have to say, with all the love and support, does my airstream family offer worldy advice as well?

So, the tenative plan..do I

A) Work my booty off in a job with a boss from hell and get out of debt in a few years and start again at square 1

or

B) Save enough money to tide me over for a while so that I can quit my job and travel in the airstream and see the rest of the worlds here in the states I have been dying to get out in..and buy myself some time to figure out my next plan..how to full time on the road in the AS.

C) Open to suggestions...

Awaiting your ever so lovely replies, thank you, thank you, thank you

In gratitude

Lucy P
LucyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
being out of debt is very important. living the dream is not cheap! bosses from hell are bad but at least you're not jobless. as the economy eventually rebounds, the opportunities for jobs and adventure will improve!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I vote for "A"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyPepper View Post
My lovely airstream family,

A) Work my booty off in a job with a boss from hell and get out of debt in a few years and start again at square 1

In gratitude

Lucy P
Hi, get out of dept and you will be free like a bird. Or at least feel like it. Cut the anchor off of the end of that chain and move on; And don't look back.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Do what you need to do for yourself, and don't let the boss from hell deter you. Get out of debt before you hit the road. Focus on your dream, plan and prepare. It will happen. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Lucy,
Now you have a really good idea and I dont think you caught it,
you want out of debt,
go full time,
get a good TowV.
There is no time like the present, its just you, find a place where you can live in your AS year round ( I know they have them in your area), move out of your place you are paying for and into your AS, take that extra money to pay off your debts and get your TowV, get rid of those things you dont need, etc, at the same time you are preparing yourself for the full timer status which by the way is what most full timers do once they decide to full time.
Another thing is check these out;
Workamper News
Work for RVers and Campers: Employment, RV Based Businesses, Volunteer Jobs

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
.....A reasonablly priced tow vehicle (TV) is usually easier to come by than a good trailer.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

AND Cheaper to replace than a Bad Boyfriend!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Advice???????

Well...Asking these fine forum members for advice about keeping an Airstream is like asking.....a coyote about what you should do with a porterhouse steak. But actually keeping it at a campground or a friends property, Is an option to consider.
I am a father, and I pretend to be a good one, by asking questions.

1) Do you live near any fantastic free places to camp, like UTAH !!!!!

2) Do you live where there is a fantastic road trip in any direction????

3) Do you think having an Airstream might very well help spark up a
conversation with some nice guy who likes Airstreams?

4) Do you want to keep the trailer?

5) Can you afford to keep the trailer? Do you have credit card dept?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Tough love time

If you decide to keep the trailer and tow it.

Forget what these forums members say about how easy it is to tow.
Things aren't always easy the first time.

1) READ ALL YOU CAN ABOUT HITCHING, TOWING, AND SAFETY

2) TALK TO EVERYONE YOU CAN ABOUT TOWING,

3) WRITE STUFF DOWN AND MAKES CHECKLISTS

4) PRACTICE IN A PARKING LOT

5) LEARN FROM OTHERS MISTAKES, LIKE PILOTS DO
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
He's Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
If you decide to keep the trailer and tow it.

Forget what these forums members say about how easy it is to tow.
Things aren't always easy the first time.

1) READ ALL YOU CAN ABOUT HITCHING, TOWING, AND SAFETY

2) TALK TO EVERYONE YOU CAN ABOUT TOWING,

3) WRITE STUFF DOWN AND MAKES CHECKLISTS

4) PRACTICE IN A PARKING LOT

5) LEARN FROM OTHERS MISTAKES, LIKE PILOTS DO
Hitching, towing, and traveling with an Airstream didn't come naturally overnight for this girl. I read lots on such before I even found an Airstream. But reading and doing are two different animals. A good friend went with me to pick up my first AS and took me for a mandatory towing inservice at a nearby parking lot before we headed home. It helped, but I still had to reliquish the wheel to him when I got myself stuck in a tight spot at a wrong turn.

Still, I was a total cluster the first time out at a campground. Even with a checklist I screwed up my unhitching sequence and the ball was stuck in the coupler until a passerby pointed out my mistake. I failed at basic hookups and had to call the previous owner for advice.

Things got easier every time I camped. It took about a full year before I felt totally competent with the major nuances of Trailer Management 101. And I still learn something new every time out.

There is a learning curve, but it is certainly doable. Especially if you WANT to do it. As far as other wordly advice, I'm not so good at that. But I'm confident you will choose a strategy that will take you where you want to go.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #40

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
AND Cheaper to replace than a Bad Boyfriend!

Ditto...What She Said!!!!!!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote